Home
Posted By: 66niteowl Rolex Watch ? - 03/18/17
Anyone here have a Rolex ? What made you want one ? I've been looking for a while, they seem to be a good investment.
Posted By: ftbt Re: Rolex Watch ? - 03/18/17
More of a status symbol than anything else. In 1984 I received a small inheritance after my Dad died ... about $800.00. I wanted to buy something that would always remind me of him. So, I bought a new stainless steel Rolex Submariner. I looked long and hard to find it .... but it was a new watch from a jeweler with papers/warranty, etc. I have worn it everyday since I bought it. If I had to replace it today, I couldn't afford it. Is it an accurate watch? Not particularly. It runs several minutes slow each week. That's just the way it is. A cleaning at an authorized Rolex jeweler costs nearly what I paid for the watch. However, it is still waterproof, looks good, and just like the old Timex watches, " ... it takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin' ... "
Posted By: gregintenn Re: Rolex Watch ? - 03/18/17
My cell phone has a clock on it.

I don't give a damn about impressing anyone.
Posted By: RipSnort Re: Rolex Watch ? - 03/18/17
The only reason to buy a Rolex is if you like wearing jewelry.

RS
Posted By: 66niteowl Re: Rolex Watch ? - 03/18/17
Originally Posted by gregintenn

Same here dude, I drive an old 2010 Ford truck that's paid for, I'm sure your on the same page
Originally Posted by 66niteowl

Same here dude, I drive an old 2010 Ford truck that's paid for, I'm sure your on the same page

LOL! That's a late model next to everything in my garage. The last vehicle I drove that wasn't paid for was in 1993. It only took once for me to learn that lesson. I don't have anything that isn't paid for anymore.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Rolex Watch ? - 03/18/17
There's so many fakes out there, nobody would believe mine was real anyway, if I did have one.

Not trying to impress anyone or leave a valuable legacy with a wristwatch either.
Posted By: OrangeOkie Re: Rolex Watch ? - 03/18/17
I don't know about being an investment, but I have always wanted a Rolex. It would be a neat gift to pass along to a son I guess. Gold is gold.
Posted By: RichardAustin Re: Rolex Watch ? - 03/18/17
Submariner. Wanted it because it was a dive watch. As far as jewelry goes they have been a pretty good investment. Rolex limits the output so price is always rising. Keeps lousy time. A $20.00 Timex would keep better time.
Posted By: gonehuntin Re: Rolex Watch ? - 03/18/17
they seem to be a good investment.

For the most part, an 'investment' watch is a tourbillon, minute-repeater, or a desirable limited edition from a Swiss mfg ($$). Your run-of-the-mill Rolex is mass-produced (for a Swiss watch, anyway) and if it is gold then that will be it's value down the road. An example of a collectible Rolex is a 'Paul Newman' Cosmograph Daytona (out of production, now). Buy it because you like it, not for an investment.
Posted By: Terryk Re: Rolex Watch ? - 03/18/17
I would be looking at a rifle or pistol, not jewelry.
Posted By: T LEE Re: Rolex Watch ? - 03/18/17
I like Rolex and Patek Phillip watches but can only afford to wear a Pulsar my wife bought me some 30 years ago. If I had the bucks I would buy one.
Posted By: cra1948 Re: Rolex Watch ? - 03/18/17
Gold and stainless Datejust. Bought it when I was in the Navy, a gift to myself for my 21st birthday. I guess as much as anything because my dad did the same thing during WWII.

It's been one of three constants in my life for the past 48 years. It's been through hell and high water with me and still works. The only things I've had longer are my Anschutz 141 .22 WRM and the Bible my grandmother gave me when I was 6.

I don't especially like wearing "jewelry" and don't, other than my watch and wedding band. I wouldn't wear a wedding band, but it means a lot to my wife.

My grandfather always said, "A man should never leave the house without his belt, his pocket knife and his watch." Gramps would sure be shaking his head at all the little fa99ots running around these days.
Posted By: Bwana_1 Re: Rolex Watch ? - 03/18/17
"The half minute which we daily devote to the winding-up of our watches is an exertion of labour almost insensible; yet, by the aid of a few wheels, its effect is spread over the whole twenty-four hours."
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Rolex Watch ? - 03/18/17
Originally Posted by RipSnort
The only reason to buy a Rolex is if you like PICKING UP WOMEN.
RS
FIXT.

2010 is old?
Posted By: Spotshooter Re: Rolex Watch ? - 03/18/17
They need tune up's - many of the older ones don't keep time well.

Not cheap getting them regulated buy a qualified person.
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
There's so many fakes out there, nobody would believe mine was real anyway, if I did have one.

Not trying to impress anyone or leave a valuable legacy with a wristwatch either.

They can get you killed in Mexico.

I have a SS one given to me years ago by an employer. A sharp edge where the band connects to the case is abrasive to the left pocket edge.

At over $500 for cleaning it sits in a drawer.
Posted By: liliysdad Re: Rolex Watch ? - 03/18/17

You may not care that you look like a 12 year old when you have to dig your phone out to check the time.....but others do.

One of the most lasting lessons my father, and my grandfather, taught me is that a man wears a watch, a belt, and a pocket knife every day....

I could say we realize that about folks from Tennessee but I aint going to, Greg. wink

I been known to be likewise. grin
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: Rolex Watch ? - 03/18/17
Originally Posted by RipSnort
The only reason to buy a Rolex is if you like wearing jewelry.

RS

Bullchips.
Posted By: navlav8r Re: Rolex Watch ? - 03/18/17
In July, 1972 after a summer Midshipman training cruise I had some extra cash in my pocket when all us Middies were all consolidated at Clark AFB, Philippines for a return flight to CONUS.

I saw a Rolex Explorer (I believe the model that Sir Edmund Hillary wore on his Everest expedition) on display in the base exchange for $150. It's waterproof, self-winding and probably the simplest design that they make. IIRC, the Submariners were about the same price but I liked the size and design of the Explorer better. I thought about it for quite a while and thinking that I'd probably not be able to find one for that price later on, I said "what the heck" and paid cash + no tax smile

I've worn it practically every day since. I've had to replace the crystal twice due to scratches from hitting things in the cockpit and/or on the carrier. I had to have the winding stem replaced once and had to replace the band a few years back because the links were wearing through and about to break. It doesn't keep perfect time but it's pretty close and the error is at a predictable rate (as a chronometer should...remember 1970's technology)

In about 1980 the Midway stopped at Hong Kong after 3 1/2 months in the Indian Ocean off the coast of Iran. I went into the China Fleet Exchange (for the British fleet) and they had a good selection of Rolexes and I bought my wife a "Date-just" which she's worn every day since then. She's had to replace the crystal once.

Say what you will but having a precision mechanical device work for 45 years needing only one mechanical repair is a pretty good track record...80 years if both our watches are included.

Mine has my initials engraved on the back and when the time comes it'll go to my grandson who has my name.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Rolex Watch ? - 03/18/17
I have the same theory on Rolex watches as I have with most other things.

If you want it, buy it.
Posted By: Fubarski Re: Rolex Watch ? - 03/18/17
Had one.

"Certified Chronometer"

For some reason I though that meant it'd keep good time.

I was wrong.

Took it back to the jeweler, figured it was busted.

He told me that was the way it was.

Got my $ back.

Watch that don't keep time is like a rifle shootin 4" groups at 100.
Originally Posted by liliysdad

You may not care that you look like a 12 year old when you have to dig your phone out to check the time.....but others do.

One of the most lasting lessons my father, and my grandfather, taught me is that a man wears a watch, a belt, and a pocket knife every day....

My father taught me that real men don't wear jewelry.

Perhaps it is a regional thing.
Posted By: denton Re: Rolex Watch ? - 03/18/17
Years ago, I was spending a lot of time in Taiwan. Fake watches were available there for $15-25. Some of them were very well made, with high quality, crystals, and cases. They kept time very well and would last until you quit wearing them because you were tired of them.

So you have to ask, what value do you get from a Rolex that justifies the extra cost?

An argument could easily be made that a watch like a Rolex crosses a line near jewelry, but to call all watches such is silliness.

The ability to tell time is a vital part of being an adult. A watch is simply the most efficient, most unobtrusive manner in which to do so.

Relying on a cell phone is puerile, at best. I see this in all aspects of life, and its maddening.

What time is it? ...Look at the phone
Open your bibles.... Look at the phone
Whats the weather like outside? ...Look at the phone
Posted By: Scott F Re: Rolex Watch ? - 03/18/17
I found one in aboyt 25 feet of water at Roosevelt Roads PR. It had been there a while as the sand had frosted the crystal. I was ona repair ship and it had a watch shop. My friend who ran the shop put on a new crystal and timed it for me. It was a stainless Day Date Oyster Perpetual. I kept OK time but was not like today’s electronic watches for keeping time. EX wife sold it for $25 to go get drunk when I was at sea. I did not keep her long after that as that was her normal king of crap.

An argument could easily be made that a watch like a Rolex crosses a line near jewelry, but to call all watches such is silliness.

The ability to tell time is a vital part of being an adult. A watch is simply the most efficient, most unobtrusive manner in which to do so.

Relying on a cell phone is puerile, at best. I see this in all aspects of life, and its maddening.

Some folks work for a living, and jewelry can be dangerous when hung on machinery and such.
Posted By: Mathsr Re: Rolex Watch ? - 03/18/17
My Wife gave me one for my 45th birthday. A thief broke into my house and stole it along with some other stuff I'd like to get back. LEO's were all about getting the serial number, but it's been gone for 12 years now and I figure that it's gone forever. I replaced it with a Citizens Eco-Drive. It looks about the same from 10 feet away, keeps better time, don't have to worry about the self winding mech, water proof to 300 meters, and if someone steals it, $150.00 will get me another.

Some folks work for a living, and jewelry can be dangerous when hung on machinery and such.

Understood, and worked a few of those jobs. When I did, the watch and the ring came off when the whistle blew, and back on as I walked out. For those times not in a role where such items posed a health or safety risk, they were on from dawn till dusk.

Even as such, everyone's situation and needs are different, I dont think anyone debates that...
So, there's this handsome young stud off to foreign shores, seems like only yesterday. Gets assigned to a troop of beserkers doing business as Uncle Sam's Air Cavalry. Used choppers instead of horses. Clocks in the choppers seldom worked and when they did it wasn't for long. Stud found out that the vibration regime was death to the likes of a Bulova watch and much the same for the Timex and issue watches of the day. Fuel endurance for the choppers was about 2+15-2+30 depending on a few variables. Right after a fella starts sucking fumes in a chopper you hear the sound of silence. It is a rude awakening.

Stud bought a Rolex Submariner in the PX for $130. That was 48 years ago in a couple months. Still has the second crystal, second band and keeps on ticking no matter how hard he tries to break it.

Cell phones don't do well as dive watches, neither do sundials.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Rolex Watch ? - 03/18/17
Originally Posted by Steelhead

If you want it, buy it.

Your theory is simple yet splendidly accurate IMHO.
Posted By: bigfish9684 Re: Rolex Watch ? - 03/18/17

My grandfather told me you carry a handkerchief, watch and a pen. Though he always had a knife on him too, and a belt.

I don't leave home without a watch, belt, wallet, knife, phone and keys. Exception is if I have to run to the store and am already in sweats (this almost never happens unless I'm already in sweats at like 9pm and realize I need something I'm missing for dinner) in which case there's no belt, knife or watch. Only keys phone and wallet (but there's a knife in my car).

Me personally can't see spending more than $200 on a watch and I am a big fan of the Citizen Eco-Drive that runs on solar power and a battery reserve good for 6 months. Mine keep excellent time and are bomb proof.

Cheapest place to find Citizens IME is here or Costco on closeout (look for the asterisk on the price tag): http://www.jomashop.com/citizen.html?gender=Men%27s&movement=Eco-Drive
Posted By: DaddyRat Re: Rolex Watch ? - 03/18/17
I have one that my wife gave me. Wife has one she earned from work. Neither of us wear them much. I break to many things that attach to my hands. They are nice watches but more of a status symbol obviously.
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Rolex Watch ? - 03/18/17
Dan, when this young stud was in Vietnam, all the other young studs were ordering Seiko watches from the PACEX catalog. (And cameras, but that's another story.) So I did, also. Pilots needed all the bells and whistles (they told each other) and their watches had them.

I used the stopwatch function on those occasions when the cockpit clock didn't work (not often) and that's about all. Had that watch for years after 'Nam but have no idea what became of it.

These days, I find it difficult to NOT see a clock somewhere around me, so have little need for a watch. I wear one fishing so I won't be too late getting home, and that's about all.
Posted By: 66niteowl Re: Rolex Watch ? - 03/18/17
Originally Posted by jaguartx

2010 is old?

If you could see the shape it in you would agree , its old 😀
Posted By: Idaho_Shooter Re: Rolex Watch ? - 03/18/17

Some folks work in food manufacturing facilities where it is illegal to wear a watch on the floor.

I really miss having a reliable quartz watch on my wrist. It is amazing what fifty bucks will buy in terms of accuracy and reliability these days. Heck, a good band will cost as much as the watch.
Posted By: Cretch Re: Rolex Watch ? - 03/18/17

One of the most lasting lessons my father, and my grandfather, taught me is that a man wears a watch, a belt, and a pocket knife every day....[/quote]

My job does not allow me to wear a watch due to safety. Jewelry around machinery is not a good mix. Instead, I use my phone as my clock and don't give 2 sh*ts how it looks. I do feel naked without my knife though and won't leave the house without it.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Rolex Watch ? - 03/18/17
If you want a fancy watch, buy one.

