Campfire Member
B
the good, the bad, the ugly

HR IC

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
In my opinion, it is the best overall large caliber for anything but the Big 5. It fits a standard long action, recoil is big, but manageable for most, and with the "new" bullets available, you can go from 165s to 300s depending on your liking. It is easy to get to shoot good, and 4350/4831 burn rate is ideal.

I think, therefore I am, conservative.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I’m a recent 338 WM convert.

I shied away from it for years because I had heard horrible tales of recoil. It definitely kicks and is a poor choice for new shooters, but most experienced shooters are fine with it. The time-honored way of reducing recoil is to make the rifle heavy, so a lot of 338s weigh 10 pounds or more. The lighter you want your rifle to be, especially as weight drops below about 9 pounds, the more you need a well-designed stock and a good recoil pad.

The cartridge itself is extremely versatile. People compare it to the 30-06 because it will move a 250-grain bullet as fast as the ‘06 will move a 180, but that’s not entirely fair, as the 338/250 has about the same SD as a 308/210. A closer comparison is a 30-caliber 180-grain bullet (.271) and a 220-grain 338 caliber bullet (.275) The 338 WM will push a 220 to well over 2,800 fps in a 24” barrel. Still pretty close to the 30-06, plus there’s more frontal area.

The 338 WM has the same expansion ratio as a 30-06, so it does well with the same powders and barrel lengths, and a lot of veteran hunters have their 338’s built with 22” barrels.

The standard bullet weight for really big animals is 250 grains, but I suspect that newer designs in 210 and 225 grains (like the TTSX) will penetrate just as deeply with more velocity and less recoil. I plan to use the 338 heavily in the next few years, mostly with 225-grain Partitions at 2,800 fps. I’m not hunting Cape buffalo, so I think I’ll be OK.

My favorite thing about the 338 WM is that good factory ammo is common in places where I’m likely to hunt. I’ve even seen it for sale in truck stops.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I've been shooting the 338wm for few years now. Taken most North American game with it.

Recoil is noticeable but not harsh, I practiced until it wasn't an issue. That's about the only negative I can think of.

I tried many different weights and types of bullets and settled on 250grn Swift AFrames, with 4831. The 250grn bullet has a good sectional density and ballistic coefficient (for all that is worth). What it ends up meaning for me is that it penetrates very well - only critter that actually stopped a bullet was a grizzly. And it flies well, even in reasonable wind it or at distance the POI is very consistent for as far out as I practice.

I have found mine to be very accurate, penetrates well BUT does not bloodshot the meat up like the fast 30's or 7's.

A very good versatile game getter.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I LOVE mine. Nuff said..... wink

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
I LOVE mine. Nuff said..... wink

It is one spike-killin sumbitch! whistle

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
It is Jeff. I like them tender moist spikes. They taste great.... laugh

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I talked with a gentleman on time that swore it was his favorite whitetail round. I asked why he loved it so and his respone was "I don't like tracking". He swore he never had a deer go 10 yards when shot with one.

“Lighten up Francis”
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

grin I'd kill a spike in a hot second. Them's good eatin'.

I killed a big buck on Steens in '15. Last year I killed a little guy. The big buck was tough and gamey. The little guy is delicious and is such better eating that my wife says no more old animals! But I'm like... the horns, honey! What about the horns! You can imagine her response. smile

He was a lot easier to pack out, too.

OP: .338 WM is a fantastic cartridge. Recoil is not obnoxious, it's very accurate, and it makes big things die.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
OP- here's a fun thread on it from years ago. Enjoy!

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/1697513/1

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I used to have a Ruger 77 so chambered. I have no wish to ever shoot one again.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
The Ruger was a kicker, due to the stock design, it kicked me right in the cheekbone.. But I have had several in the 700, for me they shot fine and were accurate.. But when I leave the 30 cal level, I go to the .375... If you want one try it.. That is the only way you will know.. Right now I have a .340 in the safe.. I have killed several elk and one whitetail with it.. Doubt I use it much more, but it is a comfort to know it is there!!!

Molon Labe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jeff_O

grin I'd kill a spike in a hot second. Them's good eatin'.

I killed a big buck on Steens in '15. Last year I killed a little guy. The big buck was tough and gamey. The little guy is delicious and is such better eating that my wife says no more old animals! But I'm like... the horns, honey! What about the horns! You can imagine her response. smile

He was a lot easier to pack out, too.

OP: .338 WM is a fantastic cartridge. Recoil is not obnoxious, it's very accurate, and it makes big things die.

You killed one mulie buck you thought was big but wasn't and it didn't eat good?

I have killed many big bucks and they have been excellent eating and you get much more meat compared to little bucks.

I would advise you to stick to political threads but you are worse there than here.

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I see the OP is from Wisconsin,

so I'm going to answer his question with another,

.338, why?

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Kenneth
I see the OP is from Wisconsin,

so I'm going to answer his question with another,

.338, why?

My answer would be because as long as it's in the safe we can dream about taking it to Wyoming, or Montana, or Alaska to use it on stuff of appropriate size......and yes I'm aware a 270 or 06 will work.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Everything but the big 3. Elephant, Rhinoceros and Hippo. Actually might even work for them but it would work for lion and Leopard for sure. Cartridge developed in 1958 is a great cartridge. I've used one for years and always have had at least one sometimes as many as 3 or 4. I like the 250 grain Nosler Partition. You obviously don't need a 338 WM to handle the animals that people use on them, but it gives you a little extra should the animal be at a bad angle, or moves at the last second. It just works.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have killed more than 20 head of African Plains Game animals with my Remington Model 700 in .338 Win Mag. I restocked the rifle with a Bansner years ago.

I shoot handloads with 210 gr Barnes TSX and they shoot consistent 1" groups. IMO, recoil is not an issue.

I really do not have any need for the rifle at this point in my life, but I just can't seem to let it go.

donsm70

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Love the cartridge. Last year I chopped one of my barrels back to 22"s and kinda liked it. I also found that I didn't loose diddly for velocity from 24". Like many medium bores it has an abundance of characteristics I typically don't need but don't mind having as well.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by donsm70
I have killed more than 20 head of African Plains Game animals with my Remington Model 700 in .338 Win Mag. I restocked the rifle with a Bansner years ago.

I shoot handloads with 210 gr Barnes TSX and they shoot consistent 1" groups. IMO, recoil is not an issue.

I really do not have any need for the rifle at this point in my life, but I just can't seem to let it go.

donsm70

One of my all time most accurate rifles was a early 90's SS M700 ADL 338 WM, cut to 22". A superb rifle. The only thing that could have possibly made it better would be to sit in one of my favorite stocks, a Bansner!

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
As to the topic, the link to Jeff O's 338 WM will provide you a lot of toilet-side reading.

I think the "ultimate" elk rifle is a 22" bbl'd 338 WM pushing 210 Partitions at 2,950. Rifle weight would be 7.75 lbs "all up" scoped with sling and rounds.

Problem is I don't want to pack or shoot the ultimate elk rifle anymore, and prefer a full lb less rifle and lesser recoiling cartridge.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

609 members (007FJ, 160user, 1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 219DW, 65 invisible), 3,001 guests, and 1,267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,482
Posts18,490,222
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.