Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
PADI certified open water, and advanced open water, rescue diver.I was working on dive master rating when I figured out the Instructor was using me to watch the students while he spear fished, letting me do all the work and pay full price for air fills and boat trips.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
Originally Posted by tdbob
NAUI here. Went through the program in 1980 @ Orange Coast College. Diving for lobster in the Channel Islands was a lot of fun. Haven't gone in about 20yrs.

I got naui certified. There use to be an old tank sunk out there.
a guy would crawl in and bang a dive knife. Bugs came crawling out to meet a gunny sack.
about 2minutes of so in a microwave, mighty good.
i later did it for the sheriff's department, dead bodies that kind of thing.
wierdest i think was diving on a D9 cat in about 70 feet of water, pitch black.
i found the cat when i bounced my head off it.

NAUI Advanced Open Water in '87. College sweetheart was a divemaster, then instructor. We dove a LOT back then. Haven't been in a few years.

Almost bent myself good one time accidentally bouncing while cave diving in north central FL. Sick as a dog only. Didn't have to do the tank.

Last edited by local_dirt; 03/13/17.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by JJHACK
I definitely learned some things that I either took for granted or did not know.

One thing is for sure, and I have always been a good swimmer. If you think you're too bad ass for a life jacket go to the deep end of the pool and tread water for 15 minutes, in warm pool water.

It's really not that hard....a lot has to do with keeping your lungs full of air...I could float all day long if need be...but you need to relax...the more you can relax, the easier it is. If you can get back in the pool, go there and concentrate on relaxing and floating. For schitts and giggles, take some snorkeling gear...when you first get there, jump in the pool and see how long you can stay under water...then get on top of the water and try your best to lower your heartrate and breathing, all the while trying to RELAX....once you're relaxed, head back to the bottom of the pool....keep in mind you can go back up and get a breath of air at your leisure...loiter around on the bottom and RELAX...you'll likely double the time from your initial first dive...another couple of benefits in learning to actually relax in the water, is that your bottom time will be greatly extended, you won't tire nearly as quickly and you'll enjoy it a lot more....JMHO

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Many years ago, but got tired of fetching unexploded dynamite and live shunted caps, sometimes under the ice.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
PADI certified in 91 at Pennycamp in the keys.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Got PADI certified in 94 along with the ex...Got to dive Grand Cayman... took dive trips to Malaysia, Indonesia and spent a week on a live aboard in the Maldives off the coast of Sri Lanka. I was lucky to dive with some very experienced fantastic dive masters who taught a ton.....Have not been diving in over ten years but now my Son uses most of my equipment after I had it all serviced.
A great trip to do together but there is a need to pay attention and learn all you can cause things can turn bad quickly, especially in big open water with a lot of current.

Patron member, NRA, Life Member SCI,
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Naui certified in 91 or 92 at Penecamp reef off of Islamorada in the keys. Seems like a long time ago.....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
NAUI in 85.

Okinawa.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Well, she has passed all tests and cleared all the hurdles now but this last one which is not going to be a problem. The final open water dive is this weekend in Puget Sound. She has already performed all the other dives, tests, and checks. This last open water dive now is about 70% recreational with the instructors watching her underwater skills. I am going along to be her "dive buddy" on the trip.

There are 7 people in the class to do this final dive. The water is kinda chilly at 50 deg, but they have good equipment through the dive school. I'm hoping to see one of those giant octopus, I have only ever seen the smaller ones. In the area she will do this final open water test, it is famous for the giants. Some being 20 feet across.

An interesting side note on this. One of my friends has said he always wanted to learn scuba and get certified but it's just way to expensive a recreation. I asked him how much his KTM motocross bike was ........ Ha ha... Scuba is cheap compared to that bike, and many recreational pursuits. It's all about what you're interests are! I had a motocross bike at one time. That was not only expensive but far more dangerous in my opinion too! It's easy to get carried away with bad decisions that happen VERY fast on a great dirt bike!

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good for your wife! PNW saltwater diving is beautiful but cold.

Like you, burned a good number of tanks but never certified. Bought a complete scuba outfit from a fellow who got drafted in 1965 and dived till 1975. Dived with certified experts a lot in CA and learned most if not all of the stuff they teach in classes and more. I did more free diving without compressed air for lobster, halibut, white sea bass and loved it to addiction level. I haven't dived in years except to recover a friend's lost fishing rod from a lake in northern Saskatchewan.

