Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 14 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 13 14
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bbassi
My take, FWIW. I own and hunt land in the north country, upstate and the southern tier. North of Syracuse I would consider any buck a trophy due to the lower density. Around home in Western NY we grow some bruiser bucks and I've been more than blessed to kill quite a few really nice 3+ yo bucks. We also have access to more doe tags then I would ever need to fill in a year. I hunted the Southern tier a lot more when I was younger but still hunt Steuben/Allegheny with friends from time to time. The deer heard in that area is but a shadow of what it once was, but there are lots and lots of really nice deer taken down there every year WITHOUT the need for ARs.

One of the biggest problems I see is we are losing hunters every year in this state for a multitude of reasons. What I'm afraid ARs will do is discourage the guy that can maybe only get out one or 2 days a year. If Joe weekend hunter now has to let bucks walk , he very well could decide it's not worth it anymore to buy that $40 license that supports the sport. Not every guy who likes to hunt can afford to take time off to do so, but we NEED every dam one of those hunters to continue the pursuit or pretty soon they wont be anything left of the sportsman's voting block and then there wont be any hunting left at all.

When we were younger we used to think ARs were a good idea, BUT - Who am I to tell you what you should be able to shoot or not shoot? If a guy want's to shoot a yearling spike and it makes him happy, God bless him. That should be his choice. Bottom line - you don't NEED ARs to grow big bucks, you just need some self control. The a$$wholes who are pushing this are just a bunch of greedy, self righteous Yankees that want to control chit that ain't theirs.

Are the doe tags plentiful in the area to be impacted by AR? If so, why would a 1-2 day hunter worry that he can't shoot a spike? I usually see more does that bucks.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Autofive
There are many landowners in the county that I live in that are hard pressed to even hang on to there property due to the outrageous tax burden.Telling these folks what size deer that they can kill on their own land is not going to set too well!
I'd have to agree with that.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by gophergunner
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Mostly it appeases guys who are mainly hunting for horns {IOW bragging rights } and are too stupid and/or lazy to find a "trophy buck" without special restrictions to increase their numbers.
This wasn't done for the trophy hunters. It was done to improve the overall health of the deer herd.
Horseshyt ! NYDEC biologists have done numerous studies and concluded our deer herd is perfectly healthy just the way it is. Their official position is that antler restictions are completely unnecesary for the health of our herd.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Autofive
I didn't intend to go off topic ,but ,there are many variables to consider.As in many things ,you can't please everyone!
True dat.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Steelhead
So if you don't draw an antlerless tag, then you're only option for putting a deer in your freezer during rifle season might have to have 4 points on a side or some such silliness.

We've lost touch with what the very reason for hunting is. The further we move away from it, the worse things will become.
The purpose of hunting is, and always has been to maintain a healthy deer herd, not making sure there's a spike buck behind every tree so everyone can get a buck. It's our responsibility as hunters to maintain the herd. A healthy herd. Too many spikes, and too many spikes being killed, isn't a balanced herd.

Last edited by gophergunner; 03/20/17.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's pretty easy, if you don't want to shoot a dink, don't shoot a dink. I'm not sure why states need to legislate it.
They do it to develop a more balanced deer herd.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 78CJ
It's pretty easy, if you don't want to shoot a dink, don't shoot a dink. I'm not sure why states need to legislate it.

Its very simple actually, people shooting what they WANT does not work for the trophy buck crowd, and if I'm not going to voluntarily do it their way then they are going to make me.

This is not done for the trophy crowd. It's done for the betterment of the herd.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
The purpose of hunting is, and always has been to maintain a healthy deer herd, not making sure there's a spike buck behind every tree so everyone can get a buck. It's our responsibility as hunters to maintain the herd.
Wrong. My purpose for deer hunting was always to kill deer and fill my freezer with meat to feed myself and my family. The States purpose for setting seasons and bag limits is to keep deer numbers within the carrying capacity of the habitat. PGC failed to do that for many years and allowed their herd to become grossly overpopulated, hence the reason the massive herd reduction initiated by Gary Alt became necesary. Bigger bucks/antlers was just the carrot Alt dangled in front of hunters noses to get them to go along with the massive herd reduction.

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
I've seen wildlife management issues end up being regulated legislatively and it never goes well. I don't know why legislators think they are better equipped to make wildlife management decisions than the game department professionals of their respective states.

Why bother with a game department if management is going to be done by legislators or in some cases, the ballot box.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by battue
There are more of them every season.

Can't comment on NY, but in Pa it was a GC decision. Based on a few issues. Excess Deer for food supply and some insurance input with regards the number of Deer/Car collisions. Didn't hear a single comment from either side that had anything to do with how one hunts.
I think Battue would agree with me on this one-back before QDM, it wasn't at all uncommon to see the 35 deer the first morning. But you might look at 35 deer and maybe find on year and a half old spike out of all those sightings. Any deer much over 120 lbs. was considered a good sized deer. The herd was way too unbalanced. There were way too many does, and not enough bucks reaching maturity to even things out. The herd is much more balanced now, and the deer don't over-graze the available browse like they used to.