But I cant believe it would be a "good" investment unless you plan on selling it one day.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Rolex Watch ? - 03/18/17
amazing that so many folks care, and care strongly what other folks do. Always good for a laugh though.
Posted By: SBTCO Re: Rolex Watch ? - 03/18/17
I ended up with my fathers' Rolex submariner in stainless when he died. Had the original box and receipt from 1973 when he bought it for $300. I look into fixing it, $500-$800 estimate. It didn't have any sentimental value so I listed it on Ebay. Half way through the auction the bidding was at $1800 and then the stem popped out of the watch when someone wanted to see the face with the hands moved. I posted the problem to let bidders know the score and even then, the final bid hit $2600 from a guy in Japan that had to have it, broken or not. So yeah, they can be a good investment. Getting 8x original price in the future, on a present day Rolex, is debatable however.
Posted By: ro1459 Re: Rolex Watch ? - 03/18/17
Bought a President Day-Date in Viet Nam for $800. Had it appraised last year by insurance company for $27,500. The question is...what would be the value of that $800 if I had put it in a 500 Fund and left it there? So I'm not sure it was a great investment value.
Posted By: Sykotik Re: Rolex Watch ? - 03/18/17
I would like to one day own a Rolex...Just because.

I wear a watch 24/7. The current one came from Walmart....15.99. Have it for 4 years. Working as a carpenter, I usually kill them quick. This one is good.

When the band breaks or the battery dies, I will get me another 15 dollar watch. It only has to tell time....and be accurate.

But a Rolex...I want one...Just to look at. I could tell people that I have a Rolex. If they don't believe me, I could show them and then put it back in the safe.

Then again, it would be like a gun you don't shoot out of the fear of lowering its value....In other words...Absolutely Useless.

Nah, for me, a Rolex would be useless. 15 dollar watches work good enough.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Rolex Watch ? - 03/18/17
I really enjoy watches. Some are beautiful pieces of craftsmanship.

That said, I almost never wear one.

Breitling makes some nice watches.
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
amazing that so many folks care, and care strongly what other folks do. Always good for a laugh though.

This^^^^. Puerile. wink
Posted By: TXRam Re: Rolex Watch ? - 03/18/17

Indeed!
Posted By: Bobmar Re: Rolex Watch ? - 03/18/17
Originally Posted by Scott F
I found one in aboyt 25 feet of water at Roosevelt Roads PR.

I spent two years at Rosey. A Rolex would have been about the only thing I'd want to take home from there!
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: Rolex Watch ? - 03/18/17
Saw this on fb awhile back. Thought it was neat.
Posted By: EdM Re: Rolex Watch ? - 03/18/17

No chitt Sam. I will spend my money as I desire and for no other reason. A bunch of simple pphukcs...
Posted By: jorgeI Re: Rolex Watch ? - 03/18/17
My dad got this for me the day I got my Wings in Pensacola , November of 1981. Been on my wrist ever since, save for a trip to Rolex every five years of so for a rehab:

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Starman Re: Rolex Watch ? - 03/18/17
Originally Posted by ftbt
More of a status symbol than anything else...

for many owners thats true...but that can be said of many consumer luxury goods more or less expensive.

They do hold their value comparatively we'll for a luxury good.

I suspect Rolex make a hefty margin of profit.
Posted By: add Re: Rolex Watch ? - 03/18/17

Yep, guys who wear watches are signaling their cross-dressing tendencies.

What else did he teach you?
Originally Posted by RichardAustin
.. Rolex limits the output so price is always rising. ..

Limited production:...Approaching a million watches made a yr from Rolex vs about 10,000 from Patek Philippe.

Posted By: dogzapper Re: Rolex Watch ? - 03/18/17

I owned and operated a Licensed Rolex Agency in our store for many years. Rolex is a superb watch.

Karen has worn a Rolex Lady President for the last twenty-five years or so.

I wore Gents Presidents and Steel and Gold Rolexes for several years and finally settled on one I cobbled together. It's a stainless steel 16200 ... I replaced the dial and hands with those of a Submariner.

Hard to believe the stainless watch is now in excess of $7000. Still, it's a heck of a fine timepiece.

My "mongrel" watch is light, just the right size and I love the visible dial and hands. I'll post it below.

God Bless,

Steve

[Linked Image]

Posted By: tikkanut Re: Rolex Watch ? - 03/18/17

do not wear a watch...never have or will...
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Rolex Watch ? - 03/18/17

amazing that so many folks care, and care strongly what other folks watch. Always good for a laugh though.

You should practice your own advice, but you won't and don't. Never not funny though.
Posted By: 222Rem Re: Rolex Watch ? - 03/18/17
Originally Posted by Steelhead

If you want it, buy it.

Agreed. Personal finances are just that, so if you've got the coin and a Rolex makes you happier than buying other stuff.........go for it.

I've got a few digital watches that keep perfect time, four quartz analogs that are very close, and one Seiko automatic that scratches most of the itch I've ever felt for a Rolex/Omega/et al.

I've also got a cell phone that I use for everything except checking the time or seeing my way in the dark...........that's what watches and flashlights are for.

I'm one of the least fashionable guys on this board, and have NO desire to flash any jewelry. I'd probably only wear a Rolex under a shirt sleeve if I owned one. But my nerdy mechanical brain loves the idea of the engineering perfection rolled into an automatic watch. A Seiko + lots of other toys weighs greater than a Rolex for my life/values. But I don't judge anyone who spends differently because it's not my money or business.
Originally Posted by dogzapper

My "mongrel" watch is light, just the right size and I love the visible dial and hands. I'll post it below.

God Bless,

Steve

[Linked Image]

Nicely assembled watch Steve. It loosely follows the field watch format, which is both classic and practical.
Posted By: RGK Re: Rolex Watch ? - 03/18/17
This one has been with me for quite awhile. It's been on more than one combat tour, over 100 parachute jumps and 24 years on my wrist as an LAPD street cop. It's my most prized possession. I wear it 24/7.
Bob

[Linked Image]
Posted By: gunswizard Re: Rolex Watch ? - 03/18/17
A jeweler friend told me that the fake Rolex watches in some cases kept better time than the real ones. I wouldn't want to risk getting mugged for a fake watch.
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
Saw this on fb awhile back. Thought it was neat.

It was fun to watch that old boy's reaction. I'm happy for him.
Posted By: navlav8r Re: Rolex Watch ? - 03/18/17

I owned and operated a Licensed Rolex Agency in our store for many years. Rolex is a superb watch.

I wore Gents Presidents and Steel and Gold Rolexes for several years and finally settled on one I cobbled together. It's a stainless steel 16200 ... I replaced the dial and hands with those of a Submariner.

Hard to believe the stainless watch is now in excess of $7000. Still, it's a heck of a fine timepiece.

God Bless,

Steve

[Linked Image]

Steve, looks a lot like my Explorer; same black face and hands with different hour markers and the date magnifier. Must have been nice to be able to mix and match until you found the combo you liked.

.. Rolex is a superb watch.

In horological terms, what makes Rolex a superb watch?

SUPERB , adjective.
-excellent, superlative, first-rate, first-class, superior, supreme, outstanding, remarkable, dazzling, marvellous, magnificent,
wonderful, splendid, admirable, noteworthy, impressive, fine, exquisite, exceptional, glorious, sublime, perfect, of the first order,
fantastic, fabulous, stellar, terrific, super, supercalifragilisticexpialidocious, awesome.
Posted By: Owl Re: Rolex Watch ? - 03/18/17
I have a Rolex, and a Breitling too. Both very very nice and a waste of money. Never wear them because I don't want to damage them.

For day to day wear... it's a Timex.
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Rolex Watch ? - 03/18/17
I'd rather have a nice painting hanging on the wall but to each their own.
Posted By: RichardAustin Re: Rolex Watch ? - 03/18/17
Originally Posted by Starman

Limited production:...Approaching a million watches made a yr from Rolex vs about 10,000 from Patek Philippe.

Personally I don't like tiny watches, and 1000000 units between 8000000000 consumers isn't flooding the market by any standard. That said, my watch seems to be worth more than two hundred and a half % of what I paid and I can live with that.
Posted By: gophergunner Re: Rolex Watch ? - 03/18/17
Kudos to those who own these. It's out of my range, but I've always thought of them as a sound investment, if you've got the green. My wife did several business trips to the Pacific Rim and came home with a Rolex knockoff she bought for her father. He wore it for about 10 years before it bit the dust. Not bad for a $10.00 purchase.
Posted By: KFWA Re: Rolex Watch ? - 03/18/17
bought a Rolex knockoff for $35 in the Bahamas.

I've never wore it, I'm just not the type but I couldn't turn it down for $35
Posted By: Jericho Re: Rolex Watch ? - 03/18/17
Had a guy tell me that for every legit Rolex you see, you will encounter 7 or 8 fakes. Also told me that some of the fakes are pretty darn good.
Posted By: lvmiker Re: Rolex Watch ? - 03/18/17
I have two. One I inherited from my dad. The other was a gift that each member of my team received from a Navy pilot that we extracted from a schidtstorm west of Qui Nhon. They were each inscribed, "Timing is everything". They keep crappy time but I still like them.

I always thought it would be bad karma to be mugged for a fake Rolex.

Welcome home brothers.

mike r
Posted By: 1minute Re: Rolex Watch ? - 03/18/17
Yes. Status in today's world. Lot's of $40 digital units will be more accurate. The only time I worry about absolute accuracy though is when sniping on Ebay. Then I get out my GPS unit and grab stuff with about 2 seconds to go.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Rolex Watch ? - 03/18/17
Originally Posted by SamOlson

I'd take a really nice SxS if we're talking Rolex type money.
Forgot to mention this, but if you wear a Rolex it emits a force field that deflects incoming small arms fire. It also causes the fuses for incoming HE projectiles to rendered inoperable.
Posted By: Angus1895 Re: Rolex Watch ? - 03/18/17
I have clients who compete at Rolex? I personally run on Indian time if I can.
Posted By: westside_benny Re: Rolex Watch ? - 03/18/17
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Forgot to mention this, but if you wear a Rolex it emits a force field that deflects incoming small arms fire. It also causes the fuses for incoming HE projectiles to rendered inoperable.

That's real. It's because of how loud the badass is.
Posted By: OrangeOkie Re: Rolex Watch ? - 03/18/17
Pre-Owned Rolex Men's Submariner Blue Dial Watch

$35,309.99

[Linked Image]
Posted By: EdM Re: Rolex Watch ? - 03/18/17

Bingo...
Posted By: Fubarski Re: Rolex Watch ? - 03/18/17
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
Pre-Owned Rolex Men's Submariner Blue Dial Watch

$35,309.99

[Linked Image]

Thirty-Five grand worth of gold, and $300 worth of watch.

Personally I don't like tiny watches, and 1000000 units between 8000000000 consumers isn't flooding the market by any standard...

I said nothing about the extreme of flooding the market , I just questioned the claim of Rolex being limited production.
If a person can't go to a few authorised Rolex dealers in the same city and across different cities.. and not find a new SS-SubMariner
in the window or safe for sale in each and every store, Id be very surprised.

I dont know what you mean by tiny ,...is a 40mm Submariner tiny..or a Patek Pilot Traveller at 42mm tiny?
Originally Posted by Jericho
Had a guy tell me that for every legit Rolex you see, you will encounter 7 or 8 fakes.
Also told me that some of the fakes are pretty darn good.

I dont care what people wear, but If I was offered a used Rolex at a very good price from a private seller,
It would have to first take it to a watch tech. I trusted for internal inspection...not to determine if its fake,
because I can easily do that by removing the caseback hoping to find a 3135 , but to determine mechanical condition.

Originally Posted by westside_benny
Originally Posted by DigitalDan

That's real. It's because of how loud the badass is.

They are badass. Dunno about loud, I hardly notice it ticking anymore. Figure it finally got broke in?
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: Rolex Watch ? - 03/19/17
I've owned several. I don't currently have one. Every one of mine steamed up. That was the big thing about them, that they were waterproof and then that. The wife has two or three. I like upscale watches and have several others that if asked, I'd say were probably better quality. Rolex is a lot like John Deere, getting by on the name.

As to fakes...there are indeed some great ones out there, then there are others that keep better time than the "real" ones. A lot depends on the movement. Rolex used to make some Quartz watches-maybe they still do. A quartz will always outdo a mechanical for accuracy and care-free service. Many fakes are replicas of classic Rolex mechanical watches with the fakes having a quartz movement. Like a typical quartz watch, they are very accurate and worry-free, but the typical Quartz has a "click" to the movement whereas a mechanical is smoother on the second-hand, making these fakes easy to spot. I've never seen a Quartz Rolex faked. The really great fakes of Rolex though, will use something like an IWC movement-which many upscale watches also use. They are very hard to spot unless you open the case.
Posted By: navlav8r Re: Rolex Watch ? - 03/19/17
The most expensive Rolex I've ever seen was in the Rolex store in Singapore circa 1981. IIRC, it was a Submariner style in platinum or white gold and the face of the dial and the bezel were totally covered with teeny, tiny diamonds. I seem to remember it was around $45,000 (again in 1981 dollars). laugh
Posted By: bigfish9684 Re: Rolex Watch ? - 03/19/17
Try a Ulysse Nardin

http://www.jomashop.com/ulysse-nardin-royal-blue-799-80.html

Posted By: Scott F Re: Rolex Watch ? - 03/19/17
My days of watch watching are over. I get up when I feel like it and go to bed when I get tired. It wasn't always this way but retirement came with different standards.
Posted By: AML Re: Rolex Watch ? - 03/19/17
Felt like I was splurging when I paid $100.00 for my Bulova. I had worn the Timex Ironman for years prior to that.
I really like Rolex's but...they are for status seekers who travel in circles where nobody knows anything about watches. Mechanical watch afficionados quickly tire of the Rolex brand as they are common and go with stuff like Omega, Breitling, Tag, etc. Antique guys like Zenith, Baume, etc. Jewelry people like Ulysse, Jaeger LeCoultre and those seeking the ultimate timepiece go with a Patek.
If I want a really accurate reading, I check my mechanical Omega by my phone. lol
You have to hope the stinking phone is charged up though.
Posted By: Leanwolf Re: Rolex Watch ? - 03/19/17
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
" ... and those seeking the ultimate timepiece go with a Patek."

