Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I have a Capitol One CC account I don't use. Haven't used it in over 3 years, when I was issued a new card I cut it up immediately so I don't even have it.
Anyway, got a notice from Capitol One that they are going to close the account May 29th if I don't use the card. As far as my credit score goes would it be best to close the account myself first or does it just not matter?

"do not duplicate"
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I would make an effort to keep the account if possible. Handy to have if the motor falls out of ones rig 3,000 miles from home.

Also a different card/account just in case one gets hacked.

Last edited by 1minute; 04/01/17.

1Minute
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
To answer your question, it does not matter.

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Get a new card. Charge a little something,

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If that's your only card, keep it. Ask for a replacement card on the same account.

If it's not your only card, it doesn't matter, but I would request in writing for it to be cancelled.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
If you want to keep it put tank of gas or a steak something on it once a month or so and then just pay it off. Not complicated.

Last edited by ridgerunner_ky; 04/01/17.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Doesn't it have a annual fee if so why keep it?

Last edited by kk alaska; 04/01/17.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
No annual fee. I think I will request a new card and use it sparingly. I have two other cards I mainly use because of the cash back.
I quit using Capital One when they took the .gov bailout and then raised their interest rate.
Thanks for the advice.

"do not duplicate"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you have two other cards, why would you want a 3rd? I'd cancel that sob and move on.

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
New cards came along that were better deals and I heard that if you cancelled credit cards it hurt your credit score.

"do not duplicate"
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Age of credit affects your score, as well. If it is one of your older accounts, keep it. Your score is also affected by what % of available credit is used. If you are carrying a balance on other cards, best to keep it, in order to keep the % used down.

Democracy is not freedom. Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to eat for lunch. Freedom comes from the recognition of certain rights which may not be taken, not even by a 99% vote.
*Marvin Simkin* L.A. Times (1992)
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
A large portion of your credit score is based upon the ratio of credit you have vs what you have used. If the card is cancelled the amount of credit available to you is reduced. It could lower your credit score. I have several cards that I almost never use. Once a year I'll buy a tank of gas with each of them, pay it off at the end of the month and then use the other cards as a rule.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
good info

couldn't figure out why my credit score dropped.

every thing is paid for, run a pretty good bill on 2-3 cc's each month and always pay them off.

have had a few late payments over the years, as forgot to prepay while gone on vaca.

maybe it's the cc i was keepin in reserve that I never used?

oh well I'm exercising all of them these days.

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Stop overthinking it.
Cancel the card if you don't use it.

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Get one credit card,use it only when necessary, burn the rest.
Pay cash.

Last edited by TBREW401; 04/01/17.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
[quote=mcmurphrjk]Age of credit affects your score, as well. If it is one of your older accounts, keep it. Your score is also affected by what % of available credit is used. If you are carrying a balance on other cards, best to keep it, in order to keep the % used down. [/quot

This^ request a new card and use it whenever and pay off the balance every month. It will help your credit rating.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you call them, do they speak a language you can understand and do they provide good service?

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
We have one primary card, a Costco card and a Bank of America card that we use only for online purchases using its Shop Safe feature. None have annual fees (other than Costco for the membership), all have some sort of case back/rewards feature and none ever carry a balance.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by TBREW401
Pay cash.
Yep, tahts the best way to get free airline flights.....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by TBREW401
Pay cash.

Bad advice right there. Instead of trying to beat the system learn how to use it to your advantage. Everything is tied to your credit score. If someone has $50,000 worth of credit available on various cards yet owes very little he is viewed as very responsible. Especially if that credit has been available for a long time.

Someone with only $2000 on a single card that they rarely use they are viewed as an unknown risk. My brother underwrites home loans and sees people like this all the time. They either can't get approved for a home loan or if they do it is at a higher interest rate. They've never defaulted on a loan and never had a late payment. But they have no history of responsible credit either.

Your credit score is looked at by prospective employers to determine who gets jobs. Even the insurance rates you pay are based on your credit score.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

119 members (7mm_Loco, AB2506, 673, 264mag, 44automag, 450yukon, 14 invisible), 996 guests, and 1,011 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,977
Posts18,519,886
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.