Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
We have a short season in MN and I'm hunting Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.

Both Friday and Saturday look rainy. Saturday morning potential thunder storms.

I'll probably hunt out of my pop-up blind and may not have much competition on my public land area.

Do the toms still move and respond to calls in the rain?

Last edited by humdinger; 04/12/17.

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
As long as it's not a downpour or very windy, you got a chance. In rain whenever I can I'll hunt near a field, see them in the fields all the time in the rain.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
They still move, gobble, eat, breed, etc. It may not be the exciting blue bird day action, but yes, you can still kill them.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by humdinger
We have a short season in MN and I'm hunting Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.

Both Friday and Saturday look rainy. Saturday morning potential thunder storms.

I'll probably hunt out of my pop-up blind and may not have much competition on my public land area.

Do the toms still move and respond to calls in the rain?

In my experience they don't call as much, but are pretty active out in the fields. Actually, I see a lot more game in the open during the rain.

I've also noticed that they'll stay up on the roost a long time. As in sometimes until 7:30-8:00AM. If there is a blind to sit in, I don't mind setting up in a clearing, a hayfiel, something like that.

Camp is where you make it.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Yes, you can hunt turkeys in the rain.
Biggest tom I ever killed in Missouri was in a driving rainstorm. He came in silently to my call, and suddenly appeared near my decoy.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just be sure your there when the rain stops. It's game time then.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thunder often gets the gobblers real talkative, and I've had them get very responsive when the thunder stops.

Steve.

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt
W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
As described above...You can't go wrong hunting fields when its raining or just after. I'm not sure if its because the food they eat in the fields or if it just helps them dry off faster that makes them like the fields better. I love hunting on a "light rainy" day. It isn't like they can go inside wink

Last edited by Wes_D; 04/12/17.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution." -Thomas Jefferson
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Wes_D
As described above...You can't go wrong hunting fields when its raining or just after. I'm not sure if its because the food they eat in the fields or if it just helps them dry off faster that makes them like the fields better. I love hunting on a "light rainy" day. It isn't like they can go inside wink

A couple of other possible reasons turkeys go to fields during rain:
1. There's lots of noise in rainy woods, which diminishes their hearing as a defense, so maybe they go where they can rely more on visibility.
2. Rain might slow the grasshoppers and crickets down more, so it's easier to feed in fields during rain. (This might also be a reason why they use fields more in the early morning while the grass is wet.)

Steve.
Maker of The Northern Scratchbox turkey call.

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt
W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Originally Posted by Everyday Hunter
Originally Posted by Wes_D

A couple of other possible reasons turkeys go to fields during rain:
1. There's lots of noise in rainy woods, which diminishes their hearing as a defense, so maybe they go where they can rely more on visibility.
2. Rain might slow the grasshoppers and crickets down more, so it's easier to feed in fields during rain. (This might also be a reason why they use fields more in the early morning while the grass is wet.)

Steve.
Maker of The Northern Scratchbox turkey call.
Makes sense...

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution." -Thomas Jefferson
IC B3

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
YES I have killed Toms during light rain, heavy rain and thunderstorm downbursts.

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
OK guys... Im going to hunt in a thunderstorm!

Maybe point the shotgun down when I walk out to the blind though... ;-)

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Yes, they don't go to Motel 6 and are still in the woods! I've had a lot of success immediately after a storm.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I once killed an old tom,literally minutes after a tornado passed a few hundred yards from my pop up blind.

The weather suddenly cleared and the gobler came in silently to my calling. Killed him and went home to an angry wife who was afraid the tornado had killed me.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W

..gol dern, Doc!

You my new turk chootin hero.

Id of fled the area. blush smile

Trump HAD the World, ", Trump saw our children, "
Trump saw a way to make a brighter day so he started giving
There was a choice he was making, he was saving our own lives
Its true he made a brighter day for you and me. --Trump WINS 2016
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Doc, got caught in a similar situation once - got a call from the farmhouse telling us that tornado warnings were posted for our area. We were five miles from the truck - just kept on hunting in the thunder, rain, and lightning. Not much choice. I don't hunt turkeys in the rain by choice - if it happens it happens - and they do move fine in light rains.

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I think a cold light drizzle is the best turkey hunting. Keeps the hen on nests and the Toms get lonely fast. Heavy pouring rain and wind make it hard for the birds to hear you and vice versa........

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I remember hunting in a T-storm once, in Pennsylvania near the New York line. The only problem was that while it was thundering and lightning, I was holding a big lightning rod in the form of a 10 gauge single shot. It made me so nervous I leaned the gun up against a tree about 40 yards away until the lightning ended.

As soon as it ended, the gobblers started sounding off across the line. I made them residents of PA, and then sent a load of thunder from that big barrel.

Steve.

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
Rain wind lightning hail today..
2 of us killed 5 birds..

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
I went to a small gun show yesterday and saw alot of turkeys out in the fields! but they were 20 miles from where I hunt!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (01Foreman400, 1234, 160user, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 1Akshooter, 53 invisible), 2,423 guests, and 1,216 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,463
Posts18,489,835
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.