Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Throwing a hand full of 22 rounds in the campfire livens things up....grin

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Breakfast food in a flannel sleeping bag sounds tame, but that was scout camp.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Elk hunt on a friends ranch back in the 70's. Hired hand thought he would be funny and come in the dark to our camp and steal the horses.

Somebody thought it might be a bear or a cat making the horses move around and let go with a couple of Win. Mag rounds into the trees above the horses. The hired man ran into the dark screaming "don't shoot, don't shoot!" Hit a tree in the dark. Them tables got turned.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You guys are lightweight, I say-lightweights! Not one mention of a good ol' fashioned snipe hunt! Several newbies in our camp have made the long walk to camp after being dropped off at the end of a logging road with a burlap sack and a whistle, and told to blow the whistle to lure in the wily snipe.

Another good story-our camp and the guys next to us used to have a friendly competition to see who could have the first buck hanging on opening morning. Dad and one of the guys next door both used to hunt up above camp, and fairly close to each other, and one or the other usually was first back in with a buck. One year dad dropped a spiker at first light on the first morning. His shot ran another buck right past the guy from the camp next door, and he dropped it too. Dad heard the shot, and knew the neighbor had one down. The race was on to gut the deer and see who could hoist theirs first. Both guys came down off the top of the mountain, within sight of each other, but Dad was about 100 yards behind his buddy from next door. No problem-he faced the deer head first down the hill, sat on it, grabbed the antlers to lift the head off the ground, and literally rode it down the hill. For years they talked about the crazy redneck sled riding down the mountain on a dead buck.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Someone packed a life size cardboard cut-out of a moose 2 miles in, then one night, another half mile down the meadow in the dark to position it 200 yards from my partner's stand where he would see it as it got light.

Woods are full of hooligans!

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I always arrived before BIL. Placed a dozen flamingos around his stand. He was not happy at daybreak.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
Throwing a hand full of 22 rounds in the campfire livens things up....grin

So do buckeyes. And if you're about 8 years old and find out they 'explode' and send out some shrapnel in the campfire you just don't stop. But you wait until the dads are good and drunk before tossing a few on the fire! Makes things lively.

Originally Posted by Bristoe
It's about like this:

"Do you puff peters?"

"Hell no!"

"NAZI!!!"

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Well this is more of a fishing camp prank, but it was funny, and I'm one of the suckers that fell for it. We sort of have a family reunion, with a few friends of family thrown in a few times each summer. It's usually way back in somewhere where you need 4x4 to get to, and there's always a crick, usually different ones where we ain't been for a while.

Like here we are . . .

[Linked Image]

Well my cousin, Charlie, had taken some old brass and melted little drops from it and, unknown to anybody else, sprinkled a little along the edge of the crick right by camp. Nobody noticed for a day or two, but once they did, and word got out, there were people in the water trying to pan gold in frying pans, people staking micro-claims(you stay on that side of this rock and I'll stay on this side), and people talking like they had won the lottery. Charlie would sit in a lawn chair smiling and not even looking for nuggets till we figured it out.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
One stunt I've heard of for deer camp, is the "deer call horn". Every nubee is to start the first hunt, by blowing that horn as loud as he can. Tradition says, the louder the blast, the bigger the buck who hears it.
The thing is, that horn is bent to face the bell at the musician. And he has no idea it has been filled with flour.....lol

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I cannot take credit for this one. I read it here before.

A guy takes one of those plastic worm bait containers and removes most of the dirt but keeps worms in there. Guy replaces dirt by taking a dump in container and mixing it up and gives container to brother. Goes fishing and asks brother to dig out a few worms for him.

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Had a couple of buddies come to the NM ranch for some coyote hunting.

We had an old adobe house that was at the headquarters everyone stayed in. Problem was, it was drafty, and rattlesnakes would come in frequently. I'd killed like 3 big rattlers in that house... And I made sure to show them the pics. wink

I knew none were in the house because I checked before they got there... but I did have an electronic caller that had "rattlesnake rattles" as a sound on it.

After supper, I put that caller under one of the beds the guys were staying in.

Waited for about 15 minutes after they turned out the lights and then used my remote control to turn on the caller already set to play the rattler sounds... grin

Things got pretty lively pretty quickly. shocked

I let them holler for a minute or two, then went and turned the light on.... The guy that was sleeping on bed that had the caller was on a big table about 10 feet from the bed. I asked him how he got there?

He said he jumped. In the dark....
laugh laugh

They were kinda relieved and kinda pissed when I reached under the bed and pulled my caller out... They could take a joke though.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I don't like them, hunting is fun but can get very serious, jack-fuggin around with guns, alcohol [after the hunt] and spooled up emotions present is not a good idea.

Leave the damn jokes for the house.

Trump Won!
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by gunner500
I don't like them, hunting is fun but can get very serious, jack-fuggin around with guns, alcohol [after the hunt] and spooled up emotions present is not a good idea.

Mostly the guys I hunt with are light hearted, and not wrapped that tight.

The ones that can't take a joke don't make the cut. It ain't worth it...

If anyone has ever spent time in a hunting camp with a stick in the mud, you know what I'm talking about. wink

One thing I won't tolerate in hunting camp is a drunk, though.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I know what you mean, but, I'm there to kill first and foremost, either for meat or depredation/pest control, after that, light hearted relaxation with a good bottle of Scotch and Cigars is fine with me.

Good grub don't hurt a damn thing either.

Trump Won!
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Nothing like a good camp cook to improve dispositions after a cold, wet, unsuccessful hunt... smile

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger

Geez Grandma, we were having a good time until you showed up.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S

You've got to know your audience but I agree about leaving guns and alcohol out of it.

We used to hide the bucks we'd kill from each other, and let the other guy stumble over 'em. Once I got a nice one and stashed it with the firewood under the tarp. My bud got back to camp and asked if I'd seen any and of course, I said "no, why don't you grab a couple logs for the fire?"

This wasn't really a joke, but it was funny as hell. I was hunting with a bud and we each had our own tent. I got up in the middle of the night to take a piss and there was a skunk messing with our dirty dinner dishes by the fire pit. So I started lobbing pieces of firewood at it to chase it away, I guess it made quite the racket. It ran off, so I took a leak and once it got quiet I heard my buddy say in a real tentative voice "....is that you?" When I said yes, he came flying out of the tent, said "you scared the sh** out of me, I thought it was deliverance all over again!" I laughed until I cried.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
God bless Texas. One more reason NOT to go hunting with drunks and dangerous associates. You'd get shot on a lease. gunner500 is right.

Last edited by agazain; 04/21/17.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Get shot on a lease for what? A harmless prank?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
One of the funniest things I ever saw in camp wasn't a joke.

There were several leases that had a central camp on a large ranch because it had water and electricity. Made for interesting times, for sure.

The area had LOTS of rattlesnakes. Most days a guy would bring in a huge rattler he'd killed.

Before daylight one morning, folks were stirring, getting ready to out hunting...

One guy went out to the bushes to take care of his morning business..

A short while later, that guy went to screaming and hollerin' to beat the band. Hell, we all thought he'd been snake bit.

About a half dozen of us grabbed a light, and headed his way.

When we got there, we all got the same shock HE had gotten... (Only his was worse)

He settled in to take a crap, and finished. When he pulled his camo bib overalls back on, and threw the back bib with suspenders over his shoulder, he got hit in the back of the neck by his own crap.... He'd crapped on his overalls and didn't know it til it hit him in the back of the neck... shocked laugh

sick

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

402 members (10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 160user, 163bc, 12344mag, 1lesfox, 36 invisible), 1,996 guests, and 1,127 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,245
Posts18,486,121
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.