There was a time you could see strings of 50+. But that would be before almost all here times. Back in the late late 80's early 90's in the big woods you could see 30-40 with a small Buck usually. And occasionally a nice one would show up. And rarely a big one. I grew tired of it and moved S. By then the Deer had naturally migrated in that direction to more abundant feed.

Last edited by battue; 03/20/17.

laissez les bons temps rouler
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For a long list of reasons, I believe that AR are essentially anti-hunting.
The most recent bit of evidence: that the legislature here in New York is behind the current effort, the same folks that brought us the SAFE act.
The DEC is not involved and does not agree.
It is disappointing, in the extreme, that the QDM and other selfish "sportsman are begging for more regulations by supporting yet another back door effort, bypassing the wildlife biologists.
The "holier than thou" attitude of these folks is noted.

Imagine your grave on a windy winter night. You've been dead for 70 years.
It's been 50 since a visitor last paused at your tombstone.....
Now explain why you're in a pissy mood today.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by fishdog52
The most recent bit of evidence: that the legislature here in New York is behind the current effort, the same folks that brought us the SAFE act.
It is disappointing, in the extreme, that the QDM and other selfish "sportsman are begging for more regulations by supporting yet another back door effort, bypassing the wildlife biologists.

I believe you are spot on.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Blackheart
The purpose of hunting is, and always has been to maintain a healthy deer herd, not making sure there's a spike buck behind every tree so everyone can get a buck. It's our responsibility as hunters to maintain the herd.
Wrong. My purpose for deer hunting was always to kill deer and fill my freezer with meat to feed myself and my family. The States purpose for setting seasons and bag limits is to keep deer numbers within the carrying capacity of the habitat. PGC failed to do that for many years and allowed their herd to become grossly overpopulated, hence the reason the massive herd reduction initiated by Gary Alt became necesary. Bigger bucks/antlers was just the carrot Alt dangled in front of hunters noses to get them to go along with the massive herd reduction.
That might be your purpose, but it's not the Game Comission's purpose.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Southerntier8

The DEC 2006 survey found that 40.3 to 56 percent of hunters were dissatisfied with their buck hunting experience and a decade later only 41 percent of hunters were moderately or very satisfied with opportunities to take an adult buck."

Insert: Per DEC, seems like everyone isn't all that happy

Such regulations are normally under the jurisdiction of the state Department of Environmental Conservation. Bills like those, though, amount to an end run around the DEC. The Yearling Buck Protection Program in the Catskills was put into effect due to a special bill proposed by state lawmakers from that area, not the DEC.

Antler restrictions are controversial on the state's deer hunting scene. This past fall the DEC in its 2016-2017 asked hunters to voluntarily pass on taking young bucks. The hunting guide cover featured a picture of a deer with the question: "Want Older Bucks in NY? It's Your Choice."

Insert: Seems like the DEC isn't adverse to AR.

"For NY bucks to grow bigger bodies and larger antlers, they simply need to age," DEC said. "New York hunters can increase the likelihood of harvesting a 2.5-year-old or older bucks simply by choosing to pass up shots at young bucks."

The rationale is that older buck are more challenging to hunt, yield more meat and bigger racks - and "create more rubs and scrapes and vocalize more - all things that enhance the deer hunting experience," according to the DEC.

The issue of antler restrictions is a long-standing and extremely ontroversial issue among the state's hunters. Many hunters value and are outspoken on having the freedom to shoot whatever size buck they choose - particularly hunters who only get out once or just a couple of times during the season.

Meanwhile, the DEC worked with Cornell University to evaluate "regional variation in hunter values and the impacts on harvest, population management and hunter satisfaction."

"The study indicated that regulatory changes are not appropriate or most compatible with hunter values at this time," DEC said in a news release. As a result, the DEC decided to go with leaving the choice up to hunters in the rest of the state.

Insert: Again seem like the DEC isn't adverse, but doesn't think the time for change is right now.

John Rybinski, president of the CNY Chapter of the New York State Quality Deer Management Association, said, "I highly support this bill as does the majority of deer hunters as proven by eight Cornell surveys. The last, April 2015, showed 69 percent support yearling buck protection and 73 percent are willing to accept some limitations on buck hunting in order to protect more yearling bucks. The current DEC voluntary program is proven not to work. This needs to be law."

Chuck Parker, president of the New York State Conservation Council, said the council since 2009 has considered a total of 26 different resolutions advocating antler restrictions - and that each one was defeated by a two-thirds majority of the group's state-wide membership.

"Hunters want the right to choose. Any mandatory restriction such as this should be done by DEC regulation, not legislation. They (the DEC) have the expert wildlife biologists."

Insert: The hunters council has turned down 26 resolutions re AR, where did they come from? The hunters council says the DEC has the "expert wildllife biologists." Which implies if the DEC is for AR then the hunters should be also.

