Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Redneck and the gang: I hogged out some brazil type of hardwood blocks , scuffed out the channel, added paste wax and lots of water based brownells release compound to the blocks and barrel and cast some accraglass gel in the blocks for a perfect fit. Removed the blocks, cleaned release compound and let it age for a few days, sandblasted the barrel where it contacted the blocks, added rosin, ran some heat from a propane torch - constantly tested with a wet rag until it sizzled, put the brownells blocks on tightly and then hit it was a rawhide mallet and voila - like the Red Sea and Charlton Heston - the barrel and receiver parted! Success at last! Thanks for all the encouragement and kind words. Mel Chung

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've considered trying cerrosafe in a pinch. Glad you won.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by melchung
Redneck and the gang: I hogged out some brazil type of hardwood blocks , scuffed out the channel, added paste wax and lots of water based brownells release compound to the blocks and barrel and cast some accraglass gel in the blocks for a perfect fit. Removed the blocks, cleaned release compound and let it age for a few days, sandblasted the barrel where it contacted the blocks, added rosin, ran some heat from a propane torch - constantly tested with a wet rag until it sizzled, put the brownells blocks on tightly and then hit it was a rawhide mallet and voila - like the Red Sea and Charlton Heston - the barrel and receiver parted! Success at last! Thanks for all the encouragement and kind words. Mel Chung

Amazing what will happen when the right tools and methods are used. shocked

Last edited by WiFowler; 03/25/17.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Glad you got it off. Use a bolt setting epoxy. I Have Simpson Acrylic Tie that comes in caulk gun size containers. Just squeeze it out on cardboard and mix it up, slop it into your blocks and ten minutes later take your barrel off. No need to use release. A few taps with a brass hammer breaks the epoxy off with no damage. Never ever had one slip even on gooped up Remingtons. Dale

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

69 members (338reddog, Akhutr, 35, 01Foreman400, 11 invisible), 1,433 guests, and 799 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,207
Posts18,503,875
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.