Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
G
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
I have glass bedded over 250 rifles, but only three pre-64's. The first two (shooters, not collectible) I full length bedded the barrel and action and turned them in to half iinch or better rifles. My most recent one is a standard weight 270 that has been "two grouping" since the day I received it. I shoot four or five shot groups when working up loads and it'll shoot two into one half inch group and the other two or three shots clustered into a half inch, two or three inches away. I then full length glass bedded the barrel and action but it still shot the same. This happens regardless of load work up...all groups are patterened similarly.

I used a good Leupold Vari X III and thinking it might be the scope, I replaced it with a Swarovski....still two grouping.

I am aware of the forend screw and how it can screw things up. I took it out and groups improved slightly....but not much really.

Does free floating tend work better on pre-64's? I might consider relieving the barrel channel to see what happens. I'm at a loss on this.

Any suggestions?

Last edited by Godogs57; 04/13/17.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Someone posted some good threads on glass bedding pre 64 rifles in the Winchester collectors forum. That guy's rifles shoot like this:

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I floated all of mine, 30-06, 338 and 300. They all shot better floated.

I took the hint from Bob. Said he never monkeyed around with them too much. If they wouldn't shoot they got floated and bedded. It's worked for me a few times now.

BSA put up a decent example too grin

Semper Fi
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Bedded tang, recoil lug, the flat behind the lug, and about a inch and a half f the barrel in front of the receiver .Everything else free floated.I don't take pictures of groups though

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
I generally float everything but have bedded the fore arm on some Model 70's just because I felt like it. I think they work better floated.
The two grouping is probably not a bedding issue. It seems more likely to be a scope mount issue. Often, when a rifle is doing this, the bases are not a good fit on the receiver. GD

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I generally float mine, from the front of the recoil lug forward... However, some of them have shot well with a small amount of bedding under the chamber. Every rifle is NOT the same and may require a different treatment. You just have to experiment sometimes and find out what your particular rifle likes... Since saddle sore didn't like my group picture (typical cry baby), here's a picture of one of my bedding jobs...:-)

[Linked Image]
Does the paint affect how it shoots? You be the judge. Critique the group I posted earlier for all I give a fu ck...
[Linked Image]

Here's a std. wt. I pillar/glass bed. I also installed a dummy screw into the stock and freefloated the barrel. It shot lights out when done and still looked all original from the outside:
[Linked Image]

I gave EricM's 30-06 std. wt the same treatment and his rifle also shot lights out. In the end, that's what it's all about: How well the rifle shoots when you are done, whether or not you like looking at target pictures or not, that's just the simple truth of the matter.... wink

Here's a glass bedding job on a McMillan hunters compact on a 1957 270 fwt:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Good luck with your glass bedding job Godogs57...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
In my experience, most rifles "shoot better" with free floated barrels. By this I mean consistant groups. All of my rifles are so- except one I'm working on.

Had a 77 that would cloverleaf 3, then go to 5" with 5 shots. Bedded and free-floated it now shoots 1.25 all day long... I'll take it.

Currently fighting a 700 in .243 - It doesn't like free-float (2.5 moa)- but will go .75 if I get the forend tip pressure rght, according to folded paper at the forend tip. Got it bedded down to 1.25 MOA and working...

What I would do with a 70 is bed reciever area and 2 in of bbl, free float the rest. If that isn't "good enuf' , then experiment with various fore-end tip pressures., and bed to best. You can google proceure.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
BSA, very nice work Sir.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Free floating is way over-rated, IMO.

Some guns shoot lights out that way, others don't.

I always start out by stress free bedding the action with the barrel fully floated from the lug forward & then shoot it. If it's good, then you're done & happy.

If it doesn't, then I will start working with shims & will eventually bed in a pressure pad under the barrel, if that works.

In a few cases, especially Mausers, adding some bedding for an inch or two in front of the lug sometimes makes a difference.

Nice work BSA..............

MM

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I've also bedded the barrels on standard pre-64 M70's right up to (and including) the lug and floated the rest, with the lug screw snugged down. It's always worked out very well.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

551 members (10gaugemag, 16penny, 1234, 12344mag, 16gage, 10Glocks, 52 invisible), 2,700 guests, and 1,355 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,459
Posts18,471,217
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.