Rugger is the Walmart of guns.

Who you callin' a Rugger?!?

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Rugger is the Walmart of guns.

He asked whether anyone had one and their opinion, not for your stupid remarks.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
An 8 twist All Weather compact 223 is on my short list.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by old_willys
Had a American predator in 6.5 Creedmoor that was crazy accurate with Hornady factory ammo but I could not warm up to the stock.

I had the same gun
I couldn't fault it and it was crazy accurate too but I don't own it now

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Last year about this time, I bought a Ruger American Predator in 223 REM. The purpose of it was to get a platform that. Provided a platform for working with accuracy in reloads. I wanted the cheapest rifle that would reliably print at 1 inch or less out of the box so I'd have no opportunity to blame the rifle. I have been a hunter that shoots more than the other way around. This was going to be new ground for me.

I don't know why anyone would disparage the RAP. Granted, I'm not enamoured with the stock. However, my dislike is on purely cosmetic grounds. It, like the rest of the rifle, functions as well as can be expected.

My one gripe about the RAP is that there is not a good way to single feed rounds. They invariably get lost on the way to the chamber. This was a rifle that was meant to be loaded from the magazine. Somebody needs to come up with a molded plastic replacement for the magazine that facilitates loading from the bench.

I have only had a few sessions with the rifle. I'm also working at reloading at the bench, so this is all kind of new. The RAP has been doing its part. Over time, I'm learning to do mine.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Ringman
Leonten,

I bought one in .300 Blackout. It would not feed from the magazine and it would not fire CCI450 primers. I called Ruger and was told don't use Remington or Barnes ammo but use Gorilla ammo. And never use reloads in your Ruger rifle. I asked for a heavier firing pin spring and the lady told me that was not going to happen. If I wanted I could ship it back to them at their expense and they would see if it matched specs.

I had the same rifle. Great and accurate but I didn't like not crimping my loads for fear of misfires. I switched to the 308 compact.
Same weight 1" overall difference.I can load same bullets.

I have one of the 22LR carbines that piles up crows and squirrels be with CCI subsonics.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
My RA is a left-hand, stainless, .308. It shoots 1/2 moa with Hornady Interlocks. I have a thousand rounds through the gun and it has been perfect. The only thing that I did is put in a better trigger spring and stiffen the front end of the stock with some epoxy.

Some of the magazines have had problems, though.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JMR40
Best bang for the buck in a rifle if aesthetics don't matter to you. I own 2, have shot 4 others. Extremely accurate. Some early versions had magazines that were less than reliable. Ruger replaced mine and I've had no other issues.

True, like most of these budget rifles it's butt ugly. My two issues with those cheap plastic stocks are that when you are walking in the sicks and one hits them it sounds like a drum. And they tend to flex too much in the forend.

But I was thinking if you put a stainless one in this Boyd's Pepper Laminate stock it would look passable good, be fairly quiet and stiff..

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Armednfree; 03/11/17.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by shaman
Somebody needs to come up with a molded plastic replacement

Why does it always have to be 'somebody' else? Put on your McGyver hat and get yer azz to work.....

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Last year about this time, I bought a Ruger American Predator in 223 REM. The purpose of it was to get a platform that. Provided a platform for working with accuracy in reloads. I wanted the cheapest rifle that would reliably print at 1 inch or less out of the box so I'd have no opportunity to blame the rifle. I have been a hunter that shoots more than the other way around. This was going to be new ground for me.

I don't know why anyone would disparage the RAP. Granted, I'm not enamoured with the stock. However, my dislike is on purely cosmetic grounds. It, like the rest of the rifle, functions as well as can be expected.

My one gripe about the RAP is that there is not a good way to single feed rounds. They invariably get lost on the way to the chamber. This was a rifle that was meant to be loaded from the magazine. Somebody needs to come up with a molded plastic replacement for the magazine that facilitates loading from the bench.

I have only had a few sessions with the rifle. I'm also working at reloading at the bench, so this is all kind of new. The RAP has been doing its part. Over time, I'm learning to do mine.

So get a magazine and pin the follower at the top. Remove the lip from whatever side the round lays on. That should do it.

A file and some super glue.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by huntsman22
Somebody needs to come up with a molded plastic replacement

Why does it always have to be 'somebody' else? Put on your McGyver hat and get yer azz to work.....

Nothing a can of foam and some epoxy won't cure.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ringman
Leonten,

I bought one in .300 Blackout. It would not feed from the magazine and it would not fire CCI450 primers. I called Ruger and was told don't use Remington or Barnes ammo but use Gorilla ammo. And never use reloads in your Ruger rifle. I asked for a heavier firing pin spring and the lady told me that was not going to happen. If I wanted I could ship it back to them at their expense and they would see if it matched specs.

I would look at firing pin protrusion as more of a factor than spring weight.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've got a Ruger American compact in .223 and an American in 22 mag.

GREAT little rifles!

There was a thred on here a while back on fixing the .223 mags.

Just use a needle file, and open up the feed lips a few thousands, and you're good to go!

I'm thinking it was Short Action Smoker who posted the procedure.

Virgil B.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Excellent rifles. I have a Ruger American in 7mm-08 and RAP in .223.

"The dog is a gentleman; I hope to go to his heaven, not man's." Mark Twain
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
"The more I know about people, the more I like my dog." Mark Twain
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Gotta be 5x the rifle my Sauer 100 was.

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ringworm

The problem is I'm not retired yet. I bought this rifle in February, and got laid off unexpectedly at the end of March. I'd just about given up on working again and got a call in mid-November while I was deer hunting. Now I'm back to work pulling 11 hour days. Believe me, I'm doing the best I can to stay away, but they found me in a treestand in the middle of the woods.

Believe me, as soon as I can figure out a way to stay away from this working-for-a-living crap, this is the sort of stuff I intend to do all day. I've got projects like this lined up until I'm 120. In the meanwhile, I want to put a bug in somebody's ear. I'd much prefer spending $19.95 and ordering from Amazon.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ringworm

pulling 11 hour days.

There are 13 other hours. Use one of them....... If you save that $19.95 you'da spent, it's like getting paid to do it yerveryownself....

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
...or spend that time on a computer spouting at everyone how perfect you are.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Here's an issue that I've never seen mentioned. My partner and I both have RAR's in 30-06 and this has happened to both of us. In many brands, when the safety is set, the bolt won't open. With the RAR, it will. When carrying it by the sling, it's possible for the bolt handle to catch on a pack strap or something and lift it. If it gets lifted all the way, the bolt will slide back. If you have a round chambered, it will eject.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I bought a left hand RAR 243 Win for my wife that is very accurate. More details in this thread.

and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God? (Micah 6:8)

d.v.

Musings on TDS
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

625 members (10Glocks, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10ring1, 007FJ, 65 invisible), 2,474 guests, and 1,328 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,203
Posts18,485,320
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.