Campfire Ranger
It's not his job to make law.

1Minute
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by djs
Originally Posted by Springcove
He will absolutely be confirmed! Even if they have to use the "nuclear option".

The Republicans are setting themselves up for future payback (and politicians have long memories). At some point, the Democrats will control the Presidency and the Congress again.

It is interesting to note that Merrick Garland was overwhelmingly confirmed by the Senate in 1997 with significant Republican support. Yet, he didn't even the courtesy of a vote for Supreme Court appointment. Regardless of how a vote went, he certainly deserved a hearing and vote.

That's what hurt the Dems with Garland. The Reps remembered what The Biden rule was and acted on it. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Is it possible that Gorsuch is just telling 'em (the Libbys) what they wanna hear, though in best neutralist "liberal-speak" as possible - befitting a "wanna-be" Supreme Court Justice?

Last edited by 325Abn; 03/26/17.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by 325Abn
Is it possible that Gorsuch is just telling 'em (the Libbys) what they wanna hear, though in very neutralist liberalist-speak as befitting a Supreme Court Justice?

No, he was saying precedent is settled law, until it isn't (meaning until another case comes along and it becomes obvious precedent must be overturned for XYZ reasons). Just because "abortion" doesn't appear in the constitution and therefore should be left to the states, settled law/precedent states abortion is a right. Until a case comes along whereby Roe v. Wade can be overturned, abortion is a right.

I don't get why this is so hard for some people to understand, other than the fact they let feelings get in their way. This is how our legal system works, for better or for worse.

Last edited by bigfish9684; 03/26/17.

Originally Posted by Bristoe
It's about like this:

"Do you puff peters?"

"Hell no!"

"NAZI!!!"

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bigfish9684
Originally Posted by 325Abn
Is it possible that Gorsuch is just telling 'em (the Libbys) what they wanna hear, though in very neutralist liberalist-speak as befitting a Supreme Court Justice?

No, he was saying precedent is settled law, until it isn't (meaning until another case comes along and it becomes obvious precedent must be overturned for XYZ reasons). Just because "abortion" doesn't appear in the constitution and therefore should be left to the states, settled law/precedent states abortion is a right. Until a case comes along whereby Roe v. Wade can be overturned, abortion is a right.

I'm not a lawyer so i really have no significant education in legal process (other than the four or five law classes required in college).

I don't get why this is so hard for some people to understand, other than the fact they let feelings get in their way. This is how our legal system works, for better or for worse.

I'm not emotionally motivated in this such that it clouds my judgement: Rather, that i am hypothesizing Gorsuch's rationale to respond as he did out of desire to be confirmed as the next Supreme.

If that is truly his approach to interpreting the constitutionality of settled law/precedent I hope he remains as settled on the constitutionality of the 2nd Amendment, et al.

IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
I listened to some of the hearing, and I do not have a problem with how he answered the questions.

He did say that the SCOTUS decision was settled Law, and for him, in his CURRENT position, it is. They are a 'superior' court to the one he now sits on.

I did not hear him say that SCOTUS decisions cannot be overturned.

He did say that preference or deference, is granted to previous decisions, until something presuades or prompts a change.

He also said that he will follow 'bad Law'.. adding that it was not his job to do Congress' job. Congress writes the Laws, the Judges interpret. If you don't like my decision/opinion then you should write clearer Law. He said it was NOT his job to straighten out BAD Law.

He also said there is no place for 'Politics' in deciding, judging, opining from the bench....

What little you can learn from these hearings.... IMHO Gorsuch will be a fine SCOTUS justice and Sen Leahy is an absolute DOLT................

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
I watched this part of the questioning. As I recall, Gorsuch mentioned that it is up to scientist to determine what the age of viability is and that he is not a scientist or something to that effect.

When my daughter was in the Nic-U (SP) I saw pictures of twin girls that were born at 4 months. They were 4 years old in the pictures. Right now a women can have an abortion up to 20 weeks or 5 months. So it looks like there is some wriggle room on when abortion can happen. Also, from what I have read the Roe-v-Wade decision game down to when life begins. Science have proven life begins much earlier than previously thought so Gorsuch might not be the liberal that is feared.