IC B3

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JJHACK
Swim the 8- 25 meter lengths for 200 meters, that's not all that long in a big lake or big river. Betcha rethink the life jacket idea about the first 50 meters with a hella long way to go! And that is in warm flat pool water, not cold water with waves pounding you!

Master Class swims available at many pools and fitness clubs will redefine what seems normal. Life Time is $35/month for two classes per week. A routine warmup during a master class is 400-600 yards. An hour long class will often end up over 2,000 yards, and an hour open swim around 3,000.

NAUI-certified in '75, but I haven't used it in years. I do a lot of open water swimming including a 5-miler this summer - Lake Minnetonka, Excelsior Beach to Wayzata Beach.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Glad things are going well for your wife. I wish her the best and most pleasurable dive ever. If she has a good first one she may keep diving to recapture the excitement of her first.

I just found my card, NAUI Master Diver, '95. Certified at school in NW Cali. Who said get a first open water dive in warm water. Try off the Mendocino coast with +/- 50F water and 3' (yes 3 feet) visibility. 1992, no dry suit, 6 mil wetsuit only. We had a triangle of rope on the bottom we students were arrayed on. We had instructors stationed on the apexes. Supposed to swim down the line (so as not to get lost) to the next instructor for our mask, don-doff exercises. Vis was so bad our lead instructor said stay in place and the assistants would come around to us. Dive buddy and I got two out of three and watched the third instructor pass us by in the gloom. When we came back up at our apex and told the instructor he said he never saw us. That was just the start of my wonderful learning curve. Doin g the compass work for a higher cert off Trinidad head in water filled with wrack was another great experience. Probably a few more exercises in conditions not normal for "regular" certification classes. After a few more semesters/courses I got the Master cert.

Interesting anecdote, after the first semester, as a newbie, I went down to San Diego for a visit at Christmas break. Decided to try a dive boat adventure, went to a local shop, lady there said conditions were poor, water about 59F and "only" 15' vis. I said that's wonderful, she asked where I learned to dive if I thought those conditions were great.

Unfortunately, we moved to NW PA (see the above comments on Lake Erie) and I haven't been under with tanks since about '99. frown

As mentioned by another member, for me to go back under with bottles, I'd have to take a refresher course. For now, mask and snorkel only. Which was plenty on a vacation to the Big Island a few years back.

JJ, enjoy it out there with your wife and stay safe. You more than likely already know it, but reinforce it with your wife if she doesn't...... if something starts to "go south" DON"T PANIC!!

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Going to Cozumel in August. Great reef there. Not reefer, although you can probably find it if you look.

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Cozumel is beautiful. Stopped there for fuel and provisions while helping to deliver a couple yachts from Ft Lauderdale to the Panama Canal. I understand the diving is remarkable, though you can't collect anything.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
All national preserve

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
This. Learn to relax. PADI open water certified around 1992. Haven't dived in years and would not go until I had some refresher desk work and a good bit of pool time. I'm sure there's new tech that I most certainly want to take advantage of. Our regular offshore fishing captain (28 years old) died last year on a spearfishing trip. Don't take diving lightly.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by hanco
Going to Cozumel in August. Great reef there. Not reefer, although you can probably find it if you look.

Make sure you ask em if they can get enough people together for a night dive.

Just like bein on land, you'll see stuff you never see during the day.

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Barkoff
I'm certified scared schitless of Great Whites...don't want to hear how good my odds are...if you are in the water, you have been checked out.

The only Great Whites around here are the Big Helga's frolicking in their beach skirts. They actually glow in the dark until that first summer sun turns them a little pink.

Just don't get caught between a Helga and a snow cone and you'll be safe.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
OW in 2000, AOW 2001

I haven't dove in 3-4 years, but I'm looking to update some gear and go out soon.

"Social order at the expense of Liberty is hardly a bargain” de Sade
"He who'll not reason is a Bigot, he who cannot is a Fool, and he who dares not is a Slave."SirWilliamDrummond
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Yep, night dives are great!!

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

610 members (1badf350, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 16gage, 1moredeer, 10gaugemag, 55 invisible), 3,147 guests, and 1,301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,964
Posts18,519,505
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.