Print Thread
Hop To
J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Anyone shoot one or own one? I am thinking of dumping my new Shield in 9mm to try one. crazy

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I own both. I just switched to a Shield 45. In my opinion, in that size of 9mm, the Walther PPS is superior to every gun in it's class that I have tried. Once again, I say, in my opinion.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
superior accuracy I am guessing?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by TheBigSky
I own both. I just switched to a Shield 45. In my opinion, in that size of 9mm, the Walther PPS is superior to every gun in it's class that I have tried. Once again, I say, in my opinion.

I'm looking hard at a PPS-M2 in 40 S&W and would sure like to hear from anyone with trigger time on one. I've used the 40 extensively (and handguns that actually kick) so its recoil is of no consequence to me.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by jimmyp
Anyone shoot one or own one? I am thinking of dumping my new Shield in 9mm to try one. crazy
I shot 200 rounds through the PPS and though it was comfortable it only holds six and its bigger/heavier and the Shield is big enough. There are a host of other minor details that keep me away from most Walther products anyways. Decent gun but wouldn't carry one over a Shield

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Debated PPS vs. Shield for a 9mm CCW and went PPS M2. I want t like the Shield, but the grip is a bit too diminutive. Had the PPS out for the first time last weekend, and was pleased. Trigger is pretty respectable. Recoils is remarkably tame, including shooting 147gr and some s.d. rounds (gold dot short-barrel). Had a little trouble keeping my saftey thumb away from the slide release and had some failure to lock-backs from that. The factory rear sight is more open than am accustomed too, but we'll see, may warm up to it or might change it at some point.

I wasn't "in love" after shooting a couple hundred rounds thru it in the snow, but I do like it, plan to work with it a while. Particularly like the compact size with a reasonably normal grip size using the 7rd extended mags. Trigger is pretty good. And was a breeze to clean.

Prior to this, my ccw 9mm was the Sig 938, which I wanted to like as I love the little 238, but there too, the 938 grip is just a little too diminutive for me to have the best control of.

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I like the 3 finger grooves on the PPS but prefer the button mag release on the PPS M2.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
A Walther CCP is a better comparison to the Shield.
Heavier than the PPS. BOTH Walthers fit nice in the hand. Don't own a Shield. Have to get out to the range to try 'em out..bought them for the wife and daughter. I carry a 5 shot S&W 38 airweight revolver.
BTW...you can add in the Ruger LCS9 into this mix.
I'll take any of the 3

Last edited by Penobscot_99; 02/27/17.
J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Why the CCW? Most everyone compares the 3 guns, PPS M2, G43, and Shield? The one review on the CCW I read says its trigger was awful and it uses delayed blowback unlike the 3 other guns. Curious why you indicate the CCW is more like the Shield.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Penobscot_99
A Walther CCP is a better comparison to the Shield.

I'm curious as to why? I ask because I have never owned a CCP or even held one. I have owned several PPSs and several Shields and, dimensional speaking, they are almost identical to one another. Thanks in advance.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
About this time last year I bought a Walther PPS M2 when looking to find something a little smaller and lighter than my SIG P239.
I have been very pleased with the PPS M2, love the ergonomics, it fits my hand well and shoots the 124gr. Speer GDHP very well.
It is my daily carry here where the uniform of the day is shorts, golf shirt and flip flops.
I like it well enough to get another one as a spare.

StarchedCover

Semper Fi
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I'm in the same conundrum. Loved the way the Shield and PPS M2 feel in the hand. The PPS was a little too slim for me. The Glock 43 didn't have that same feel, but I have not shot any of those yet.
For some reason, mentally, I want to love the PPS M2, but will go with the one that shoots best when I get the chance to try them.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I agree with TheBigSky. I run a PPS M1 in 9mm. I prefer the M1 ergos to the M2. I run the 6, 7, and 8 round mags. Nothing better in my opinion for a single stack 9mm CCW that is carried on a belt strong side.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I have a 40 shield, every day carry, but not a gun you want to put a lot of rounds through. It is very snappy on recoil and I'm not recoil sensitive. Seems to be very accurate for such a small gun.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Walther PPS is excellent. I've got the first gen version with the paddle style ala HK style of mag release. Because of using HK products I prefer the euro style release as it eliminates accidental mag releases I sometimes get on Glock pistols.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

96 members (35, 21, 358wsm, 6mmbrfan, 406_SBC, 10Glocks, 16 invisible), 1,487 guests, and 878 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,243
Posts18,485,943
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.