Page 9 of 16 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 15 16
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kingston
Originally Posted by Bwana_1
Originally Posted by kingston
Damasko

There's an under rated brand, I have 3 Damaskos and they're bullet proof in toughness and quality. Their stem design and ice hardened case make for a great outdoor watch, 1 of the few 100m rated watches I swim with.

The cases are indestructible. I have an early DA36. It's a new classic.

Yes I have an early DA36 also, with the purple anti-reflective coating...before they switched to clear. I have the DA45(bezel ring, full lume dial) & DC56 chrono also, great watches at their price point.

I collect mainly German and Swiss, far too many to list...but do have 2 Sinn's, and other than the bracelets are solid pieces too.

GB1

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Not really appreciated in the US because they are mostly known for cheap quartz watches is Seiko. They Seiko 5s are really good values for mechanical watches. They have some slightly more upscale mechanicals that are every bit the equal and usually better than the lower to midrange Swiss and German watches. And the Grand Seiko mechanicals cost as much and are the equal of Rolex.

Many of these watches are only available in Japan and the Far East but with the internet, you can get them shipped to your door.

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Just ordered a Seiko black and orange dial 200M, which I believe is in the Seiko line that replaced the Orange Monster line.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Seiko 5 series ?

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
The only thing I miss in the Seiko 5s is a sapphire crystal. I don't care about hacking and all that but a tougher crystal would be nice.

IC B2

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I have a Timex Ironman my sister gave me for my birthday about 15 years ago. F'r still keeps time. The only time I wear a watch now is when I'm hunting.

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by gregintenn
My cell phone has a clock on it.

I don't give a damn about impressing anyone.

I feel the same way. I think it is neat that such a small, sophisticated machine can be made but I have no interest in owning one. I have an old self-winding Omega that was given to me. It doesn't keep time well at all compared to a $100 digital watch. My cell phone is my watch.

Last edited by Theeck; 03/31/17.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
For all you "My cell phone has a clock" guys, congratulations, you have reinvented the pocket watch.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by liliysdad
This website led me down the Bertucci hole...

Check out the refurbished watches they sell...

Me too. My wife had gotten me a few inexpensive watches over the years and they ended up crapping out, so I just figured I'm carrying this stupid phone, no need for a watch. Well I got a Bertucci last year and I've been very happy with it. I'm going to be taking a job where I can't carry a cell phone (electrically classified area) so I can appreciate there are places where if you want to keep track of time, you need a watch.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I will wear my fathers Bulova Accutron and be plenty happy with it[when I wear a watch].

FJB & FJT
IC B3

pak Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a Ball Streamliner non chronograph. I bought a Ball because they use tritium gas tubes for illumination rather than paint. It is very bright in the dark. Pros for mechanical watches: they are generally classy and well made. Cons: heavy, not as accurate as quartz or electronic, not as shock resistant as other watches and more expensive. I wear a watch all the time and cannot baby a watch such as taking it off when I'm chopping wood. My current daily watch is a Tag Heuer quartz I've been wearing since '96. I wore out the original stainless band and replaced it with an after market band which has lasted a surprising amount of time. Standards are different for different types of watches. For accuracy the electronic watches are first then quartz followed by mechanical.

'Often mistaken, never in doubt'

'Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge' Darwin
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Raeford
I will wear my fathers Bulova Accutron and be plenty happy with it[when I wear a watch].

I occasionally wear my Father's 1940's vintage Hamilton Barton, but never anywhere that I might be mugged/robbed, as it has a lot of sentimental value to me.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

I occasionally wear my Father's 1940's vintage Hamilton Barton, but never anywhere that I might be mugged/robbed, as it has a lot of sentimental value to me.

My grandfather had a Hamilton Emerson form the 40's that was stolen. Hamilton re-released the Emerson as a ltd. edition in '86 and my grandfather, dad and uncle all bought one. I now have my grandfather's and got a new band and a new crystal.

Originally Posted by Bristoe
It's about like this:

"Do you puff peters?"

"Hell no!"

"NAZI!!!"

