Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
FRST Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Hi guys,

I have a '51 supergrade 30-06 and a '52 standard .270.

I've just noticed that the Super has a 'G' stamped in the bolt sear raceway on the action tang. The standard does not have this marking and I'm just wondering if this was an extra marking on the action to denote a Super or if it means something else?

The Super seems very original so I'd be surprised if the marking has been added post factory.

GB1

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Believe you're referring to the Tang Machinists Mark which was not unique to the SG. Several different letters were used....

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
FRST Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by Poconojack
Believe you're referring to the Tang Machinists Mark which was not unique to the SG. Several different letters were used....

Thanks for the reply

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
My old memory is not good, but I think there was an S stamped near the date stamp underneath the barrel.

Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Not all Super Grade barrels were marked especially late ones, most I have owned were marked "SUPER" on the underside of the barrel.

IC B2

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Later SG's ('54-'59) were frequently stamped with a reversed S on the recoil lug....

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Speaking of SG's, I ran across a beautiful 220 Swift today. I asked the guy if it had super on the underside of the barrel. He said he hadn't had it out of the stock in 51 years and a bit reluctant to pull it apart to get a look see. Needless to say, he didn't get my money. Price seemed fair, but I'm worried if it doesn't have the proper stamping, it may be a counterfeit??? The beautiful stock is glass bedded too. Not that I'd give 2 chits about that, because I enjoy shooting them and have been known to glass bed my rifles. Like gunner told me, "I'll glass bed them and let the family fight over how much they are worth after I'm gone" whistle ..... Pretty much guaranteed, the rifle will be on the table again at the next gunshow in 2 months. I'll do a little research and see what a rifle like this should be worth. It may eventually go home with me, seeing how it's a good shooter.....

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Damn right BSA, I have no safe queens, you can have a non firing non cracked rifle, or one bedded you can shoot the piss outta animals and enjoy it for decades.

I believe the mental goodness of shooting, hunting, and enjoying these fine rifles far outweighs the BS terminology of [YOU'RE GONNA LOOSE VALUE BY BEDDING AND HUNTING WITH THAT RIFLE] I don't give a fuggin flying squirrels fuzzy nutsack about money! crazy

Trump Won!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by gunner500
Damn right BSA, I have no safe queens, you can have a non firing non cracked rifle, or one bedded you can shoot the piss outta animals and enjoy it for decades.

I believe the mental goodness of shooting, hunting, and enjoying these fine rifles far outweighs the BS terminology of [YOU'RE GONNA LOOSE VALUE BY BEDDING AND HUNTING WITH THAT RIFLE] I don't give a fuggin flying squirrels fuzzy nutsack about money! crazy

laugh I love that way of thinking buddy. Hey, I missed your call yesterday. I was driving to Vancouver, went to a small town gunshow and ran across a nice supergrade I may buy next time around...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Same here my friend, I was out in the shop very early yesterday morning loading up some 45 ACP, left my damn phone out there til last night at dark, I missed your call too. smile

I tried to call three good dogs Sat morning [you, beretz, and an uncle] for info on a pre-64 264 WM, couldn't get a return bark outta any of you, oh well, I believe things happen for a reason, so I did not buy the rifle.

You may have to spring on that SG if it's a nice one, good luck with the hunt.

Trump Won!
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

164 members (300_savage, 1_deuce, 308xray, 2ndwind, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 18 invisible), 14,714 guests, and 1,138 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,228
Posts18,543,966
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.