That's what the big boys down at the poolhall tell me. wink

L.W.
Posted By: jorgeI Re: Rolex Watch ? - 03/19/17

Why not have both, I have.... smile
Posted By: battue Re: Rolex Watch ? - 03/19/17
Have had one since 1986. Been on every hunt since then. Has went inside 30plus Deer. 2 Mt Goat hunts. Been part of who knows how many Grouse and Pheasants hunts. Lot of good times have been spent while it ticked away time. Have pissed away more than what it cost in booze. The watch was the better deal.

Finally started to stop, so had it worked on. It will be going when I'm not.
Posted By: Fubarski Re: Rolex Watch ? - 03/19/17
Originally Posted by jorgeI

"Dogs playing pool" doesn't count.
Posted By: T LEE Re: Rolex Watch ? - 03/19/17

God Bless,

Steve

[Linked Image]

My kind of watch Steve, simple and to the point.
Originally Posted by Fubarski

"Dogs playing pool" doesn't count.

I'm sure it looks very nice in your den, I however prefer the poker playing dogs myself.
Posted By: Pugs Re: Rolex Watch ? - 03/19/17
I wear an Omega Speedmaster pretty much every day. It's the watch that went into space with our astronauts and to the moon on every trip. I can't have a cell phone where I work and every time I look at it's a reminder of great things that can be accomplished if we envision a future and work towards it.

I wore this one for 350+ of my carrier landings and at least 1500 of my 2400 Prowler hours .We'll see what I do in retirement but pretty sure it won't involve a cell phone.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: kingston Re: Rolex Watch ? - 03/19/17
The Rolex looks real.

[Linked Image]
What Rolex?
Originally Posted by Pugs
I wear an Omega Speedmaster pretty much every day. It's the watch that went into space with our astronauts and to the moon on every trip. I can't have a cell phone where I work and every time I look at it's a reminder of great things that can be accomplished if we envision a future and work towards it.

I wore this one for 350+ of my carrier landings and at least 1500 of my 2400 Prowler hours .We'll see what I do in retirement but pretty sure it won't involve a cell phone.

[Linked Image]
Please get a decent strap for that Speedmaster. It's a crime to have that thing on it.
I knew you'd have trouble with this one!

laugh

[Linked Image]
Let me know if you're still having trouble spotting it.

[Linked Image]
Please get a decent strap for that Speedmaster. It's a crime to have that thing on it.

I have several NATO straps and like them and periodically swap it out for the stainless one. Variety and all that. This is the bond strap from Specter and I have one from Goldfinger.
Love the Bond strap, I've got one on my Damasko.

[Linked Image]

I have several NATO straps and like them and periodically swap it out for the stainless one. Variety and all that. This is the bond strap from Specter and I have one from Goldfinger.
Stainless all the way. My Omega has Gold and Steel.
Originally Posted by kingston

huh?
Same watch. Different time. Before it went back for cleaning.

[Linked Image]
Pugs, don't yo have TWO of them? smile you still in camp or home?
Much better.

huh?

How about now?

[Linked Image]
Posted By: liliysdad Re: Rolex Watch ? - 03/19/17
Absolutely nothing wrong with a nice watch on a NATO strap..
Posted By: akpls Re: Rolex Watch ? - 03/19/17
I can make my LG smartwatch look like a Rolex today, an Omega tomorrow, a Breitling the next.... a Seiko, a Tag Heuer, or a Casio or Timex too. Even keeps pretty good time!
Posted By: Starman Re: Rolex Watch ? - 03/19/17
The really great fakes of Rolex though, will use something like an IWC movement-which many upscale watches also use.

Fakes don't use an IWC calibre, its more like IWC use the same swiss ETA movement as the higher priced Rolex fakes.
(typically the ETA 2824) or a quality swiss generic version of 2824 like a Sellita SW200....which are the trusted engine
inside many famous name automatic watches across a broad range of prices.(Tag Huer use SW200 extensively)

Rolex owned Tudor use the ETA 2824 , as do Brietling, Mont Blanc, Hublot, etc...and a long host of other trusted names.
Omega use the ETA 2892....the Soprod A-10 caliber found in some watches, is just another swiss version of 2928.

Fakes with automatic movements will use either a genuine swiss ETA, Japanese Miyota or chinese Seagull
or an even cheaper chinese calibre.

like the ETA 2824, the Valjoux 7750, is another swiss movement used by many well know watch brands for their
more complicated chronograph models....again the same swiss 7750 is used in better quality Rolex Daytona fakes,
or theres fakes with cheaper asian chrono mech.movements.
Posted By: Pat85 Re: Rolex Watch ? - 03/19/17
I like the looks of the Oyster Perpetuals.
Ah!
Posted By: Sako Re: Rolex Watch ? - 03/19/17
What else could you buy 20 years ago for 2500 dollars.... Wear everyday... And sell it today and sell it for 5000.... Not much... But I can with my Rolex.... I had a friend buy a orange hand Rolex in the late 80's... For $800.... Sold it for $6000 last year
Posted By: EQFD193 Re: Rolex Watch ? - 03/19/17
I bought a Submariner in 1979 for $760.00 ( have the receipt )...still get compliments when I wear it. Also have a silver and gold Datejust that the wife wears when we go to dinner (looks great on her!!) and a blue face Presidential with a jubilee band. I am way on the plus side with all three if I ever wanted to sell them. I'm with Sako ,buy them smart and NEVER lose $$$.
Originally Posted by Sako
What else could you buy 20 years ago for 2500 dollars.... Wear everyday... And sell it today and sell it for 5000....Not much...

A diamond. ...and a diamond doesn't require the designated periodical serving costs of a Rolex over a 20 yr period,
which can be a number of times and vary in cost, depending on which Rolex one has and what environment they wear it in.

World market price 1.0 carat white round brilliant:
proportions = ideal
color = D
clarity = IF
Cut grade = Ex,
Polish = Ex,
symmetry = Ex
fluorescence = none

yr2000 = $15,100.
yr2016 = $30,925.
Originally Posted by Sako
What else could you buy 20 years ago for 2500 dollars.... Wear everyday... And sell it today and sell it for 5000....Not much...

A diamond. ...and a diamond doesn't require the designated periodical serving costs of a Rolex over a 20 yr period,
which can be a number of times depending on which Rolex one has and what environment they wear it in.

Yea, but they don't keep time for shít.
Posted By: EQFD193 Re: Rolex Watch ? - 03/19/17

A diamond. ...and a diamond doesn't require the designated periodical serving costs of a Rolex over a 20 yr period.
[/quote]

The above in certainly true but I don't wear diamonds and they don't tell time.....Many things we enjoy need service or need to be maintained in one way or another... I'm happy to pay the tariff but certainly understand why some would not.

Yea, but they don't keep time for shít.

Not everyone buys a Rolex for reference to the time, Ive seen people wearing them but looking at their phones for the time.
...A diamond is a better long term less hassle investment if they are only after a prestige status symbol decoration.

Even in a high-end watch store, ask them the time of day as you are perusing an item, and they will often look at the cheap
quartz shop clock they have on the wall or maybe their phone, rather than the $000s worth of watch displayed on their wrist. ..

BTW:

Ive spend a good bit of time in a top end of town central businesss district where the multinational financial giants executives frequent,
as well a nations top shelf highest priced attorneys law offices are also very nearby... I have regularly see them buying their coffee
during the day as I buy mine, or regularly passing me as they go to/from the nearby supreme courts to their law offices and Ive rarely
if ever seen any of those people wearing a Rolex.
In the same immediate area, theres much high rise construction taking place in the billions of dollars in the past few yrs, where you will
see project managers, engineers, big bosses of the large contract companies etc, or even the smaller but still well to do owner/contractors
for all the different services required for the construction..........Im still yet to notice any wearing a Rolex....and the flagship Rolex store
is very much located right near the numeruous big banks executives offices, numerous atttorneys offices and the wealthy construction
types on site.

By far, the most Rolex Ive seen in this area are in the window of the well know nearby used watch dealer....
either on consignment or now owned by the shop...the rest I suspect mostly just stay in the home safe or just
collect dust sitting on the dresser.
How many times have they kicked you out of the Rolex store?
Posted By: EQFD193 Re: Rolex Watch ? - 03/20/17

Now thats funny...and might be true smile!! The End.
Posted By: exbiologist Re: Rolex Watch ? - 03/20/17
Interesting thread here.
Posted By: Pat85 Re: Rolex Watch ? - 03/22/17
All this talk of fine time pieces. Decided to pull the trigger. laugh

[Linked Image]
Posted By: kingston Re: Rolex Watch ? - 03/22/17
Nice!
Posted By: Pugs Re: Rolex Watch ? - 03/22/17
Very nice. I like the face of that model.
Posted By: Starman Re: Rolex Watch ? - 03/22/17

Dumb assumption that I go to Rolex stores... I don't peruse Rolex watches...nothing special about them to warrant it.
but people with little knowledge of horology would struggle to understand that.

Many Rolex owners become so after watching the tennis and always seeing the Rolex sign,
but mostly know fck all else about what they are buying....horology?...whats that?

When Rolex owners prefer to look at their iPhone, what more can anyone say.
Posturing with a lower end high production luxury watch at that...all they need
then is a ditch water common Louis Vuitton handbag for the wife.. wink

You can get very good EDC swiss automatic tool watches for small fraction of the cost of a Rolex tool watch.
then if you want something really worthwhile to pass to a son and/or grandson..there are far better choices
than Rlx without even the need to spend more.

Rolex built its reputation with its Daytona model using chrono movements they didn't make....LOL
60s-80s they used a Valjoux calibre.
80s - 2000 they used a Zenith calibre.
Finally they developed their own in house 4130 cal. and also changed the dials, but many dont care for it,
because they prefer the superficial cosmetics of the old model with the Zenith.
Posted By: toltecgriz Re: Rolex Watch ? - 03/22/17
Check out any bar in Santa Fe N.M. All our hispanic brethren wear them.
Posted By: gonehuntin Re: Rolex Watch ? - 03/22/17
Originally Posted by Pat85

[Linked Image]

The Master Chronometer 8900 movement is Omega's most significant contribution to horology. Congrats on your new Seamaster.

Posted By: westside_benny Re: Rolex Watch ? - 03/22/17

[Linked Image]

Classy watch, keep up on the maintenance or stay out of the water! Reading this thread reminds me of a Rolex I used to have as well, if anyone wants GPS coordinates and has diving gear PM me..it's in Lake Michigan, aprox 120 FOW about 2 miles out from Milwaukee. Anymore my Seiko automatic is my 'good watch'...and them somebeotches are up close to $500 at the PX now too!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: Rolex Watch ? - 03/22/17

[Linked Image]

Congrats on the Seamaster. I think I might buy one myself one of these days. Can't get excited about Rolexes costing a pile of money, when they make a million a year of them.

I seldom wear a watch anymore; either have a cell phone handy or read the display on the computer. But I do still have a couple of nice mechanical watches, when I feel like wearing them, but I like them for being finely crafted tools and machines, not as a status symbol.

The ones that amaze me are some of the Ulysse Nardins. The complications all operating mechanically, are quite astonishing. At one point UN was selling a watch that kept an accurate calendar including leap years for the next 99 years. How you do that with a tiny little mechanism is quite astonishing.

But the most compliments I ever got on a watch were a Fossil, with a bright green face grin If you buy an expensive watch, you'd best plan to wear it because it pleases you, not to impress others.

Posted By: EdM Re: Rolex Watch ? - 03/22/17
When I was first assigned "abroad" in 2004 I learned early that the first thing (maybe second as chasing azz was often the deal) an expat did was buy a Rolex. Most came from places where they were now making multiple times their country pay and, if managed right, paid little income tax. The Rolex was the "achievement" trophy.

I was working in a construction camp in Ras Laffan industrial complex outside of Doha. The camp housed and managed 50K+ workers. Simply amazing. We had a couple of pubs, sort of enlisted or officer. We soon learned the enlisted pub was the place to be. Surprise... My usual group of "weekenders" were UK'ers and Filipinos. During one of many nights out a particular British accounting rep of mine got absolutely sauced. The rest of us convinced him to sell me his Rolex "whatever" for $1K. He agreed and I went to bed with his watch. The following day was hilalious.
On the positive, Rolex dive watches are the only true dive heritage watch, ill grant them that,
once issued to Comex divers, they were used to actually do the job they were designed and manufactured for.

Anyone who has such rare Comex example, can pretend to be a real pro-diver.

