Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I am a huge fan of shooting pigs through at least one shoulder, with enough gun. I believe 22 calibers are generally too small and the 24s are marginal. Using the right bullet, in the hands of an experienced shot, they can work, but as I said are marginal in my opinion. I think the best hog calibers start with the 6.5s and go up from there. Almost all off the hogs I've seen have killed have been killed with these calibers. 99% of the hogs I've killed using a 7x57, 280, and 30.06. I have head shot a few pigs. A few I've missed. I don't recommend this as pigs are constantly moving, both forward and backward and the brain is smaller than a tangerine. The pigs kill zone is much more forward than a deer's. Most shots behind the shoulder, except high ones, will miss the lungs. My friends and i started shooting, where we tried to take out at least one shoulder, whether entrance or exit, it didn't matter. That shot is about the size of a volleyball. Which is easier to hit, a tangerine or a volleyball? Since then, we have never had a pig move more than a couple of feet. Most have fallen and done the piggy break dance.
Sorry I'm so long winded. Here is the question.
Have you ever taken out a pigs shoulder, penetrate, the area between, and had one run? Captdavid

"It's not how hard you hit 'em, it's where you hit 'em." The 30-06 will, with the right bullet, successfully take any game animal in North America up to 300yds.

If you are a hunter, and farther than that, get closer!
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nope

Only a fool would sell an accurate .30-06
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I hit one broadside double lung shot, he took two steps and flopped. 270 Winchester with 130 grain Hornaday interlock bullet. I did not hit the shoulder.

If you reload, there's no such thing as an obsolete cartridge.

Once you render an opinion, you open yourself up to criticism.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I almost always shoot them in the head, unless I am shooting one for a Mexican family, then I use neck shots. It you shoot them in the head, you ruin all the tamale meat. laugh

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I always go for the shoulder. As you said, the hogs vitals are further forward so you have a choice of head, neck or shoulder.

Scott
IC B2

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by captdavid
Here is the question.
Have you ever taken out a pigs shoulder, penetrate, the area between, and had one run?

No. I try to avoid that shot, because it does this:

[Linked Image]

... and I really like to eat shoulders. blush

The only "behind the shoulder" shot I've taken on a hog was with a .223, and the 64 grain soft point dropped him right there. The same bullet in the ear is deadly, too.

I hunt hogs for meat, however. If I were trying to cull them from an area, I'd have no problem with shoulder shots.

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
What were u using? We call it PSI! Pig Scene Investigation. We use non-magnums with c&cs bondeds and Partitions and I've never seen that. Captdavid

"It's not how hard you hit 'em, it's where you hit 'em." The 30-06 will, with the right bullet, successfully take any game animal in North America up to 300yds.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
120 NBT from a 7-08 at < 15 yards. Yeah... I shoulda gone for the head... blush

I took another at 80-ish yards with that same setup a couple years later, and had about the same results.

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
120 TTSX, 26 Nosler at a hundred yds or so.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yep. I was planning to shoot it in the head. But it saw me and started to turn. I quickly aimed at the far shoulder and let fly. The Barnes LRX 127 grainer was launched at 3,350 feet per second. The pig was maybe twenty yards away. After the shot it made about thirty feet before collapsing. The off shoulder was fine.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
The one pictured above was DRT.

DF

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
We take the shots that are offered. That said, I'd say it's not the placement, but the bullet and velocity. I also almost exclusively use my 7x57, 150 Partitions @ 2700fps. I'll have some meat damage, but they always fall. I'm considering using 175RNs @2400fps. Two I've killed with that load, one could almost eat up to the hole. Captdavid

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
.444 Marlin

[Linked Image]

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Yuck.

DF

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
SHOOT THEM IN THE NECK,half way between back of jowl to shoulder.half way from top of neck to bottom.Bigger target and absolutely no tracking needed if done right.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
1st pig I killed some years ago was a lesson in bullet placement.

I was sitting a ground box blind at the T in the jeep track & backed up to a fence line, facing our lease, with a thick heavy shin oak thicket behind me. Heard some crunching behind & left of me and out popped the lil porker about 50-60 yards away and headed towards the dozer cut to my left. Eased the 257Rbts M70 out the window, and he stopped for a second catching my motion, put the crosshairs just below his right ear & at the safety's click noise going into battery he wheeled and scooted as I pulled the trigger. The bullet caught him on the point of his right shoulder and rolled him over.

He scrambled up and 3 legged hauled butt into the brush line by the dozer track inside our lease and out of sight to my open mouthed amazement, faster than I can type this.

Reloaded, sat back and studied on what I had not just accomplished , my 1st hog kill...when lo & behold he popped out again from the same original place, going the same route as before dragging the right front leg...and I popped him again a little further back in the usual WTail KZ of the crease, rolled him over again, waited a few minutes to see if he was staying down, and started getting put of the blind...when he got up and crawled down a game trail into the 30' high wall of finger thick briar in front of him.

I waited by my watch a full 15 minutes past when I could no longer hear him thrashing around in the wall of briar...and got down on my hands and knees or belly to crawl down the same game trail & quickly shed as much clothing and back pack that was hanging up on the briar as I could.

Found him about 100 feet deep in the briar, put another couple bullets in him to the center and left of the cowlick on his chest at about 50-60 feet when he stood up to challenge me and he laid back down still clicking his cutters.

Waited another 7-8 minutes and moved forward again, and he stood up, when I got closer, still wanting to fight and I hit him just under his right eye sighting down the side of the barrel and finally AC'd the back side of his skull with my last bullet.

He'd almost made it back out of the wall of briar to the dozer track. If he hadn't I'd left him lay as I was wore out from fighting the briar...and still took me a half hour to drag him about 20' to where I could stand up.

After that experience with the lil 125/130lb porker in 1982, I changed 2 things about shooting hogs whenever possible ...I switched from the hyper accurate now discontinued WW 100gr Silvertip 257 Rbt's ammo into harder and faster 130 or 150 grain 270's, and stopped using the classic WT shoulder crease shot Period. If I can't hit a shoulder and break a hog down, I only take base of the skull from behind or q'tred away to behind the eye shots centered on & just below the ear hole from any angle on a side shot. Those bullet placement locations are always bang flop shots.

Had a 150/160lb'er take a RP CL 165gr '06 bullet at 50-60 feet in a driving rain storm right before full dark, impact was just behind the last rib on the left side when we spooked each other meeting on a game trail, and he wheeled to gewt away. Took out lots of vitals and his right shoulder from inside & recovered the bullet just under the skin on the outside of his right shoulder...and still needed a final Kill Shot. Just 'cause a hog's down don't mean he's a DRT and safe to walk up on.

FWIW I'll never crawl into another briar patch on a hog's natural ground again...some kinda scary Schit for sure listening to him grind his cutters at you and you can't even stand up for the all the briar pulling at you...much less try and move away from him...is the stuff of late nite sweaty wakeups.

Elmer Keith said..." Use Enough Gun " as I recall.
Ron

TIME FOR TERM LIMITS !!!! Politicians are just like diapers, they need to be changed often and regularly for the same reason...Robin Williams.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I shoot them in the shoulders too. I use 25 06 and up. I have shot quite a few with an AR. The 52 grain Barnes will go through both shoulders. I have trap gates on 3 feeder pens, so I catch quite a few. Pigs are good shooting practice and good to test bullets on. Shooting pigs convinced me Berger VLD bullets weren't all that great, but that's just my opinion.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
hanco, you mentiond pens, a good bud has perfected killing hogs in a pen. I've seen it done a bunch of different ways, this is the slickest.

He walks up on a pen, stops before the hogs get nervous and start running around, probably 15 yds or so.

He uses a cheap .17 HMR with FMJ ammo. While the hogs are staring at him, he lines up on their heads, draws an imaginary line between their eyes, goes 1" above that line at midpoint. He waits until the target is well within an opening in the wire and fires. The hog drops, eyes poked out on stems, weird looking. Little or no bleeding.

He waits until they settle down, does it again. He can kill a whole pen of hogs without blood, squeeling or chaos.

DF

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I only shoot shoulders, when possible. Puts them down - usually "right now". In my .44 mag I use heavy for caliber hard cast, flat-nose bullets. Don't expand, don't need to, don't tear up as much meat. 300 gr Barnes Busters in .44 are good, also, as well as TTSX in other calibers. Shot a big sow through the shoulders at 120 yards with a 130 TTSX out of a .300 Win Mag once, and it put her lights out immediately, with minimal meat destruction.

If you aren't worried about meat, shoulder or neck is the place to shoot with just about any caliber. Even when shooting for meat, consider whether a bit of blood shot meat is worse than having to chase a wounded, animal - which will probably taste worse.

We do eat shoulders as pulled pork, roasts, or in sausage, but mainly prefer back straps and hams - ribs are good, also.

Mike

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
My latest hog medicine, a .45 Colt Marlin Cowboy shooting 300 gr. cast and jacketed bullets over 22 gr. 4227. Haven't clocked it yet, but out of a 24" barrel, should be close to 1,700 fps.

I got this gun used back when I was in the cowboy action game. It had been slicked up by "Rusty Marlin" a CAS from N.H. His name is Rob Zimmerman, a production engineer for Ruger at the time. IIRC, he later moved to MD to work for Beretta.

