Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by covejeepsxj
Originally Posted by warpig602
Originally Posted by m_gallopavo
Good lookin rig cove

Agreed, wish the Finnlight was more forgiving of short scope tubes.

This short tube barely fit on this Kimber as well. I could only position the Talleys in the arrangement show to clear the bell. It's in lows now. I had it in extra lows, but had to file and bevel the edges of "bases" but just couldn't get enough clearance to feel comfortable with it.

Just FYI, Talley makes extension rings for Kimbers.... or at least they make a 30mm set that fits the 8400. I use them on my Kimber 8400 with a (short-tube) Nightforce 3-10 SHV.

I had to actually call them about this as my Google-fu was insufficient to find any out there for sale or for that matter any MENTION of them existing.

My untralight has a Leup 2.5-8 on it which is a nice size and weight, but it's a simple truth that the rifle would perform better at hitting things with a superior scope. It's a good-shooting 7-08 Mountain Rifle... so, sky's the limit... but the Leup 2.5-8 holds it back some.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Jeff_O, Thanks. I will inquire!

One too many hobbies....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

Haha. I surely hope that I don't run into the same issue! eek

One too many hobbies....
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Trystan
Originally Posted by m_gallopavo
Originally Posted by Kaleb
I don't get why a 11-13oz scope is ideal and a 19oz scope is "so heavy" but if it has to be light it would be a 6x42 with LRD.

If you tell me that you're a back pack hunter and count every single ounce I stand corrected. Most that fret over a extra 7oz on their scope is just playing mind games.

I disagree. 6-7 extra ounces sitting right over the top of the action makes a big difference in the balance of a featherweight rifle.
I would think a 3.5-10x40 VX-3 with CDS would meet the OP's needs pretty well.

Ive never noticed any problem in how well I can shoot a rifle be the scope heavy or lite.

I do however often hike over 10 miles on various hunts and sometimes steep ground is involved. I can say on a long hike I notice a half pound a lot more than one would think. It might only be a half pound but its a half pound carried over one shoulder off center.

The liteweight mountain rifle in my experience is a concept that a lot of hunters who hike mountainous terrain appreciate. A lite scope is part of the package whether one is hiking 1 mile straight uphill or 10+ miles.

Trystan

A good reason to use a browning sling which goes over both shoulders and centers the rifle.Also handy for belly crawls.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
IC B2

E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by 3dtestify

leupold FXII 6x36mm with LR/Dot Duplex reticle & 10oz. in weight.

For a long action this.

For a short this or a VX-2 2-7x33MM LRD.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Leupold is hard to beat for weight. Z5 Swarovski may be the best weight to quality out there. I had a Trijicon 3x9 that had great glass and was super light. Put it on a 5lb NULA.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm dumping more cash into one of the new Moss green mountain ascents than I paid for my first truck.

And I'll be putting a 19 oz 3-18x44 on it.

I do want a lightweight rifle, but I love that scope and its versatility.

I'll just have to put a wheeley bar on my backpack for when I have it slung over my shoulder so I don't constantly fall backwards.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
My "lightweight" MK V 7mm-08 ,7lbs 1oz w/ scope; carries a Zeiss Diavari Victory 2.5-10x42. My gun for treestand and woods hunting.
My 270Wby mag MK V, not lightweight, carries a Swarovoski PV4-16x50 BRI reticle. Longer range hunting gun, point and shoot to 350.
My B78 .257 Wby carries a VX-3 6.5-20x40 w/ M1 turrets. Longer range hunting, point and shoot to 350.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by bonefish
Leupold is hard to beat for weight. Z5 Swarovski may be the best weight to quality out there. I had a Trijicon 3x9 that had great glass and was super light. Put it on a 5lb NULA.

Good scope but I would likely only be able to use it on a short action. It has a fairly short eye relief. I tried a Kahles with slightly longer tube and a 3.5" eye relief and it wouldn't adjust close enough to me for a good view without really crawling the stock.

The longer tube and eye relief plus light weight of the Z5 makes it attractive to me for a long action,even over scopes like the 2.5-10 Diavari mentioned.

