-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I wonder how many cracks to the skull via Maglite a dog can take before it's retarded?

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
"Who's a good boy? Who's a good boy?" WHACK!! "That's right! You're a good boy aren't ya?"

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
i'm going to kill one in the next few days, it almost came through a fence to attack a buddy, literally knock the boards of the fence...

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by stxhunter
i'm going to kill one in the next few days, it almost came through a fence to attack a buddy, literally knock the boards of the fence...

Every mean pit needs to be shot, just like they always were back in the days.

Meanwhile, if it helps your buddy any, I've had three inbound pits looking to rip up my dogs over the years turn on a dime and run off when hit with bear spray.

IMHO it ain't the pepper, just the whole unexpected experience that flipped the "fight" switch in their brains to "flight", same as it prob'ly does for bears, when it works.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 12344mag
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
People today equate dogs with children. That's why you'll see them referenced as "kids" "children" or"fur babies". Kids don't hold the same place in society they used to. They were inviolable. Yours or not, you protected protected them if you saw danger imminent. As a people we saw children as sacrosanct. Not so much anymore. They get pawned off off on babysitters so mommy can work a full time job. abortion is rampant. At the same time no-kill shelters and animal adoption are growing. People think less of kids and more of pets. It's sickening. I love my dogs, and God help you if I catch you torturing them. But I'd cut their throats and stomp their heads into gravy and sleep like a baby if they threatened mine or someone else's kid.

Only way to approach dog ownership of any kind.

My Uncle Amel had a ST Bernard we loved that dog he pulled us kids around in a sled all day, he was a lot of fun and entertainment. One day he bit a neighbor kid ten minutes later Uncle Amel had him buried behind the barn.

+1 for both counts.

Same deal happened at a get-together at my BIL's house about 10 years ago. His dog bit one of the kids and within minutes he took the dog behind the shop and shot it all while the bbq was going on. He realized he had a problem dog and more importantly he took care of the problem...

IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

"2016 dog bite fatalities ::

Statistical information gathered by DogsBite.org is verifiable1 through collected news reports. Our Fatality Citations section documents each source used in our dog bite-related fatality research." http://www.dogsbite.org/dog-bite-statistics-fatalities-2016.php

"DogsBite.org: Some dogs don't let go.
February 14, 2017
12-Year U.S. Dog Bite Fatality Chart - 2005 to 2016
During this 12-year period, 392 Americans suffered death due to dog bite injury." http://www.dogsbite.org/pdf/12-year-dog-bite-fatality-chart-dogsbiteorg.pdf

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by sse
It was suggested you are playing with fire. I'm not sure if you agree with that, but if not, why did you take all of these elaborate precautions in handling the pit?

I didn't take any extra precautions really, i just don't let my dogs roam all over the place unsupervised. Any dog.

Dogs don't need to have free, unfettered access to the whole world - people need to be responsible. If i wasn't outside, my dog didn't need to be either (unless in the fenced in back yard).

I knew pits needed a more structured socialization so i checked with people i know who know dogs.

Incidentally, i didn't use physical discipline as a 1st resort. I used repeated verbal commands and worked patiently and diligently to teach him - not merely to punish nor presume intentional disobedience.

I love animals and believe animal neglect or abuse needs to be punishable in kind to the human perpetrators. I've never abused any of my pets - though I have delivered an occasional rap on the head when warranted.

This was in the same manner as my K9 trainer friend. The police dog he had that got the occasional knock on the skull had been with him for a couple years and knew what was expected. It was never the 1st (at least when i watched them train together) response.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deflave
I wonder how many cracks to the skull via Maglite a dog can take before it's retarded?

Dave

A lot of dogs have pretty big head start.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Dave

How many did it take for you Dehmocraps to become retarded? Some things just come by it naturally.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Rooster7
"Who's a good boy? Who's a good boy?" WHACK!! "That's right! You're a good boy aren't ya?"

HAHAHAHAHAHA - yeah, he's not quite THAT stupid...

He's actually pretty dang smart. Fer instance, when i get the long-handled lighter i use to get the grill going he knows it's only a matter of time before some juicy chunk of meat will hit the floor just for him...

It's when he's solving quadrilateral vector equations that i get a little nervous.... crazy

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My friend just put his Pitbull down. The dog was a gift from his daughter. Fed well and not abused, a member of the family.

The dog bit him a couple of times in the past but nothing major. The other day the darned thing gave him eight stitches. He said the dog went after him four times in that attack.

When he got back from the ER he took the dog to the vet.

Dan

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sitting here looking at my Boxer, some consider them an aggressive breed. That's a joke. We considered a Rottie, but not with young kids, just too much potential for tragedy. A pit would never be considered, too many flip the switch, and when they go, they go clear nuts.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
N
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by 325Abn
We have a pitbull mix i got as an 8-week-old pup.

I never let him outside of the fenced back yard unless i was there. For the 1st 9 months or so, he would run out to "meet" other dogs walking by and I would immediately intervene (sprinting to engage). He didn't want to "fight", just do the normal butt-smelling stuff.

Understandably, the passersby did not know that hence my instant running out to secure him and apologizing profusely (then instilling hefty negative reinforcement).

However, after nine-ten months of getting his head literally hammered (not literally by a hammer...just my hand), he learned unconditionally I was the alpha. We also were lavish in loving on him - he thinks he's a lap dog..... at 85lbs, he's a bit much!

