Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Looking for some ideas on upgrading my binoculars for elk hunting. Looking at Steiner 8x30 and vortex diamondback. Would like to hear what others are using

GB1

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by slingblade
Would like to hear what others are using

I'm using Zeiss T*FL 8x42, and they're about all I could hope for. I got 'em as a Shot Show special 11 years ago. I'd have to think long and hard about buying them for retail these days.

If I were to do it all over again, I'd probably still stay with 8x42's. While I really like the size and weight advantage of an 8x30, I prefer the bigger field of view in elk country. I'd also take a long look at some of the Asian glass, along with Doug's samples.

In the end, I'd trust what my eyes told me about picture and ergos, and trust what the long-time, non-jerk, members here told me about the company that made 'em.

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Depending on where I am at:

Steiner Peregrine 10x42
Zeiss 10x40B Classics
Swarovski EL 8.5x42

If I am after bulls, I am rarely without my 20-60X 65mm Swarovski ATM spotter. When I have this, I find myself less and less carrying a 10X bino.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have about a dozen pair of binoculars. I don't like the 10 power. They vibrate enough that it makes everything look blurry. My two favorite binoculars are as follows.

Carl Zeiss 8X30 Deltrentis. They have a very clear image. I bought them on eBay several years ago. They are a little compact, but still full size. Made in East Germany.

The other pair are Leupold Gold Rings in 9X35. These are the old-style that were made by Leupold. They are also very clear. But they weigh a little bit more than the Zeiss. I bought them back in the early 1980s.

Both of them are individual eyepiece focusing, porro prisms. All my hunting buddies prefer the Leupolds. If you can find them on eBay. They usually sell between $200 and $300.

If you reload, there's no such thing as an obsolete cartridge.

Once you render an opinion, you open yourself up to criticism.
J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Not sure what your budget is but I have a pair of 8x42 Leica Ultravids that I'd let go. These are the non-hd version but great glass and they even already been elk hunting.

Let me know if you're interested. I am also going to be in Oxford MS this weekend. I could bring them if you're close and wanted to see them in person.

Thanks and good luck

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Leupold BX3 8X32 Mojave's for me... I've been very happy and impressed with these great bino's:

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Although I have and like my swaro 10x42's, last year and likely this year's elk hunts will see me using either swaro 8.5x42's or my leica geovid 8x42's. I just haven't seemed to have missed much detail dropping down in X's.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I will agree with bsa. Those 8x32 Mojave's are really, really great little bins. They punch way above their price.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I like the 10x42 or similar for elk hunting, I'm not planning to carry even my compact spotting scope up the hills if I have a choice. Outside the truck spotters are great, on your back a few miles in they lose their appeal, at least for me.

I would try a bunch of different binoculars wherever you can, I had to drive about 800 miles to get to the nearest Cabelas to do a real comparison, luckily it was on the way to hunt elk. I think the Leupold, Nikon, and a bunch of others in the $400 range are a lot of bang for the buck. Until you get close to $1000 Meopta's it is hard for me to see a big difference.

I went through several binoculars before I found a deal on some Swarovski SLC's in 10x42 that have been exactly what I was looking for in an elk hunting binocular. There are several good binoculars that would probably serve your needs I like the Steiners I have looked through have not been impressed by the Vortex glass in general but some of the prices are really good for what you get.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
For my self imposed maximum shooting distance on game, which is about 300 yards, I have carried the same 10x42 Swarovski EL binocular for the past 15 years, and covered a large portion of the globe.

I have tried newer Leica and Zeiss since then, but always go back to my old Swarovskis. I suspect that the newer Swarovski Swarovision may be better, but I tried the new EL Range and gave them back.

It may be me and my old, failing eyes, but I have never found anything worth the extra money over my old 10x42 ELs.

donsm70

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Glass has changed so much (in a good way) even in just the last 5 years that my elk bino's are hopelessly outdated... but I still love them... 8x30 Swaro SLC.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
Glass has changed so much (in a good way) even in just the last 5 years that my elk bino's are hopelessly outdated... but I still love them... 8x30 Swaro SLC.

Yeah, those are garbage. I'll send you $50.00 for them... Or better yet, a FTF... laugh

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I bought 'em, jeez, about 15 years ago? That's crazy. Anyway, they are just a great size, work well with my eyes, and are gorgeous to look through. The detail is amazing. I glue them to my face for still-hunting blacktail withmy .358... they've been a good companion. Here they are at Steens last fall:

[Linked Image]

I'd say they are all the smaller I'd want to go for a general-purpose hunting binoc, but they hit a home run with these IMHO.

They were a reach for me at the time... layaway at the LGS... but I've never regretted a penny of it!

But what's weird is that now it's arguable a guy could get really damn close for like $300, right?! Hence my "obsolete opinion" warning up front! grin

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
JO -
Copy That!
Over 20 years ago bought a pair of Swarovski 8 x30s and paid more than a rifle for them.
After pounding them for two decades sent into corp mainly for new rubber and reseal.
Swarvorski said they would comp me rubber but lense coating worn. Gladly sent $150 for
new lenses from Austria. Could not believe when I opened box two weeks latter. Sent me
new everything! Talk about being stoked. How is that for talking care of a customer.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks for all the replies I am researching different models. Last year a friend loaned me his vortex diamondback. Where I work has a pair of Steiners. These were all I had to try outside and not in store. Thanks again

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Discontinued but I still love my Leupold GR switch power 7-12 x 32's. I like the 32's and have full sized still but give up only weight and bulk by carrying the compacts.

Good Shooting!
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I am completely enamored with my Swarovski EL 8.5x42. Every time I put them up to my eyes, I am amazed at the clarity and sharpness of the image.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by whitebread; 03/14/17.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Sub $1K, Cabelas Euro HD 8x32 ($699) or 10x42 ($999) depending upon what physical size you like. Not sure if it's an issue for you but both sets work well with glasses too. Spin the eyecups down and you get a full view with glasses on.

If you're looking for something with an on-board LRF Camerland advertised a set of 10x42 Geovid HD-B's for $2K yesterday.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Leupold BX3 8X32 Mojave's for me... I've been very happy and impressed with these great bino's

Originally Posted by JGRaider
I will agree with bsa. Those 8x32 Mojave's are really, really great little bins. They punch way above their price.

I got them in their Cabela's Guide Series form, when they were marked-down to $149.99 on clearance last Fall. I preferred them to models costing > $500. sick FWIW, I just noticed that not only have they not been closed-out, they're listed at $249.

As has been said, it's a great time to be an optics shopper.

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Have the Meopta HDs. 10x42. Beautiful view.

But...would part with, as I'm really thinking of going 8 for my uses. Wanna keep the 10s, but it just seems like a shame for that great glass to sit idle.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

599 members (1100mag, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 52 invisible), 18,904 guests, and 1,323 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,973
Posts18,539,922
Members74,052
Most Online20,796
04:44 PM

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.