Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
dale06 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D

Wife and I need to update our old will and likely set up a trust.

It is likely that we will move to another state in the next year or two. Are wills and trusts portable across state lines, or would we need to start over in a new state?

Thanks

NRA Patron

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Trusts are valid in all states.

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.
Thomas Jefferson

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Take a look at grantor trusts. In most cases its all that's needed and its very simple with low set up charges.

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.
Thomas Jefferson

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
You may need to record them in the new state.

If you reload, there's no such thing as an obsolete cartridge.

Once you render an opinion, you open yourself up to criticism.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Mostly. There is a Uniform Trust Code that most states adhere to. There are a few that don't however.

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
It is always best to have a current will that does whatever you want done, so update now. If you do the trust, there (likely) will still be a document some refer to as a "pour-over" will that dispenses anything not inside the trust. When you get to the new state, just have a licensed attorney do a quick review and tweak it if necessary to conform to your new state's law. It could be that nothing needs to be done.

Either way, it is best to have a document review every few years or when you have a significant life change/event. There are all kinds of trusts. Make sure you go to an attorney who specializes in estate planning. All wills and trusts are not created equally.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by slowmover12
It is always best to have a current will that does whatever you want done, so update now. If you do the trust, there (likely) will still be a document some refer to as a "pour-over" will that dispenses anything not inside the trust. When you get to the new state, just have a licensed attorney do a quick review and tweak it if necessary to conform to your new state's law. It could be that nothing needs to be done.

Either way, it is best to have a document review every few years or when you have a significant life change/event. There are all kinds of trusts. Make sure you go to an attorney who specializes in estate planning. All wills and trusts are not created equally.

This ^^^^^ Besides having a professional draft the documents, do ALL of the documents at one time. Wife and sister in law are co-excutrixes for a late uncle and are dealing with "hanging chads" where items were changed in one document, but other related documents were not updated to reflect the changes to the first document. Can leave a bit of a mess to sort out...

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Great advice above. Also, check to see if the state you are moving to is one of the six states that honors the Tenancy by the Entirety Act. If your state honors that act then it is critical that aspect be included in your Trust. Some trust attorneys are not aware of this benefit to you. It protects you if you are married and only one of you is sued after an accident or many other debtor issues.

D
dale06 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
Wow, thanks for detailed responses

NRA Patron
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good advice here.

Depending on how much you have in assets and where they are located, and your family situation, you may want to put title assets in a trust in one of a few states that have extremely favorable (i.e., low) state and local taxes and beneficial laws on asset protection.

The top two I recommend are 1) South Dakota and 2) Wyoming. They have by far and away the best laws, even permitting very long range "dynasty" trusts. They also are known for integrity, unlike some states. <g>.

You do not need to establish residence in either, but you must set up the trust under local law and have a local co-trustee to qualify and administer the trust. You can use your own lawyer to set them up, and another co-trustee of your choice, but the wills and trust docs must be reviewed by the local co-trustee to assure that they take advantage of the local law. That requires a fee to administer the trust but it is quite economical since it is mainly "back office" work.

Several very rich MN families use SD trusts, and in some cases they have complex trust structures because of their family situations. MN imposes fairly high local taxes, though not as high as the very worst, which are NY, NJ, CT and CA.

There is huge capital flight today from high to low tax states, as noted in Trevor H. Browns' book "How Money Walks." Brown uses US Census data, which is rock solid.

I am a big proselytizer about this, since I think the high tax states badly abuse their residents. It just makes sense to preserve one's hard-earned assets for uses of your own choice (family, charity, alumni purpose) rather than ones chosen by pols.

If you want to get more tips on this, shoot me a PM. I won't charge for it.

Norman Solberg
International lawyer, lately for 25 years in Japan, now working on trusts in the US, the 3rd greatest tax haven. NRA Life Member for over 50 years, NRA Endowment (2014), Patron (2016).
IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Talk to your lawyer--

D
dale06 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Anjin
Good advice here.

Depending on how much you have in assets and where they are located, and your family situation, you may want to put title assets in a trust in one of a few states that have extremely favorable (i.e., low) state and local taxes and beneficial laws on asset protection.

The top two I recommend are 1) South Dakota and 2) Wyoming. They have by far and away the best laws, even permitting very long range "dynasty" trusts. They also are known for integrity, unlike some states. <g>.

You do not need to establish residence in either, but you must set up the trust under local law and have a local co-trustee to qualify and administer the trust. You can use your own lawyer to set them up, and another co-trustee of your choice, but the wills and trust docs must be reviewed by the local co-trustee to assure that they take advantage of the local law. That requires a fee to administer the trust but it is quite economical since it is mainly "back office" work.

Several very rich MN families use SD trusts, and in some cases they have complex trust structures because of their family situations. MN imposes fairly high local taxes, though not as high as the very worst, which are NY, NJ, CT and CA.

There is huge capital flight today from high to low tax states, as noted in Trevor H. Browns' book "How Money Walks." Brown uses US Census data, which is rock solid.

I am a big proselytizer about this, since I think the high tax states badly abuse their residents. It just makes sense to preserve one's hard-earned assets for uses of your own choice (family, charity, alumni purpose) rather than ones chosen by pols.

If you want to get more tips on this, shoot me a PM. I won't charge for it.

Your comments are precisely why we will leave this tax hell hole. Thanks

Last edited by dale06; 03/23/17.

NRA Patron
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I suggest you include ailing health and death stuff in it so critical decisions will have been made for those that will need to manage same.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Geez Norm, as long as you're not looking to charge why not put it out for everybody?

