Print Thread
Hop To
J
Campfire Oracle
OP Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
GB1

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Wow, this is cool !!! ????
I bet that's what Timothy Tredwell was thinking about 3 seconds before his life ended.
They were lucky.

MOLON LABE
J
Campfire Oracle
OP Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
My thoughts also. I never considered people were stupid enough to think travelling in a group would protect them and not have a gun.

I wonder how common it is for stupid suckers to do stuff like tha t.

I wonder what the chances are that bear will kill some folks the next time he gets a chance if he happens to feel like it or be pissed off at the moment.

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I've spent a good bit of time working and guiding around them, and for my two cents, that bear wasn't charging those folks at all. It was running from another bear. And I'd also say that it didn't seem to like having to abort the flight and divert because of those idiot humans in the way...lol

I don't live but a short flight from Katmai - but I don't go there. I don't figure I'd have a good time with that crowd.

Decide that you want it more than you are afraid of it.
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Damn, I would not have been on that stream without a 12 ga & slugs, or one of my 41's as I don't own anything bigger.

I think we would have discovered just how fast I could lever ten rounds of 255 hard cast through the model 1894.

And I gaurandamtee my wife has enough sense that she would not have been standing there with that stupid grin on her face. My wife would have been well aware of just how close she had just come to meeting her maker.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
IC B2

J
Campfire Oracle
OP Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
It looked to me like it was a charge the bear decided not to push.

Would you have just stood there and, as the people said, let the bear come up to you and touch your hoodie if you had a gun and it wasnt charging?

Ears laid back as it looked you over wouldnt have elicited your concern?

Last edited by jaguartx; 03/17/17.

I Dindo Nuffin
673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by AKtrapper26
I've spent a good bit of time working and guiding around them, and for my two cents, that bear wasn't charging those folks at all. It was running from another bear. And I'd also say that it didn't seem to like having to abort the flight and divert because of those idiot humans in the way...lol

I don't live but a short flight from Katmai - but I don't go there. I don't figure I'd have a good time with that crowd.

I think that the bear was running from another bear too, and the peeps are lucky the bear was well fed cause he looked like it had a real little basterd attitude. laugh

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
smile I have not, and would not, let any bear come up and touch any part of me - even if he was smiling the whole time...

Those ears, yes, definitely bad body language, but I feel it was more the stress caused by the encounter he had just had prior, instead of the one with the people. I feel like the body language prior to the approach, and the immediate checking of his six, broadcast a bad encounter with another bear...he was right next to cover, and chose not to enter it and avoid the human confrontation - and I feel (don't know as I was not there) that was for a reason. They may not be scared of much of anything, but they haven't shown me that they are frivolous with their own hides when it comes to each other, either. I'd be interested to see if others chime in.

I would venture to say, that even if a bear wasn't running at me on purpose, and was instead running FROM something else, I wouldn't want to be the object that cut off his exit..they can shift the focus of their discontent pretty quick. And by that I mean mighty quick. And that's an understatement. smile

I have been different situations counting salmon streamside (work), and fishing (not work) and had them come over a rise in my direction for many reasons. Even the ones that were hightailing it from a more dominant bear, or the ones who were just after the fish in the hole and didn't know I was there until we both got a surprise - scared the you know what out of me, and those bears keep your quick draw abilities ahh...'sharper'.

Decide that you want it more than you are afraid of it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

You know, I didn't pick up on that, but watching it a second time, I think you are right, the bear was looking over his shoulder.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

I agree completely... that was not even a false charge, let alone a real one.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B3

J
Campfire Oracle
OP Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
So Sitka, would you have let him come up to you and touched your hoodie if he were acting as this bear was?

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
That's scary

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
not a charge, just curiosity. at that point any aggressive behavior on the peoples part would have made it dangerous. he knew he was out numbered by the humans and possibly is habituated to seeing groups like them. just found himself close and decided to investigate.

Last edited by deerstalker; 03/18/17.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

121 members (44mc, 007FJ, 808outdoors, 7887mm08, 35, 10Glocks, 9 invisible), 1,283 guests, and 820 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,868
Posts18,478,692
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.