Gun is super slick with a great trigger. It now wears a VX-3i 2.5-8x36. The comb was for a Bushnell Holosight. I left it in place, used higher rings and can operate the hammer without an extension. About 8#'s as shown.

DF

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I've only killed 4 in my life. That was last year at the 24Hr Hog hunt. All were head and neck shots with a 30-06. All of them went down, however, one of them I got high on the neck and was still alive and had to shoot it again. I think most of the guys on the hunt recommended the head or neck, so that where I placed them.

This year I'll be using a 300 Blackout with 110gr TTSX's. I hope I'll have good results but I'm a little worried. I'm not sure if I should try the shoulder or not. I found the neck is a big enough target, but as captdavid said, they don't stop moving. Wish me luck, we'll be perforating pigs Thursday through Saturday this week.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
A good bud, who's killed a lot of hogs, says aim 2/3rds up the shoulder which hits the spine. High shoulder, forward along the neck to the head seems optimal.

DF

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I agree the neck shot is a drt, if you hit the spine. But again, you must hit the spine, or the jugular. As the brain is the size of a tangerine, the neck bone (technical term, hehe) is about the size of a 2x4. They've both harder to hit than a soccer ball! captdavid

E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
My first pig was a shoulder shot one with a 44 mag at 42 yds and it ran a ways so I quit that.

Now I neck shoot em & I've used 30-06, 257 AI, and 6-250 on those shots and the pigs and I couldn't tell the difference.

My son shot a pair of pretty good sized boats with a 90 gr from my 6-250 and it worked beautifully.

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ron--great story.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
few, I'm not sure I understand. How far did it run before you found it? Captdavid

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I have seen a couple that the eyes have blown out. It's kinda creepy looking. The pigs I have killed with my bow haven't gone too far except one I shot in the ass. I try to hit them quartering away. Bow bullet goes into heart. They are hard to kill with a bow. Pig has a better nose than a deer. I like to hear them squeal.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
Full disclosure: I have never hunted hogs and have no experience in doing so. Given the nature of this thread, however, I am copying and pasting this exerpt from a PM I got several years ago here from a fellow I was discussing .224 deer bullets with back and forth. The bullet in question is the 65 grain SGK:

and on the last day I shoot a decent boar about 150 lbs with the 223. He was about 90 yards broadside. I was going to shoot him behind the ear. I thought no, that is no test of a bullet. So I held it dead on his shoulder and broke the shot. I expected him to run off really mad. When I pulled the trigger he hit the ground kicked 2 times and was DRT. I kept the cross hairs on him for about 5 minutes expecting him to get up. When I rolled him over on his back to field dress him, I saw an exit wound right behind the off side shoulder. I was shocked. The exit was about 33 caliber in diameter. I was impressed for a 65 gr. bullet out of a 223. I know one shot proves nothing, but I am convinced it will work on whitetail. They are not nearly as heavy built as a hog. A hog has thick heavy skin, gristle plate and bones. That little bullet plowed through all of it. I have to wonder if the 65 gr. Sierra might be a fur friendly bullet. Seems pretty tough, I am sure it wouldn't blow up.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I've never found pigs hard to kill, and don't specifically shoot for the shoulders, I do always use a bullet and load that gives complete penetration no matter where they're hit though.

I DO shoot deer and elk in the shoulders.

Trump Won!
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
A gunner killed pig is a super dead pig... grin

Probably scared to death by a humongous fire belching BP Sharps.

Hits are optional... shocked

DF

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by cra1948
Full disclosure: I have never hunted hogs and have no experience in doing so. Given the nature of this thread, however, I am copying and pasting this exerpt from a PM I got several years ago here from a fellow I was discussing .224 deer bullets with back and forth. The bullet in question is the 65 grain SGK:

and on the last day I shoot a decent boar about 150 lbs with the 223. He was about 90 yards broadside. I was going to shoot him behind the ear. I thought no, that is no test of a bullet. So I held it dead on his shoulder and broke the shot. I expected him to run off really mad. When I pulled the trigger he hit the ground kicked 2 times and was DRT. I kept the cross hairs on him for about 5 minutes expecting him to get up. When I rolled him over on his back to field dress him, I saw an exit wound right behind the off side shoulder. I was shocked. The exit was about 33 caliber in diameter. I was impressed for a 65 gr. bullet out of a 223. I know one shot proves nothing, but I am convinced it will work on whitetail. They are not nearly as heavy built as a hog. A hog has thick heavy skin, gristle plate and bones. That little bullet plowed through all of it. I have to wonder if the 65 gr. Sierra might be a fur friendly bullet. Seems pretty tough, I am sure it wouldn't blow up.

================================================================================

I can say I would have a good bit of confidence in the 65gr. gameking having shot a big armadilla at around 150 yards with a 12tw 22-250 .
It praire dogged the diller -pieces flew , no doubt it would wreck a hog with good shot placement .

Last edited by ol_mike; 03/07/17.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I have a custom Mini 14, .223 that just loves the 65 gr. Gameking, best shooting bullet in that gun.

It's a good bullet and a killer.

DF

Edited to add, a lot depends on velocity. A great bullet at .223 speeds may be less than optimal at .22-250 speeds. I haven't tried the 65 gr. Gameking in my .22-250, it's great in the .223. I have other bullets for the .22-250, save the Gamekings for this rifle.

I've posted before, matching bullet construction/terminal performance to velocity is an art.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 03/08/17.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
Dirt farmer - Tell us about that Mini-14.

Mathew 22: 37-39

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by cra1948
Dirt farmer - Tell us about that Mini-14.

It's a full custom by Accuracy Systems. Their prices are WAY more now than when I had this done. Here's their link. http://www.accuratemini14.com/index.php Expensive but good work. Glad I got mine done back when.

This Ranch Rifle had been carried for years in a pickup, used by my cow hands to kill 'yotes. When I got it back, the barrel was toast, it was sorta "used" if you get my drift. So, I felt it was fully "depreciated" and I could justify spending what was needed for it to have a second life.

It had their three screw bedding, trigger job, SS match barrel with brake, custom gas port. I took the factory stock, cut the comb off on a table saw, glued on a piece of pine, shaped it to suit, then applied Brownells wrinkle paint.

Here's a picture of their three screw bedding and the brake which directs gases forward. It's not as loud as some.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
few, I'm not sure I understand. How far did it run before you found it? Captdavid

75 yds? With thick, thick cover nearby that's quite a distance.

And 75 yds further than they run when neck shot.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
They are a bit spendy, aren't they? Just add the cost of a really good AR to your Mini-14 and you've got a pretty good rifle.

Mathew 22: 37-39

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Yeah, you get more accuracy out of the box with an AR. Even a cheap AR will probably outshoot most Mini 14's.

I justified mine by figuring the well "used" Mini as not having much value.

A Loony will justify what he has to justify... blush

DF

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

For the last 8-10 hogs I've killed I took only head shots. They were all one shot kills and damaged virtually no good meat.

If I could not get a clean head shot, I did not shoot.

The whole process has worked extremely well for me.

Your mileage may vary, but I doubt it!!

Steve

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Interesting discussion. I have shot pigs with my 220, 270, 223, and 260. The 270 works great. The 220 kills them, but they run a ways. The 223, depending on the bullet, can work Ok. And for the last few years, I've tried 100 gr Nosler BT's and 120 gr BT's in the 260. I shoot em in the shoulder, and I am now firmly convinced that the 120 gr in the 260 is noticeably more effective on hogs than the 100 gr version.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Have you ever taken out a pigs shoulder, penetrate, the area between, and had one run? Captdavid

No. Shoulders and forward...dead. Behind shoulders...maybe dead, but takes awhile. Or, they'll just plain run off. I've blood trailed behind the shoulder shot hogs 400 yards, spittin' it out, until I figured the coyotes needed them more than I did. Never finding them.

This year I reached 150, so I have quite a bit of experience, and quite a few different situations.

223, 6.8, 708, and 284 WIN.

Originally Posted by archie_james_c
I should have just
bought a [bleep] T3...

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I "killed" a good sized hog with a behind the shoulder shot with a .257 Wby. Knocked him flat. He lay there, "dead" for several minutes, then let out a blood curdling roar, got up and ran into the woods. I'm sure he died.

The impact from that fast bullet stunned him, for sure. When he came to, he was able to run off.

I've never heard a hog make such a racket, it was startling.

I was so intrigued, watching that dead hog run, that I never thought about shooting him again. I was caught off guard, big time.

Dead hogs coming to life can have that effect... shocked

DF

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Wow that's crazy Dirtfarmer .

I was looking at TXBoars hunting lights today and they had a couple of video's showing the hogs in the light - when they were shot the guy said -put another bullet in him to make sure .
I think I'll start giving them an extra -just to be sure .

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Never thought of shooting a dead hog... shocked

Now, looking back on it...

But a .257 Wby....!

Nothing walks away from one of those..?

