Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
What is a good inexpensive front rifle rest? is there anything better than the Caldwell Rock BR competition rest without going to the $700 Sinclair rest? I've saw videos of the Caldwell rest and it was wobbling pretty bad on the threads.
http://www.opticsplanet.com/caldwell-rock-br-competition-front-shooting-rest-440907.html

Way out of my price range
http://www.sinclairintl.com/shootin...competition-shooting-rest-prod39322.aspx

Is the $180 light weight Sinclair any better than the Caldwell?
http://www.sinclairintl.com/shootin...st-style-lightweight-rest-prod38097.aspx

Sinclair also sell an all purpose heavy varmint model for $300. Is this the best option or is there something else on the market just as good for less?
http://www.sinclairintl.com/shootin...clair-heavy-varmint-rests-prod57001.aspx

I usually use sandbags and have for years but was thinking about trying a better rest if I can find something quality that doesn't cost as much as a good rifle.From what I've seen of the Caldwell on videos,I might as well stick to bags.

Sorry,I tried to do a search but when you put gun or rifle in front of rest you get every thread about a gun or rifle.

Last edited by R_H_Clark; 03/31/17.
GB1

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
look at the bald eagle rest they have at bullets.com for two hundred I dont think you will find anything any better

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by gene270
look at the bald eagle rest they have at bullets.com for two hundred I dont think you will find anything any better

+1 The Slingshot Cast Iron for $165 is excellent.

http://www.bullets.com/products/Plain-Rest-Slingshot-Cast-Iron/BE1130

I mainly shoot sporter rifles and have been happy with the Protektor #1 Owl Ear Front Bag with this rest

Last edited by MCT3; 03/31/17.

"Good judgment comes from experience but unfortunately, experience is often derived from a series of bad judgments"
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
+1

In hindsight I'd not bother with the windage top which took some mods to get functional. Nonetheless, it's good gear. I've not seen anything Caldwell I'd be proud to own. YMMV
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by MCT3

I mainly shoot sporter rifles and have been happy with the Protektor #1 Owl Ear Front Bag with this rest

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Hart pedestal rest, if they're still made. Around 17 lbs., they don't move around on the bench.

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
+1

In hindsight I'd not bother with the windage top which took some mods to get functional. Nonetheless, it's good gear. I've not seen anything Caldwell I'd be proud to own. YMMV
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by MCT3

That is a beauty for sure. My only concern would be on a heavy recoiling rifle that likes to jump out of the front bag. My 338wm is notorious for doing this. That aluminum that cradles the bag, kind of sticks out like a sore thumb. I'd be worried about stock damage...

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I don't know who makes mine, but it's solid as hell and fairly heavy. My old one was very light. I think it is made from cast aluminum. Sold by Hoppe's. You can also find these (under a different manufacture name) at big 5 sporting goods for about $40.00:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I've shot some pretty decent groups from this old rest....

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The Sinclair rests are made in the USA. That would do it for me.

I use a Ransom Rifle Master with qc bag plate and windage adjustment plate. I picked it up several years ago, like new on Ebay.

There happens to be one on there now. It looks to have all the bells and whistles.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/282416982563

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have no use for a "rifle rest" by Caldwell or anyone else. Too much baggage for a range trip. I have always used sand bags, but I am going with kitty litter to reduce weight. I will add that bench shooting for me is only to sight in or check sights.

As to adjustable front mounts, one of the best that I ever saw was made by another old fart. A scissors car jack from a wrecking yard with a small wheel attached to adjust height, and a shallow metal tray on top to hold the leather eared bag. Sand bags under the back.

Best,

Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Here's one that doesn't get much press but seems it'd work, sans clamping. Pretty light though.

http://protektormodel.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=9&products_id=32

[Linked Image]

--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jt402
As to adjustable front mounts, one of the best that I ever saw was made by another old fart. A scissors car jack from a wrecking yard with a small wheel attached to adjust height

Who the fugg you calling an old fart?......grin

[Linked Image]

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thats what I use Boomer.. Simplicity at it's finest.. Made in USA!

