Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Lets go over the tuning of a home brew gun that ejects 3 feet to the right.

Gas: My guess is that you are on the edge of enough gas with the intermittent stoppages you get.

Solutions: Lighter buffer, lighter spring, check your gas key, lube, gas block or tube issues. I am sure a handful of others.

I may be wrong, I am sure I left a few things out.

NRA Life Member
GB1

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
maybe a worn or light ejector spring too.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Yondering

From his explanation, sounded like his upper was new; he also never said what length gas system he has either.

Could well be something other tan just ammo...............pretty hard to tell w/o more info.

MM

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Lots we don't know here. Could still just be light loads or a poorly tuned rifle.

F
Freddy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by MontanaMan

From his explanation, sounded like his upper was new; he also never said what length gas system he has either.

Could well be something other tan just ammo...............pretty hard to tell w/o more info.

MM

I think I have a mid length gas system.

IC B2

F
Freddy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Lots we don't know here. Could still just be light loads or a poorly tuned rifle.

If the weather cooperates tomorrow I am going to try something to see if I can find a solution to my issue, I have a Rock River Lar 15, it ejects cases from just about everything I shoot at least ten feet or more, it will put 10 empty cases into a 24 inch circle. I am going to take the upper from my Build and slap it on to the Rock river lower, if the cases eject farther then I would assume the problem is with my lower, possibly the buffer spring, if nothing changes then I would tend to think it's the upper, I took the BCG apart and removed and cleaned the extractor, the extractor spring looks fine.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
oil the carrier and inside receiver really well when they are new.... not grease, oil....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Freddy

If the weather cooperates tomorrow I am going to try something to see if I can find a solution to my issue, I have a Rock River Lar 15, it ejects cases from just about everything I shoot at least ten feet or more, it will put 10 empty cases into a 24 inch circle. I am going to take the upper from my Build and slap it on to the Rock river lower, if the cases eject farther then I would assume the problem is with my lower, possibly the buffer spring, if nothing changes then I would tend to think it's the upper, I took the BCG apart and removed and cleaned the extractor, the extractor spring looks fine.
Ejector spring controls WHERE the empty cases land... FWIW.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I like several AA powders but 2520 has been inconsistent and never really worked in anything for me including the 5.56. There are too many choices for me to put much sweat into building a 2520 load.

F
Freddy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by husqvarna
I like several AA powders but 2520 has been inconsistent and never really worked in anything for me including the 5.56. There are too many choices for me to put much sweat into building a 2520 load.

I am going into town tomorrow and pick up a pound of Alliant power pro 2000 and see how it works

IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
This is why we quit it in the 90s. It was 200 fps slower and not accurate all of a sudden, this after we'd shot it for years and probably close to 50 pounds or so of it....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I am going into town tomorrow and pick up a pound of Alliant power pro 2000 and see how it works

While I really like the 2000-MR with heavy bullets, AR-Comp is more flexible across the board with top shelf accuracy.................

MM

F
Freddy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by rost495

I went out earlier today and shot a couple of different loads using the lower from my Rock River Lar 15, cases ejected much farther even with AA2520, went to a gun shop and explained the situation, buffer spring replaced with one that is two inches shorter, will go out and see what happens tomorrow.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I went out earlier today and shot a couple of different loads using the lower from my Rock River Lar 15, cases ejected much farther even with AA2520, went to a gun shop and explained the situation, buffer spring replaced with one that is two inches shorter, will go out and see what happens tomorrow.

This sounds like a rifle spring in an M-4 tube.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
F
Freddy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by kwg020

Went out earlier this morning, new spring did not help, called on a friend of mine who has built a few AR's, we took the Bolt carrier group from one of his AR's and tried it in mine, cases ejected with no problem. When we took my BCG apart he noticed that the gas rings were not aligned correctly, correct that and also installed an O ring under extractor spring, will go out Tomorrow and see if that fixes the problem.

This sounds like a rifle spring in an M-4 tube.

kwg

F
Freddy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Went out earlier this morning, new spring did not help, called on a friend of mine who has built a few AR's, we took the Bolt carrier group from one of his AR's and tried it in mine, cases ejected with no problem. When we took my BCG apart he noticed that the gas rings were not aligned correctly, correct that and also installed an O ring under extractor spring, will go out Tomorrow and see if that fixes the problem.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
OMG, gas rings are about the first thing one looks for. Its so easy. Guess we all failed to think back to bare basics...

Its one reason I never am without a proven totally spare BCG for backup...

Swap it in and all works, you at least know where the problem is.

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
After seeing one run just fine with only 1 gas ring, I have my doubts the issue will be solved.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Gas key solidly in place and staked?

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
F
Freddy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
It appears to be.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

353 members (160user, 17CalFan, 22250rem, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 1lessdog, 32 invisible), 1,895 guests, and 1,074 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,873
Posts18,478,789
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.