-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 14 of 16 1 2 12 13 14 15 16
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Rolex is the John Deere of watches, living off the name and ignorance of buyers.

GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
[quote=Starman]

Vast majority of Rolex diver owners are not divers..they have no real use or purpose for a properly engineered
and constructed dive watch.[quote]

No, they might not use it for its intended purposes. It's their money, if they want to walk around with a $8500 dive watch on their wrist then good for them and good for Rolex and people who buy and sell them. As you pointed out there are other makers for divers who don't want to shell out $8500 for a watch.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
This thread has sent me doing mucho online watch research. The Seiko Automatic Diver I recently bought on a gray market site for $200 led me to bone up on Seiko and now the idea of a Grand Seiko dive watch is compelling. Seems folks with experience with those watches find them to be as good if not better than Rolex quality.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My "POS" GMT's been ticking since 1981. Guess I'm one of those "John Deere" ignoramuses...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by jorgeI
My "POS" GMT's been ticking since 1981. Guess I'm one of those "John Deere" ignoramuses...
My comment was directed at current events. Rolex's were an expensive, upscale watch in 1981...not the best, but a great watch. IMO anymore they're just expensive. To each their own though. I've owned Rolex's and probably will again. I also own some John Deere equipment.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My idea of a durability test for automatic mechanical watches would involve the wrist of a guy who runs a jack hammer for a living.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
For my application (durability, reliability and YES, aesthetics and reputation for a good product)the Rolex was the "Best" in my opinion. My dad had a Patek Phillippe, which ranks pretty much at the top of "best quality",would most definitively not withstood the every day usage of the GMT. Current pricing merely reflects inflation AND demand and while I would not consider spending 8K plus for a new GMT today, clearly I don't have to mine still works and works well and I don't know very many watches that can withstand what I put mine through.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
For my application (durability, reliability and YES, aesthetics and reputation for a good product)the Rolex was the "Best" in my opinion. My dad had a Patek Phillippe, which ranks pretty much at the top of "best quality",would most definitively not withstood the every day usage of the GMT. Current pricing merely reflects inflation AND demand and while I would not consider spending 8K plus for a new GMT today, clearly I don't have to mine still works and works well and I don't know very many watches that can withstand what I put mine through.

Any perspective on value should acknowledge that you could probably trade your vintage GMT for a new one and then some. There aren't many $800 mechanical objects from 1981 that one can say this about, especially after having used daily.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A cursory look at the vintage market suggests anywhere from 6-8K for my 30 plus year old watch. Too much history and memories with this watch to ever trade.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by dave7mm

RGM's are fantastic watches. Roland has bought several rose engines from Ye Olde Europe that were used by other watch mfg's.

http://www.martinpulli.com/watches/rgm-watch-company/

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by kingston

Any perspective on value should acknowledge that you could probably trade your vintage GMT for a new one and then some. There aren't many $800 mechanical objects from 1981 that one can say this about, especially after having used daily.
I was guessing it cost $1k. I was pretty close. Good investment. I'd rather have put the $800 in Microsoft though.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
http://www.rgmwatches.com/watches/

I wish these spoke to me.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
One knows he's wasting his time discussing, when the purchase of a watch, whose cost has not only kept up with inflation, but far exceeded it, digresses into poor stock market investment strategies to negate said purchase. If Rolex watches walked on water, the retort here would be "yeah, because it can't swim"...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A cursory look at the vintage market suggests anywhere from 6-8K for my 30 plus year old watch. Too much history and memories with this watch to ever trade.
You should retire the GMT and get a Breitling. Every pilot should have a Breitling.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I looked at them and didn't care for them. To me they are like the Lexus of watches. Superb quality, but like the glorified Toyotas they are, they just don't "sing" to me. Same for Breitling. I have a Zenith El Primero Chrono (basically a Rolex Daytona), but if I wanted that type of watch I think the Omega would be it.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've got both a Breitling and an Omega. The Omega I currently own is a big Chrono...probably my best watch. I took a spell of wearing it a lot last winter. I finally got the battery replaced in my Quartz Tag though and am wearing it daily currently. I've never owned a Zenith, but they are fine watches. Baume makes a nice watch also. I have a plain mechanical Baume setting on my dresser right now.

The Navitimer is the most famous Breitling. Personally, I've never loved the look. It is okay and I'd own one if the price was right, but they are a huge watch too. I don't have huge wrists and don't like a watch that overpowers my arm. Doesn't look right. For the right price though, I'd wear a damned Grandfather Clock on my arm.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
First we were supposed to feel "white guilt" now I am supposed to feel "Rolex guilt" for my Explorer II I got on the submarine tender in 1975...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
One knows he's wasting his time discussing, when the purchase of a watch, whose cost has not only kept up with inflation, but far exceeded it, digresses into poor stock market investment strategies to negate said purchase. If Rolex watches walked on water, the retort here would be "yeah, because it can't swim"...
I guess I missed this.

Microsoft stocks were an excellent investment. I don't even know the timeline because in 1981 I actually was running a jackhammer for a living and was more concerned with chasing chicks than buying watches.

My semi-disdain of the Rolex brand comes from actual experience. I'm glad you've had good luck with yours, but I've owned several and they all steamed sooner or later. Back twenty years ago a coa cost $200 and a goodly wait period. I'm sure they are much higher to get re-sealed now.

I had a chance at either a Sub or GMT back about 1996 for $600. I should have bought it.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by CraigD
First we were supposed to feel "white guilt" now I am supposed to feel "Rolex guilt" for my Explorer II I got on the submarine tender in 1975...
Why would you say that? Most people here on this thread are expounding the virtues of expensive watches, whether most prefer the Rolex brand or not.

Page 14 of 16 1 2 12 13 14 15 16

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

551 members (12344mag, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 1badf350, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 53 invisible), 1,644 guests, and 1,281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,993
Posts18,520,295
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.