Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I'm just not able to get behind anymore wilderness. I can't hit every access point to Washingtons wilderness if I went every weekend for 5 year straight. We MUST be able to manage forests and wilderness designation eliminates that.

I can get behind state losing control to the fed on timberland. ....but the free reign of individual ranger districts doesn't turn my crank. What's totally accepted in the Coeur d alene district just a few miles from the Colville is completely illegal in the Colville. When you give a few people reign over more than a million acres, it won't end well.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
GB1

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Far north Idaho with my youngest.

[Linked Image]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Looks like Paradise!

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Our Chapter is made up of serious hunters ,there is no hidden agenda, ulterior motive or conspiracy of any kind.Just attend a meeting. BHA is a hunting and fishing organization period ..and if you doubt this statement..just attend and listen to what is said. There is no great left wing attempt to take over anything. It is just a voice for those who want to leave a legacy of the wild ,unroaded landscape for the future...huntable land.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Just a general comment from one who is ignorant of BHA but who knows how various designated, western, public lands are used by ranchers for grazing, etc. -- what I have always thought was an utmost absurdity is public land that been allowed to be made inaccessible or mostly so by one or various surrounding private concerns. Doesn't that in effect become their own "back forty" playground?

It seems any land open to public hunting, fishing, snowmobiling, etc. should by right of domain have reasonable access to it for its designated-use purposes even though landlocked by privately owned ground.

I don't remember the when or where details but the example that sticks with me is the guy who had to have his bull elk airlifted out over private ground with a helicopter.

IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I agree that there "should be" access but again, you're depending on the largesse of the landowner to permit it.

If it's my land, no one is going to tell me who I need to let cross it, or for what reasons. If the USFS or anyone else wants public access, they can persuade a landowner to give or sell them a right-of-way, or stay off private land.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Certainly a landowner would be generous in allowing access but my point is it shouldn't come to that should it?

The USFS or other government entity should have provided -- bought -- that access even at above fair market value to ensure it. To otherwise name land "public" that is landlocked without any access other than from above is a farce.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Nah, you just need a helicopter to get your elk out.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

Just a general comment from one who is ignorant of BHA but who knows how various designated, western, public lands are used by ranchers for grazing, etc. -- what I have always thought was an utmost absurdity is public land that been allowed to be made inaccessible or mostly so by one or various surrounding private concerns. Doesn't that in effect become their own "back forty" playground?

It seems any land open to public hunting, fishing, snowmobiling, etc. should by right of domain have reasonable access to it for its designated-use purposes even though landlocked by privately owned ground.

I don't remember the when or where details but the example that sticks with me is the guy who had to have his bull elk airlifted out over private ground with a helicopter.

There are a few re-entrant (landlocked) tracts like that.

Mostly, they occurred because the land was open to homesteading, and the land around the tracts became private property after being proved up on.

These tracts can be accessed with permission from a surrounding land owner. (or not)

Far more common are large parcels of BLM or US Forest that have had access roads closed to public travel, and the easiest way to access them is through someone's private property that adjoins it.

I had such a property in the mountains in NM. The forest service had closed at least two roads that gave access to 10's of thousands of acres. My place bordered one of the prime elk hunting areas of the forest there.

I didn't let the public access it through my property. Mainly because I didn't want to deal with them coming and going through my land day and night, several times a year.

I even had major trouble with one guy that showed up DEMANDING that I let him cross. He even told me I HAD to let him cross... mad

"Nope. I don't. Get your ass off my property NOW, before I have you arrested. And don't come back."

I did let a few good guys through with the right attitudes, though. Helped some hunters that were in trouble many times. Even took my horses and packed out an elk a guy shot that would have spoiled if he didn't get it out that way, and had to go around.

There was a plan to sell off landlocked parts of national forest a few years ago. They compiled a list of them, and were to auction them off, so that the properties could be put on the tax rolls, and become useful again.

But, some organizations rallied and blocked that sale.

Wonder who that was?

Now, it still sits there, useless and inaccessible.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Here in Washington we have done land swaps to make those land locked pieces accessible. There is NO shortage of land to hunt here......until you let the wind farms tie it up. They set up on prime land and then lock out the hunters.

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by high_country_
Here in Washington we have done land swaps to make those land locked pieces accessible.

Those get blocked too.

Who does the blocking?

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

There are a few re-entrant (landlocked) tracts like that.

Mostly, they occurred because the land was open to homesteading, and the land around the tracts became private property after being proved up on.

These tracts can be accessed with permission from a surrounding land owner. (or not)

Far more common are large parcels of BLM or US Forest that have had access roads closed to public travel, and the easiest way to access them is through someone's private property that adjoins it.

I had such a property in the mountains in NM. The forest service had closed at least two roads that gave access to 10's of thousands of acres. My place bordered one of the prime elk hunting areas of the forest there.

I didn't let the public access it through my property. Mainly because I didn't want to deal with them coming and going through my land day and night, several times a year.

I even had major trouble with one guy that showed up DEMANDING that I let him cross. He even told me I HAD to let him cross... mad

"Nope. I don't. Get your ass off my property NOW, before I have you arrested. And don't come back."

