Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Tejano
Texas Ebony is another option. I am going to use it with a Honey Mesquite stock for an all Tejano Rifle.

Potassium permanganate and Nitric acid will Ebonize some woods. And lye on others. Or just a black spirit stain, this worked on Rosewood well it just left a little grain showing like Macasser Ebony. Persimmon is a really hard wood used frequently for golf club heads it can have really nice grain too.

Any idea where a guy might find a smallish chunk of that Texas ebony? I have never had a piece in hand. I have used a bunch of different woods for tips and that seems like a really interesting idea.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
there's an outfit in texas that sells it. texaswoodcrafts, iirc.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
[quote=Tejano]
Any idea where a guy might find a smallish chunk of that Texas ebony? I have never had a piece in hand. I have used a bunch of different woods for tips and that seems like a really interesting idea.

I found a turning size piece at Woodcraft. Others we cut ourselves. It is usually a shrublike tree so it is hard to get larger pieces. It makes great knife handles and seems less prone to cracking than African Ebony. It will polish well with no additional finish and is so hard it rings when you take an ax to it. It is in the Acacia family so not sure if it is a true Ebony or not.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Tejano
[quote=Tejano]

I found a turning size piece at Woodcraft. Others we cut ourselves. It is usually a shrublike tree so it is hard to get larger pieces. It makes great knife handles and seems less prone to cracking than African Ebony. It will polish well with no additional finish and is so hard it rings when you take an ax to it. It is in the Acacia family so not sure if it is a true Ebony or not.

Thanks! I am always looking for different, incredible pieces of wood for character... will look around a bit.

Shrubs do often put out very nice wood in terms of stability and fine texture.

True ebonies have fruit like persimmons and are not legumes. Since Texas ebony has seed pods it is a legume. Had to look it up, but found it is in the same family as ebony, but different subfamily and genus.

So they are related, but not really close. Sounds like a neat wood.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Good list here.
http://www.wood-database.com/wood-articles/wood-allergies-and-toxicity/

Persimmon is the only native NA ebony and it is as bad as the other ebonies.

Never thought of wood dust being toxic. Good to know.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Not a lot are toxic, but some certainly have bad stuff in them, most are just sensitizers or catalysts to other issues. Mouse pee, rat droppings, and pigeon guano are far worse under most circumstances.

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Horn makes a very attractive alternative. I prefer it over Ebony.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Customstox
Horn makes a very attractive alternative. I prefer it over Ebony.

How very German of you!
wink

Pretty amazing how they mold horn into about any shape they like for bigger parts. Boiled until soft they run it through rollers and press it any way direction they want.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
A horn tip would be nice.

Is that Chic posting?

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yes, it looks like it anyway.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

708 members (10gaugeman, 12344mag, 160user, 163bc, 10ring1, 007FJ, 82 invisible), 2,718 guests, and 1,287 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,732
Posts18,494,843
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.