Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 16 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 15 16
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kingston

Yea, but they don't keep time for shít.

Not everyone buys a Rolex for reference to the time, Ive seen people wearing them but looking at their phones for the time.
...A diamond is a better long term less hassle investment if they are only after a prestige status symbol decoration.

Even in a high-end watch store, ask them the time of day as you are perusing an item, and they will often look at the cheap
quartz shop clock they have on the wall or maybe their phone, rather than the $000s worth of watch displayed on their wrist. ..

BTW:

Ive spend a good bit of time in a top end of town central businesss district where the multinational financial giants executives frequent,
as well a nations top shelf highest priced attorneys law offices are also very nearby... I have regularly see them buying their coffee
during the day as I buy mine, or regularly passing me as they go to/from the nearby supreme courts to their law offices and Ive rarely
if ever seen any of those people wearing a Rolex.
In the same immediate area, theres much high rise construction taking place in the billions of dollars in the past few yrs, where you will
see project managers, engineers, big bosses of the large contract companies etc, or even the smaller but still well to do owner/contractors
for all the different services required for the construction..........Im still yet to notice any wearing a Rolex....and the flagship Rolex store
is very much located right near the numeruous big banks executives offices, numerous atttorneys offices and the wealthy construction
types on site.

By far, the most Rolex Ive seen in this area are in the window of the well know nearby used watch dealer....
either on consignment or now owned by the shop...the rest I suspect mostly just stay in the home safe or just
collect dust sitting on the dresser.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
How many times have they kicked you out of the Rolex store?

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Now thats funny...and might be true smile!! The End.

Patron member, NRA, Life Member SCI,
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Interesting thread here.

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
All this talk of fine time pieces. Decided to pull the trigger. laugh

[Linked Image]

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Nice!

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Very nice. I like the face of that model.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Dumb assumption that I go to Rolex stores... I don't peruse Rolex watches...nothing special about them to warrant it.
but people with little knowledge of horology would struggle to understand that.

Many Rolex owners become so after watching the tennis and always seeing the Rolex sign,
but mostly know fck all else about what they are buying....horology?...whats that?

When Rolex owners prefer to look at their iPhone, what more can anyone say.
Posturing with a lower end high production luxury watch at that...all they need
then is a ditch water common Louis Vuitton handbag for the wife.. wink

You can get very good EDC swiss automatic tool watches for small fraction of the cost of a Rolex tool watch.
then if you want something really worthwhile to pass to a son and/or grandson..there are far better choices
than Rlx without even the need to spend more.

Rolex built its reputation with its Daytona model using chrono movements they didn't make....LOL
60s-80s they used a Valjoux calibre.
80s - 2000 they used a Zenith calibre.
Finally they developed their own in house 4130 cal. and also changed the dials, but many dont care for it,
because they prefer the superficial cosmetics of the old model with the Zenith.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Check out any bar in Santa Fe N.M. All our hispanic brethren wear them.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Pat85

[Linked Image]

The Master Chronometer 8900 movement is Omega's most significant contribution to horology. Congrats on your new Seamaster.

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

[Linked Image]

Classy watch, keep up on the maintenance or stay out of the water! Reading this thread reminds me of a Rolex I used to have as well, if anyone wants GPS coordinates and has diving gear PM me..it's in Lake Michigan, aprox 120 FOW about 2 miles out from Milwaukee. Anymore my Seiko automatic is my 'good watch'...and them somebeotches are up close to $500 at the PX now too!

[Linked Image]

Liberalism; The impossible yet accepted notion that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

[Linked Image]

Congrats on the Seamaster. I think I might buy one myself one of these days. Can't get excited about Rolexes costing a pile of money, when they make a million a year of them.

I seldom wear a watch anymore; either have a cell phone handy or read the display on the computer. But I do still have a couple of nice mechanical watches, when I feel like wearing them, but I like them for being finely crafted tools and machines, not as a status symbol.

The ones that amaze me are some of the Ulysse Nardins. The complications all operating mechanically, are quite astonishing. At one point UN was selling a watch that kept an accurate calendar including leap years for the next 99 years. How you do that with a tiny little mechanism is quite astonishing.

But the most compliments I ever got on a watch were a Fossil, with a bright green face grin If you buy an expensive watch, you'd best plan to wear it because it pleases you, not to impress others.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
When I was first assigned "abroad" in 2004 I learned early that the first thing (maybe second as chasing azz was often the deal) an expat did was buy a Rolex. Most came from places where they were now making multiple times their country pay and, if managed right, paid little income tax. The Rolex was the "achievement" trophy.