Submariners/Sea Dwellers also transition well from the wetsuit to the office suit, they dont look
out of place under a fine cuff.
Posted By: boatboy Re: Rolex Watch ? - 03/22/17
I wear a submariner everyday bought it a bit over thirty years ago I am 52 you can do the math
I spent (not sure on it) and nothing else I spent the $$$ on do I still have
I was married (twice) with it
Held my daughter for the first time walked her down the isle and all in between
Went to Church
I shook many great mens hands and a US President
Touch a couple special Ladys
Killed a few deer and my first Elk
caught some beautiful salmon and a bunch of Marlin and Dorado
Fish with Captian Dan and SSB
held a best friend while dieing
Spend wonderful times with friends and Family
Hugged my sister
shot a Python and a 6.5 for the first time
watched Biazzare Foods and The Godfather
and plenty of other things that make my life worth while

All wearing my raised chrystal Sub (some will know how old that makes it)
I would take a bullet for it its a part of me
and most people have no idea its even a Rolex those that do apreciate it

Fakes are easy to spot watch the second hand

Hank
in the mean time I bought a two tone Datejust
its nice but just a watch my Sub is part of me

Posted By: duck911 Re: Rolex Watch ? - 03/22/17
I don't understand the allure of Rolex watches - unreasonably expensive (to me), they keep poor time, and I've actually never seen one I like the looks of. They all look gaudy to me. Just my opinion.

That said, I would not disparage anyone who wants one or buys one - doesn't make a difference in my little world so have at it, if it makes you happy!

I don't wear a watch, but if I did it would be something that looks like the Breitling Navitimer 01 but costs 90% less. Black leather strap please! I think this watch looks rugged but classy:

Navitimer 01
Posted By: gonehuntin Re: Rolex Watch ? - 03/22/17
Some Rolex history for the Rolex aficianodo's, 7 page article:

http://www.watchtime.com/blog/watch...x-chronometers-and-rolex-oyster-watches/
Posted By: djs Re: Rolex Watch ? - 03/22/17
I have 2 Omegas (Speed Master Mk IV and Constellation) but I rarely wear them. Every 7-10 years I have to send them to Switzerland for overhaul ($1,100 incl. shipping). Rather, I wear a cheap digital I buy from Walmart for less then $20; if it loose or break it, not big deal. These cheap watches are accurate and reliable.
Posted By: FoxTrotter Re: Rolex Watch ? - 03/22/17
I agree with boatboy. A long,long,time ago I was a sales rep in Mich that dealt with customers that bought,sold,traded and used Rolex's, Brownings,and Leica cameras. Back about 1972 I traded an older Leica camera for a gold and stainless Rolex datejust. I have worn it everyday since then. It's been all over this great country and it's on my wrist as I write this.
Some things are just classics no matter what they cost. Pre 64 Win. Parkers, Sweet Elsie's, 99's, Colt Woodsmans,rangefinder Leicas,and Rolex's.
Rolex send their movements to COSC to be independently certified, they need to be within (-4/+6) in 5 positions to receive a cert.
hence why the dial says 'Superlative chronometer officially certified'..( superlative, officially and certified, only being marketing words)
All Breiltlings are now COSC , even some Tissots are COSC.

If you have a $500 uncert. automatic , you can send it to COSC with I think US$250+? for the same test & cert Rolex obtains.

When you have your Rolex cal. pulled apart for a major overhaul , technicians needs to check if it has kept COSC specs,
and will adjust and test it for the required number of days accordingly. Which means they could do the same in-house after
manufacture. - No real need to send it to COSC....OMEGA does its own in-house cert. which typically exceeds COSC std.

Many automatics on the market that are not certified in anyway, can still be within COSC, or made so through simple regulation.
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: Rolex Watch ? - 03/22/17
The problem with Navitimers is they are too big and too busy. The best Rolex's were the older ones that are antiques now.
Posted By: Pat85 Re: Rolex Watch ? - 03/23/17
Very nice. I like the face of that model.

It is neat how the face looks like tongue and groove planks on a ship.
Posted By: jorgeI Re: Rolex Watch ? - 03/23/17
[

Negative. I have one of the first 'El Primero's' from Zenith from 1971 and Rolex used them back then. Spanish side of the family had the concession for Spain so I am well versed.
Posted By: Lorin Re: Rolex Watch ? - 03/23/17
Rolex does maintain its value over time. Ive managed to acquire a few watches over the years, at one time I had 9 in rotation. I am now down to 3. A 15 year old Omega Seamaster (was my first watch and still my favorite). A breitling headwind (day-date), and a luminox (my "beater). I dont do it for the recognition. To be fair, the more common comment I hear regarding Rolex watches is that either they are "fake." Or that someone bought it just to impress. You can tell a fake as mentioned above (look for the sweeping second hand). All that said, I like and wear my Seamaster 5 of 7 days anymore. I work in computers for a living, and do carry an I phone. I refuse to wear the new "smart" watches. I have too much technology in my life already. Wearing a mechanical, or an automatic watch, gives me a certain amount of pride. Something so intricate, and still very accurate is pretty neat. I recognize nice watches when I see them, but rarely mention it. The pleasure of wearing a nice timepiece means different things to each.
Posted By: JoeBob Re: Rolex Watch ? - 03/23/17
It is worth noting that there is a difference between a fake Rolex and Rolex homage watch. Many of the homage or Rolex inspired watches are very fine watches in and of themselves.
Posted By: byc Re: Rolex Watch ? - 03/23/17

huh?

How about now?

[Linked Image]

LMAO!! TFF....

Thanks!
Posted By: Starman Re: Rolex Watch ? - 03/23/17

Negative. I have one of the first 'El Primero's' from Zenith from 1971 and Rolex used them back then.
Spanish side of the family had the concession for Spain so I am well versed.

Daytonas in 71' and for some yrs either side, have the Valjoux 72 series chronograph movement.
Maybe you can point out which exact model/case/dial/bezel you have from this guide:

http://www.vintagedaytona.com/en/reference-guide

or here >>
History of the Daytona cronograph:

http://www.timeandwatches.com/p/history-of-rolex-cosmograph-daytona.html

1987- Valjoux 72 was discontinued in Daytonas,
1988 - Rolex released the Daytona with Zenith El Primero 4030.
2000- Daytona gets an in-house 4130
Posted By: achildofthesky Re: Rolex Watch ? - 03/28/17
I LOVE the mechanical wizardry in self winding movements, it takes me down the rabbit hole of complications. But I steadfastly refuse to spend dosh on something that ultimately is counting down the minutes and hours to my demise. Have my Mom's midsize Timex and my Dads old wind up Gruen wwII era for shiny stuff. Iphone + all the other crap like computers when online are plenty. Just my thoughts... My other half is flat ate up with nice time pieces. Priorities, preferences and points of view I suppose.

If one is so inclined for a Rolex, X shop Tag-Heuer, Omega and Breitling. All are high quality, lovely works of hourlogical art as is a Rolex.

essere sicuro

Elena
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Rolex Watch ? - 03/30/17
I'm a watch guy, so I have dozens of them.

My good watch is a Jaeger-Lacoultre Grand Reverso in 18K yellow gold that my Wife gave to me for my 40th birthday. I think that she got a good deal on it at Borsheims in Omaha. My first Wife gave me a Rolex as a wedding gift and I gave it back to her when we got divorced. That gave me a bad taste for Rolex watches.

My daily wear watches are mostly Bertucci A-2Ts, I think that I have a dozen of them hanging in the closet.

Since I discovered Bertucci watches, I have given a couple dozen of the A-1S, A-2S, and M-1S styles as gifts to Eagle Scouts in my Son's Troop and as high school graduation gifts.
Posted By: Longbob Re: Rolex Watch ? - 03/30/17
Never heard of Bertucci watches, but I like the classic looks and price of them a lot. Thanks for the lead.
Posted By: liliysdad Re: Rolex Watch ? - 03/30/17
This website led me down the Bertucci hole...

Check out the refurbished watches they sell...
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Rolex Watch ? - 03/30/17
Originally Posted by Longbob
Never heard of Bertucci watches, but I like the classic looks and price of them a lot. Thanks for the lead.

I bought most of mine via eBay or the bargain bin and certified pre-owned options on the Bertucci site. The A-2Ts are noticeably lighter than the A-2S. My Wife particularly likes that they have solid lugs, so that she can use ribbon bands in a variety of colors. The Bertucci bands are very expensive and better quality than the $2 Chinese bands, but the Chinese bands come in dozens of different colors. When she left, I gave our 2015/16 exchange student an M-1S with extra Chinese ribbon bands in the colors of the Austrian, British, French, German, Italian, Spanish, and Swiss flags.
Posted By: 222Rem Re: Rolex Watch ? - 03/30/17
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
I'm a watch guy, so I have dozens of them.

My daily wear watches are mostly Bertucci A-2Ts, I think that I have a dozen of them hanging in the closet.

Since I discovered Bertucci watches, I have given a couple dozen of the A-1S, A-2S, and M-1S styles as gifts to Eagle Scouts in my Son's Troop and as high school graduation gifts.

I've had my eye on Bertucci field watches and felt their pull. I'm saving for a couple more Seiko auto divers first, but there's an A-2T in my future.
Posted By: kingston Re: Rolex Watch ? - 03/30/17
Damasko
Posted By: Bwana_1 Re: Rolex Watch ? - 03/30/17
Damasko

There's an under rated brand, I have 3 Damaskos and they're bullet proof in toughness and quality. Their stem design and ice hardened case make for a great outdoor watch, 1 of the few 100m rated watches I swim with.
Posted By: Starman Re: Rolex Watch ? - 03/30/17
The two below German companies make high grade watch cases and complete watches
for various lesser known good value priced , but quality ETA swiss movement based brands.

http://www.w-fricker.de/englisch/full_service.html

http://www.ickler.de/en/home/

ICKLER ARCHIMEDE: $800 (excluding tax)
http://www.perfectionwatches.com/si...tches---ARCHIMEDE-Watch-Collection_4.jpg

FRICKER- Muhle Glashutte: Ti case $3000 +
http://www.ablogtowatch.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Muhle-glashutte-seebataillon-gmt-5.jpg
Posted By: kingston Re: Rolex Watch ? - 03/30/17
Originally Posted by Bwana_1
Damasko

There's an under rated brand, I have 3 Damaskos and they're bullet proof in toughness and quality. Their stem design and ice hardened case make for a great outdoor watch, 1 of the few 100m rated watches I swim with.

The cases are indestructible. I have an early DA36. It's a new classic.

Posted By: Starman Re: Rolex Watch ? - 03/30/17
Sinn tegimented case watches look strikingly similar to Damasko.

The Sinn has a different type of hardening, also has a higher grade swiss movement,
copper sulfate capsule and argon gas filled case, proprietary lubricants and Viton gaskets.
which can matter to some and not matter much to others.

Sinn is Tegimented steel vs Damasko Ice Hardened steel, The Damasko crown decouples
from the crown tube during screwing, Sinn has no lube cell.

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f8/sinn-856-non-utc-vs-damasko-da36-best-1002673.html
Posted By: hanco Re: Rolex Watch ? - 03/31/17
Phone are making watches obsolete.
Posted By: Pat85 Re: Rolex Watch ? - 03/31/17
Originally Posted by hanco
Phone are making watches obsolete.

I highly doubt cellphones have an impact on the Rolex market.
Posted By: Bwana_1 Re: Rolex Watch ? - 03/31/17
Damasko

Yes I have an early DA36 also, with the purple anti-reflective coating...before they switched to clear. I have the DA45(bezel ring, full lume dial) & DC56 chrono also, great watches at their price point.

I collect mainly German and Swiss, far too many to list...but do have 2 Sinn's, and other than the bracelets are solid pieces too.
Posted By: JoeBob Re: Rolex Watch ? - 03/31/17
Not really appreciated in the US because they are mostly known for cheap quartz watches is Seiko. They Seiko 5s are really good values for mechanical watches. They have some slightly more upscale mechanicals that are every bit the equal and usually better than the lower to midrange Swiss and German watches. And the Grand Seiko mechanicals cost as much and are the equal of Rolex.

Many of these watches are only available in Japan and the Far East but with the internet, you can get them shipped to your door.
Posted By: Techsan Re: Rolex Watch ? - 03/31/17
Just ordered a Seiko black and orange dial 200M, which I believe is in the Seiko line that replaced the Orange Monster line.
Seiko 5 series ?
The only thing I miss in the Seiko 5s is a sapphire crystal. I don't care about hacking and all that but a tougher crystal would be nice.
Posted By: tzone Re: Rolex Watch ? - 03/31/17
I have a Timex Ironman my sister gave me for my birthday about 15 years ago. F'r still keeps time. The only time I wear a watch now is when I'm hunting.
Posted By: Theeck Re: Rolex Watch ? - 03/31/17

I feel the same way. I think it is neat that such a small, sophisticated machine can be made but I have no interest in owning one. I have an old self-winding Omega that was given to me. It doesn't keep time well at all compared to a $100 digital watch. My cell phone is my watch.
For all you "My cell phone has a clock" guys, congratulations, you have reinvented the pocket watch.
Posted By: 458 Lott Re: Rolex Watch ? - 03/31/17
This website led me down the Bertucci hole...

Check out the refurbished watches they sell...