Last edited by R_H_Clark; 03/13/17.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You'll be fine.

That is a helluva scope, you will probably migrate it at some point in the future to something with better ballistics, but you will love it on that rifle in the meantime. The beauty of a 4lb gun is that you can put a pig of a scope on it and its still a lighter package than most factory guns out of the box unscoped. I jsut slapped the VX6 1-6 with iluminated reticle on a .223 montana, if I werent a gun buying looney, it would probably do anything and everything I could ever ask of it in the hunting fields/bush/blinds/stands. There is no replacement for Good Glass...period.

I believe that affordable, relaible 8x-10x scopes are probably just a few years away.

Think a 1-10x36 with a 1" tube that weighs sub 12-14 oz. with top tier glass...

Makes the choice between a 1-4, 2.5-8 and a 3-9 seem almost irrelevant... just get all of them in 1 !!!

Last edited by Mjduct; 03/14/17.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mjduct
You'll be fine.

That is a helluva scope, you will probably migrate it at some point in the future to something with better ballistics, but you will love it on that rifle in the meantime. The beauty of a 4lb gun is that you can put a pig of a scope on it and its still a lighter package than most factory guns out of the box unscoped. I jsut slapped the VX6 1-6 with iluminated reticle on a .223 montana, if I werent a gun buying looney, it would probably do anything and everything I could ever ask of it in the hunting fields/bush/blinds/stands. There is no replacement for Good Glass...period.

I believe that affordable, relaible 8x-10x scopes are probably just a few years away.

Makes the choice between a 1-4, 2.5-8 and a 3-9 seem almost irrelevant... just get all of them in 1 !!!

I like that.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mjduct
You'll be fine.

Yep. We are to a point where glass quality is becoming imperceptible at the top of the range. This will bring glass prices down, allowing for much more advanced erectors in the same price, size, and weight. March is already making x10 erectors, and I'm sure others are. 1-10x36 12-14 oz? Heck yeah. I'll take a 2-24x40 in the same weight range pretty please...it's going to be awesome. Much the same as TVs, it took us what 70 years to make a $5,000 40" flatscreen and then 15 years later you can get a 60" for $500 with a better picture.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Be careful of poking fun at us Kentucky windage/elevation guys. A lot of us learned and got pretty good at knowing hold off and hold over in days when range finders were either too expensive, too cumbersome, or non existent.

I realize that a range finder and a computer (smart phone) can be an effective and accurate combo, but I don't shoot that far anymore and have no interest in becoming a robot.

When the hunting experience becomes all about killing the animal (coyotes excepted) I may find other recreation. As I get older, I more and more find myself letting more deer walk, thinking that they will be bigger and better next year.

Best to all,

Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by covejeepsxj
I went through a similar dilemma last week when scoping a Kimber Adirondack. I had four scopes I was pondering. As shown below : VX-IIc 4-12x40, VX-3i 3.5-10x40,Vari-X III 2.5-8x36 and Vari-X III 1.75-6x32 "shorty". The shorty made the cut but I am not sure if it will stay on there or not. I really like balance and compact feel though.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Thats an awesome looking set up.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Weight (to a point) and balance isn't a huge deal for a rifle that spends its time riding on your shoulder, but when it's in your hands or cradled indian-carry style in the crook of your arm for hours, it matters. It also makes a difference if you sit for hours on stand and keep a hand in a pocket to stay warm, while the other hand holds the rifle in your lap or across your knees. In those situations, added weight on top pulls the rifle to one side or the other whenever it gets canted a bit.

Last season I spent most of my time in two-person treestand equipped with a padded rail. Most of the time, my rifle rested upside-down beside me with the barrel on the rail and the butt on the seat. What a difference over the balancing act I used to perfom sitting on one of those little butt-probing excuses-for-a-seat most stands have. I had no trouble bringing it into play when game appeared, and my arms and hands weren't tired, cold, or cramped.

Last edited by Pappy348; 03/16/17.

What fresh Hell is this?
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

664 members (1234, 160user, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 007FJ, 10ring1, 67 invisible), 2,722 guests, and 1,385 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,215
Posts18,485,497
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.