Well, sometimes... blush

DF

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

DF

LOL, the FLAMES keep ya from scraping the hair. grin

Trump Won!
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by gunner500

DF

LOL, the FLAMES keep ya from scraping the hair. grin

Now, what smells worse, burned pig hair or a cloud of blue smoke from a charcoal burner... shocked

Sorta bad, either way... cry

DF

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Last year, I shot a 250# hog, behind the shoulder, with a 257 Wby, at 75 yards. He ran into the woods with no obvious ill effect. Only went about 30 yds and piled up. The 120 gr Nosler Partition destroyed his chest cavity, but I was surprised to find the bullet did not exit. That is the first critter I have ever shot with that rifle that the bullet didn't pass through. Hogs is tough!

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I hit a big sow behind the shoulder a few years ago at 300 yds. with a 140 VLD from a 6.5-284. The hog didn't seem affected by the hit, went into the woods.

My good bud checked the next day, found her dead about 40 yds. from where she was hit. A big ole boar was lying next to her. He jumped up and my bud killed him. So, two for one...

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Here's an exception to the chest shot hog. The Cutting Edge Raptor is designed to frag and the copper frags to a lot of damage. I chest shot this hog just to see and found out, they work pretty well.

Here's the link. http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/10719100/2

I'm still a shoulder/neck/head shooter, but found this interesting.

DF

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I hit a big sow behind the shoulder a few years ago at 300 yds. with a 140 VLD from a 6.5-284. The hog didn't seem affected by the hit, went into the woods.

My good bud checked the next day, found her dead about 40 yds. from where she was hit. A big ole boar was lying next to her. He jumped up and my bud killed him. So, two for one...

DF

Shot about the same last week... same distance. 185 berger 308 win... DRT. Big enough exit hole. That was basically just a touch behind the shoulder going in.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by crittergetter
SHOOT THEM IN THE NECK,half way between back of jowl to shoulder.half way from top of neck to bottom.Bigger target and absolutely no tracking needed if done right.

Have you ever really looked at the size of the spine and its shape in the neck, vs the round target of the brain area?

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
And for those big gun guys... I kill most of the pigs I shoot these days at 50 yards and less, in the ear with a 22lr subsonic HP. Haven't had one get up yet in the last years...

Granted I doubt I've shot one more than 225 or 250ish pounds, most have been around 125-150 pounds.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Tomorrow, I'm gonna hog hunt with dogs. These hog dog guys like to catch'em, I like to shoot'em. Will carry my plastic T Bolt .22 WMR with FMJ's just in case I get an opportunity to cap one.

Very light, easy to carry with plenty of hog killing punch. Figure of 8 rotary mag, extra in the stock.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 03/10/17.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Ol Mike - the Texas Boars red lights work very well - even a night vision scope seems to "see" better with the red light than an IR enhancer - at least the cheap ones do. With any decent (optical) scope it is pretty easy to see your target in the red light, and it doesn't spook the hogs like a bright white light.

Dirt Farmer - .22 mag is a little light for much hog hunting, but probably a good choice with dogs. Too many times a .44 mag will go through the hog and kill or injure dogs. O course, most of the dog guys now want to just use a knife. (Not me!)

Mike

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Mikewriter

Dirt Farmer - .22 mag is a little light for much hog hunting, but probably a good choice with dogs. Too many times a .44 mag will go through the hog and kill or injure dogs. O course, most of the dog guys now want to just use a knife. (Not me!)

Mike

Mike,

This isn't my main hog gun. But for handy, light packing, it's good. I've killed and have seen killed numerous hogs with a .17 HMR using FMJ's. You gotta hit'em right, but it's amazing what that little round will do.

My .17 HMR is a serious rifle, an Annie 1717. My buddy's .17 HMR is a plastic Salvage that we use on hogs. I'll take this plastic T bolt places where Annie shouldn't go... blush

I just sighted it in using a makeshift bench, an aluminum patio table. The W/W 40 gr. FMJ, grouped slightly under 2" at 75 yds. The Fed 40 gr. FMJ grouped .8", so no surprise which ammo I'm using.

With (2) 10 shot mags, one in the gun, one in the butt stock, I'm ready to declare hog jihad... laugh

If it was my show, my dogs, I'd be packing my Ruger SBH, line bored by Jim Stroh to .45 Colt, shooting Penn Bullet's Thunderhead 270's. Those things will whack a hog with authority. Loaded to reasonable speeds, not trying to turn the .45 Colt into a .454 Casull, I don't think they'd blow thru a hog like a .44 Mag. Placed right, they'd kill a hog just as quick/just as dead.

Thunderheads don't cycle thru my .45 Colt Marlin Cowboy (posted earlier) as slick as 300's. They cycle with a slight crunch and light resistance; they'd work in a pinch.

I heard a rumor that gunner likes this bullet, so what can I say... grin

DF

[Linked Image]

DF

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have just started trying to use an Optima .50 muzzle loader. With 360 gr .45 hard cast, it gives me 1378 fps, which should be all I need to flatten a big hog. I know my suppressed .44 mag Contender with 335 gr hard cast will - have shot through 2 hogs a couple of times and not found the bullet!

Mike

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Yes, that bullet is a very good killer DF, wont penetrate like a heavy LBT type hardcast but the audible slap when the bullet hits home is very enlightening. grin

IIRC I have hit two each on doe and pigs, I now load that bullet in my SAA 45 Colt with Sharpsguys Black Powder lube over 40 grs off 3F, velocity is 941 fps and more than enough for any deer or pig within my 50 yard max handgun range.

That being said, and what was stated earlier about the LBT's, I haven't recovered one of these on the animals I've shot with them.

Trump Won!
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Gunner, I was following you until you flipped to the dark side, charcoal burning, nasty smoke and such.

You one of those guys who think smokeless is a passing fad, won't stand the test of time...? cry

DF

J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Im wondering why a HP 44mag wouldnt be a great hog bullet. Years ago i used them out of my Ruger semiauto in the woods. The bullets didnt exit.

DF, im wondering why you would use 22 mag fmjs. Wouldnt a soft point get to the brain or spine and make a good hole through the lungs. Ive killed several with it and ear shots.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
A .44 mag slug exiting a hog would depend on bullet, velocity, distance, where hit and the size of the hog. I was going with the poster discussing bullet exit. I posted that the Penn Thunderhead at .45 Colt speeds isn't likely to exit, posing danger to dogs, etc. down range from the target critter.

FMJ's in the .17 HMR and .22 WMR seem to work well. Feral hogs can be tough targets. A .22 short or .22 LR behind the ear has historically been successful at hog killing time on the farm. Feral hogs aren't generally that cooperative. I don't trust varmint bullets on big, tough critters.

These rim fires aren't my first choice for hogs, but the can work under certain circumstances. They make great knock around guns, can perform in a pinch with the right ammo.

DF

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Isn't it interesting folks have different takes. Of course when rimfire hunting, I don't care if they walk off or not. No big deal and I have the patience to get close enough or wait for the right shot.

OTOH if I HAVE to kill one for whatever reason, I'd probably at least use a 223 or 243 with a good bullet. If i had to take ANY shot presented, then I"d probably take even more gun.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mikewriter

Mike

Mike,

This isn't my main hog gun. But for handy, light packing, it's good. I've killed and have seen killed numerous hogs with a .17 HMR using FMJ's. You gotta hit'em right, but it's amazing what that little round will do.

My .17 HMR is a serious rifle, an Annie 1717. My buddy's .17 HMR is a plastic Salvage that we use on hogs. I'll take this plastic T bolt places where Annie shouldn't go... blush

I just sighted it in using a makeshift bench, an aluminum patio table. The W/W 40 gr. FMJ, grouped slightly under 2" at 75 yds. The Fed 40 gr. FMJ grouped .8", so no surprise which ammo I'm using.

With (2) 10 shot mags, one in the gun, one in the butt stock, I'm ready to declare hog jihad... laugh

I take it both of yall are in a blind, or have the hogs already penned up or something. Surely you aren't going after them on foot with rimfires?

I wanted to do some ballistics testing yesterday and I put a round from my .338 Federal in a hogs right hind quarter trying to angle through his whole body to come out the opposite side front quarter (if it exited at all) hoping to see how much penetration it would give. He did hit the groud like a ton of bricks, popped up, did the tornado death dance for a Few seconds and then started to limp off when I put another one near his neck... he sped up on his escape and kept on going. Blood everywhere at the site of the little tornado dance, but none beyond that, when tracking him another 2 hogs jumped out from my left. And I dropped one of them with a quartering vitals shot with the .338 Federal. He hit the groud and tried to get up squealing but never could. Guts hanging out one side of him, in a puddle of pink blood. Then I went to the house to get the Pistol because it looked like #1 was either in cedar or shin oak thickets, and it was obvious that the area was crawling with the nasty basards. Came back, and while looking for #1, 2 more pigs flushed from the same general area as #2 came from. They were running off and I dropped a 200gr. Fusion in the slow ones noggin at 40-60 yards. Never found the first one, but got ugly enough looking for it to pick up 2 ticks... the more I use it the more I love that 1.2-5x 36 Zeiss Duralyt scope. When tracking I have it so low I can see the end of the barrel through it... Never found #1 but no doubt he's on the property dead somewhere, but the ranch hands can get $50 for the other 2 tails from the county.