Me too. My wife had gotten me a few inexpensive watches over the years and they ended up crapping out, so I just figured I'm carrying this stupid phone, no need for a watch. Well I got a Bertucci last year and I've been very happy with it. I'm going to be taking a job where I can't carry a cell phone (electrically classified area) so I can appreciate there are places where if you want to keep track of time, you need a watch.
Posted By: Raeford Re: Rolex Watch ? - 03/31/17
I will wear my fathers Bulova Accutron and be plenty happy with it[when I wear a watch].
Posted By: pak Re: Rolex Watch ? - 03/31/17
I have a Ball Streamliner non chronograph. I bought a Ball because they use tritium gas tubes for illumination rather than paint. It is very bright in the dark. Pros for mechanical watches: they are generally classy and well made. Cons: heavy, not as accurate as quartz or electronic, not as shock resistant as other watches and more expensive. I wear a watch all the time and cannot baby a watch such as taking it off when I'm chopping wood. My current daily watch is a Tag Heuer quartz I've been wearing since '96. I wore out the original stainless band and replaced it with an after market band which has lasted a surprising amount of time. Standards are different for different types of watches. For accuracy the electronic watches are first then quartz followed by mechanical.
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Rolex Watch ? - 03/31/17
Originally Posted by Raeford
I will wear my fathers Bulova Accutron and be plenty happy with it[when I wear a watch].

I occasionally wear my Father's 1940's vintage Hamilton Barton, but never anywhere that I might be mugged/robbed, as it has a lot of sentimental value to me.
Posted By: bigfish9684 Re: Rolex Watch ? - 03/31/17

I occasionally wear my Father's 1940's vintage Hamilton Barton, but never anywhere that I might be mugged/robbed, as it has a lot of sentimental value to me.

My grandfather had a Hamilton Emerson form the 40's that was stolen. Hamilton re-released the Emerson as a ltd. edition in '86 and my grandfather, dad and uncle all bought one. I now have my grandfather's and got a new band and a new crystal.
Originally Posted by bigfish9684

My grandfather had a Hamilton Emerson form the 40's that was stolen. Hamilton re-released the Emerson as a ltd. edition in '86 and my grandfather, dad and uncle all bought one. I now have my grandfather's and got a new band and a new crystal.

Hamilton being the last great American watchmaker, to fight off the Swiss and Asian tide of competition...finally gobbled up by Swatch. Made some fine pieces, with a great reputation for quality and service.

Hamilton being the last great American watchmaker, to fight off the Swiss and Asian tide of competition...finally gobbled up by Swatch. Made some fine pieces, with a great reputation for quality and service.

The back of my Father's watch is engraved in script:

"His Name"
"Major - USMCR"
"12 September 1947"
The Mondaine Swiss Railroad Watches are OK too.

www.mondaine-usa.com
Posted By: There_Ya_Go Re: Rolex Watch ? - 03/31/17
I have my dad's Girard Perregaux, don't recall the model. I suspect, but don't know, his parents gave it to him as a graduation gift. Never saw it worn, found it among his belongings after he died. I haven't worn it either, I'm a timex kind of guy.

The back of my Father's watch is engraved in script:

"His Name"
"Major - USMCR"
"12 September 1947"

Then your fathers was still a US based piece, appears they stopped mfg'n here in 69...I know reports are still good on their service, and very reasonable rates for repairs.

I have a rare Khaki Navy w/blue dial, inner bezel w/2nd crown.
Posted By: michiganroadkill Re: Rolex Watch ? - 03/31/17
I purchased a Rolex Submariner in 1969 because I wanted a watch that would work and survive in Viet Nam. I still have that watch and wear it daily. I don't think I am impressing or trying to impress anyone wearing it in all hunting, fishing and outdoor activities and social activities also.
I am impressed with it handling jungle, salt water, rocky mountains, and a zillion other happenings with out missing a beat.
I have had to replace the crystal and stem (I over twisted it) and two years ago I replaced all the internal moving parts as they had worn themselves nearly out. So she is back to new.
I am impressed with it as a product and tool.
I also keep a Timex Indiglo that gets worn some, but they have to be replaced every once in a while. But they also give you their monies worth.
At todays prices, I would only buy a Rolex if I were to be in the military and wanted to make sure I didn't miss the pick up chopper at zero three hundred.
I do not have smart phone to tell me the last time I took a crap.
jmho
Tim
PS: I was recently offer seven times what I paid for that watch.
Posted By: Starman Re: Rolex Watch ? - 03/31/17
Whats in a name..?

Rolex owned: Tudor titanium 'Pelagos' 500m dive watch 42MM
Ti grade 5
calibre- ETA 2824 calibre. Top Grade
ceramic bezel insert, sapphire glass non-AR
Lug width: 20 mm
weight approx 105 grams.
retail approx $4500 + tax
Warranty: 2 yrs transferable.
Servicing costs: - as per Rolex service centres.
IMAGE: http://img15.hostingpics.net/pics/693045PELAGOS.jpg

Steinhart 'Ocean 1' titanium 500M dive watch 42MM
Ti grade 5
calibre- Soprod A-10 Top Grade or ETA 2928 Top Grade as used by Omega
ceramic bezel insert, sapphire glass- double AR coated
Lug width: 22m
weight approx 80 grams.
retail approx $500 + tax
Warranty: 2 yrs fully transferable in that period
14 day right of return apon purchase.
Servicing costs: as per ones trusted reputable service Co.
(typically significantly less than Rolex.)
IMAGE: https://d2xngy2dw7hums.cloudfront.n...nium_500_premium_1468092046_517a7cf2.jpg

Note:
Mk1 Pelagos had ETA and no COSC cert.
MkII has in-house calibre with COSC.

Steinhart are not COSC, but owners talk of their watches being well within or way better than COSC.
those examples that are not, can be regulated to be so.

Mk1 Ocean 1 had Soprod A-10,
Mk2 has 2928-2...(essentially A-10/2928 are the same swiss movement)

BOTH WATCHES SIDE x SIDE:

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160527/81611d274ef1eb3240110967486bfd05.jpg

Posted By: kingston Re: Rolex Watch ? - 03/31/17
Then there's the real thing.

[Linked Image]

Vs.

[Linked Image]
Correct Kingston,
Rolex and Tudor aren't in the same league,,,much less Steinhart.
Damasko

Yes I have an early DA36 also, with the purple anti-reflective coating...before they switched to clear. I have the DA45(bezel ring, full lume dial) & DC56 chrono also, great watches at their price point.

I collect mainly German and Swiss, far too many to list...but do have 2 Sinn's, and other than the bracelets are solid pieces too.

This was worn every day for several years on construction sites, working on heavy equipment, while building and fabricating all kinds of stuff, saltwater fishing, hunting, etc. It's on it's fifth strap.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Starman Re: Rolex Watch ? - 03/31/17
Correct Kingston,

Yet Rolex are proud to be associated with Tudor.
So I wonder what Rolex thinks of the Tudors they own, make, sell, warrant and service?

btw: What does the Steinhart lack in horological terms and performance ?

This is where the Rolex twats get tide in a knot... laugh

LOL.....they are all just real dive watches (vs) real dive watches.

but some people like to imagine more than what really is.

I'm wondering now, do you drive a car thats the 'real thing' vs not the real thing?
Correct Kingston,

So I wonder what Rolex thinks of the Tudors they own, make, sell, warrant and service?

I'm not going to debate horological fine points with you, obviously your views are already established.

But the reality is: Steinhart makes it's living on copying the overall style of iconic pieces, and certainly doesn't add any innovative designs or features to the market. Every model they make the concept is stolen from IWC/Rolex/Omega, all the way down to the dial and hand style. Not 1 watch isn't fashioned after a SD, SMP, or Mark x,,,if a knock-off is what you're after, you could do worse.

Their fit and finish is lacking, quality of bezel and case are sub-par, clasp and bracelet are clunky. For the price point a reasonable watch aimed at the WIS world, for the average consumer has never heard of them. Considering they are a new company, with no history or classic designs of their own...they managed to find a hole in Germany to produce fairly priced watch pieces, for a moderately manufactured product.

At the end of the day they have no history, designs, or refinement as a maker.

Tudor is not a fake anything. They are owned by Rolex and they started as Rolex designed and manufactured bodies with off the shelf Swiss movements like ETA. Now, they are offering in house movements as well. The Tudor Pelagos is probably the finest tool watch there is today, especially when you consider the price.

In many respects bad mouthing Tudor while extolling Rolex is like a guy with a Weatherby Vanguard looking down his nose at a guy with a Howa. Rolex of course, goes a lot higher into the high end stuff than Tudor, but in comparable watches Tudor is a good as a Rolex.

And why would you compare a $400 Steinhart with a $4,000.00 Tudor.
Correct Kingston,

LOL.....they are all just real dive watches (vs) real dive watches.

but some people like to imagine more than what really is.

I'm wondering now, do you drive a car thats the 'real thing' vs not the real thing?

[Linked Image]
Posted By: EdM Re: Rolex Watch ? - 03/31/17
Damasko

This was worn every day for several years on construction sites, working on heavy equipment, while building and fabricating all kinds of stuff, saltwater fishing, hunting, etc. It's on it's fifth strap.

[Linked Image]

I survived with a pager or mobile phone for my thirty year career. Sometimes in pretty heavy construction. I own three watches, all received as gifts for a job well done. They reside in a drawer in my bedroom. smile

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Now that you're retired you shouldn't GAF what time it is.

Posted By: Barkoff Re: Rolex Watch ? - 03/31/17
I know two guys with Rolexs, my $250 Seiko dive watch keeps better time.
Posted By: mrmarklin Re: Rolex Watch ? - 04/01/17
Anyone here have a Rolex ? What made you want one ? I've been looking for a while, they seem to be a good investment.

For those who appreciate fine timepieces, I believe Rolex is the best of the bunch. Their economies of scale have enabled them to refine the movements over the years to astonishing accuracy and utility for a mechanical watch.

They are not a typical investment and I wouldn't buy them as such. But they will last more than a lifetime.

They require periodic maintenance, like any mechanism to stay at their best.
As fine watches go, pricing is middle of the pack. One could go eith Patek Phillipe, for example, but IMHO one does not obtain a better movement.
Posted By: Dave_Skinner Re: Rolex Watch ? - 04/01/17
This is a fun thread.
Yes, you should buy a watch if you LIKE it.
I just buy stainless Seikos and Citizens with the RR railroad approved face. If they keep time, I keep them. Right now I have three that are two-second a month accurate, which is what I LIKE.
Posted By: Starman Re: Rolex Watch ? - 04/01/17

I'm not going to debate horological fine points with you,

Yep, its easy to just makes claims you can't back up.

Every model they make the concept is stolen from IWC/Rolex/Omega,

has Rolex, IWC ,Omega, registered a claim that Steinhart have 'stolen' anything?

Steinhart makes it's living on copying the overall style of iconic pieces,

The pre64 M70 is an icon with cult following, loved & praised by many, yet it copied the M98 so much
that MauserWerke won a patent court battle and damages....so why the grudge against things like Steinhart or Tudor?

and certainly doesn't add any innovative designs or features to the market

For a swiss automatic tool watch there is sufficient existing innovation & practical functional design,
-What does Rolex offer that makes it a better tool watch?

in time keeping Steinhart can often surpasss the Rolex COSC.....so whats not to like and appreciate?

Their fit and finish is lacking, quality of bezel and case are sub-par, clasp and bracelet are clunky.

you will comment on cosmetics like final finish of a $500 watch vs $8000 Submariner , but not on its horology
or functional performance...you are true to form for a Rolex 'bling' tosser.

Originally Posted by JoeBob
Tudor is not a fake anything. ...
...In many respects bad mouthing Tudor while extolling Rolex is like a guy with a Weatherby Vanguard looking down his nose at a guy with a Howa.

Yeh , but some people feel obligated to justify their wannabe pretentious existence.

Rlx dive and Tudor dive watches are made under the same roof- dials and cases are made by the same workers, designers, and machines
that make Rolex cases and dials.

Because both brands can have a ETA elaborate grade movement, 500m depth rating , TI case, sapphire, etc
nobody seems game to explain whats so technically inferior about Steinhart.

https://www.watchitallabout.com/steinhart-ocean-titanium-500-premium-watch-review/

Posted By: Pat85 Re: Rolex Watch ? - 04/02/17
Correct Kingston,

I noticed Rolex only guarantee their Tudor line for 2 years international. Their flagship line for 5 years. Curious as to why if its the same watch?
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Rolex Watch ? - 04/02/17
Funny Rolex story.

When my Wife first went to work for Armour Meats back in the early 1990's, one of her jobs as a budget analyst was to identify potential fraud and report it up the chain of command. One line item that she looked into was called "The President's Award" which she assumed was an annual award given to an employee by the President of Armour for outstanding performance. When it came time to spend the budgeted money for the award, she was surprised when the administrative assistant for the president of Armour turned in an $8,000 receipt for a Rolex watch. When she looked into it, she found that the "President's Award" was just a backdoor way for the president to supplement his income without anyone noticing.
Posted By: mrmarklin Re: Rolex Watch ? - 04/02/17
Correct Kingston,

I noticed Rolex only guarantee their Tudor line for 2 years international. Their flagship line for 5 years. Curious as to why if its the same watch?

it's not the same watch. Traditionally, Tudor has been Rolex' budget line.
Posted By: BayouRover Re: Rolex Watch ? - 04/02/17
Starman seems to be truly miffed that he doesn't own a real Rolex.
Posted By: Bwana_1 Re: Rolex Watch ? - 04/02/17
Originally Posted by BayouRover
Starman seems to be truly miffed that he doesn't own a real Rolex.