Be Polite , Be Professional , but have a plan to kill everybody you meet
-General James Mattis United States Marine Corps

Nothing is darker than a mau mau's moo moo.
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Anjin, where would New Mexico fit in the tax "tier", for lack of a better term?

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RichardAustin
Geez Norm, as long as you're not looking to charge why not put it out for everybody?

I already do in large part, but there is way too much to put it here. See my website for a fuller taste at www.gaiben.com.

Bear in mind that everyone's fact situation is somewhat different.

For example, Yale Law School emeritus prof John Langbein, an old friend, was quoted in Forbes Magazine as saying, "Whatever you do, don't die in Connecticut" –– where he lives! It's not just taxes.

The really "wealth-friendly" states have so many protections that the really big families have long since parked their assets there in trusts to take advantage. It is mainly Western states that attract them. (I personally favor one trust company in South Dakota.)

For example, many estate planning lawyers believe that Delaware is "the" place to go. It is not, for several non-obvious, dangerous legal reasons. Fortunately, there is a legal process called trust "decanting" whereby one can move assets out of one trust into another in a better state.

One reason that I moved back to the US after 25 years in Japan was that the trusts and estates share of my law practice showed me that recent legal changes made the US so much better than offshore tax havens on terms of investment and security aspects.

Did you know that the US ranks #3 in the world as an international tax haven, after Switzerland and Hong Kong? And far better than any other choice, in terms of cost, flexibility, security, honesty and secrecy. It is frankly unbelievable how much some people can gain from this.

Be careful, of course, about what advice one takes. I am upfront about how I benefit, but many are not. I also am frank about what I know and what I do not. wink

Norman Solberg
International lawyer, lately for 25 years in Japan, now working on trusts in the US, the 3rd greatest tax haven. NRA Life Member for over 50 years, NRA Endowment (2014), Patron (2016).
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by mark shubert
Anjin, where would New Mexico fit in the tax "tier", for lack of a better term?

Mark, it is not too bad. Forbes ranks it as number 14 from the best in terms of state and local tax burden at 8.60%.

(Federal taxes apply to everyone, but are manageable with planning and may get much better under Trump.)

However, the highest NM tax bracket kicks in at only $16,000 (!) and as a poor state, the New Mexico legislature is constantly proposing huge tax increases. (In the past year, that prospect instantly disqualified Alaska from being a favored destination for trusts, after having been promoted for years by one of the top estate lawyers in New York City who wrote its laws.)

Also, New Mexico's laws on trusts and estates are fairly antiquated and there is not a sophisticated group of experts here who can lobby or even educate the state government on the benefits of changing that.

One fact that I view as highly relevant is that the guys at Santa Fe Trust Company (whom I know) recently set up an affiliate in South Dakota to manage their clients' assets and take advantage of the tremendously innovative laws there.

Those laws in SD were actually written by the people I work with. They also continue to tinker with the rules to stay the pack leader, which I expect will be the case for the foreseeable future.

Of course, the greater the net worth, the more one can benefit from using those services.

However, consider that SD is also the place where a major portion of the "Snowbirds" who travel back and forth seasonly in their RVs establish permanent domicile and collect their mail, vote, pay taxes and register their vehicles. That means that a lot of retirees and others find it is worthwhile to put title to their assets there, too.

Last edited by Anjin; 03/24/17.

Norman Solberg
B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by dale06

It is likely that we will move to another state in the next year or two. Are wills and trusts portable across state lines, or would we need to start over in a new state?

Thanks

What state are you going to?

If you move to a community property state--you will have different issues than a "regular/common law" state.

Each state will have a different tax system--like bolt action rifles, they are all the same, and all different.

Here in Oregon-- we have aggressive Medicaid recovery, inheritance tax, and no gift tax.

We also have mandatory malpractice insurance--my insurance won't let me review out of state trusts efficiently. We generally restate the trust instead.

BMT

Last edited by BMT; 03/24/17.

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JoeBob
Mostly. There is a Uniform Trust Code that most states adhere to. There are a few that don't however.

Roughly half have it. The goal purports to make it easy to have a trust mostly take the place of a formal "last will and testament." Personally, I have very mixed feelings about these.

Like many model rules (all of them) adopted at the behest of law school professors, who tend to be extremely liberal, the idea is nice but the resulting interpretations may not always favor what the grantor of the trust wants to accomplish with his or her money.

For example, professors love equity and "fairness." Suppose, however, you have two kids, one of whom is a hard worker and an admirable person, the other, a slacker and druggie. Would you want them always to be treated equally? Go back and read "King Lear."

What if one married a gold digger in a community property state? Do you like seeing much of your own assets going to such a person?

That merely touches on a couple of benefits of a really "trust-friendly" state law, like some of the new ones. Yes, some aspects of uniform rules are okay, but some you do not want. Be careful. frown

Last edited by Anjin; 03/24/17.

Norman Solberg
D
dale06 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by BMT
Originally Posted by dale06

Thanks

What state are you going to?

If you move to a community property state--you will have different issues than a "regular/common law" state.

Each state will have a different tax system--like bolt action rifles, they are all the same, and all different.

Here in Oregon-- we have aggressive Medicaid recovery, inheritance tax, and no gift tax.

We also have mandatory malpractice insurance--my insurance won't let me review out of state trusts efficiently. We generally restate the trust instead.

BMT

Lived in Gresham Oregon a long time ago, for about five years. Beautiful state. I would never establish residency there again.

NRA Patron
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

542 members (1beaver_shooter, 1234, 1lesfox, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 59 invisible), 2,371 guests, and 1,263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,381
Posts18,488,572
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.