Moral of the story, Hogs are tough. Placement is key. Bigger BB's help, but they can't make up for bad placement... eyeball and ear shots are great, but not always possible offhand at a running animal in thick cover. Its all a compromise.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I don't shoot running animals or any animal thats in cover where a deflection could happen. Just my personal ethics. Clean proven shot or none.

I can't recall hunting a pig out of a blind actually. Though i'm sure I"ve shot one out of a blind at some point, I just can't actually recall it.

IMHO hogs are not tough at all, just have to know where and how to hit em

I hunt pigs on foot with a rimfire all the time.

Granted I did have one get up once that was hit with an arrow, and I did have to kick it away from me, but she was so far gone by then it was nothing. I"ve had a wounded one bounce off my boots once bowhunting where I was in such thick stuff all I could do is scream LOL.

But I've yet to see a tough hard pig. Wife even killed one that bottomed at 350 ish pound scale, with one arrow to the heart. No biggy. only 45ish pound draw weight, over 2 inch thick shields and the tip of the zwickey was sticking out the hide on the off side.

I've shot so many pigs with a 22LR pistol after folks shoot the first out of the bunch with some "big" deer rifle that its not even funny. All of those were with HPs and ribcage shots. Granted I shoot for meat so none of those were over 125 mostly, and generally around 50-60 hopefully.

J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by rost495
Isn't it interesting folks have different takes. Of course when rimfire hunting, I don't care if they walk off or not. No big deal and I have the patience to get close enough or wait for the right shot.

OTOH if I HAVE to kill one for whatever reason, I'd probably at least use a 223 or 243 with a good bullet. If i had to take ANY shot presented, then I"d probably take even more gun.

Well said, Jeff, and spot on.

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Jeff, if you shoot for lungs with a 22 hp, does it get into both of them.

How far do they run?

Do you have a dog to follow them up? Im figuring mighty minimal blood trail from one small entrance hole.

I Dindo Nuffin
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
rost,

A good friend, this past week, killed three hogs with his Marlin 39. He killed two DRT, a third ran into the woods squeeling, probably gut or lung shot. Dead hogs are good hogs.

This guy head shoots squirrels with this gun, knows how to shoot. So, a good shooter with a .22 LR can do damage to hogs.

jaguartx,

The round isn't nearly as important as hitting CNS for a DRT. How far they run, etc., who knows. The chest shot hog I posted earlier, hit with a Cutting Edge Raptor out of a .308, killed the hog DRT. Shrapnel (petals) hit the spine, so a chest shot was actually a CNS shot. Most bullets, round/caliber notwithstanding, won't do that without a direct spine or CNS hit.

DF

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Never had one not make both lungs, cci mini mag Hps where all I'd use though as I"ve trusted those since I was a kid. Not saying others wouldn't work.

Distance traveled usually 50-75 yards. For some reason a lung shot animal tends to go down quicker than a heart shot IMHO. They may not be dead when they go down but they "bed up" quicker.

Due to my archery background, I never trail quickly ever. Even rifle shots. We'd usually shoot a pig with a deer rifle, and then I'd plink one, we would walk back to camp, get some gear, and a vehicle and then drive up about 100 yards off, and then go look for mine until we found it.

Blood was sparse but as I said I"m a bowhunter for so many years no biggy. Never had a dog in those days. Have one now and I never knew what I was missing.... though I don't ever recall loosing a pig from the MK2 pistol.

Even these days with a rifle, I shot the largest deer I"ll likely ever kill, almost 160 inches gross in the hill country 2 years ago. One shot. Never saw where he went. Buddy kept texting did you find him? Nope, this was barely daylight opening day, first deer I think I ever shot on opening day save a couple of trash bucks. I said we can look when we are done hunting in a couple hours. Theory there... if he is dead, he ain't leaving. If he isn't, then time is a good thing, and if he isn't going to die or I missed, then tramping around 5 or 30 minutes after the shot does no good at all. Sorry to get OT there... But I"ve seen double lung shot deer alive 3 hours after they were shot, simply because both bedded up right away and clotted. But when they got up as we looked for them, and walked off, neither made more than 50 more steps before unclotting and bleeding the rest of the way out. Both were archery hits.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
rost,

A good friend, this past week, killed three hogs with his Marlin 39. He killed two DRT, a third ran into the woods squeeling, probably gut or lung shot. Dead hogs are good hogs.

This guy head shoots squirrels with this gun, knows how to shoot. So, a good shooter with a .22 LR can do damage to hogs.

jaguartx,

The round isn't nearly as important as hitting CNS for a DRT. How far they run, etc., who knows. The chest shot hog I posted earlier, hit with a Cutting Edge Raptor out of a .308, killed the hog DRT. Shrapnel (petals) hit the spine, so a chest shot was actually a CNS shot. Most bullets, round/caliber notwithstanding, won't do that without a direct spine or CNS hit.

DF

VERY rare is the hit that does not hit CNS but drops a deer... CNS is the only way to have DRT every last time....

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Dosen't really matter, best case is they run off and die,then you don't have to mess with the stinking, disease ridden vermin!!!

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by mohick
Dosen't really matter, best case is they run off and die,then you don't have to mess with the stinking, disease ridden vermin!!!

+1

DF

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
A terrible thing has happened. After all the bragging I've done about Scenar 155 grain bullets out of my .30-06 on hogs I shot a big one yesterday evening very late at 187 yards. Due to badly failing light I just centered the lighted dot on the pig and squeezed the trigger. He apparently walked off bleeding. I followed the trail about 80 yards and decided to wait and check it out this morning. Probably no exit hole and a less than perfect hit. I'm on blood thinners and have heart trouble. Not a good idea to get into a hand to tusk tussle with a Russian boar in the dark. My camera got a picture of him about 2 minutes before the shot, he was really big maybe 300-350.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
No loss!!!

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Hastings,

I agree with mohick, not a terrible thing at all, a good thing.

Hog for sure will die and you won't have to haul/drag him off. Hog took care of that problem himself while "enjoying" the Scenar effect... grin

DF

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

Some of us enjoy eating the right ones. Such as not to waste a resource. YMMV

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Hastings
A terrible thing has happened. After all the bragging I've done about Scenar 155 grain bullets out of my .30-06 on hogs I shot a big one yesterday evening very late at 187 yards. Due to badly failing light I just centered the lighted dot on the pig and squeezed the trigger. He apparently walked off bleeding. I followed the trail about 80 yards and decided to wait and check it out this morning. Probably no exit hole and a less than perfect hit. I'm on blood thinners and have heart trouble. Not a good idea to get into a hand to tusk tussle with a Russian boar in the dark. My camera got a picture of him about 2 minutes before the shot, he was really big maybe 300-350.

If it matters, I"ve not found anything to stop a 185 berger yet. I"m sure its possible, thats why I"ll be moving up to 210/215 at some point.

No loss on a pig that big eating wise... maybe some good cutters or wanted for a mount or such, but other than that, unless cut, thats gonna be coyote food for sure.

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I guess we just have to agree to disagree. I don't shoot if I'm not positive I can make the shot, unless it's a wounded animal, getting away. I also don't think one should let any animal suffer, if at all possible. Captdavid

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Found him. He made it through the fence onto the neighbor's place. About a 200 yd run. Was hit right through the middle so I assume there was little or no lung and no heart damage. Bullet did a complete pass through. Neighbor kindly volunteered to take care of the drag off job.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I guess we just have to agree to disagree. I don't shoot if I'm not positive I can make the shot, unless it's a wounded animal, getting away. I also don't think one should let any animal suffer, if at all possible. Captdavid

I agree in principle, but hogs could be the exception.

If in Hastings' position, I would have done exactly the same. I'll cripple a hog to run off and die before I'd let him walk. Ruthless, maybe, but those suckers are ruthless, too. It's war, at least around here. I'm sure I speak for Hastings and lot of others in similar position, pastures being rooted up, property getting trashed, crops destroyed. It gets personal.

I quit eating feral hogs after watching a 300# boar hog carcass being eaten by 15-20 hogs, all of that seen on trial cam. Pretty gross. Subsequent to that, my pork comes from Kroger, hogs go to the gut pile.

You can eat'em. Just wear gloves while cleaning them. They are known to carry a number of diseases, some like Brucelosis, can be hard to get rid of. Bad stuff.

DF

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I've seen pigs eating pigs. No big deal to me personally. I try to wear gloves, you should. I"m pretty picky about what we do clean and eat though.

I won't shoot anything with just a passing glance, just to get a bullet into it. Not yotes, not pigs, nothing. Just me, its no judgement on others. Just don't care to let anything suffer.

Hell I can muck up a gimme shot easy enough.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
As hogs multiply and start messing up your property, maybe you'll get madder at'em than you currently are.

It can get personal, has with me.

Rules of engagement, "fairness", sportsmanship, etc., can take a back seat to expediency as the "war" heats up.

Never say never...

DF

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Would have to get awful tough, but you are right, never say never.

The fact that like yotes, you can't really dent pigs or yote populations anyway, well I likely would never get riled up enough to fling lead.