Exactly, "my Ford Focus is every bit as good as your BMW X6, you wasted your money"..."why do the hot chicks always pick ugly dudes ?" laugh

Posted By: DocRocket Re: Rolex Watch ? - 04/03/17

In many respects bad mouthing Tudor while extolling Rolex is like a guy with a Weatherby Vanguard looking down his nose at a guy with a Howa. Rolex of course, goes a lot higher into the high end stuff than Tudor, but in comparable watches Tudor is a good as a Rolex.

Indeed. Guys who scoff at the Rolex but have wet dreams about a particular rifle or knife or sports car seem awfully myopic to me. I know a guy who will argue with a tradesman over a $1500 flooring bill but will drop 2 grand on a hooker without blinking.

Oh, well. I'd like a Rolex Submariner, and I might buy one some day, because I appreciate the aesthetics and the rugged functionality of the watch. I'd also like a Rigby double rifle, again because of the ethics and functionality. Do I need either one? Of course not! But if I can afford either item, choose to buy it, I will do so to please myself, not to impress anybody else.
Posted By: navlav8r Re: Rolex Watch ? - 04/03/17
If you're going to buy either one, go on and do it. They're not getting any less expensive. smile
Posted By: exbiologist Re: Rolex Watch ? - 04/03/17

The pre64 M70 is an icon with cult following, loved & praised by many, yet it copied the M98 so much
that MauserWerke won a patent court battle and damages....so why the grudge against things like Steinhart or Tudor?

I don't think that's correct. Mauser sued Springfield
Posted By: Redneck Re: Rolex Watch ? - 04/03/17
For all you "My cell phone has a clock" guys, congratulations, you have reinvented the pocket watch.
laugh laugh

Good point!

Just observing people in various places, I rarely see a person wearing a watch unless that person is rather elderly. Everybody else just pokes at their 'smart phone'..

Sad, really..
Posted By: BayouRover Re: Rolex Watch ? - 04/03/17
Originally Posted by exbiologist

This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ The Model 70 was not in the feud.
Posted By: westside_benny Re: Rolex Watch ? - 04/03/17
Originally Posted by navlav8r
If you're going to buy either one, go on and do it. They're not getting any less expensive. smile

Well that is ONE undisputable statement in this thread!
Posted By: JoeBob Re: Rolex Watch ? - 04/03/17
My next watch is an Omega Speedmaster Moon Watch
Posted By: Starman Re: Rolex Watch ? - 04/03/17

I noticed Rolex only guarantee their Tudor line for 2 years international.
Their flagship line for 5 years. Curious as to why if its the same watch?

Rolex only recently began the 5 yr warranty, (1st July 2015) prior it was 2 yr.

Tudor now has the warranty period that several million Rolex owners got for many yrs.

Breitling offer 5 yrs on their in-house calibre watches.
So Rolex are saying they are no better than a Brietling...?.. smile

Originally Posted by exbiologist

Ops! my mix up... I should have said Winchester 'stole' design ideas from Mauser,
but only Springfield got sued for doing the same.
Posted By: kingston Re: Rolex Watch ? - 04/03/17
Originally Posted by navlav8r

Well that is ONE undisputable statement in this thread!

Just wait.... lol

I noticed Rolex only guarantee their Tudor line for 2 years international.
Their flagship line for 5 years. Curious as to why if its the same watch?

Rolex only recently began the 5 yr warranty, (1st July 2015) prior it was 2 yr.

Tudor now has the warranty period that several million Rolex owners got for many yrs.

So, when are you going to post some pictures of your watches?
Right after you tell us what a Tudor and Steinhart lack in horology and user performance terms vs a Rolex.

Rolex groupies are like christians , they don't need logical rational evidence , they are content to just
believe their own self contrived fantasies....A fools paradise is better than no paradise at all for some.

Posted By: dogzapper Re: Rolex Watch ? - 04/03/17

Cutting 'n pasting is a wonderful thing for the internet geniuses like some here. There are spaces in their sentences when they drop them.

Look for that and you'll figger out who does that. Possibly, it is the main nay-sayer of this thread.

Hilarious, actually. And Sad.

God Bless,

Steve

PS. One day, I had a young man show up at our store. He was going to the Congo, or some place like that. He signed on for a ten-year hitch for something (maybe a missionary, or some such).

Anyway, he asked for the finest watch he could buy that didn't a silly battery. Something that was impossible to buy or have installed in-country.

His request was that he wanted to walk in my store after ten years with a smile on his face.

I strapped a Rolex Submariner on his wrist, he paid me and he left.

Fully ten years later, he walked in my store with one Hell of a smile on his face.

The Rolex worked ... and superbly.

Yes, some folks buy a Rolex for the wrong reasons (elitism and BS like that), but the rest of us buy Rolex watches because the frickin' work, no matter what.

Have fun with that ... but, it is the truth.

By the way, I HATED working with Rolex International. They made demands that should never have been made of a retailer (like carrying the POS Tudor brand). BUT, as a watch, Rolexes were, and are, absolutely superb.

Count me as a hater of their demands, but a lover of the Rolex watch.

Yep, the internet warriors will flame me for stating the truth. Trust me, their on-the-ground knowledge is lacking. grin

I'm out of here.

PS. One day, I had a young man show up at our store...
... as a watch, Rolexes were, and are, absolutely superb...
...Yep, the internet warriors will flame me for stating the truth. Trust me,

A salesman says 'trust me I'm a salesman'...

question still stands:

In horological terms, what makes Rolex a superb watch? (salesman smoke & mirrors aside)

SUPERB , adjective.
-excellent, superlative, first-rate, first-class, superior, supreme, outstanding, remarkable, dazzling, marvellous, magnificent,
wonderful, splendid, admirable, noteworthy, impressive, fine, exquisite, exceptional, glorious, sublime, perfect, of the first order,
fantastic, fabulous, stellar, terrific, super, supercalifragilisticexpialidocious, awesome.
I don't think you even own a mechanical watch. Did they get tired of you over at watchuseek and timezone?
Posted By: westside_benny Re: Rolex Watch ? - 04/03/17
Right after you tell us what a Tudor and Steinhart lack in horology and user performance terms vs a Rolex.

Rolex groupies are like christians , they don't need logical rational evidence , they are content to just
believe their own self contrived fantasies....A fools paradise is better than no paradise at all for some.

Outside of this thread the scant few (5-10 gents) I know that wear a Rolex have never uttered the term 'horolgy', I might ask next 'time' we're in the duck blind. I'm not sure a Rolex is strictly about things 'hor-logical'..see what I did there?

I'm not sure a Rolex is strictly about things 'hor-logical'..

nobody has said it was 'strictly' about 'hor-logical'...
but knowing horology stds. helps compare product value and performance...its only logical man.

I don't think you even own a mechanical watch.

Feel free to conjure any beliefs you want , just like I don't think your fantasy God or Jesus waiting in the clouds exists either.

I Did they get tired of you over at watchuseek and timezone?

Your feeble christian mind has blown a fuse again,... Im not a member!...lol..
why is it you cant stop imagining things?....your problem may be treatable.

your irrational mind carries over to all parts of your life it seems...sad.

I'm not sure a Rolex is strictly about things 'hor-logical'..

nobody has said it was 'strictly' about 'hor-logical'...
but knowing horology stds. helps compare product value and performance...its only logical man.

I don't think you even own a mechanical watch.

Feel free to conjure any beliefs you want , just like I don't think your fantasy God or Jesus waiting in the clouds exists either.

I Did they get tired of you over at watchuseek and timezone?

Your feeble christian mind has blown a fuse again,... Im not of a member of those!..lol..
why is it you cant stop imaging things?..your chronic problem may be treatable.

You're quite the renaissance man, from Horology to Psychiatry, Theology and Epistemology.
Posted By: Bwana_1 Re: Rolex Watch ? - 04/03/17
I don't think you even own a mechanical watch. Did they get tired of you over at watchuseek and timezone?

I'm an active member at WUS, DWC, IWL, and a few other watch sites. I enjoy learning and seeing new watches hit the market, I have a large revolving collection. Generally I don't waste my time with copy/paste wantabes that insult people for conversation, and are butthurt someone might have more money than them.
Posted By: bigfish9684 Re: Rolex Watch ? - 04/03/17
Hot damn I made someone's sig line. That was... painful to admit.
Good to see you two are working it out. LOL!
Hot damn I made someone's sig line. That was... painful to admit.

Seems to be going around grin Appreciate the recognition tho, I'm not as much of an azzwipe as you think.

Good to see you two are working it out. LOL!

It's a damm lovefest around here laugh
Generally I don't waste my time with copy/paste wantabes that insult people for conversation,
and are butthurt someone might have more money than them.

A big shot with all that money you like to brag about , but still insecure because you feel insulted.
just a fragile shell of a man decorated with bling.... reconfirmed what a precious & pretentious twat you are.

BTW: Rolex starting at $5000, is no measure of great wealth, ludicrous to think it is.
but you are entitled to keep your self delusion...i doubt you could cope without it.

I don't waste my time with copy/paste wantabes

Posting links to watch reviews upsets you?...truely bizzare.
what about links to car reviews, tool reviews or scope reviews, do they upset you too?

I'm an active member at WUS, DWC, IWL, and a few other watch sites. I enjoy learning and seeing new watches hit the market,

Even from the members that cut and paste info. into the Watch forums you belong to?
...or do you abuse them for it?

You either need some meds or you are taking the wrong ones.
Nothing you say upsets me, I consider the source and snicker at immature Starfish like you.
Nothing you say upsets me,

Oh but it clearly has!...you told us you were insulted.
Insulted because people question your Rolex bias waffle.

I don't waste my time with copy/paste wantabes that insult people for conversation,

I actually don't mind the Rolex product, but I consider them rather overpriced for what the Co. offers.
theres no need for some Rolex owners/and non-owners to put other peoples choices down just to prop
their own preference up.Especially when Rolex itself is not positioned in the top most respected echelon
of luxurywatch making....but a schit load spend on tactile high profile Tier-1 sport associated marketing -
(F1, tennis, sailing, Olympics) makes many mistakenly think they are.

All those top level professional sports with Rolex signs everywhere, use official electronic timers not Rolex chronometers.

Anyone who considers Rolex a 'superb' watch, doesn't really know the world of grand mechanical watches,
better to save that spin for the salesroom and unsuspecting customers.
Posted By: jorgeI Re: Rolex Watch ? - 04/04/17
My dad paid 750 bucks for my Rolex GMT Master in 1980 when I got my wings. Today, the same watch sells for over 5-6K used. Been on my wrist since then with periodic ~5 year rehabs at the factory. Keeps superb time over a 30 year Navy/flying career, hunts all over the place and just plain every day use. By any valid measure of effectiveness, that qualifies as a "superb" watch. As I posted earlier, I too have one of the first Zenith's "El Primero" from 1971. High Maintenance. Beautiful watch, but it's been in my safe since I got the Rolex
Posted By: Pat85 Re: Rolex Watch ? - 04/04/17
My dad paid 750 bucks for my Rolex GMT Master in 1980 when I got my wings. Today, the same watch sells for over 5-6K used.

Not a bad investment for something that ticked off over a billion seconds so far.

Posted By: JoeBob Re: Rolex Watch ? - 04/04/17
Rolex is a good watch...maybe even though the best of the cheap luxury watches. It occupies the Leupold slot in the watch world. That said, like scopes there are lots and lots of watches that offer 95% or more of the performance for a third or less of the price.

And in watches, unlike scopes, no matter what you say all the nice mechanical watches are vanity items when a $100 quartz Seiko will keep damn near perfect time for what is for all intents and purposes forever. It isn't about accuracy, reliability, or even durability because you can get that in a watch at Walmart that is better than a Rolex or any other mechanical watch.
Posted By: BayouRover Re: Rolex Watch ? - 04/04/17
I can't believe some grown men can get so twisted out of shape about what watch someone else might wear. Buy what you want and leave the other guy to do the same. Sheesh.

When I use the term "grown men" I'm pretty sure I'm not referring to Starman, so I'll simply say that I have no idea what his issues are.
Posted By: Bwana_1 Re: Rolex Watch ? - 04/04/17
I can't believe some grown men can get so twisted out of shape about what watch someone else might wear. Buy what you want and leave the other guy to do the same. Sheesh.

When I use the term "grown men" I'm pretty sure I'm not referring to Starman, so I'll simply say that I have no idea what his issues are.

I don't care what anyone wears on their wrist, or what gun they shoot, or what beverage they drink...but Starfish enters every thread calling people names and throwing insults, obviously he seeks attention and enjoys drama.

I explained the technical differences between the Steinhart and Rolex brands, he didn't like the answer,,,then proceeded to insult other members choices in watch wear. Having simple civil conversations of worth here is a struggle, but he does it in every instance.

BTW: I never stated anywhere that I own a Rolex, if I desired Rolex models I'd have 5. I do have an extensive collection of German/Swiss pieces, many of them costing more than Rolex...and own them for my own pleasure. Not 1 member stated Rolex was the best built watch in the world, yet that it was a quality manufacturer with solid history and design elements.
Posted By: NeBassman Re: Rolex Watch ? - 04/04/17
One of these would be cool! Too rich for my blood though.

grin
Posted By: passport Re: Rolex Watch ? - 04/04/17
Submariner.

I also have a Submariner, best dam watch ever. Always thought a man should wear a watch and have a pocket knife.

The metros use the phone for time, gentlemen look at there Rolex. Just sayin

As to investment, its not.
Posted By: kingston Re: Rolex Watch ? - 04/04/17
If this thread were a painting, I'd title it "Poor, poor Kgunt of a Man".
If this thread were a painting, I'd title it "Poor, poor Kgunt of a Man".

