Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
I've perused a couple threads on the issue but I've narrowed my choices, mostly due to price, and at any rate new stuff and people handling/using said stuff is happening all the time so here goes.

Want illuminated low power variable to do those things one might expect from an RDS but with some magnification options if/when desired. This being my first foray into such usage I'm not coming out of the gate throwing money around and $600 is the absolute ceiling and I'd be quite happy to spend less. In this price I've found:

Leupold VXR 1.25-4
Vortex Strike Eagle 1-8
Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6 (good prices as the 1-8 comes out)
Burris MTAC 1-4
SWFA 1-4 Classic
Bushnell AR 1-4

These run the gamut from near the ceiling to well under 300 for the Bushnell. An interesting outlier is the VXR 2-7x33. That seems like a very useful scope but wonder if the 2x is a bit on the high side for RDS type scenarios.

Anyway any input (or even other nominations if thought worthy) is most appreciated.

If there's one thing I've become certain of it's that there's too much certainty in the world.
GB1

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Well, I have limited experience with RDS. But I've used the Leupold 1.25-4X VXR a good bit.
First of all, it's dot is not near as bright as those on the several RDS I've played with in daylight. However, the tactical reticle that comes with the scope is really fast. You simply put the circle on top of the target a fire. Your eye automatically centers the reticle.
I've never had the adjustments not move the rifle's zero just what they are suppose to do. No, I have cranked it to the extremes of it's adjustments and back dozens of times.
Last of all, there a significant difference in 1.25X vs. 2X. If speed is very important, I'd say 1.25X is worth having. E

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Just a comment on the Leupold - there's the standard VX-R, and then the VX-R Patrol which has turrets and mil reticle options. I'd be wanting the Patrol version personally.
You could also consider the Mark AR, very similar to the Patrol except the 1" vs 30mm tube. If you don't need the erector travel, I'm not sure the 30mm is worth the extra cost, and I like the green dot in the Mark AR better.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Assuming you talking about a "rapid deployment scenario"?

If so, are you talking about in the house, in the vehicle, in the rural country?

From personal use, the Burris MTAC is a solid scope. The reticle is very busy, the "doughnut" works well in the 100 yards or less range, but the same starts to block too much of the view as the range increases. IMHO, you start having to look around the reticle, instead of through it for long ranges.

Both of the Leupold Mark series listed above are good scopes. I like the green dot as well, but it's a preference over performance.

I have not found the majority of the scopes to be truly a "1X", they are usually more of a 1.point something, despite the label on the box.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I bought my son a Vortex 1-6 Strike Eagle a couple of years ago. It does everything we need it to do. He originally wanted a reflex sight and I talked him into this scope for the same reasons you're considering it.

Both eyes open at 1x with an illuminated engraved reticle.

If the prices are good, I wouldn't hesitate. Lifetime warranty and leaving a few bucks in your wallet isn't a bad thing.

Dan

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've messed with a lot of LPVOs and IMO there are a few things that most people don't consider when purchasing one.

Eye relief / eye box. Having a super bright dot doesn't do you any good if your head has to be juuuuuuussssst right to be able to see it. Especially when you get into the 2-? models this seems to be a bigger issue. If what you're thinking is "I need to shoot this thing fast" then I'd consider eye box and generous eye relief more important than dot brightness. Some of the cheaper models are absolutely horrible with this.

FOV. The more expensive models have a FOV in excess of 100' at 100 yards. That's become the standard that I look for. With a narrow field of view you're going to spend more time searching for targets in the optic. You'll never regret seeing too much.

The Leupold 1.25-4 Firedot is a great optic. I haven't seen a Strike Eagle in person. I've been very unimpressed with Vortex's cheaper RDS, but their Razor 1-6s are great. With Vortex the quality seems to swing wildly with price. I'll echo what AH said about the Burris. The 1-6 SWFAs that I've seen had a crappy eye box, but the 1-4s may be better. If all I could afford were the Bushnell I'd just run irons.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I have a Bushnell Elite Tactical 1-6.5x24mm and love it. I have the second focal plane version but it's also available with first focal plane. I have a couple of Primary Arms 1-6x24 scopes, a gen 2 and the new gen 3. For under $300.00, they are quite nice and the new gen 3 now has a lifetime warranty. I tried the Strike Eagle and it was pretty good but I didn't keep it. I'm waiting to see the new 1-8 Strike Eagle. I really like a scope with 1x on the low end. They are great for off hand "plinking" and close up fast action shooting. I have had many 1-4's over the years, but now with so many 1-6's available and 1-8's coming out I can't see a reason to buy a 1-4 unless it's a real good price on a high end model.

Rich or poor, it pays to have money.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux

Eye relief / eye box. Having a super bright dot doesn't do you any good if your head has to be juuuuuuussssst right to be able to see it.