My nephew can take care of that for me though... he's more than happy to fling lots of lead in the general direction.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
screw em! Throw lead, a crippled pig ain't as good as a dead pig, but it is a lot better than a healthy one!!If they are bloodied the others will eat them!!Nasty scurge

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
On my lease the war is on. My 243 likes the 80 grain TTSX loaded hot, but I bet the hogs won't. The 95 grain Ballistic Tip has been good so far, but this year we're talking about more less than ideal shots since the gloves are off.

Just for kicks I might bring my 338 mag out of retirement.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
.338 WM may over penetrate... laugh

Should be a good hog gun.

I like TTSX's for hogs.

DF

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I also have a 26" barreled 300 Weatherby. I bet a 150 grain TTSX would scream out of that one. grin

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
The TTSX should work fine. When we hunt at night on our depredation permits we use an AR15 for increased rate of fire due to groups of 20+ swine. The .223 TTSX is not as deadly as the 155 Scenar in .30-06, but the lack of recoil and the semi-auto reloading sure helps at night in target acquisition and moving to another target. Our load is max Varget and 62 grain TTSX. It has worked very adequately out to 200 yards for us. Have considered a .300 Blackout and a suppressor but can hardly justify bringing another firearm in the house w/o getting rid of some.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Hastings
The TTSX should work fine. When we hunt at night on our depredation permits we use an AR15 for increased rate of fire due to groups of 20+ swine. The .223 TTSX is not as deadly as the 155 Scenar in .30-06, but the lack of recoil and the semi-auto reloading sure helps at night in target acquisition and moving to another target. Our load is max Varget and 62 grain TTSX. It has worked very adequately out to 200 yards for us. Have considered a .300 Blackout and a suppressor but can hardly justify bringing another firearm in the house w/o getting rid of some.

You never "justify" another firearm... shocked

I have an SSK AR .300 Whisper with a can. It's sorta heavy. Subsonic, it's good to around 100 yds, starts falling off after that. Subsonic 220's @ 1,000 fps, K.E. at a hundred is pretty close to a point blank .45 ACP, so they'll kill stuff.

I've thought about a thermal scope for the AR/Whisper, but they're really expensive and the gun is already heavy.

DF

Edited to add, ingwe likes lighter Barnes in his .223/.223AI. IIRC, he prefers the 53 gr. TSX.

I like TTSX's and would go with 50 gr. loaded to the max. Those may perform better than heavier Barnes in the .223.

I'd save 62 TTSX's for my fast twist .22-250, pushing them hard.

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 03/14/17.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by mathman
I also have a 26" barreled 300 Weatherby. I bet a 150 grain TTSX would scream out of that one. grin

Should make a dent... grin

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Another good .223 bullet is the 60 gr. Partition. Those kill well.

The 64 gr. Nosler Bonded solid base (BSB), reportedly has great terminal performance, I just never could get them to group.

Some like the 65 gr. Win Powerpoint, I have some to try, just never got around to it.

DF

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I just remembered I have a few hundred 190 grain Nosler match bullets. Maybe I'll find some match grade hogs.

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Can you shoot all the hogs out. I don't think so. Maybe you can scare them off for a while, but not kill them all. My experience is that pigs are not territorial. They move dependent upon food or human pressure. I suspect that they are much like coyote. Here in South Texas they did an experiment. I don't remember the exact facts, but here is the just of the matter. There was a ranch that was over 10,000 acres, as I recall. A state highway bisected the ranch approximately equally. On one side of the highway all coyoties were killed on sight. On the other side, none were shot. The ranch was monitored by TPW. At the end of 5 years the coyote population had remained the same on both sides. Captdavid

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Can you shoot all the hogs out. I don't think so. Maybe you can scare them off for a while, but not kill them all. My experience is that pigs are not territorial. They move dependent upon food or human pressure. I suspect that they are much like coyote. Here in South Texas they did an experiment. I don't remember the exact facts, but here is the just of the matter. There was a ranch that was over 10,000 acres, as I recall. A state highway bisected the ranch approximately equally. On one side of the highway all coyoties were killed on sight. On the other side, none were shot. The ranch was monitored by TPW. At the end of 5 years the coyote population had remained the same on both sides. Captdavid

You don't reckon a 'yote can cross a highway. Even if high fenced, they'll scratch under the wire and go where they want.

Wonder how much money TPW wasted on that one...

Hogs will breed faster than you or anyone can kill them.

They're smart, will adapt to about anything we can throw at them.

Choppers, well they stay in the brush, don't come out. Shooting pressure, they go nocturnal. Night scopes, they'll always find a way to move out of danger. Trapping works until they figure it out.

Not sure about poisoning with nitrites. Knowing hogs, they'll probably figure a way to avoid the bait.

DF

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
DF, thanks for making my point! captdavid

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by mathman

Just for kicks I might bring my 338 mag out of retirement.

I shot one with a .338 WM, it did indeed 'way over penetrate.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
That's not as bad as elkhunternm killing NM jackwabbits with his .460 and other such mega cannons... blush

He'd probably consider the .338 WM a bit light.

And, we thought gunner was bad.

DF

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
In my 7mm, 300, and 338 mag days I was not the conservative loader I am now either.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
my favorite shot is as follows

[Linked Image]

draw an imaginary line between the ear and shoulder and place a well constructed bullet two inches (or so)below the ear on that line. Severs the spine and they drop and paddle

Do that and they will drop and paddle! No tracking necessary!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

a skosh back

[Linked Image]

or forward

[Linked Image]

one is still good

ya!

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 03/14/17.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ah, you learned where to shoot them from your "Mexican" friends, too!

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Shot a large boar in that exact spot with a 180gr soft nose from a .300 Savage a few years ago. Pretty much took his head off, and he almost squashed two baby pigs when he fell.

Mike

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Good thread, and I certainly enjoyed the read. Like others have said, I'll take the shot they give me, as long as I am comfortable and steady. Between the peepers, just below the earhole, though the neck or pin the shoulders. One of the three I shot this year was tight behind the shoulder and about one third of the way down from the top of the back. He ran for about 50 yards, but the blood trail was easy enough to follow.

If I had my way, I'd give up shooting deer for the rest of my days and shoot hogs at least once a month.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide

If I had my way, I'd give up shooting deer for the rest of my days and shoot hogs at least once a month.

I'm with ya' on that!

[Linked Image]

or maybe 3 or 4 times

ya!

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 03/14/17.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Screw that... 3 or 4 per day is a start

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
if a pig is looking at me, i favor the 'between the nostrils' shot

[video:youtube]dE3EfWdxj0U[/video]

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by geedubya
my favorite shot is as follows

[Linked Image]

draw an imaginary line between the ear and shoulder and place a well constructed bullet two inches (or so)below the ear on that line. Severs the spine and they drop and paddle

Do that and they will drop and paddle! No tracking necessary!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

a skosh back

[Linked Image]

or forward

[Linked Image]

one is still good

ya!

GWB

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GWB ,

I like to neck shoot pigs also , I prefer a little further back closer to the shoulder than the neck/skull juction.

That way if a pig lifts its head up or down the pivot point at the base of the neck moves very little. It will bruise the back-strap if shooting a powerful fast opening bullet .

Also hitting them with your favorite varmint rifle/bullet in that spot drops them on the spot . I much prefer hard hitting fast opening bullets down here , if a pig can run 20 yards you will be crawling through God only knows what to find it.

Posted by Bristoe
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I am a huge fan of shooting pigs through at least one shoulder, with enough gun. I believe 22 calibers are generally too small and the 24s are marginal. Using the right bullet, in the hands of an experienced shot, they can work, but as I said are marginal in my opinion.
Sorry I'm so long winded. Here is the question.

Im a fan of the .22s and brain shots..... grin

[Linked Image]

Only ever shot one otherwise...shoulder/neck and did it with the " Buig" gun..a 6.8spc

[Linked Image]

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Gunner, I was following you until you flipped to the dark side, charcoal burning, nasty smoke and such.

You one of those guys who think smokeless is a passing fad, won't stand the test of time...? cry

DF

Blackpowder in a Colt SAA 45 is cool as hell to shoot DF, accurate and no leading too. wink

I don't mind the quick cleanup.

Trump Won!
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D

DF

Blackpowder in a Colt SAA 45 is cool as hell to shoot DF, accurate and no leading too. wink

Never got bit by that bug...

BP does make a different racket.

You still think smokeless is a passing fad..?

I've heard that opinion among hard core BP shooters... grin

DF

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
I'm headed to the pig killin' fields in Llano county this morning. Our 34th annual Spring Break hunt. Aka Coal Creek Ministries hog slaughter. I'm actually hauling a flintlock this year. I may even get farther than 100 yards from the camp kitchen! (Fried chicken tonight!!!).

If I shoulder shoot a porcine creature with a .490 RB I'll get a photo. (Depends on just how ambitious I get) They've all gone down pretty quick in the past. Hell I'll take a photo of something anyway and post it. Been my experience you can eat all the way up to the hole! wink

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G

DF

Never got bit by that bug...

BP does make a different racket.

You still think smokeless is a passing fad..?

