Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
I would have asked this on KC's CO application thread, but didn't want to distract from that.

Like KC, I've got 19 points for elk and like him, I suppose I'll put in for one of the NW units and hope that lightning might strike, but I doubt it will. However, what is your opinion of which area is the better one to hunt up there? Is it area 2 or 201? Or is there a different one? Area 1 is very small and I've heard it is tough to access compared to the others. Looking for those that have some experience and insight in these areas to offer their opinions. Thanks.

GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I hunted 201 in 2009.Easy access, except if there is mud, but can be rough country in places.

I believe Unit 10 has better bulls, although you have to go back in further to find them. Unit 201's bull average 310-320,although bigger ones are taken every year, not many. The unit is also checker boarded with private land up on Cold Springs Mountain.Not so much on the Middle Mountain,Diamond Peak area.
Probably using a guide/outfitter that has access to the private land will yield a better bull.

I have not hunted Unit 2 but I have heard that since the woman that owned a big section of it died,trespass fees have gone out of sight.

You will have guys coming on saying unit such and such has just as many good bulls as the trophy areas,but they are harder to find. Getting oneo f the premium units gives a better advantage of taking one, but if you are thinking a 380-400 bull you had probably better look else where like AZ or Utah or a priavte ranch hunt

Last edited by saddlesore; 03/29/17.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Thanks, Saddlesore. I knew you had hunted 201 a few years back, so I appreciate the run down on the area. The unit 2 trespass fee bit of info is worth noting as well. Do you know if access in Unit 10 is good or do you really need horses (or mules) to get back in there?

I really don't have a particular size bull in mind, I'd just like to hunt some new country where you have a decent chance at taking a mature bull. Unfortunately, with the number of points I have, I'm kind of in no man's land. Not enough points to have a good chance at drawing one of the premiere units and too many points to want to "waste" them on areas that only take 5-8 points. That's why I figure I'll take a flyer and put in for one of the premiere units and maybe get lucky.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
CO public land bull in 2016 - no guide/outfitter needed. Bosque del Oso.

[Linked Image]

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by test1328
Thanks, Saddlesore. I knew you had hunted 201 a few years back, so I appreciate the run down on the area. The unit 2 trespass fee bit of info is worth noting as well. Do you know if access in Unit 10 is good or do you really need horses (or mules) to get back in there?

I'm not sure about the access,I know there is private land around. A friend scouted for a few years and got dandy bull last year.I started looking into it before my 201 tags,and generally followed comments after that from guys that either hunted one unit or the other or were familiar with it.
General consensus after all these years was that 10 had better bulls. Only word of mouth though.No actual proof.
You should be able to find some BLM maps of the area that show land status

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
CCC Isn't there some special things you have to do to get a tag in the Bosque del Oso?
I seem to remember that it wasn't just a straight draw. But I am an old fart and my memory plays hide and seek with me pretty often.
That is a dandy bull though.Like the color.Is that from rubbing the oak brush there?

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
I happen to know a guy that had a tag for Bosque Del Oso last year and he and a partner hunted extremely hard and never laid eyes on a bull. This guy was a non-resident and traded in a ton of points for that tag. The Bosque has produced some nice bulls over the years, but it is definitely not a slam dunk. Not that any of the other areas are, either, but I think I'd rather take my chances up in the NW, than down south.

By the way, I have no intention of hiring an outfitter if I would happen to draw a tag.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by saddlesore

I'm not sure about the access,I know there is private land around. A friend scouted for a few years and got dandy bull last year.I started looking into it before my 201 tags,and generally followed comments after that from guys that either hunted one unit or the other or were familiar with it.
General consensus after all these years was that 10 had better bulls. Only word of mouth though.No actual proof.
You should be able to find some BLM maps of the area that show land status

Test1328: Supposedly from the advertisement, this web site can furnish land ownership data.I haven't played around with it much though.

https://www.acrevalue.com/map/CO/

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I happen to know a guy that had a tag for Bosque Del Oso last year and he and a partner hunted extremely hard and never laid eyes on a bull. This guy was a non-resident and traded in a ton of points for that tag. The Bosque has produced some nice bulls over the years, but it is definitely not a slam dunk. Not that any of the other areas are, either, but I think I'd rather take my chances up in the NW, than down south.
I know Southern CO a bit and nothing about NW - and you are probably correct about your chances. That Bosque del Oso tag was non-resident - took 25 points.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Bosque hunts better in the later season as the elk migrate out of NM to wintering ground.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

640 members (12savage, 007FJ, 12344mag, 10ring1, 160user, 1936M71, 69 invisible), 2,111 guests, and 1,322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,908
Posts18,479,434
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.