Shoots tiny groups too. wink

G

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Caldwell Rock for $75 works just fine. Replace the nylon POS bag with leather.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Laugh if you want, but I'm a simple man that really likes simple designs that just plain work.

This is the handiest thing I've made in a while. Completed in 15 minutes and it cost me zero dollars. A rock solid front rest that works really well for me on the bench.

Scrap piece of 2x6 cut into three 12" long pieces. Cut the top piece in half, cut the end of each half at a 45. Screwed the boards together and glued a scrap piece of carpet on the bottom, and glued carpet where the gun rests in the V.

I can grab it by one hand and toss it wherever I want in the truck, and when I pick it up it's ready to serve it's purpose.

[Linked Image]

One is alone in a land so vast, there is only the mountains, the wind, and the eyes of God.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Here's one that doesn't get much press but seems it'd work, sans clamping. Pretty light though.

http://protektormodel.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=9&products_id=32

[Linked Image]

That one would work just fine. Kind of similar to one I posted, made by hoppe's... I've used sand bags too, but prefer the front rest and rear bag.. To each their own...

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by ShadeTree
Laugh if you want, but I'm a simple man that really likes simple designs that just plain work.

This is the handiest thing I've made in a while. Completed in 15 minutes and it cost me zero dollars. A rock solid front rest that works really well for me on the bench.

Scrap piece of 2x6 cut into three 12" long pieces. Cut the top piece in half, cut the end of each half at a 45. Screwed the boards together and glued a scrap piece of carpet on the bottom, and glued carpet where the gun rests in the V.

I can grab it by one hand and toss it wherever I want in the truck, and when I pick it up it's ready to serve it's purpose.

[Linked Image]

Ingenious. Kind of like huntsman's rest. Should work great, but would look funny during those hunting rifle centerfire competitions. However, I've seen many cool set-ups in that respect. One of the coolest rests was actually home made from one of the guys at the club. I've actually been thinking about building myself one..

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

[Linked Image]

Ingenious. Kind of like huntsman's rest. Should work great, but would look funny during those hunting rifle centerfire competitions. However, I've seen many cool set-ups in that respect. One of the coolest rests was actually home made from one of the guys at the club. I've actually been thinking about building myself one..

You could use two pieces of all thread and epoxy a couple of nuts into the bottom board so you could adjust height and level. Weld a T handle to the top of the bolts.

Last edited by R_H_Clark; 04/01/17.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
As seen at the Portland Expo. So you can use your rear as your front Portlandia style.

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

--- Kid Rock 2022

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark

I usually use sandbags and have for years but was thinking about trying a better rest if I can find something quality that doesn't cost as much as a good rifle.From what I've seen of the Caldwell on videos,I might as well stick to bags.

Never seen the jitters with a Caldwell and sandbag set up, however there is always a first time.

[Linked Image]

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

[Linked Image]

You could use two pieces of all thread and epoxy a couple of nuts into the bottom board so you could adjust height and level. Weld a T handle to the top of the bolts.

My bench shooting consists of testing out reloads for groups at 100 yds with the target slightly higher than level off the bench, so with a little adjustment of sandbags on the rear, and/or sliding the gun slightly front or back in this rest, it's never difficult to get the cross hairs on target. Once locked on target this thing is solid as you could ask for up front.

I like your idea though......pack it in solid on the stock and adjust it up front. Long as those feet wouldn't take away from the overall stability of the rest, I'd be all for it.

One is alone in a land so vast, there is only the mountains, the wind, and the eyes of God.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by huntsman22
Originally Posted by jt402
As to adjustable front mounts, one of the best that I ever saw was made by another old fart. A scissors car jack from a wrecking yard with a small wheel attached to adjust height

Who the fugg you calling an old fart?......grin

[Linked Image]

Don't know how I missed this before. Other than probably a weight difference with mine, I like it. Adjustable, cost effective, and simple enough to do. Well done sir.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

600 members (10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 1OntarioJim, 1lessdog, 160user, 007FJ, 76 invisible), 2,403 guests, and 1,310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,151
Posts18,484,245
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.