I've heard that opinion among hard core BP shooters... grin

DF

LOL, no, smokeless is here to stay and definitely has it's place, cant imagine 150 grs of black powder under a 600 gr Woodleigh in my 505 Gibbs. shocked ;]

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
I'm headed to the pig killin' fields in Llano county this morning. Our 34th annual Spring Break hunt. Aka Coal Creek Ministries hog slaughter. I'm actually hauling a flintlock this year. I may even get farther than 100 yards from the camp kitchen! (Fried chicken tonight!!!).

If I shoulder shoot a porcine creature with a .490 RB I'll get a photo. (Depends on just how ambitious I get) They've all gone down pretty quick in the past. Hell I'll take a photo of something anyway and post it. Been my experience you can eat all the way up to the hole! wink

Gonna have to get me a flinter someday KW, good luck and good shooting.

Trump Won!
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C

Good luck, buddy! Kill a biggun'.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide

Good luck, buddy! Kill a biggun'.

One better.. good luck, kill a eating size one. LOL

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D

Those old flinters were something in their day, nothing to sneeze at now.

I remember the British account of the Battle of New Orleans. The Redcoats were in a dense fog several hundred yds. advancing on Andy Jackson's lines. Officers were mounted and could be seen above the fog, foot soldiers pretty well obscured. Rules of warfare in that day frowned on shooting officers.

A British officer reported the following: Standing on a cotton bale at around 300 yds. was a rifleman. He was handed a loaded Kentucky rifle, following a puff of smoke an officer would fall out of his saddle. This kept up, a mounted officer falling at every shot. They couldn't dismount, they couldn't turn back, they had to move forward with the famous British stiff upper lip. That's the way they were trained, that's the way they fought.

I alway found that interesting. Asymmetric warfare, effective tactic, small force battling a larger force, changing tactics to one's advantage. The British didn't like it, they lost. Andy, his Tennessee volunteers, Jean Lafite's pirates, a rag tag band whipped the finest army on the face of the earth. Those old flinters played a major role. Dominique You, Lafites master gunner with his ship's cannons didn't hurt...

DF

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
...Been my experience you can eat all the way up to the hole! wink

I've heard of the hog hunter that loved pork chops so much that, every time he butchered a hog, the first pork chop had a hole in it and the last one had a tooth in it. smile

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Most of my hog kills have been with a 257 Wby and a 115 NBT at 3400fps. All shot through the high shoulder or neck area and all DRT. I even killed 2 with one shot. The bullet exited the shoulder of a small boar and hit a piglet behind him. One shot and 2 dead pigs.

I shot a 140ish pound sow in the shoulder with a 55 NBT from my 220 Swift. She fell at the shot and kicked a few times and that was it. I was surprised to learn the bullet passed completely through, even after being started at 3800 fps. Distance was 110 yds. I figured the bullet would've completely disintegrated inside the hog.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Went to lease Thursday to set trap gate. Going back Sunday to fill feeders. Hope to catch a pen full of pigs. Sure is fun to have 10 or 12 to shoot up with an AR!!

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Lots of pigs this year. Just didn't see any to my liking. Son shot one Saturday evening. Most all pigs I saw were piglet grade. A bit too small. And LOTS of them.

I posted pic of his pig in muzzleloading thread.

Founder

WS

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by hanco
Went to lease Thursday to set trap gate. Going back Sunday to fill feeders. Hope to catch a pen full of pigs. Sure is fun to have 10 or 12 to shoot up with an AR!!

You use an AR for trapped pigs?

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Why not? Pen is 20 feet in diameter. The pens I have in west Texas are only 34" high. You wouldn't want to get real close if there is a good size pig in there. We have some that jump out. I'm in the process of raising the pens to 4 feet high. The pen we built last year in east Texas is 5 foot high. It would take a athletic pig to get over it. We caught one yesterday, he got nearly to the top a couple of times. He would weigh around 225.

Last edited by hanco; 03/20/17.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
[Linked Image]

Killed this pig yesterday. Pen is behind my boy.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
[IMG]http://a67.tinypic.com/9qbn7q.jpg[/IM

I can't figure out why it posted pic the first time and not this time? It will come up if you click on it.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Why not? Pen is 20 feet in diameter. The pens I have in west Texas are only 34" high. You wouldn't want to get real close if there is a good size pig in there. We have some that jump out. I'm in the process of raising the pens to 4 feet high. The pen we built last year in east Texas is 5 foot high. It would take a athletic pig to get over it. We caught one yesterday, he got nearly to the top a couple of times. He would weigh around 225.

Oh yeah, use whatever, was just thinking in a pen or trap all I've ever used is a 10-22. Even in bigger pens. Pigs do'nt bother me much, they ain't gonna do nothing, they might jump out, but thats about it. its not like they are gonna come after you generally speaking. I have kicked one in the snout once when it got an attitude though.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
[Linked Image]

I can't figure out why it posted pic the first time and not this time? It will come up if you click on it.

I got it to work! Added a "G" followed by a "]".

If you reload, there's no such thing as an obsolete cartridge.

Once you render an opinion, you open yourself up to criticism.
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rost495
...Pigs do'nt bother me much, they ain't gonna do nothing, they might jump out, but thats about it. its not like they are gonna come after you generally speaking...

I knew a big Swede that raised hogs. He used to butcher my dad's deer. He was crippled by a huge hog that got him by the thigh; saved himself by sticking his sheath knife in the hog's neck.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I wouldn't want to be in a pen with them!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
About the early 90's there was a politician (a county supervisor, IIRC) bowhunting pigs in California. He arrowed a boar, and it charged him and chewed up his legs. He was lucky to have a pistol with him and was finally able to finish it. He needed 80-odd stitches to repair the damage.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Except at close range, with a pig feeding undisturbed, I'm pretty uneasy taking a headshot. Usually they are constantly darting around, and to me it's too easy to miss the brain and wound it.

The last three I dropped all fell to shoulder shots. One a 7.62x39 that broke a shoulder and did not exit on a ~80 lb sow. A 190 lb boar caught a 120gr Ballsitic Tip from a 7mm-08, breaking his shoulder, but not exiting. Last was a ~60lb boar that got hit with a 200gr Hornady FTX out of a .35 Rem. That one hit a couples inches behind the shoulder, exited, and bled like crazy. All three pigs dropped right there, but only the one hit with the .35 Rem bled much. Think I like bigger bore, moderate power rounds more than the speedsters.

Knowing they have smaller vitals than a deer, I want the bullet to go directly between the front shoulders. If broadside, break a shoulder, if quartering, aim so it just misses the near shoulder but goes toward the off shoulder, ruining everything in-between.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've often wondered about why pigs don't bleed out as much, I guess the tougher hide doesn't allow for as large exit holes... at least with 223, 308 and 338 federal sized rounds.

Last edited by Mjduct; 03/20/17.
G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Where I hunt the landowner will only allow me use rimfire rifles. I hunt from a blind that 75 yards from a feeder. A FMJ 17hmr round to the head makes quick work of them. I aim for the spot between the eye and the ear and that FMJ rounds puts them to sleep. I wish they made a FMJ round in a 17wsm. Head shooting them a FMJ round is like sticking them in the head with a ice pick. When I had more access to land I would take my trusty 30-30 with me every time.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
[Linked Image]

This is the most my boy and I have gotten I one day. We had pigs in all three feeder pens that morning. Several got away while we were shooting.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
[Linked Image]

This pig caught her legs going over the trap gate.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

This is a pig we caught in a trap I built. It has a feeder on top. It goes off once every day. We set when we go up there. That pig weighed an even 200lbs on scale.

Last edited by hanco; 03/21/17.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
[Linked Image]

This pig pegged 600lb scale, Centerville Texas 2 yrs ago

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
[Linked Image]

This pig a couple months ago, 450 lbs. Centerville

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

This pig pegged 600lb scale, Centerville Texas 2 yrs ago

Wow! How would you like one of those coming after you?

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Looks like you guys are into some serious pigs...

DF

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
[Linked Image]

These SOB's are worse than pigs. I can block gate closed on trap gates to keep pigs out. Aoudads can jump in, eat all your corn.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[img]http://a67.tinypic.com/14m84td.jpg[/img]

A few more pig adventures, granddaughter likes AR's too

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I didn't do so hot with the head and neck shots on our trip a couple of weeks ago. The first three I shot at, I missed. The basrds don't stop moving. Actually, the second one, I hit, but ran off. A few minutes later, they showed up again. I noticed one of them had blood in it's mouth, so I said the hell with it and took shoulder shots from there on out with success.

This was my biggest, 169 lb. sow.

[Linked Image]

Ronald Reagan
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Not mine.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Ronald Reagan
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You could have borrowed my Tikka. smile

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Ronald Reagan
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by colorado bob
You could have borrowed my Tikka. smile

Yea, I know. I wanted to bloody my AR, but thanks anyway. I might have to get one some day. I've got to let my credit card cool off for a while. After the trip, I went out and bought a fancy shotgun so I could keep up with you.

Ronald Reagan
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bring it next year. I'll bring the clay pigeons. smile

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Looks like you all had fun. Pig shooting is fun. They do scurry around, especially when they are caught in trap pen. They go crazy when you start shooting!!

