Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Orion2000
FWIW, When I ordered a McM Hunter's Edge stock for my Pre-64 M70 FWT, the lady at McM told me that the rear of the Trigger Guard would be proud of the stock unless I contoured it down to fit. This was due to the thin cross section and more open grip on that stock pattern. Not sure if you are running into the same thing ? Mine is about 2x proud of what you are showing at the rear TG screw. I never notice it unless I go looking for it.

Nearly all stocks for the M70 will need to have the inlet modified for the bottom metal - due to the fact that M70 had at least 3 different styles of trigger guards over the years, so McM. inlets the stocks for the shallowest style. McM can't be expected to know the exact style the owner will be using, therefore the "one-size-for-all" inlet. The owner (or gunsmith) must slightly alter the inlet to allow a flush fit.. On the pre-64's especially - some stocks will require modifying the back end of the trigger guard via grinding/filing, then polishing the area to get a good fit..

However, usually the Remingtons fit better - not needing much altering to get 'em flush.

Last edited by Redneck; 03/26/17.

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
GB1

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I have purchased two mcmillian edges in the past year. Both of them for featherweight barrels and two piece bottom metal. After I read this post I needed to see how mine fit because I didn't recall any big issues when I put the action in the stock.( fingers crossed) I went to the closet and pulled both of them out. I couldn't have asked for a better fit.👍👍👍

Mcmillian did a excellent job on these two! Or I'm lucky...

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
As Aalf noted, there is a lot of variability in the different generations of BDL bottom metal. I keep a few extra on hand for just that contingency. Removing stock material can put the floorplate or magbox in a bind.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thought I would update this thread since I got a couple other PM's from folks with them same fit issues. Well, I wouldn't of thought that factory BM's varied that much but aalf and I swapped them and the one he sent me fits perfect! It is a bit thinner overall and just fits perfect?? Maybe McMillan inlets for the skinny version confused

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mucho better!

Maybe Al has an even skinnier one for mine. grin

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SKane
Mucho better!
Maybe Al has an even skinnier one for mine. grin

I'm down to fat ones........ cry

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Oregonmuley
So I just got this Classic Edge stock delivered yesterday and was messing around this morning checking the fit of the barrel and bottom metal. Its supposed to be inlet for a factory Remington BDL bottom metal. If you take a look at the pictures, the back of the BM sits really high, the rest fits perfect - this is a factory BM by the way. I can live with it a little high but this is a bit much.

I'll likely call McMillan on Monday to ask about this but in the meantime any ideas of how to fix it if I keep it?? Since the front and sides of the BM fit perfect I'm not sure how I could drop down the back of it without messing up the rest of the fit? Any ideas?? They have 4 more of these Classic Edges in stock so maybe they will just swap me but if there is an easy fix I would sure appreciate anyone letting me know how??
Thanks
Frank

I've had the same issues with the pre 64 model 70's original bottom metal in the hunters compact stocks as well. I really wish they would get this right. It's irritating to have to mill down the inletting yourself when it should have been done right from Mcmillan, but hey what do you do about it. They have been told about this issue many times... Still not change...:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

After milling the inletting:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

McMillan treats customers like the ChiCubs treated fans for years, as long as a product sells there isn't/wasn't any reason to improve the product as long as the customers continue to cheerfully open their wallets.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

239 members (10Glocks, 12344mag, 160user, 257 mag, 2500HD, 1eyedmule, 16 invisible), 1,722 guests, and 1,009 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,388
Posts18,469,810
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.