FOV. The more expensive models have a FOV in excess of 100' at 100 yards. That's become the standard that I look for.

+1 on both comments.

The Strike Eagle is a decent, but bulky scope; SWFA 1-4 isn't bad but it is just OK, not as good as Leupold, on eyebox.

Next scope in this range for me will be a Leupold or one of the Primary Arms scopes; I like a top end of more than 4x as well.

MM

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I would add that my comments were about the 1.25-4X VXR-Patrol.
However, the Leupold Mark AR Scopes are not just 1 inch scopes. They also have single leaf adjustments. That means the adjustments may not move as precisely as those with dual spring adjustments like the 1.25-4X VXR-Patrol. E

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I have a couple of the SWFA classic 1-4's, they are good for the money, ease of obtaining an image is not as good as a Leupold VX6 1-6 that had to go back to the factory as you dialed an inch and it gave you 3 maybe 4 sometimes 6. While many place a premium on big eyeboxes and crystal clear glass, its nice that the sighting device actually holds zero and you can count on it even if you drop it. My Leupold is on a hunting rifle, great application for it, just as bright in my opinion as a Victory 1.5-6 x 42 that I own. However on my serious guns its either an aimpoint or a SWFA because I have found that you can count on them to be "on". I have no idea about vortex, I am still not convinced about them.

IC B3

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
I've messed with a lot of LPVOs and IMO there are a few things that most people don't consider when purchasing one.

Eye relief / eye box. Having a super bright dot doesn't do you any good if your head has to be juuuuuuussssst right to be able to see it. Especially when you get into the 2-? models this seems to be a bigger issue. If what you're thinking is "I need to shoot this thing fast" then I'd consider eye box and generous eye relief more important than dot brightness. Some of the cheaper models are absolutely horrible with this.

FOV. The more expensive models have a FOV in excess of 100' at 100 yards. That's become the standard that I look for. With a narrow field of view you're going to spend more time searching for targets in the optic. You'll never regret seeing too much.

The Leupold 1.25-4 Firedot is a great optic. I haven't seen a Strike Eagle in person. I've been very unimpressed with Vortex's cheaper RDS, but their Razor 1-6s are great. With Vortex the quality seems to swing wildly with price. I'll echo what AH said about the Burris. The 1-6 SWFAs that I've seen had a crappy eye box, but the 1-4s may be better. If all I could afford were the Bushnell I'd just run irons.

Yep.

Give me forgiving eye relief, wide field of view, and a great light.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Just to throw it out there I've gone with the SWFA 1-4. I figured I couldn't lose with them only costing $300 during their "tax day sale" which you might want to check out.

If there's one thing I've become certain of it's that there's too much certainty in the world.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
yep 300 for a working scope that stays zeroed. Hard to believe.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I'm gonna try one of those SWFA 1-4's one day but I'm pretty spoiled to my VX6 1-6's FOV and easy eyebox. Both of mine have held zero and I dial quite a bit with them.

One thing I found after having trouble getting my Firedot to come on was not cross threading the cap. I didn't think it was possible without knowing it but the tech told me it was a common problem. I took it off and payed careful attention putting it back on and I've not had a single problem with it since.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M

For years I ran a 1.5-5 illuminated Leupold on a work gun overseas, as well as using on my primary AR when stateside. It proved to be an excellent choice. I kept it on its lowest setting and used it like a person would, shooting an RDO. Then if I needed to shoot at extended distances or needed to look at something for target discrimination, I dialed it up.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Can anyone comment on the eyebox of the swfa 1-4 vs the strike eagle? I have run the swfa but did not spend enough time behind it to give it a fair shot. I have handled the strike eagle at the counter but not on a rifle so I could not get a real feel for it.

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I had to miss the black friday sale on my SWFA but still am very satisfied with the cost vs product, at 300 bucks it's a steal.

It's the first 1X variable I've had in about 27 years when I had a 1 or 1.5X5 redfield on my old 35 Whelen.

I am super happy with the sight picture when it comes up.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
The SWFA has more scope around the image than the VX6. I am happy with both.

I don't have a problem picking either up and seeing through it. whistle

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the OP is going to find a VX-6 1-6 for under $600.

Were it my money, I'd be ringing up SWFA right now for their 1-4 (aka the "Illuminati") for $299 on their tax day sale.

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have a Vortex 1-4 PST capped on my 3 gun rifle with this reticle:

[Linked Image]

The red circle is good for up close and personal (I never turn it on anyway), but I need fine lines for distance. Scopes like the MTAC cover too much of the target for me and my diminishing vision. I struggle on 10" plates past 300 yards.

NRA Life Member
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

210 members (14idaho, 16penny, 308xray, 2ndwind, 35WhelenNut, 30 invisible), 1,853 guests, and 1,071 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,864
Posts18,478,626
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.