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bigfish9684

My grandfather had a Hamilton Emerson form the 40's that was stolen. Hamilton re-released the Emerson as a ltd. edition in '86 and my grandfather, dad and uncle all bought one. I now have my grandfather's and got a new band and a new crystal.

Hamilton being the last great American watchmaker, to fight off the Swiss and Asian tide of competition...finally gobbled up by Swatch. Made some fine pieces, with a great reputation for quality and service.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by bigfish9684

Hamilton being the last great American watchmaker, to fight off the Swiss and Asian tide of competition...finally gobbled up by Swatch. Made some fine pieces, with a great reputation for quality and service.

The back of my Father's watch is engraved in script:

"His Name"
"Major - USMCR"
"12 September 1947"

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The Mondaine Swiss Railroad Watches are OK too.

www.mondaine-usa.com

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I have my dad's Girard Perregaux, don't recall the model. I suspect, but don't know, his parents gave it to him as a graduation gift. Never saw it worn, found it among his belongings after he died. I haven't worn it either, I'm a timex kind of guy.

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter

The back of my Father's watch is engraved in script:

"His Name"
"Major - USMCR"
"12 September 1947"

Then your fathers was still a US based piece, appears they stopped mfg'n here in 69...I know reports are still good on their service, and very reasonable rates for repairs.

I have a rare Khaki Navy w/blue dial, inner bezel w/2nd crown.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I purchased a Rolex Submariner in 1969 because I wanted a watch that would work and survive in Viet Nam. I still have that watch and wear it daily. I don't think I am impressing or trying to impress anyone wearing it in all hunting, fishing and outdoor activities and social activities also.
I am impressed with it handling jungle, salt water, rocky mountains, and a zillion other happenings with out missing a beat.
I have had to replace the crystal and stem (I over twisted it) and two years ago I replaced all the internal moving parts as they had worn themselves nearly out. So she is back to new.
I am impressed with it as a product and tool.
I also keep a Timex Indiglo that gets worn some, but they have to be replaced every once in a while. But they also give you their monies worth.
At todays prices, I would only buy a Rolex if I were to be in the military and wanted to make sure I didn't miss the pick up chopper at zero three hundred.
I do not have smart phone to tell me the last time I took a crap.
jmho
Tim
PS: I was recently offer seven times what I paid for that watch.

Last edited by michiganroadkill; 03/31/17.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Whats in a name..?

Rolex owned: Tudor titanium 'Pelagos' 500m dive watch 42MM
Ti grade 5
calibre- ETA 2824 calibre. Top Grade
ceramic bezel insert, sapphire glass non-AR
Lug width: 20 mm
weight approx 105 grams.
retail approx $4500 + tax
Warranty: 2 yrs transferable.
Servicing costs: - as per Rolex service centres.
IMAGE: http://img15.hostingpics.net/pics/693045PELAGOS.jpg

Steinhart 'Ocean 1' titanium 500M dive watch 42MM
Ti grade 5
calibre- Soprod A-10 Top Grade or ETA 2928 Top Grade as used by Omega
ceramic bezel insert, sapphire glass- double AR coated
Lug width: 22m
weight approx 80 grams.
retail approx $500 + tax
Warranty: 2 yrs fully transferable in that period
14 day right of return apon purchase.
Servicing costs: as per ones trusted reputable service Co.
(typically significantly less than Rolex.)
IMAGE: https://d2xngy2dw7hums.cloudfront.n...nium_500_premium_1468092046_517a7cf2.jpg

Note:
Mk1 Pelagos had ETA and no COSC cert.
MkII has in-house calibre with COSC.

Steinhart are not COSC, but owners talk of their watches being well within or way better than COSC.
those examples that are not, can be regulated to be so.

Mk1 Ocean 1 had Soprod A-10,
Mk2 has 2928-2...(essentially A-10/2928 are the same swiss movement)

BOTH WATCHES SIDE x SIDE:

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160527/81611d274ef1eb3240110967486bfd05.jpg

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
Page 9 of 16 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 15 16

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

490 members (222Sako, 308xray, 30Gibbs, 29aholic, 12344mag, 1badf350, 40 invisible), 1,719 guests, and 1,186 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,010
Posts18,520,643
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.