Sorry, trying to man up...but I saw a trani in the bathroom at the mall today, now I'm all fkd up grin
Posted By: Pat85 Re: Rolex Watch ? - 04/04/17
It isn't about accuracy, reliability, or even durability because you can get that in a watch at Walmart that is better than a Rolex or any other mechanical watch.

Would be interesting to know how many people who make their living under water or in the air trust their navigation or time window underwater to Chinese timex quartz watches?

Posted By: BayouRover Re: Rolex Watch ? - 04/04/17

I don't care what anyone wears on their wrist, or what gun they shoot, or what beverage they drink...but Starfish enters every thread calling people names and throwing insults, obviously he seeks attention and enjoys drama.

I explained the technical differences between the Steinhart and Rolex brands, he didn't like the answer,,,then proceeded to insult other members choices in watch wear. Having simple civil conversations of worth here is a struggle, but he does it in every instance.

BTW: I never stated anywhere that I own a Rolex, if I desired Rolex models I'd have 5. I do have an extensive collection of German/Swiss pieces, many of them costing more than Rolex...and own them for my own pleasure. Not 1 member stated Rolex was the best built watch in the world, yet that it was a quality manufacturer with solid history and design elements.

You weren't even on my radar when I posted what I did.
It isn't about accuracy, reliability, or even durability because you can get that in a watch at Walmart that is better than a Rolex or any other mechanical watch.

Would be interesting to know how many people who make their living under water or in the air trust their navigation or time window underwater to Chinese timex quartz watches?

Most divers run a quality dive watch for a backup, and use a dive computer for elapsed time below surface....pilots generally use Pilot style watches(low lume hands & numerals, some times chrono style w/multi register).
Posted By: CharlieFoxtrot Re: Rolex Watch ? - 04/04/17
I wear a watch everyday. Usually a Tag, but if I'm doing some work with my hands or outdoor stuff then the Luminox gets the nod. I have no problem with people wearing Rolex or Timex if that's what they want to do. It's their life.

What does bug me is all these non-watch wearers asking me what freakin' time it is!
Originally Posted by CharlieFoxtrot

What does bug me is all these non-watch wearers asking me what freakin' time it is!

Tell them to buy a phone laugh
Originally Posted by CharlieFoxtrot

You're bordering on sig line material here.
Posted By: Pugs Re: Rolex Watch ? - 04/04/17

He's just another Sockpuppet/Troll. 30 days here with 800+ post and no real personal info just bragging and putting others down gets him to ignore pretty quickly.

We have a good troll hunting squad here when they put their mind to it and I'm sure they'll get around to "him" soon. In the meantime ignore works well.
Posted By: JJHACK Re: Rolex Watch ? - 04/04/17
I'm infatuated with automatic watches. As a diver the automatic dive watches have been in my wrist for 30 plus years now.

Rolex is the king of the watch world for those who only know status. Not for those who actually know performance and function. There are plenty of watch makers that produce equal or better quality with better user functions and to my eye far better looking then a Rolex. For a Diver the submariner is a classic that is hard to find any fault with other then the cost.

In my 30's I bought an Omega Seamaster chronograph for about 60% less than a Rolex Submariner. The Chronograph function and pushers work under water too, unlike anything else made by anybody at the time. Nobody then, and likely few today make a watch with pushers that can be used under water.

That watch is +3 seconds a month accurate and is Chronometer certified. Nothing mechanical will beat that at any price. I don't wear that watch much. It's so expensive that I worry that it will get banged into something or lost! I have other dive watches that work about as well as I need and cost far less. These are from very small makers that might only make 30-40 watches a year or as many as 300-500 at one production run over a couple years. They are very nice and made with such hand made care and perfection that nothing really comes close to them. Guess what, about 1/5th to 1/10th the cost of a Rolex too!

Of course, nobody has ever heard of these companies because they are so small. Ennebi from Italy comes to mind as does Helberg from Germany. I would take a beautiful Ennebi Over any watch made by anyone at any price!

He's just another Sockpuppet/Troll. 30 days here with 800+ post and no real personal info just bragging and putting others down gets him to ignore pretty quickly.

We have a good troll hunting squad here when they put their mind to it and I'm sure they'll get around to "him" soon. In the meantime ignore works well.

Pugs, Starman's been around since 2007. The new guy in this instance isn't the problem.
Posted By: Pugs Re: Rolex Watch ? - 04/04/17

Pugs, Starman's been around since 2007. The new guy in this instance isn't the problem.

Apologies - Confusing him with another new user. All other advice remains the same. grin
I've got an Oris dive watch on my wrist right now that is built like a tank and pressure rated for 300 meters. It is an exceptional watch from for the price.
I'm thinking Starman might be a jeweler or have a jeweler in the family who Rolex pulled AD status from. He's not just pushing buttons for kicks. His bias is too seething. I pray our witness to his vitriol is cathartic.
Posted By: Techsan Re: Rolex Watch ? - 04/04/17
For you guys in the know, how close is Omega to Rolex in terms of quality and reliability?
Pretty comparable. Fanboys may disagree.

I would say Omega is 98 to 99 percent of Rolex for $3 to $6k less in a comparable watch. Plus, only Omega has been to the moon and only Omega literally saved the lives of the astronauts on Apollo 13.
Posted By: JJHACK Re: Rolex Watch ? - 04/04/17
For functional dive watches there is no comparison Omega wins that, for jewelry watches and those that hold resale value better Rolex wins that hands down.

A funny side note, James bond wears an Omega in every movie. As stated above NASA tested the top watches made in the world and chose Omega for every single space mission. They could not use quartz movements in space due to some magnetic issues they figured out. The watches had to me automatics with a case made that was unable to become magnetized or screw up the movement. The article goes into pretty deep detail on the testing.

The Speedmaster watch they used is engraved on the back case saying the first and only watch to go to the moon.
In the first four James Bond films, he wore a Rolex Submariner 6538.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Yeah, but he also wore Capri pants apparently.
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: Rolex Watch ? - 04/04/17
Finally some damned pictures!

Yeah, but he also wore Capri pants apparently.

Didn't everybody?

I'll have to ask Kaywoodie.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Tudor sells more or less that exact same watch. It is the Black Bay.
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: Rolex Watch ? - 04/04/17
Originally Posted by Techsan
For you guys in the know, how close is Omega to Rolex in terms of quality and reliability?
I've owned both and IMO the Omega is better.
Posted By: JJHACK Re: Rolex Watch ? - 04/05/17
As far as a dive watch is concerned, (it's all I have so I'm not an information source on anything else) I would not own any dive watch for serious use that has spring bars unless one of these two conditions is met. It must have a bracelet with solid end links ( pretty good improvement), or a nato strap ( double good improvement). Solid end links are a massively better design to secure the bracelet to the case. The NATO strap requires a double pin failure instead of a single.

If you really want to be serious about an actual Dive watch it needs threaded lug bars, not that 12 cent thin metal tube with a spring to hold the watch on over a wet suit sleeve.

I have had those spring bars break on me too many times to count. One recent event was while fishing. Making a long cast to the base of the mangroves my watch flew off my wrist. About two weeks prior to this the spring bar broke and I replaced it. Literally, brand new spring bar broke! Study that connection point and think about a 3000-5000 plus watch and consider that entire expensive piece of kit is secured with a thin metal tube that cost pennies.

It would be like tying your boat to the dock with kite string!
Posted By: navlav8r Re: Rolex Watch ? - 04/05/17
Originally Posted by JJHACK
As far as a dive watch is concerned, (it's all I have so I'm not an information source on anything else) I would not own any dive watch for serious use that has spring bars unless one of these two conditions is met. It must have a bracelet with solid end links ( pretty good improvement), or a nato strap ( double good improvement). Solid end links are a massively better design to secure the bracelet to the case. The NATO strap requires a double pin failure instead of a single.

If you really want to be serious about an actual Dive watch it needs threaded lug bars, not that 12 cent thin metal tube with a spring to hold the watch on over a wet suit sleeve.

I have had those spring bars break on me too many times to count. One recent event was while fishing. Making a long cast to the base of the mangroves my watch flew off my wrist. About two weeks prior to this the spring bar broke and I replaced it. Literally, brand new spring bar broke! Study that connection point and think about a 3000-5000 plus watch and consider that entire expensive piece of kit is secured with a thin metal tube that cost pennies.

It would be like tying your boat to the dock with kite string!

I'll bet you said, "oops"! laugh
Posted By: gonehuntin Re: Rolex Watch ? - 04/09/17
Rare Rolexes up for auction:

http://www.watchtime.com/wristwatch...sties-all-rolex-watch-auction-on-may-15/
Posted By: kingston Re: Rolex Watch ? - 04/09/17
That Milgauss is pretty cool!
Posted By: Starman Re: Rolex Watch ? - 04/09/17

--Solid end links are a massively better design to secure the bracelet to the case.

--The NATO strap requires a double pin failure instead of a single.

If you really want to be serious about an actual Dive watch it needs threaded lug bars, not that 12 cent thin metal tube.

Vast majority of Rolex diver owners are not divers..they have no real use or purpose for a properly engineered
and constructed dive watch.

Its simply laughable that some call Rolex 'superb'...that means they must really like the crappy 'tuna can' bracelets.

Only in more recent yrs have Rolex given customers of gold Subs and actual solid gold winding crown,
prior it was only gold capped....LOL.....and the gold centrelinks were hollow!...talk about cheap ass.
Posted By: kingston Re: Rolex Watch ? - 04/09/17
Hell hath no fury.....
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: Rolex Watch ? - 04/10/17
Rolex is the John Deere of watches, living off the name and ignorance of buyers.
Posted By: Pat85 Re: Rolex Watch ? - 04/10/17
[quote=Starman]

Vast majority of Rolex diver owners are not divers..they have no real use or purpose for a properly engineered
and constructed dive watch.[quote]

No, they might not use it for its intended purposes. It's their money, if they want to walk around with a $8500 dive watch on their wrist then good for them and good for Rolex and people who buy and sell them. As you pointed out there are other makers for divers who don't want to shell out $8500 for a watch.
Posted By: Techsan Re: Rolex Watch ? - 04/10/17
This thread has sent me doing mucho online watch research. The Seiko Automatic Diver I recently bought on a gray market site for $200 led me to bone up on Seiko and now the idea of a Grand Seiko dive watch is compelling. Seems folks with experience with those watches find them to be as good if not better than Rolex quality.
Posted By: jorgeI Re: Rolex Watch ? - 04/10/17
My "POS" GMT's been ticking since 1981. Guess I'm one of those "John Deere" ignoramuses...
My "POS" GMT's been ticking since 1981. Guess I'm one of those "John Deere" ignoramuses...
My comment was directed at current events. Rolex's were an expensive, upscale watch in 1981...not the best, but a great watch. IMO anymore they're just expensive. To each their own though. I've owned Rolex's and probably will again. I also own some John Deere equipment.
Posted By: kingston Re: Rolex Watch ? - 04/10/17
My idea of a durability test for automatic mechanical watches would involve the wrist of a guy who runs a jack hammer for a living.
For my application (durability, reliability and YES, aesthetics and reputation for a good product)the Rolex was the "Best" in my opinion. My dad had a Patek Phillippe, which ranks pretty much at the top of "best quality",would most definitively not withstood the every day usage of the GMT. Current pricing merely reflects inflation AND demand and while I would not consider spending 8K plus for a new GMT today, clearly I don't have to mine still works and works well and I don't know very many watches that can withstand what I put mine through.
Posted By: kingston Re: Rolex Watch ? - 04/10/17
For my application (durability, reliability and YES, aesthetics and reputation for a good product)the Rolex was the "Best" in my opinion. My dad had a Patek Phillippe, which ranks pretty much at the top of "best quality",would most definitively not withstood the every day usage of the GMT. Current pricing merely reflects inflation AND demand and while I would not consider spending 8K plus for a new GMT today, clearly I don't have to mine still works and works well and I don't know very many watches that can withstand what I put mine through.

Any perspective on value should acknowledge that you could probably trade your vintage GMT for a new one and then some. There aren't many $800 mechanical objects from 1981 that one can say this about, especially after having used daily.
A cursory look at the vintage market suggests anywhere from 6-8K for my 30 plus year old watch. Too much history and memories with this watch to ever trade.
Posted By: dave7mm Re: Rolex Watch ? - 04/10/17
How about American made?
http://www.watchtime.com/blog/rgm-watches-roland-g-murphy/

dave
Posted By: gonehuntin Re: Rolex Watch ? - 04/10/17
Originally Posted by dave7mm

RGM's are fantastic watches. Roland has bought several rose engines from Ye Olde Europe that were used by other watch mfg's.

http://www.martinpulli.com/watches/rgm-watch-company/

Any perspective on value should acknowledge that you could probably trade your vintage GMT for a new one and then some. There aren't many $800 mechanical objects from 1981 that one can say this about, especially after having used daily.
I was guessing it cost $1k. I was pretty close. Good investment. I'd rather have put the $800 in Microsoft though.
http://www.rgmwatches.com/watches/

I wish these spoke to me.
One knows he's wasting his time discussing, when the purchase of a watch, whose cost has not only kept up with inflation, but far exceeded it, digresses into poor stock market investment strategies to negate said purchase. If Rolex watches walked on water, the retort here would be "yeah, because it can't swim"...
A cursory look at the vintage market suggests anywhere from 6-8K for my 30 plus year old watch. Too much history and memories with this watch to ever trade.
You should retire the GMT and get a Breitling. Every pilot should have a Breitling.
I looked at them and didn't care for them. To me they are like the Lexus of watches. Superb quality, but like the glorified Toyotas they are, they just don't "sing" to me. Same for Breitling. I have a Zenith El Primero Chrono (basically a Rolex Daytona), but if I wanted that type of watch I think the Omega would be it.
I've got both a Breitling and an Omega. The Omega I currently own is a big Chrono...probably my best watch. I took a spell of wearing it a lot last winter. I finally got the battery replaced in my Quartz Tag though and am wearing it daily currently. I've never owned a Zenith, but they are fine watches. Baume makes a nice watch also. I have a plain mechanical Baume setting on my dresser right now.