I did let a few good guys through with the right attitudes, though. Helped some hunters that were in trouble many times. Even took my horses and packed out an elk a guy shot that would have spoiled if he didn't get it out that way, and had to go around.

There was a plan to sell off landlocked parts of national forest a few years ago. They compiled a list of them, and were to auction them off, so that the properties could be put on the tax rolls, and become useful again.

But, some organizations rallied and blocked that sale.

Wonder who that was?

Now, it still sits there, useless and inaccessible.

I fully appreciate your approach and wouldn't expect any land owner to give carte Blanche access to the public. My point is it's not your responsibility but rather the land's governing body it seems to me.

It's good of you to help folks out who don't give you the entitled approach and to those who genuinely appreciate it.

If it's a scenario that develops over time which most of these cases are probably the result of I would hold the governing body responsible to obtain that access as in find and fund a way.

BTW, can I come by next fall? 😀

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I fully appreciate your approach and wouldn't expect any land owner to give carte Blanche access to the public. My point is it's not your responsibility but rather the land's governing body it seems to me.

I surely agree with you!

All that land had plenty of access for over 100 years.

Then the USFS closed two roads used to access it.

They KNEW it was going to severely limit access.

They don't WANT you going in there.

They accept that a few "back country hunters" will walk or pack in, but by and large, the area is closed to the public.

That philosophy of road closure has caught on like wildfire with the new management philosophies more recent management with USFS & BLM have.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
BTW, paperwork is coming for the sale of the property in the mountains.

You can come hunt at the ranch here in Texas though, and glad to have ya! smile

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bureaucrats creating their own little fiefdoms running counter to "original intent."

I've never been to Tx other than routing through Houston. A lot of photo's I've seen here and elsewhere seem to show the brush country is similar to Namibia.

Would love to hunt hogs and particularly nilgai. Well, other stuff too. 😏 Aoudad, as a poor man's sheep hunt looks challenging and as table fare I hear they rate right up there with spoiled crow. 😳

Edit: my apologies for the detour.

Last edited by George_De_Vries_3rd; 04/22/17.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Here in Washington we have done land swaps to make those land locked pieces accessible.

Those get blocked too.

Who does the blocking?

The land swaps took the sections from a checkerboard to continous pieces. Access is pretty good.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Those get blocked too.

Who does the blocking?

The land swaps took the sections from a checkerboard to continous pieces. Access is pretty good.

In most cases, it improves things all around.

There are those that protest any land swaps and want to leave things as they are, though.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There's a lot more to those land swaps than the public is generally told.
Consolidation of ownership does make a certain amount of sense, the question is the price paid. The Lochsa land swap proposal was a bad deal, a speculative buy of railroad checkerboard by Tim Blixseth (one of his entities, anyway) with the hopes and plans of a big trade at bigger profit, basically well-above-market.
I don't have a problem with FMV swaps, but when 300 buck an acre mowed off garbage goes to "the public" for 1,400 dollars and above -- that's plain wrong.
And it's also wrong for the megabuck players out there to propose swaps that just consolidate the "kings' forest" kind of arrangements -- that's what drove the Wyoming deal, a desire for raw advantage.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

I surely agree with you!

All that land had plenty of access for over 100 years.

Then the USFS closed two roads used to access it.

They KNEW it was going to severely limit access.

They don't WANT you going in there.

They accept that a few "back country hunters" will walk or pack in, but by and large, the area is closed to the public.

That philosophy of road closure has caught on like wildfire with the new management philosophies more recent management with USFS & BLM have.

rockinb,

Seems you know what's going on there,

May I ask if you know the "official" reason for the closing of those roads?

Were they failing and impacting fish habitat?

Mostly unused except in hunting season and the forest/blm district had no money in the budget for maintenance?

Generally, the forest/blm has public input on these type of things, at least a comment period. Do you know if they did and what the majority of the comments related to?

If they (NFS/BLM) don't want people in there, they usually have a reason.

Thanks,
Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Valsdad

rockinb,

Seems you know what's going on there,

May I ask if you know the "official" reason for the closing of those roads?

Were they failing and impacting fish habitat?

Mostly unused except in hunting season and the forest/blm district had no money in the budget for maintenance?

Generally, the forest/blm has public input on these type of things, at least a comment period. Do you know if they did and what the majority of the comments related to?

If they (NFS/BLM) don't want people in there, they usually have a reason.

Thanks,
Geno

They were going to close ALL the roads in the Gila National Forest in 2011.

Enough public outrage was displayed, as well as enough political pull to stop the closures.

The USFS had never maintained most of the roads in the first place.

I know the public roads in the Lincoln Natl. forest were maintained by the county. Not the USFS.

Usually, it's something simple. Like the USFS doesn't want to maintain the roads. Or they simply just don't want motor vehicles in there.

Here's a bit of what I was personally involved with.

https://www.abqjournal.com/7498/updated-gila-national-forest-proposing-to-close-roads.html

With huge funded groups like the Center For Biological Diversity calling for an entire closure, they met with fierce opposition.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2680281/posts

This was a huge deal in 2011, and they did not expect the public outrage they incurred.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

690 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 06hunter59, 12savage, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 66 invisible), 2,988 guests, and 1,330 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,642
Posts18,512,331
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.