I still say the distinct possibility exists that your DEC jumped in bed with the legislature and let them do the dirty work. Thus they can say, we are implementing AR's because we have no choice.

Addition: The opposing sides here are in fact hunters.
Those who favor QDM and those who don't. Get ready for QDM to win the race. They are the new kids on the block. Their votes are the ones that count. The baby boomers are out and have one foot in the grave. It was a nice ride, but it's about over.

Last edited by battue; 03/20/17.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by fishdog52

I believe you are spot on.

Yep. Double spot on.
I've only spoken to 2 state wildlife biologist, but, both scoffed at the idea that antler restrictions have any scientific merit.
You want to shoot a big buck and practice QDM, that's great, and I applaud you.
But, don't legislate your values on the rest of the sportsmen.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Battue, you are probably correct,follow the votes and follow the money,the rest is smoke and mirrors!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
battue and Autofive, Since NY is the state that made Hillary a US Senator, and re-elected Cuomo after the SAFE Act, I can't find solid ground to argue otherwise.
Guess that I am hoping that, since Trump was elected, some sort of common sense might prevail. Tough to be optimisitic in this state.

Imagine your grave on a windy winter night. You've been dead for 70 years.
It's been 50 since a visitor last paused at your tombstone.....
Now explain why you're in a pissy mood today.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I"d suggest that many of you never try to raise any kind of livestock, at least not for profit anyway.

YMMV.

Scott your note about fine for sitters is fine, but IMHO we all enjoy different ways of hunting. I have to sit at our lease mostly. I don't have to at home and i"ve yet to worry myself while walking, if I didn't get a shot at a buck, there will always be next time...

OTOH I"ve often wondered if we limited our harvest to 1 deer here, we dont' care what it is, per X acres according to the population, what that would do to the herd in terms of numbers/balance and health. I"m not really willing though, since the current regs have went beyond my wildest hopes of helping.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by rost495
I"d suggest that many of you never try to raise any kind of livestock, at least not for profit anyway.

YMMV.

Scott your note about fine for sitters is fine, but IMHO we all enjoy different ways of hunting. I have to sit at our lease mostly. I don't have to at home and i"ve yet to worry myself while walking, if I didn't get a shot at a buck, there will always be next time...

OTOH I"ve often wondered if we limited our harvest to 1 deer here, we dont' care what it is, per X acres according to the population, what that would do to the herd in terms of numbers/balance and health. I"m not really willing though, since the current regs have went beyond my wildest hopes of helping.

Oh I get it, Live stock is the critters with the tags in there ears right?... oh wait ....

Raising live stock and Wildlife Management are about as far apart as it gets in my opinion.

A couple points, Nobody seems to ever bring the Does genetics into the trophy (QDM)discussions. There is a lot of research that has suggested that the Does contribute more to passing along antler characteristics the buck does.

The other is the point of all spikes being somehow inferior. Many controlled studies have debunked that myth along time ago.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
They may be far apart, in some aspects but the basics are the same totally. You manage for numbers according to food supply, and you manage the best you can per what you can tell of who produces the best animals.

Best animals are not going to be the largest antlers always. Generally they coorelate but not always.

We are after whats best for the herd, not the largest antlers. Large antlers are a side plus. Like getting more money at the sale for nice steers that took you some time to weed out the chaf in your herd.

Does. How can you deal with does? I don't know. But does that mean I should totally ignore what I can see? NOpe, not for me anyway.

Spikes. Nope they don't stay spikes at all. But I've been able to track some here at the house due to identifiable body characteristics in a couple of ways, and in the end, I've yet to see a spike turn into something that I'd really want to pass the genes along... nice deer, yes, but not the big heavy bodies and better genetics.

I think the panty in the wad crowd sometimes wants to just claim deer management is about huge antlers. Done correctly IMHO it benefits the herd as best you can, and along the way larger antlers tend to be a side effect that most can deal with.

How many times have you passed up the biggest buck in the woods because you wanted to shoot a smaller one? Actually at my age I am about at that point, I leave the best for others or to continue to breed and try to cull out the smaller body deer/least appealing antlers.

So in saying that I can't say I"m not about antlers, but it certainly is not all I"m looking at.

I leave the biggest does, shoot the smaller ones that are not as healthy looking and so on.

You can err a few ways... one of them is kill all the best does and bucks while they are in their breeding prime, or you cna totally ignore it and get what we had here, inbreeding, deer that were 5 plus years old and racks were not more than 10 inches wide, heavy, bodies small and wiry and so on... plus the fact that so many folks shot every legal deer they saw( and was legal to do because legal was antlered)(so much for protecting all does and have that solve your problems)

The thing though, all solutions have to be balanced.

And if you have folks that don't care, just want to shoot the first legal deer and go home, then you can't really try to manage. I"m good with that too, I"ll still do what I do, but it won't help much unless I can control a block of land.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Page 7 of 14 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (1minute, 22250rem, 1beaver_shooter, 204guy, 17CalFan, 222ND, 66 invisible), 2,276 guests, and 1,423 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,941
Posts18,480,065
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.