Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
GunGeek Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Since revolvers have fallen so much out of favor, there's many who have forgotten, and a whole new generation of shooters who may never know how wonderful the mild target revolver cartridges are to shoot.

.32 S&W (long or short), .38 Special, and .44 Special probably the best of the bunch. Of the 3, the one I enjoy the most just for the pleasure of shooting is the .38 Special. The cartridge is so mild in target loadings, it's a wonderfully accurate round, and the .38 Specials made by Colt & S&W are just magnificent examples of the gunmakers art. I prefer .38 Special because the revolvers in .38 Special are more ergonomic than the large frame .44's, and they're much easier to find and cheaper than a target grade .32.

Most cite the Colt Officers Match, or S&W Target Masterpiece/Model 14 as the ultimate .38 Special, and those are absolutely wonderful revolves to shoot. But deep down in my soul I'm a 4" barrel revolver kind of guy, so my favorite .38 Special has always been the S&W Combat Masterpiece/Model 15.

The .38 Special is without a doubt the easiest cartridge (handgun, rifle, or shotgun) I've ever reloaded. I started off buying Speer swaged 148gr full wadcutter bullets, but eventually managed to pick up a Lyman 358429 Keith SWC, but the 6 cavity Lee 358-148-WC turned out to be a godsend in making large quantities of very accurate reloads. I also found the Lee 147WC to be VERY effective on jackrabbits.

If you enjoy shooting just for the joy of shooting, an older .38 Special from Colt or S&W is like Manna from Heaven. They are very accurate, have outstanding single action triggers, and generally can be had for reasonable prices.

GB1

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
I sometimes regret letting this one go:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Colt Shooting Master, 38spl. Made in the mid-1920s.

Last edited by Oregon45; 04/03/17.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Nice pistola right there

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
It had the smoothest, most positive, action of any revolver I've ever handled. In a moment of weakness I sold it and have wanted it back ever since. Oh well, I hope it's owner has it out on the firing line and not buried in a safe. It was made to shoot in the days when 38spl revolvers owned the firing line, and it deserves better than to be treated like an investment.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Too bad the 32 Long wasnt a very popular post war revolver cartridge. Everything the 38 has as an attribute besides the obvious popularity is even more so in a 32 Long.

For mild shooting and flatter long range trajectory, 18s, 17s and OMM 22's are even better than their respective target 38s.

IC B2

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Shooting Master/NS Targets are just cool.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
The .32 is still popular in Europe. Lapua still sells lots of brass for it. Very pleasant round to shoot.

All things considered though. The .38 Special is more convenient as far as choices.

It makes for a good day shooting a Mod 14 or 15. Hell, even a Mod 10 makes me smile.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Oddly enough, the 32 S&W likely is more popular in autoloaders than in revolvers these days. Here's a Benelli I used to own, chambered in 32 S&W and made for Olympic rapid fire competition:

[Linked Image]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
That's cool as hell!

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Oregon45
Oddly enough, the 32 S&W likely is more popular in autoloaders than in revolvers these days. Here's a Benelli I used to own, chambered in 32 S&W and made for Olympic rapid fire competition:

[Linked Image]

Great gun. A good companion to the S&W Model 52.

IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Here is my favorite 38 Sp. only problem is they recommend limiting the 38 +P in it's use.
No problem as it's just a fun paper puncher for me.
Colt Diamondback.
[Linked Image]

"The older I get, the better I was"
GunGeek Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Oregon45
I sometimes regret letting this one go:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Colt Shooting Master, 38spl. Made in the mid-1920s.
Oh man, I'll bet you do. Well, most of us have those stories. Consider yourself fortunate that you had one for a while.

GunGeek Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by HawkI
Too bad the 32 Long wasnt a very popular post war revolver cartridge. Everything the 38 has as an attribute besides the obvious popularity is even more so in a 32 Long.

For mild shooting and flatter long range trajectory, 18s, 17s and OMM 22's are even better than their respective target 38s.
Agreed!
That's precisely why I put .38 Special as number one. Target grade .32's are far less common than the ammunition, and the ammo isn't exactly easy to find.

GunGeek Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jbmi
Here is my favorite 38 Sp. only problem is they recommend limiting the 38 +P in it's use.
Colt Diamondback.
[Linked Image]
Yeah, it was intended as a target revolver, not a combat gun. But how cool would it be to have a matching set in .22LR and .38 Special??

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by GunGeek
Since revolvers have fallen so much out of favor, there's many who have forgotten, and a whole new generation of shooters who may never know how wonderful the mild target revolver cartridges are to shoot.

.32 S&W (long or short), .38 Special, and .44 Special probably the best of the bunch. Of the 3, the one I enjoy the most just for the pleasure of shooting is the .38 Special. The cartridge is so mild in target loadings, it's a wonderfully accurate round, and the .38 Specials made by Colt & S&W are just magnificent examples of the gunmakers art. I prefer .38 Special because the revolvers in .38 Special are more ergonomic than the large frame .44's, and they're much easier to find and cheaper than a target grade .32.

Most cite the Colt Officers Match, or S&W Target Masterpiece/Model 14 as the ultimate .38 Special, and those are absolutely wonderful revolves to shoot. But deep down in my soul I'm a 4" barrel revolver kind of guy, so my favorite .38 Special has always been the S&W Combat Masterpiece/Model 15.

The .38 Special is without a doubt the easiest cartridge (handgun, rifle, or shotgun) I've ever reloaded. I started off buying Speer swaged 148gr full wadcutter bullets, but eventually managed to pick up a Lyman 358429 Keith SWC, but the 6 cavity Lee 358-148-WC turned out to be a godsend in making large quantities of very accurate reloads. I also found the Lee 147WC to be VERY effective on jackrabbits.

If you enjoy shooting just for the joy of shooting, an older .38 Special from Colt or S&W is like Manna from Heaven. They are very accurate, have outstanding single action triggers, and generally can be had for reasonable prices.

You ever loaded the plated DEWCs like those from Berrys? Interested in powder & charge.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by jbmi
Colt Diamondback.
[Linked Image]

Colt recommends a maximum Lifetime of 3000 rounds of +P. Same as for as the Detective Special Series Two and Three, which is a smaller frame of coarse. They did not stamp +P on the barrel like they do now. No big deal, use +P only for limited practice with your "business loads" if you plan on using it for that.

I do have the .22 and .38 Diamondbacks. A pleasure to shoot. My hands fit the S&W grips better, but the quality of the Diamondback makes up for it.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by shootem

You ever loaded the plated DEWCs like those from Berrys? Interested in powder & charge.

I'm not Kevin, but I've loaded those. 3.1 gr of Titegroup IIRC but you might want to start at 2.7.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael

I'm not Kevin, but I've loaded those. 3.1 gr of Titegroup IIRC but you might want to start at 2.7.

Thanks for the info. What I'm loading now is 5.2gr of Power Pistol. Don't load them flush with the case mouth but just short of the throat. I SWAGed that load from whatever info I could gather. Also have loaded some with BullsEye but can't check the dose right now. Just curious what other folks are doing.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I shoot both but the 32s are full-on target guns. Very accurate and light recoil. 3 of these 4 are 32s. All are lights out accurate.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

GunGeek Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by GunGeek

No sir, never have. Always cast my own.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

193 members (01Foreman400, 375TN, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 280shooter, 338Rules, 30incher, 29 invisible), 2,054 guests, and 1,002 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,324
Posts18,505,860
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.