I was working in a construction camp in Ras Laffan industrial complex outside of Doha. The camp housed and managed 50K+ workers. Simply amazing. We had a couple of pubs, sort of enlisted or officer. We soon learned the enlisted pub was the place to be. Surprise... My usual group of "weekenders" were UK'ers and Filipinos. During one of many nights out a particular British accounting rep of mine got absolutely sauced. The rest of us convinced him to sell me his Rolex "whatever" for $1K. He agreed and I went to bed with his watch. The following day was hilalious.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
On the positive, Rolex dive watches are the only true dive heritage watch, ill grant them that,
once issued to Comex divers, they were used to actually do the job they were designed and manufactured for.

Anyone who has such rare Comex example, can pretend to be a real pro-diver.

Submariners/Sea Dwellers also transition well from the wetsuit to the office suit, they dont look
out of place under a fine cuff.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
I wear a submariner everyday bought it a bit over thirty years ago I am 52 you can do the math
I spent (not sure on it) and nothing else I spent the $$$ on do I still have
I was married (twice) with it
Held my daughter for the first time walked her down the isle and all in between
Went to Church
I shook many great mens hands and a US President
Touch a couple special Ladys
Killed a few deer and my first Elk
caught some beautiful salmon and a bunch of Marlin and Dorado
Fish with Captian Dan and SSB
held a best friend while dieing
Spend wonderful times with friends and Family
Hugged my sister
shot a Python and a 6.5 for the first time
watched Biazzare Foods and The Godfather
and plenty of other things that make my life worth while

All wearing my raised chrystal Sub (some will know how old that makes it)
I would take a bullet for it its a part of me
and most people have no idea its even a Rolex those that do apreciate it

Fakes are easy to spot watch the second hand

Hank
in the mean time I bought a two tone Datejust
its nice but just a watch my Sub is part of me

Last edited by boatboy; 03/22/17.

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I don't understand the allure of Rolex watches - unreasonably expensive (to me), they keep poor time, and I've actually never seen one I like the looks of. They all look gaudy to me. Just my opinion.

That said, I would not disparage anyone who wants one or buys one - doesn't make a difference in my little world so have at it, if it makes you happy!

I don't wear a watch, but if I did it would be something that looks like the Breitling Navitimer 01 but costs 90% less. Black leather strap please! I think this watch looks rugged but classy:

Navitimer 01

The DIPCHIT ADD, after a morning of drinking:

You despair, repeatedly, constantly! daily basis?
A despair ninny.
Sack up, despire ninny.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Some Rolex history for the Rolex aficianodo's, 7 page article:

http://www.watchtime.com/blog/watch...x-chronometers-and-rolex-oyster-watches/

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I have 2 Omegas (Speed Master Mk IV and Constellation) but I rarely wear them. Every 7-10 years I have to send them to Switzerland for overhaul ($1,100 incl. shipping). Rather, I wear a cheap digital I buy from Walmart for less then $20; if it loose or break it, not big deal. These cheap watches are accurate and reliable.

F
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
F
I agree with boatboy. A long,long,time ago I was a sales rep in Mich that dealt with customers that bought,sold,traded and used Rolex's, Brownings,and Leica cameras. Back about 1972 I traded an older Leica camera for a gold and stainless Rolex datejust. I have worn it everyday since then. It's been all over this great country and it's on my wrist as I write this.
Some things are just classics no matter what they cost. Pre 64 Win. Parkers, Sweet Elsie's, 99's, Colt Woodsmans,rangefinder Leicas,and Rolex's.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Rolex send their movements to COSC to be independently certified, they need to be within (-4/+6) in 5 positions to receive a cert.
hence why the dial says 'Superlative chronometer officially certified'..( superlative, officially and certified, only being marketing words)
All Breiltlings are now COSC , even some Tissots are COSC.

If you have a $500 uncert. automatic , you can send it to COSC with I think US$250+? for the same test & cert Rolex obtains.

When you have your Rolex cal. pulled apart for a major overhaul , technicians needs to check if it has kept COSC specs,
and will adjust and test it for the required number of days accordingly. Which means they could do the same in-house after
manufacture. - No real need to send it to COSC....OMEGA does its own in-house cert. which typically exceeds COSC std.

Many automatics on the market that are not certified in anyway, can still be within COSC, or made so through simple regulation.

Page 7 of 16 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 15 16

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

511 members (1Akshooter, 1beaver_shooter, 222Sako, 2500HD, 01Foreman400, 21, 61 invisible), 2,454 guests, and 1,218 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,454
Posts18,489,678
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.