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
We used to have to put double high cattle panels on our pens when I trapped for the state! Like they say go to shooting and they will climb to the moon if they can get a toe hold

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
7RM
63.0g of IMR 4350
Rem 91/2
Rem case
Touch the lands with a 154g Hornady spire point
Accurate!

Will shoot through both shoulders on large hogs

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
This is what made me change: I first started aiming behind the shoulder. I thought pigs were tough, because a lot would run off. I changed to head shots. Most were successful, but I obviously missed some. I knocked one down, but it got up quickly and ran off. Two weeks later I shot a pig from the same stand. It was the same, size shape and color as the one that ran. It had a scar/crease in front between the eyes. It was almost dark so I aimed at the shoulder. Dead pig. I star aiming to take out a shoulder and what's between. That was several years ago. Since then I've killed every pig I've shot at. Captdavid

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Going to Burnet this weekend, I hope to catch more pigs. Gonna bow hunt some also. I like the way they squeal when stuck.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
WE actually switched from AR's to shotguns with buckshot too many richocetts and it was faster, as the whole point was to get as much lead into the pen, in the shortest amount of time anyway, esp if there were 12 or 15 in there!!

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Done in lots of unpenned pigs with shotgun and buckshot.

Founder

WS

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
That's the most fun you can have (with your cloths on), there is! Open up with a 7 shot semi auto with various buckshot, watch the piecies fly ears here tail there GOD IT IS FUN!!!!!!!

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I had 7 or 8 in pen once. Used my muzzle loader on them. That was fun. That Savage blew big holes in them. Was a little slow. A couple of guys whined about shooting pigs during deer season. Silencer fixed that.

Last edited by hanco; 03/22/17.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
WE actually switched from AR's to shotguns with buckshot too many richocetts and it was faster, as the whole point was to get as much lead into the pen, in the shortest amount of time anyway, esp if there were 12 or 15 in there!!

I've posted this before.

My hunting buddy has a unique method for killing penned hogs.

He walks up on the trap, stops before they start running around, usually 15 yds or so. He uses a scoped .17 HMR with FMJ's (cheap plastic Salvage). He visualized a line between their eyes, aims 1" above midline, lines up the target to miss the pen wire and fires. Pig hits the ground, eyes poked out on stems, weird looking. No squeeling, little or no blood. He waits for the next opportunity, takes his time, kills them all.

All the blood, squeeling, shooting, running, confusion is avoided. And, he doesn't mess up the trap with gore and blood everywhere such that they won't come back. His killing trap is still pretty neat and tidy.

DF

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G

I've posted this before.

He walks up on the trap, stops before they start running around, usually 15 yds or so. He uses a scoped .17 HMR with FMJ's (cheap plastic Salvage). He visualized a line between their eyes, aims 1" above midline, lines up the target to miss the pen wire and fires. Pig hits the ground, eyes poked out on stems, weird looking. No squeeling, little or no blood. He waits for the next opportunity, takes his time, kills them all.

All the blood, squeeling, shooting, running, confusion is avoided. And, he doesn't mess up the trap with gore and blood everywhere such that they won't come back. His killing trap is still pretty neat and tidy.

DF

ssshhhh now, you may feel a little stick. laugh

Trump Won!
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

I've posted this before.

DF

No no no. It can't be done that way. It would never work and it makes way to much sense to do it that way.

(its the way I do it too, but 22 instead of 17... and with a can these days)

I"m fairly sure you might be able to bring a gator to the surface and pop one too without all that extra tusssle, but I've never seen it done so may be wrong there.

Who would ever think about doing it slow and calm... LOL.

I got "shot" once with frags from a 22... an old timer that I figured knew better, got panicky with about 5 in a pen and shot kind of my direction and hit the wire... I got frags in my arm. No biggy. But I expected much more of an old timer. ....more common sense etc...

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
People get excited sometimes. I've been hit by birdshot a few times.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Such a bizare hog killing could get out of hand.

Makes one wonder, who's more excited, shooters or hogs.

Gotta be a better way... laugh

DF

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
There are guys that will get in there and get them by the hind legs. Not me!

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had 7 or 8 in pen once. Used my muzzle loader on them. That was fun. That Savage blew big holes in them...

How much fun is shooting fish in a barrel?

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I wouldn't touch the disease ridden, $hit piles when they are dead let alone alive, one ever bites you, you might just as well put the gun to your head, be quicker than a lingering death, from the $hit those disease ridden vermin carry!!!

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I wouldn't touch the disease ridden, $hit piles when they are dead let alone alive, one ever bites you, you might just as well put the gun to your head, be quicker than a lingering death, from the $hit those disease ridden vermin carry!!!

+1

See my earlier post about hogs eating hog carcasses. I knew they carried diseases, so we always wore rubber gloves when cleaning them.

After seeing evidence of hog canabilism, it sorta quenched my appetite for feral hogs as table fare.

Some will disagree and that's OK.

But, if they saw the trail cam footage I saw... shocked

DF

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
There are guys that will get in there and get them by the hind legs. Not me!

I never got in one but in small enough ones we've sure grabbed and cut many a boar to release...

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

+1

See my earlier post about hogs eating hog carcasses. I knew they carried diseases, so we always wore rubber gloves when cleaning them.

After seeing evidence of hog canabilism, it sorta quenched my appetite for feral hogs as table fare.

Some will disagree and that's OK.

But, if they saw the trail cam footage I saw... shocked

DF

I've come upon where they have eaten a deer we are trailing. They eat gut piles all the time. I've eaten wild pigs since a youth, and its never bothered me one bit. YMMV as we all say.

Domestic hogs will eat whatever gets in the pen too, FWIW. Chickens beware for sure. And they hate snakes...

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

Well, I was bitten, most of the tip of one thumb and nail off many years ago. Had to run rabies shots just in case, as after the fact I managed to shoot that one in the head with my 44, after he bit me while we were trying to tie him up.

I never got any kind of disease, certainly not one bad enough to be foul mouthed either. Although I can see folks getting a disease enough to be foul mouthed and just slobber on.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

Plus, the nasty bastrds got fleas all over them. Then the damn fleas get on you. I didn't want to touch'em if I could help it. They've got to be the dirtiest animals I've ever touched.

Ronald Reagan
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
hmm, your deer don't have lice, fleas and ticks?

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
It's fun to kill pigs even if they are in a barrel. We don't eat them, damn sure don't touch without gloves. Buzzards and coyotes have to make a living too!!

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
It's fun to kill pigs even if they are in a barrel. We don't eat them, damn sure don't touch without gloves. Buzzards and coyotes have to make a living too!!

They all gotta eat, even other hogs.

I'll never quit killing'em.

Just won't eat'em.

DF

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
[Linked Image]

pork belly for home made bacon

[Linked Image]

mix with other game meat for smoked link sausage

[Linked Image]

which works well for my "Texas Barking Spider" beans.

[Linked Image]

smoke a ham!

BTW

anybody eat "yardbird"??

ya!

GWB

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Now, that looks real good...

It's just hard for me to get over the trail cam revelation, a bunch of hogs eating a 300# boar down to his ribs and spine over night.

But, the way you present your hog meat...

Well, it's definitely at odds with my mental image... smile

DF

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have friends over quite often and haven't served anything except wild ferrel hog for 6-7 years. When asked what the meal is I call it free range organic pork. I haven't had anyone dislike it yet.

You just need to handle it properly, gloves and eye protection when you process. Otherwise its all good.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Docbill
I have friends over quite often and haven't served anything except wild ferrel hog for 6-7 years. When asked what the meal is I call it free range organic pork. I haven't had anyone dislike it yet.

It wouldn't be prudent to show'em my trail cam photos... shocked

Don't ask, don't tell... blush

laugh

DF

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image][/URL]

smoke a ham!

BTW

anybody eat "yardbird"??

ya!

GWB

Must have an awful big pipe to smoke a ham!

Dang, I need to get my feral hog hams & backstraps out of the deep freeze and cook them up. All from smaller, young-ish hogs and marinaded in cranberry juice.

And, yes, I have eaten yardbird. From my own yard. I like to think of yardbird as recycled ticks, roaches, spiders, worms, and bitty snakes transformed into tasty meat. I miss them nowadays, when the roaches start coming out. Kept my back yard bug-free, the grass de-thatched & fertilized. They were not "free range," but more like "free yard."

Regards,

deadlift_dude
“The very first essential for success is a perpetually constant and regular employment of violence.”
----Fred Rogers
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I have just used a wonderful aid in night time hog hunting. It is sold by Elusive Wildlife Technologies and is called BLIND SIDE-R. It is a motion activated green light powered by 4 D-cell batteries. Very simple (and inexpensive) to use. Just put the light and a camera watching a pile of bait. When you find out what time the hogs are coming just wait downwind and watch for the light. The light is not terribly bright but plenty bright enough for target identification and acquisition. With a proper scope you will be able to see your cross hairs and will know for sure it is a hog. Killed 3 out of 5 on my first try. A big sow and 2 yearlings. That was with 2 shots, the 2 smaller ones were standing side by side and the same bullet got both. Green light does not seem to excite them.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
no not even with a 75 grain swift scirroco, dropped a 180 or so pig on the spot. Nimrod's abound these days.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by jfruser

Not near as big as it takes to launch a good sized boar into near-earth orbit

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Seymour hog reporting for duty

ya!