That is NICU an acronym for Neonatal Intensive Care Unit. The part about surviving 16 week twins (4 months) is BS (not your fault). At 16 weeks a fetus is about 4" long and weights about 3.5 ounces. The growth of a fetus is very uniform regardless of genetics - race, gender, ...etc, to about 25 weeks then genetics govern the growth. To place a fetus this size on a ventilator would require an endotracheal tube about the size of a small coffee swizzle stick. The edge of viability today is about 21-23 weeks and about 12-16 ounces. I have been a Neonatal Nurse Practitioner for 28 years and a neonatal nurse for 35.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by Prwlr
... I have been a Neonatal Nurse Practitioner for 28 years and a neonatal nurse for 35.

Sir, I ran EMS for 15 years. Finally quit after a string of "too many dead babies." No longer have the stones to work with really sick or high risk babies on a regular basis. My hat is off to you for your service. Thank you...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by 12344mag
I don't want a conservative Justice! I want a Justice that will heed the Constitution.

We MUST depoliticize the Supreme Court or we are doomed.

This.

In spades.

The Constitution has no political affiliation.

Spot On!

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by muffin
I listened to some of the hearing, and I do not have a problem with how he answered the questions.

He did say that the SCOTUS decision was settled Law, and for him, in his CURRENT position, it is. They are a 'superior' court to the one he now sits on.

I did not hear him say that SCOTUS decisions cannot be overturned.

He did say that preference or deference, is granted to previous decisions, until something presuades or prompts a change.

He also said that he will follow 'bad Law'.. adding that it was not his job to do Congress' job. Congress writes the Laws, the Judges interpret. If you don't like my decision/opinion then you should write clearer Law. He said it was NOT his job to straighten out BAD Law.

He also said there is no place for 'Politics' in deciding, judging, opining from the bench....

What little you can learn from these hearings.... IMHO Gorsuch will be a fine SCOTUS justice and Sen Leahy is an absolute DOLT................

Some folks won't be satisfied unless they have a flag bearer for their personal agenda, constitution and law be damned.

Gorsuch is solid.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by MadMooner

Some folks won't be satisfied unless they have a flag bearer for their personal agenda, constitution and law be damned.

Gorsuch is solid.

That's my opinion too. Plus 1.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Ranger
Online Mad
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by HitnRun
Originally Posted by stevelyn
I'm still trying to understand how abortion and gay marriage affects my everyday life.

How does murder affect your every day life?

Kinda of a simplistic strawman question, but no it don't, unless it requires I have to put in some overtime.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
Campfire Ranger
Online Mad
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by stevelyn
I'm still trying to understand how abortion and gay marriage affects my everyday life.
It shifts the culture in the direction pushed by the Cultural Marxists.

It only affects those participating in it.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
I watched this part of the questioning. As I recall, Gorsuch mentioned that it is up to scientist to determine what the age of viability is and that he is not a scientist or something to that effect.

When my daughter was in the Nic-U (SP) I saw pictures of twin girls that were born at 4 months. They were 4 years old in the pictures. Right now a women can have an abortion up to 20 weeks or 5 months. So it looks like there is some wriggle room on when abortion can happen. Also, from what I have read the Roe-v-Wade decision game down to when life begins. Science have proven life begins much earlier than previously thought so Gorsuch might not be the liberal that is feared.

There's never been a case where a fetus lived prior to 21 weeks.

The majority of states only allow abortions in the first 12 weeks, and most abortions are done in the first 8 weeks.

"When life begins" makes no difference.

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by Harry M
Those who refuse to accept that a Women's body is hers and that the Government has no business involving themselves in the bedrooms of adults....

Are of the same ilk as those who refuse to accept the second amendment.

Being opposed to the courts illegally imposing on an unwilling society a new definition of a ten thousand year old institution doesn't equate to wanting to involve government in oversight of adult bedrooms.

You're under the delusion that "society" doesn't want those things when really it's only a small portion that don't.

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

618 members (1lessdog, 01Foreman400, 1eyedmule, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 64 invisible), 2,379 guests, and 1,261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,081
Posts18,521,825
Members74,024
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.