I had consulted a police K9 trainer i personally know about socializing and training strong-willed dogs. As I had participated in some of their "training events" (I was a bad-guy wearing a padded suit!) multiple times I had seen my friend use some seemingly too-rough discipline on his 105lb Belgian Shepherd (a sharp crack on the head via his 6 D-cell MagLite). He assured me then the dog was OK and some needed a little more "convincing" than others. He just seemed strange, but he had been a K9 trainer for over 20 years and was well-regarded in police K9 circles (he was a well-known trainer in the state i lived at the time).

He encouraged me to have my young children involved in the leash training i had learned from him as well. It was simply making the dog sit if he pulled the leash at all. With the added pronged pinch collar to assert the dog's low position on the authority "totem-pole" our dog learned very quickly who was who in the "pack" pecking order.

It has all worked very well and our "dangerous" pitbull is very well adjusted (we semi-frequently have 25-35 people at our house for my wife's work functions). He is very social and loves being petted (and fed!).

When i am working outside on our never-ending landscaping projects/updates, he will just lay on the and driveway in the sun. If another dog walks by on the sidewalk, he remains sitting and doesn't even stand up.

But all this positive behavior came after a year of (seemingly harsh) head-cracking negative reinforcement of unapproved behaviors.

He is a superb watch dog though. Our neighbors (we share a fence with) have came up the stairs to our front door (when we weren't home) and reported he was nothing but 85lbs of popping teeth and growling/barking.

It took nearly two years for our dog to accept our friends who come to take care of our chickens (and have known him since our adoption) when we weren't home. Now, they board him at their house (they have 3 very small kids) and he protects their house and kids the same as at ours and recognizes them as Alpha's as well.

It all takes a lot of time investment, but is well worth it.

Incidentally, my wife is his "favorite" and he is usually not more than a few steps from her. However, he often shadows me (like now as he lays at the other end of the couch). In fact, if i lay on the floor he will be instantly come over to me and try to lick me to death.

He knows he is loved, but had to learn the "hard" way.

Huh......Head-crack training. Glad that's not on my repertoire.

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Sitting here looking at my Boxer, some consider them an aggressive breed. That's a joke.
That's from the days before any newsman knew there were such things as Pitbulls. Back then, they had to sensationalize Boxers as the lock jaw, mad dog, breed. After that came the Dobermans. Once they discovered Pitbulls, back in the late 1970s, they became the bad dogs for selling papers and attracting viewing audiences for "the story at six." Few remember anymore that Boxers were ever so used by the press. My father remembers it, though. When he was a kid, he tells me, it was always about Boxers killing kids and such.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had my bully from a young pup, trained her to walk with me without a leash in public.
all accomplished by voice/tone and hand gesture. never had to lay a hand on her.

She would get rilled up and ready to drop the clutch whenever we came across dogs, cats
while walking the neighborhoods but she would stay by my side unleashed (or just move to the front)
all achieved through tone commands.

My dog had over the yrs never really tried to get out of the property, times Id left the gate open
during the day, sometimes over night and from what I am aware, she never left.
One day I came through the gate, she greeted me, left it open cause I was going back to the car
to leave again, just had to go to the back door to quickly put something inside.

...As I came back outside, I heard this weird commotion in the street but out of view, i.e.;
woman screaming in panic,muffled growls, yelps... my dog was gone from the drive!...rushed out to
find her attached to and thrashing at the throat of the old ladies corgie laying in the middle of the
road on its back in total submission....I managed to get her off and the corgie got up and hightailed
it like no tomorrow down the street while yelping in total fear for life ..Weird, the thing I vividly remember
most are the tin cans in the woman shopping bags she dropped, that were slowly rolling out across
the road when I arrived.

She also killed an intruder tomcat one night in the backyard.

conclusion: without me beside her -she could not be trusted.

Next account , this dog also grew up from a pup knowing my dad in the same home environment,
yrs later in his retirement he sort of took over care of the dog in the same house and neighborhood.
He clearly didn't have command of the dog like I did , for I would then hear of occasions of how it
attacked the dogs in the neigborhood when he walked her on a lead.

I never ever noticed her show any animosity toward people while walking her on the street, or toward
house guests, adult or child...but the past is no indication of what could happen in certain
circumstances in the future.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
How do you get home owners insurance with a pit bull in the house?

I had three different carriers in my life as a home owner and they always asked i I owned a pit or rottie. Said if owned either of those 2 breeds would not insure me

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by 325Abn

Dave

How many did it take for you Dehmocraps to become retarded? Some things just come by it naturally.

Are you done pretending to have known a K9 handler or are you going to bless us with more bullschit?

Dave

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by ribka
How do you get home owners insurance with a pit bull in the house?

They lie when asked the question.

Travis

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Sitting here looking at my Boxer, some consider them an aggressive breed. That's a joke.
That's from the days before any newsman knew there were such things as Pitbulls. Back then, they had to sensationalize Boxers as the lock jaw, mad dog, breed. After that came the Dobermans. Once they discovered Pitbulls, back in the late 1970s, they became the bad dogs for selling papers and attracting viewing audiences for "the story at six." Few remember anymore that Boxers were ever so used by the press. My father remembers it, though. When he was a kid, he tells me, it was always about Boxers killing kids and such.

In the 80's everybody figured out the maglite-over-the-skull-trick.

Problems solved.

Dave

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
playing with fire

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

598 members (10ring1, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 219DW, 1234, 53 invisible), 2,517 guests, and 1,324 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,201
Posts18,485,216
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.