Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Sorry that happened. It's too bad for you and too bad for advancing any more scholarship on the 99. Write them a turd of a book and then tell them to publish it where the sun don't shine!

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
me thinks the value of your signed copies just went up.Sorry to hear of your troubles . were I you i would approach those collectors and carry on with what you planned so the info and pics are recorded . They could then be used in a future publication by another author..

norm

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

wyo1895 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
They covered all the bases. I thought about writing something with a bunch of out of focus pics and grammatical errors. They would turn this down but that doesn't cancel the provisions of the contract. Even if they reject a book I still have to submit any future books on a similar subject to them.

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by wyo1895
Even if they reject a book I still have to submit any future books on a similar subject to them.

David,
I don't "mean" to be a devil's advocate, but did you NOT READ the contract? From what I have been told, Brower ran into similar problems. MANY copies of his book simply ended up in a dumpster. Sorry for your turn of events.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Very sorry to hear this. My wife bought your book for me as a Christmas present and it's been invaluable to me as a tool to document my small 99 collection. I was looking forward to the book on engraved guns as I don't see many and can't afford them.

Best of luck on however you decide to proceed.

mike

Member:
NRA
Ohio Gun Collectors Association
IC B2

L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
OK this may sound crazy but call into Clark Howard. The guy is brilliant when it comes to this kind of stuff, predatory whatever. He can helo you. This isn't the first jar of pickles. Hell, call the show. Clark Howard

wyo1895 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I'm not familiar with Clark Howard. David

wyo1895
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by wyo1895
I'm not familiar with Clark Howard. David

Nationally syndicated radio talk show host who deals in part with personal financial matters....

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
WYO,
What is the title of your book?

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Anyone know the title?

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Alexander Hamilton, John Jay and James Madison wrote the federalist papers under the pen name "Publics". Of course we know that now, but nobody knew it then.

That being said, these guys obviously didn't need the money and had other motivation. The point being, some things just need to be said and some books just need to be wrote.

Anybody that knows what you know could "write" the book. wink

And consider this, there are way better ways to get paid than writing a book. I'd say if money is the only motivation, then let it go. Easy for me to say, but nevertheless, would enjoy the book and sure it would be remembered long after and enjoyed by many after the writer of said book was gone.

Doug Murray's book, your first book and Roger C. Rule's book being perfect examples among many others.

Just saying... wink

Last edited by 99guy; 04/17/17. Reason: spelling

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
+1 on 99guy's idea of letting someone else "write" the book. The effort you put forth should be rewarded. I too would like to see a book on the engraved guns, mostly just to drool over all the great pictures that would be in it. But also to learn more in case I get a chance at one for a bargain price someday.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I guess I can put my pen down and quit writing the Great American Novel. (Y'all would've liked it- 99 toting lawmen, sniping on the Western Front, gold treasure, love lost and found, and the answer to "Why are we here?". Think Hemingway's Nick Adams and Robert Jordan in a James Lee Burke novel.)

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
The first thing I looked for when I got "the book" was what kind of paper was it written on. Glossy thick high quality, magasine paper. The kind that takes good clear pictures, and a book you want to keep for a long time. Aside from the contents, the paper was the most important part. That's probably what made the book so expensive. Dave shouldn't have trouble finding a way to collect royalties on his next book, if he realy wants to write one. I just hope it's on the same high quality paper.

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by jmp300wsm
Anyone know the title?

"A Collectors Guide to the Savage 99 Rifle". Send David a PM, I think he still has a few he will sign for you. You can go to the on line auction sites also, Joe.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
wyo1895 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Was real busy yesterday and didn't get back on the forum last night.
I have about 70 copies left. I sign, number and inscribe them to the buyer. I'm in the 430 number range and when I hit 500 I won't be numbering them but will sign and inscribe. Send $65 for the cost of the book and shipping to: David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. You can get it cheaper on Amazon but it will not be signed, etc. My royalty is about $1.61 from Amazon sales. I make more on my personal sales.
I wrote the book because I wanted to, not to make money. The publisher really teed me off by discounting a large portion of their sales just enough that the discount was paid for by the reduction of the amount of my royalty payment. The 3% reduction cost them nothing and reduced my payment by more than 50%. I am bound by the contract on the first book for the next two "works" I write on a "similar" subject. I am not going to let that publisher publish the next book. They are greedy jerks. The editing was ridiculous and their marketing people didn't contact any of the retailers I recommended. They did do a good job on the book as far as quality goes. I would like to write the next book and don't care if I recoup all my expenses. I just can't see letting the publisher walk all over me now that I know what they are up to.
I just reread my first post. I'm repeating myself something we old people do.

wyo1895
[email protected]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
David,
Don't worry about repeating. If you can prevent just one other person from getting ripped off it is well worth repeating over and over.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
How hard to submit "two "works" I write on a "similar" subject." before the book on Savage engraving?

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
David, if the contract locks in right of first refusal, maybe it doesn't lock in the terms and conditions of the royalty terms on future books . If not, the terms might be negotiable, and your new terms would be so high they would refuse. Once refused, I would think you would be free to shop it.

Last edited by KeithNyst; 04/18/17.
wyo1895 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
You may have something there Keith.

wyo1895
[email protected]

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

603 members (1234, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 56 invisible), 2,404 guests, and 1,151 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,584
Posts18,510,986
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.