The Navitimer is the most famous Breitling. Personally, I've never loved the look. It is okay and I'd own one if the price was right, but they are a huge watch too. I don't have huge wrists and don't like a watch that overpowers my arm. Doesn't look right. For the right price though, I'd wear a damned Grandfather Clock on my arm.
Posted By: CraigD Re: Rolex Watch ? - 04/10/17
First we were supposed to feel "white guilt" now I am supposed to feel "Rolex guilt" for my Explorer II I got on the submarine tender in 1975...
One knows he's wasting his time discussing, when the purchase of a watch, whose cost has not only kept up with inflation, but far exceeded it, digresses into poor stock market investment strategies to negate said purchase. If Rolex watches walked on water, the retort here would be "yeah, because it can't swim"...
I guess I missed this.

Microsoft stocks were an excellent investment. I don't even know the timeline because in 1981 I actually was running a jackhammer for a living and was more concerned with chasing chicks than buying watches.

My semi-disdain of the Rolex brand comes from actual experience. I'm glad you've had good luck with yours, but I've owned several and they all steamed sooner or later. Back twenty years ago a coa cost $200 and a goodly wait period. I'm sure they are much higher to get re-sealed now.

I had a chance at either a Sub or GMT back about 1996 for $600. I should have bought it.
Originally Posted by CraigD
First we were supposed to feel "white guilt" now I am supposed to feel "Rolex guilt" for my Explorer II I got on the submarine tender in 1975...
Why would you say that? Most people here on this thread are expounding the virtues of expensive watches, whether most prefer the Rolex brand or not.
Posted By: Pat85 Re: Rolex Watch ? - 04/11/17

I wouldn't feel any guilt wearing a Rolex. I'am partial to Omegas and my next fine time piece is going to be a Speedmaster.
Posted By: Woodhits Re: Rolex Watch ? - 04/11/17
I bought an Omega Seamaster back in 1998 and am in the process of upgrading to a "pepsi" Rolex GMT Master II. I don't believe it's for ego, status or to make up for dick length: it's the watch I've wanted since I was a kid and I've worked/saved to the point that I'm financially able to buy it without my kids going barefoot.
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: Rolex Watch ? - 04/22/17
[Linked Image]

1943 Rolex
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Rolex Watch ? - 04/22/17

I wouldn't feel any guilt wearing a Rolex. I'am partial to Omegas and my next fine time piece is going to be a Speedmaster.

LOL, this is a funny thread, I've had similar inquiries about a building full of cars I may drive once a year, it's all good.

Have never understood the concern some have on what another man does with his OWN hard earned money. crazy
Posted By: Pat85 Re: Rolex Watch ? - 04/22/17
Originally Posted by gunner500

LOL, this is a funny thread, I've had similar inquiries about a building full of cars I may drive once a year, it's all good.

Have never understood the concern some have on what another man does with his OWN hard earned money. crazy

It's called envy.

Any criticism I've made of Rolex's isn't of the fact that some like them and choose to spend their money on them. It's more of the fact that they are overpriced for what they are. They are a good watch, not a great one. I've got two Tag's that are better watches than a Rolex.
And envy has to be the end result of laziness and complacency.
I'm too rough on equipment to wear a Rolex EE, farming and quarry/mine dust would surely chitcan any good watch in short order, I wear a 45 buck Timex from wally world. grin

It fails, I trash it and have Wifey pick me up another one.
I'm too rough on equipment to wear a Rolex EE, farming and quarry/mine dust would surely chitcan any good watch in short order, I wear a 45 buck Timex from wally world. grin

I farm also. I don't wear any watch whilst doing rough work. Too easy to get it caught in machinery. I don't want to get baled up or combined.
Posted By: JoeBob Re: Rolex Watch ? - 04/22/17
The problem with a Rolex is that about half the people you see will think it is fake and judge you for being vain/pretentious/silly enough to care enough about that stuff to get a fake and being too cheap to get a real one, and the other half will assume it is real but judge you for being vain/pretentious/silly enough to spend that much money on a watch.

I like Omegas. There is some brand recognition there, but mostly only from other watch guys and they on par in quality with a Rolex.
I've got enough safe queen rifles to buy two or three Rolex watches if I sold them. And I would expect most on this board are the same.

I farm also. I don't wear any watch whilst doing rough work. Too easy to get it caught in machinery. I don't want to get baled up or combined.

Good points, but I most always have a watch on and a damn pen in my shirt pocket ;]
The problem with a Rolex is that about half the people you see will think it is fake and judge you for being vain/pretentious/silly enough to care enough about that stuff to get a fake and being too cheap to get a real one, and the other half will assume it is real but judge you for being vain/pretentious/silly enough to spend that much money on a watch.

I like Omegas. There is some brand recognition there, but mostly only from other watch guys and they on par in quality with a Rolex.
I just don't like the look of most Rolex's. The ones I do are priced out of my budget since they're "vintage" and command the top prices that they are actually worth. Some of the old Rolex chrono's from the 50's are beautiful. To each their own but to me, lots of the "new" Rolex's are gaudy. They need to come out with some retro stuff or a new look.
I've got enough safe queen rifles to buy two or three Rolex watches if I sold them. And I would expect most on this board are the same.
I've got several safe queen watches, though I did put some wear on my Omega over the last year.
Posted By: boatboy Re: Rolex Watch ? - 04/22/17

Maybe those folks are just JERKS

Been wearing one for 30 years
Enjoyed it never thought anyone thought that if they did I dint care anyway

Hank

I just don't like the look of most Rolex's. The ones I do are priced out of my budget since they're "vintage" and command the top prices that they are actually worth. Some of the old Rolex chrono's from the 50's are beautiful. To each their own but to me, lots of the "new" Rolex's are gaudy. They need to come out with some retro stuff or a new look.

Tudor is what you seek. Rolex seems to take pride in being stuffy and unresponsive to market forces. Their R&D department for new designs seems to be a 80 year old frog who thinks 24k gold is all any watch needs to be on the cutting edge.

But Rolex seems to blow off steam and channel their creative juices into the Tudor brand where they have all sorts of cool designs and are now even putting in their own in house movements. In short, they are Rolexes for people under 60.
Posted By: JSTUART Re: Rolex Watch ? - 04/22/17

For me the ideal is the Rolex Explorer...preferably in 36mm with sapphire crystal.
And should I ever be in a position to avail myself of same I fully intend to purchase and wear.

[Linked Image]

History of Rolex Explorer.
Posted By: JJHACK Re: Rolex Watch ? - 04/22/17
Joe bob, well stated!

Omega's tissot line is similiar

Tudor is what you seek. Rolex seems to take pride in being stuffy and unresponsive to market forces. Their R&D department for new designs seems to be a 80 year old frog who thinks 24k gold is all any watch needs to be on the cutting edge.

But Rolex seems to blow off steam and channel their creative juices into the Tudor brand where they have all sorts of cool designs and are now even putting in their own in house movements. In short, they are Rolex's for people under 60.
In short, no. I've never seen a Tudor that turned me on. To me, they are just a less expensive Rolex. I did look at their current website. A bunch of two-dial chrono's that look like cheapened up Rolex's.

[Linked Image]

The above is what I'm talking about. The Japanese decimated the used wristwatch market in the '90s.
Posted By: navlav8r Re: Rolex Watch ? - 04/22/17
Originally Posted by JSTUART

For me the ideal is the Rolex Explorer...preferably in 36mm with sapphire crystal.
And should I ever be in a position to avail myself of same I fully intend to purchase and wear.

[Linked Image]

History of Rolex Explorer.

Mine is the '72 version of that one. Little different numbers and hour marks. Been wearing it ever since.

But Rolex seems to blow off steam and channel their creative juices into the Tudor brand where they have all sorts of cool designs and are now even putting in their own in house movements. In short, they are Rolex's for people under 60.
In short, no. I've never seen a Tudor that turned me on. To me, they are just a less expensive Rolex. I did look at their current website. A bunch of two-dial chrono's that look like cheapened up Rolex's.

[Linked Image]

The above is what I'm talking about. The Japanese decimated the used wristwatch market in the '90s.

Tudors aren't cheap. The cases are made by and in the same place as Rolex. They used to use off the shelf movements but as I said, they are. Is starting to use their own movements too.

[Linked Image]

Tudors aren't cheap. The cases are made by and in the same place as Rolex. They used to use off the shelf movements but as I said, they are. Is starting to use their own movements too.
Maybe it's just personal taste, but I don't think any Tudor ever made looks as good as the above Rolex, nor any Rolex made in the past twenty years or so. Not even a White Gold Day-Date with a Jubilee bracelet and Diamonds at each numeral.
Posted By: Pat85 Re: Rolex Watch ? - 04/22/17
For eye appeal, this one does it for me.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: EdM Re: Rolex Watch ? - 04/22/17

No chitt.
Posted By: jorgeI Re: Rolex Watch ? - 04/22/17
Bet you boys haven't seen one of these:
[img]https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/h...-trimmer-update-to-a-classic-chronograph[/img]

[Linked Image]

Given to me by one of my Spanish relatives when I used to spend my summers with them on La Costa Brava in Spain. Mine has the metal bracelet. I need to get it rehabbed.
I very much prefer micro brand hand made Watch's

Ennebi, helson, Helburg orca's, heroic, etc. all these are made in multiple types of metal cases but I'm only interested in the bronze. Most hand made in small batchs of only 20-200 units per version.

The bronze ages so nice with the patina of ancient artifacts that make each one unique. The movements from the Swiss are so well designed and sold by the thousands. Parts available anyplace unmatched dependability. ETA powered watches can be serviced anywhere by any watchmaker.

Rolex are top of the heap for status and function. However resale profit by percentage for watches that are only made a dozen at a time can exceed Rolex levels easily.

My bronze Watch's are my favorite by a large margin.
Posted By: kingston Re: Rolex Watch ? - 04/22/17
Pics?
Posted By: kingston Re: Rolex Watch ? - 04/22/17
Absolutely classic Pat!
The Explorer does it for me as far as Rolex goes. Very understated and functional. I might have to get one sometime or another.
Posted By: Starman Re: Rolex Watch ? - 04/22/17

But Rolex seems to blow off steam and channel their creative juices into the Tudor brand where they have all sorts of cool designs

Tudor offering the option of titanium or black ceramic case with in-house MT5612 or 7750/3(used in Rolex Daytonas for decades)
definitely makes them a more forward thinking watch concept.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
I don't have pics handy. Google "bronze dive watch patina" choose images and there will be plenty of them I would guess.

Bronze ages so fantastic!
Posted By: boatboy Re: Rolex Watch ? - 04/23/17
I don't have pics handy. Google "bronze dive watch patina" choose images and there will be plenty of them I would guess.

Bronze ages so fantastic!

Wow I googled the bronze watches they are beautiful

Hank
Posted By: boatboy Re: Rolex Watch ? - 04/23/17
and unique

Hank
Posted By: Pat85 Re: Rolex Watch ? - 04/23/17

But Rolex seems to blow off steam and channel their creative juices into the Tudor brand where they have all sorts of cool designs and are now even putting in their own in house movements. In short, they are Rolexes for people under 60.

Its like they are institutionalized to a point. Using the Tudor line as barometer for new watch design to wear the Rolex logo maybe?
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: Rolex Watch ? - 04/23/17

Its like they are institutionalized to a point. Using the Tudor line as barometer for new watch design to wear the Rolex logo maybe?
No offense to Joe but I didn't see anything particularly innovative or even retro when I perused Tudor's watch line. Just some stuff that was a bit different than Rolex with a different branding.
Posted By: kingston Re: Rolex Watch ? - 04/23/17
"Black Shield" should be a line magnum Trojans.
Posted By: kingston Re: Rolex Watch ? - 04/23/17
A Tudor with clunky looking hands and two pilots. The pilots looks pretty sharp. Most of the bronze dive watches look super heavy.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: JoeBob Re: Rolex Watch ? - 04/23/17

No offense to Joe but I didn't see anything particularly innovative or even retro when I perused Tudor's watch line. Just some stuff that was a bit different than Rolex with a different branding.

The Black Bay is completely retro. It is pretty much the original Submariner. The Pelagos is the best tool watch on the market, Rolex included.
Posted By: Starman Re: Rolex Watch ? - 04/25/17
BlackBay retros are a combo-mix homage of features drawn from both the early Rolexes & Tudors.

To my knowledge , unlike the new retro, there was no original release watch from Rolex or Tudor which had the circular HR markers with the
square 'snowflake' HR hand.(like one sees on the retro)..... In other words, if an old Tudor had a snowflake HR hand, it had square HR markers.
(like one sees on the Pelagos)

..The Pelagos is the best tool watch on the market, Rolex included.

The best is what suites the individual. I prefer Glycine Combat over the Pelagos.

the full ceramic one piece bezel (no seperate insert) is rather unique.

http://www.gnomonwatches.com/combat-sub-aquarius-500m-ref-3946
© 24hourcampfire