-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Have owned 3. First one went to a kid who couldn't afford a deer rifle. It was a Rem700 sporter with a after market Brown Prec. stock, Talley LW and a VX II 2-7X33LR on top. Kampfeld Ti bolt and she was the best offhand shooter I have ever owned. loved 120gr NP's and 100r NBT's. Traded him straight across for his 20" or so TV!

I have never seen one not shoot 100gr NBT's and R19.

GB1

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Seems to be an "out West" thing. Have never owned a 25-06. Not aware that any of my hunting buddies own a 25-06. Here in KY it generally jumps from .243 to .270 to .30-06. A few 7RM's and 300WM's thrown in for good measure.

Nothing against the .25-06. But for me, I don't see it doing anything that I can't do with a .270 and handloads. If I were going to hunt a quarter bore here in KY, it would be a .257 Roberts.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I went in a gun shop in Kalispell Mt. on vacation and was asking about what calibers were popular up there. The guy told me the Indians around that area (Flat Head, I think) liked the 25-06. He said everyone else had magnum fever.

Back here in Indiana you don't see them very often. The DNR just started letting us use 30 caliber and 6mm rifles for deer season this year, so coyotes and punching paper is about all you can use it for. You can go to the Indiana DNR website to see what we can use for firearm season on deer.

I love the 25-06 and use it all the time to hunt coyotes. I hope some day I can come out and hunt antelope. I doubt if I will ever get to do an elk hunt but I would be hard pressed not to try it with the 25-06 just to prove a point.

A man only learns in two ways, one by reading, and the other by association with smarter people.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Sanchez; Do you know the rationale for allowing only 308cal or 243cal cartridges?

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by southtexas
Sanchez; Do you know the rationale for allowing only 308cal or 243cal cartridges?

I'm not Sanchez, and don't know much about Indiana except where it is on a map. However, if I were going to guess why only .30 or 6mm calibers would be ignorance...nothing else makes sense.

IC B2

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Well, it first started with basically handgun cartridges in rifles with given cartridge dimensions. One of the wildcats that was developed as a work around was the 358 Hoosier. I reload those and its essentially a shortened 308 Win case necked up to 358 bullets. The case has to be between 1.16" and 1.8" and bullet diameter of .357 or larger for any rifles other than 30 or 243 calibers.

Are you still with me, LOL.

The DNR was supposed to open it up to regular center fire rifle cartridges last year and did not. Then a state legislator got a bill passed and the 30 Cal and 6 MM was all that was in it, plus what ever was approved previously. Also the 30 & 6 can only be used on private land, and its on a try and see basis to be reviewed at the end of 5 years I think.

Most of the big stink came from people worried about stray shots with the center fire rifles vs. shot gun and hand gun cartridges. There was even talk about limiting it to south of US 40 as it is hilly and the bullets would not stray as far.
So now we can deer hunt with a 300 Ultra Mag or a 30 Carbine or a .243 but not a 100 grain 25-06!

I think the guy that got it passed had some people telling how the bill should be and just used those calibers as an example a they became the law. Kind of like how Nome Alaska got its name.

Oh I forgot that under the rules for handguns it has to fire a bullet of at least .243" with a minimum case length of 1.16" and no maximum length. Which means you can use a 25-06 handgun.

I know TMI.

A man only learns in two ways, one by reading, and the other by association with smarter people.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Wow! thanks! Appears to be a classic example of how ignorant government legislators pass stupid laws! crazy

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
It gives you great pain between your ears. It could be worse it could be Illinois. Sorry Illini.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have tried to like the cartridge. First try, the rifle was too heavy (Sako). Last try was a limited run of Ruger no. 1, a trim 24" barrel and an A style forearm. I could never find an appropriate scope that allowed for eye relief without seriously crawling the stock. Leupold 3.5-10 would work at up to 5x. Cutting the stock about an inch would have bee n a last resort solution, but having other drawbacks. So, I traded it a for a new bolt gun and scope in .223.

Best, jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Jack: sounds like you had rifle issues, not cartridge issues.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Sanchez
Well, it first started with basically handgun cartridges in rifles with given cartridge dimensions. One9 of the wildcats that was developed as a work around was the 358 Hoosier. I reload those and its essentially a shortened 308 Win case necked up to 358 bullets. The case has to be between 1.16" and 1.8" and bullet diameter of .357 or larger for any rifles other than 30 or 243 calibers.

Are you still with me, LOL.

The DNR was supposed to open it up to regular center fire rifle cartridges last year and did not. Then a state legislator got a bill passed and the 30 Cal and 6 MM was all that was in it, plus what ever was approved previously. Also the 30 & 6 can only be used on private land, and its on a try and see basis to be reviewed at the end of 5 years I think.

Most of the big stink came from people worried about stray shots with the center fire rifles vs. shot gun and hand gun cartridges. There was even talk about limiting it to south of US 40 as it is hilly and the bullets would not stray as far.
So now we can deer hunt with a 300 Ultra Mag or a 30 Carbine or a .243 but not a 100 grain 25-06!

I think the guy that got it passed had some people telling how the bill should be and just used those calibers as an example a they became the law. Kind of like how Nome Alaska got its name.

Oh I forgot that under the rules for handguns it has to fire a bullet of at least .243" with a minimum case length of 1.16" and no maximum length. Which means you can use a 25-06 handgun.

I know TMI.

There is some question about Nome, but Chicken is a better example. They wanted to name the town Ptarmigan but no one knew how to spell it. So they went with Chicken.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
I picked up a discontinued Marlin MR-7 (excellent platform) for a cousin's son to use as his fist deer rifle. It's well-built and very accurate and he's been dropping NE whitetails in style for years now.....

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Smallfry: I have three close friends who Hunt all manner of game with the 25/06 Remington caliber, INCLUDING Elk!
I have pair of VERY accurate 25/06 bolt action Rifles myself.
I don't Hunt Elk with them but I have seen two of my friends kill Bull Elk with their 25/06's.
I have seen one of my friends kill both Mt. Goat and a Black Bear with his 25/06.
Bullet placement and quality construction are most likely keys with this caliber for the larger game.
I have killed three kinds of Deer, Antelope, Coyotes and Rock Chucks with my 25/06's and have had it along on several Wolf Hunts (no luck there as yet).
I always have made it a point (for the last 50+ years anyway) to casually inquire of Hunters I come across afield (both Big Game Hunting and Varmint Hunting) which caliber Rifle they are using.
The 25/06 is and has been pretty popular here in the west.
The 25/06 Remington does a LOT of things very well indeed!
Long live the 25/06 Remington.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a good friend who has shot just about everything we have to offer here right up to a grizzly with his 25-06. Never had an issue with it....

Rob
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I had a pushfeed Model 70 in .25-06 that would shoot the eye out of a gnat with 4350 and Hornady 100 gr spirepoints. Took my first pronghorn with it at 383 steps (before laser rangefinder days). However, I found the light bullet tended to wander in the wind and tried changing to a 7 mag with 140gr ballistic tips. Seemed to be not so sensitive to the crosswinds, and I have never looked back. Whatever works.

E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
I've had a 25-06 for all but two years (the first two) of my hunting life. I think it's a great round and I really don't know how many deer, hogs and coyotes if killed with it but it's a bunch. I'll always own several.

A true friend is someone who reaches for your
hand but touches your heart !!!
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

662 members (160user, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 68 invisible), 2,538 guests, and 1,371 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,194
Posts18,524,045
Members74,030
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.