-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My 76 year old Mother has it. It's a tough road to hoe at her age.
She pretty much lives on Advair.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

C
C
Had it for the last 8 months.Currently using 2 inhalers once a day. My main concern is to avoid the onset of bronchitis,always dress warm, including PJ's to bed. Hope this helps.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 12344mag
My mother died from it, she was a tough bird and and would not let it rule her life. Tell them they are going to have to be tough and to not let it get to them.

My mother lived a very good life until about 1 month before she died and I've seen others with the disease that felt sorry for themselves and had terrible lives for many years.

I asked the doc one time to help me understand what life was like for my mom, he told me to tread water in the middle of lake Michigan and breathe through a coffee stir straw all day everyday. Thats why the barrel chest develops.

The barrel chest develops due to air trapping in the diseased alveoli in the lung. It becomes difficult to exhale completely and take a deep breath, thus rapid shallow breathing.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I was diagnosed back in 2005 and still going. It leads to congestive heart failure which last I looked the average survival time is 5 years from diagnosis. I plan to make it to 85 and with a blond in bed with me (probably a golden retriever).

Dealing with it, exercise, walk, work all the muscles you can, lift light weights etc. Do not stop! I take 4 vial of albuterol daily and currently using anoro once a day.
Take all meds at the same time daily, first in the morn and later after dinner. They work better when they build up.

Do NOT feel self pity only one cause can you come back and say youj did to yourself, that is smoking other than that you have done nothing to bring it on. Someone gives a person chit about the smoking, screw em.

No fear, no doubt, all in, balls out.

"America"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) too frequently is used as a catch-all type term for a variety of developed or residual pulmonary deficiencies - and the aspects sometimes are interwoven/simultaneous. Some damages are driven by long-term asthma or allergic reactions, others by irritants (like cigarette tar/smoke) or inhalation of dust and/or fibrotic particles (such as asbestos), and on and on.

The troublesome effects can be solely - or a mix of - decreased elasticity (hardening?)in working components of the lungs, lessened functional capacity in alveoli, decreased expansion/contraction, buildup of mucous that coats openings, etc., etc.

There are specific diagnoses for some specific causes and functional problems, and there are related meds/treatment regimens for same. Often the issues are interwoven and complex. The GENERAL resulting health problems have to do with diminished capacity to get oxygen into the bloodstream and through the body, as well as diminished capacity top get rid of carbon dioxide. Usually, the body's autonomic response is to have the heart pump more frequently or work harder in order to maintain oxygen supply to organs/components.

Meds are of differing types, but most fall into the categories of anti-allergenic, broncho-dilator, or corticosteroids to help reduce inflammation and assist with relaxed function. Some dosages combine a broncho-dilator and a breathable corticosteroid - Symbicort is this type. I think that Advair is similar. Separately, a patient may take Seravent and Flovent or similar.

It looks to me like Spiriva (and others based on stuff like ipratroprium bromide) are designed to help relax the larger muscles/working parts - much as did inhaling smoke from burning belladonna in the old days.

Pulmonary distress never is comfortable, and it can be psychologically defeating for many. Continual inflammation seems to be more of a problem than many docs realize.

Those who seem to do best in living through it seem to be those who avoid tissue irritants (even a sudden intake of frigid air can cause bronchospasm for some folks); use the correct meds in correct doses; avoid germs/colds/bronchitis/pneumonia causes; avoid being overweight; amplify oxygen intake (concentrator or bottled) at levels which do not cause the pulmonary system to get lazy; and maintain bodily activity and exercise as much as possible.

Too long, I suppose - but not all-inclusive because there is a lot to COPD.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Here's a good read:

http://goldcopd.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/wms-GOLD-2017-Pocket-Guide.pdf

I used to rep meds in this disease state.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by lightning
Originally Posted by arkypete
My experience with BREO is it's darned expensive and switched to other products. Hot humid weather is miserable, best to stay in the AC.

Jim

arkypete, what did you switch to, and did it work for you?

Spriva and Asmanex Once a day and I'm good. I've found several over the counter concoctions that hit specific parts of the problem. For coughing I use Arm and Hammer saline solution to stop coughing, Claritin (sp) during pollen and mold season.
If I can keep the crude from my sinuses under control life is good.
Hope this helps.

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Thanks for all the replies! A lot of good information for sure.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

132 members (44mc, 3dtestify, 10Glocks, 7887mm08, AussieGunWriter, 35, 10 invisible), 1,453 guests, and 837 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,863
Posts18,497,256
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.