GWB

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by djones
if a pig is looking at me, i favor the 'between the nostrils' shot

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Shoulder shot may mean you will have to track some.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by jfruser

Not near as big as it takes to launch a good sized boar into near-earth orbit

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Seymour hog reporting for duty

ya!

GWB

laugh

You guys have way too much time on your hands... grin

Pretty cool, nonetheless... cool

DF

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
DF,

We do have a hoot!

I've been hunting with a core group of guys that are related by blood, marriage or chasin' tail, since 1999. This was the occasion where all the male members of three of my lease buddy's were at our deer camp for a "reunion" of sorts. One of the guys was an Army Ranger and Captain of an Artillary unit in Iraq. He still luvs blowing schitt up. So we had gallons of Tannerite. Skeet shooting, shooting 1 cup bottles of tannerite at 400 yds, bar-b-que and adult beverages and men/boy behaving badly! They brought the section of 16' inch pipe with a 3" square hole burned out of the base and made a plywood wad to cover the 2 lb. coffee can full of tannerite. The shot was at 200 yds off a sandbag on the bed-rail of a truck. What you don't see is that about a minute after sending the hoglet into near earth orbit, the guy who was an Army Ranger Captain is holstering his Springfield XD in 45 acp and leaves his finger on the trigger while he is holstering it. He shoots himself. Luckily its a hardball round and goes in about 3" above the nee cap and travels straight downward and exits just above the ankle. He starts hopping around yelling "I'm shot, I'm shot". We're giving him jazz till the blood starts squirting. So we grab him, apply a tourniquet, call 911 and drive him the 7 miles to the road to meet the ambulance. While moving my ATV out of the way, my camera gets run over and the lens crushed. The sandisk survived. Talk about a guy that was embarrassed. He did two tours in Iraq and comes back to Texas and shoot his own self. We'd never had a firearms related accident before.

ya!

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 07/26/17.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Wow when pigs fly bad things can happen. Hope your pard is alright. I like some of the same things too.
But when I am on watch so to speak and we get out the heavy artillery I either round up all other weapons or round up the "adult beverages" I have seen too many minor mishaps and sure don't want to see a major one.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Tejano
Wow when pigs fly bad things can happen. Hope your pard is alright. I like some of the same things too.
But when I am on watch so to speak and we get out the heavy artillery I either round up all other weapons or round up the "adult beverages" I have seen too many minor mishaps and sure don't want to see a major one.

laugh

Heard about that, never until now have I seen such... grin

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by mtnsnake
Shoulder shot may mean you will have to track some.

Depends on what you hit'em with.

This med sized hog was shoulder shot with a 120 gr. E-Tip out of a 26 Nosler at 3,450 fps. Not much tracking...

DF

[Linked Image]

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
When perforating hoglets, my shot of choice is to draw an imaginary line between the ear and shoulder, then attempt to place a bullet about two inches below the ear along that line. Pretty much anywhere in the near proximity will result in a severing of the spinal column and the porker will drop and paddle. Since these critters are constantly moving and shots may be 200 yds. or so, the POI may be off a skosh (as I zero at 200 and the 175 yd shots are downhill at a +/- 20degree angle)

[Linked Image]

a tad high @ +/-175 yds,. 6.5 Leopard (6.5-300WSM), 140 gr. Sierra Spitzer, DRT

[Linked Image]

pretty close! 270 Winchester, 130 gr. Accubond, +/- 120 yds, DRT

[Linked Image]

little high and back, 325 WSM, 200 Gr. Accubond, +/- 175 yds. DRT

[Linked Image]

little high and back, 325 WSM, 200 gr Nosler Accubond, +/- 150 yds. DRT.

[Linked Image]

another, a skosh high and back. 300 H&H, 180 gr. TSX, +/- 175 yds. DRT

As one can tell, I'm not the best shot as I'm usually one to two inches off my intended POI. But what the hey. Nice thing about this shot is that you can usually be two inches off in any direction and still not have to track.

ya!

GWB

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
GW---You are a hog killin machine !! Bob

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by colorado bob
GW---You are a hog killin machine !! Bob

ya!

I nailed 21 or so in April and May

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Circumstances have prevented me from doing much for June and July, but I'll be back at em soon!

ya!

GWB

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
[quote=geedubya] [Linked Image]

[quote]

That's an old one.

RM

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I spot and stalk them on foot. Shoulder shot a ~250 lb boar about 10 years ago with a 7-08 and a 140 grain TSX. Perfect shot placement, but the bullet apparently didn't penetrate the shoulder bones and he ran off, never to be seen again. Next pig hunt, I used my .470 NE loaded with 500 grain Woodleigh softs. It was very effective on a 355 lb boar at 50 yards with a shoulder shot and a lot of fun to hunt with.

In recent years, I've settled on a 9.3x62 with a 286 grain TSX. IMO, a perfect pig rifle. Quite effective on shoulder shots.

Lesson learned: If you're going to shoot them in the shoulder, use enough gun.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Winchestermodel70
I spot and stalk them on foot. Shoulder shot a ~250 lb boar about 10 years ago with a 7-08 and a 140 grain TSX. Perfect shot placement, but the bullet apparently didn't penetrate the shoulder bones and he ran off, never to be seen again. Next pig hunt, I used my .470 NE loaded with 500 grain Woodleigh softs. It was very effective on a 355 lb boar at 50 yards with a shoulder shot and a lot of fun to hunt with.

In recent years, I've settled on a 9.3x62 with a 286 grain TSX. IMO, a perfect pig rifle. Quite effective on shoulder shots.

?

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Yep, 9.3 should whack'em with authority... grin

I want to load some "hog loads" for my .375 H&H. Even have some cast bullets to try.

I have a .45 Colt Marlin Cowboy with VX-2 3-9x40 It loves 300 gr. cast and jacketed bullets at around 1,500 -1,600 fps.

And, I'm loading some 300 gr. Hornady HP's for my .45-70 Marlin at around 1,850 fps. It'll easily go 2K+, but starts getting nasty; 2K won't kill'em any better than 1.850.

Good hog medicine, all.

DF

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S

My God, the level of stupid that flows from you is only surpassed by the level of stupid that spewed from your father into your mother.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Steelhead

My God, the level of stupid that flows from you is only surpassed by the level of stupid that spewed from your father into your mother.

Classic, Scotty.

Some folk balk at allowing pix of scantily clad women such as is found in the 223 AI thread in the Misc. Forum. Others balk at graphic pix of dead critters with blood,guts and gore in stark evidence. I imagine some implore the owner of this site to prohibit that. If I were the owner or moderator of this site, sick Fcuks' like you would be history, as you add nothing but bad vibes and disharmony in the posts of yours I've seen.

yup!

GWB

BTW,
the 9.3, 286 Gr. Nosler Partiton does a number on hoglets...........

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This one kinda reminds me of you. Diseased!

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Shot 250lb boar Monday right behind the shoulder with a .223 at 130 yards. He went 30 yards. Plain old Rem Green Box 55gr SP

Last edited by Sasha_and_Abby; 07/28/17.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S

Classic, Scotty.

Some folk balk at allowing pix of scantily clad women such as is found in the 223 AI thread in the Misc. Forum. Others balk at graphic pix of dead critters with blood,guts and gore in stark evidence. I imagine some implore the owner of this site to prohibit that. If I were the owner or moderator of this site, sick Fcuks' like you would be history, as you add nothing but bad vibes and disharmony in the posts of yours I've seen.

yup!

GWB

BTW,
the 9.3, 286 Gr. Nosler Partiton does a number on hoglets...........

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This one kinda reminds me of you. Diseased!

Funny, you know my name but I don't know yours. Of course full anonymity is what you do best, though a few that have met you assure me that you are a horses ass.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G

Funny, you know my name but I don't know yours. Of course full anonymity is what you do best, though a few that have met you assure me that you are a horses ass.

Not surprising really, you're a known quantity! and although not spelled out, any on the board that know me, know how to pronounce my initials. As to being a horses ass. I can be much more than that when appropriate!

ya!

GWB

BTW, you drew first blood!

Last edited by geedubya; 07/28/17.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

Not surprising really, you're a known quantity! and although not spelled out, any on the board that know me, know how to pronounce my initials. As to being a horses ass. I can be much more than that when appropriate!

ya!

GWB

I dunno about all this. I know GWB.....I don't think he's capable of being a horses ass.I'd share a campfire, a tent, or a drink with him anytime, anywhere....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
ingwe, never met Gee, but to me your estimation of the man is excellent...

Molon Labe
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S

ya!

GWB

You're a known pussy hurt chump too. I make one joke about someone else that I know you fly off the fUgging handle and get all pussy hurt. Sorry you're too damned old to matter, ain't my problem.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by ingwe

ya!

GWB

I dunno about all this. I know GWB.....I don't think he's capable of being a horses ass.I'd share a campfire, a tent, or a drink with him anytime, anywhere....

Has he ever beaten a dog to death?

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

557 members (17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 160user, 1234, 16gage, 06hunter59, 57 invisible), 2,329 guests, and 1,288 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,402
Posts18,470,144
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.