Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
We had a pop-up Coleman 97 I think with Sunbrella fabric. It was ok as long as we had power. A small electric heater took the chill out and it became very toasty. We upgraded to a 27 foot used travel trailer I don't remember the make but it didn't have a slide out. Wishing for something smaller now for just the 2 of us and perhaps 2 dogs. I want a shower which limits most smaller units.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We have a small pop up tent trailer. Love it for short trips. I must admit to being intrigued by the smaller lightweight hard side trailers though. I do want something that can be towed by a mid sized truck. Buying a big full size rig to pull a camper a handfull of times per year does not make much sense for me.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
rnr Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
We had a Chalet for about 15 years. Loved it. They're built better (full square tube frame, not channel) if you want to take it off road anywhere. I did a lot. Me and wife plus 3 dogs.

"How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?

Sherlock Holmes
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I have never owned one and I don't see myself getting one any time soon. But, I did do some contract work for Lazydays many years ago cleaning up and redesigning their database and saw what they get the used ones for on trade-in. It would bring tears to your eyes.

My point being, do your research and don't let yourself get burned on a used trade-in. Haggle, haggle, haggle and get your financing somewhere else, if you need it.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
R
RickcNY Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Wow ,thank you very interesting and reasonably priced ,I've had several full size campers and I pop up over the years ,I've just come to a point where simple is better for me ...

IC B2

R
RickcNY Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
A very good friend has a little guy 6x10 silver shadow ,very nice albeit a little pricy

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Another shout out for the Forest River r-pod. Easy to pull, has a slideoout, wet head, good fresh, gray and black water capacity.

http://www.forestriverinc.com/product-details.aspx?LineID=173&Image=5054&ShowParent=1

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I was just on the phone with a friend who travels pulling a big trailer. I was considering an older motor home because I don't enjoy pulling trailers.
He told me not to buy anything over 15 years old because some places won't let you in with the older rigs.

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We considered a teardrop until stumbling onto this.

[Linked Image]

The owner wanted it hauled off, 3 yrs, mucho sweat and $ & it's almost done.

Last edited by weaselsRus; 04/24/17.

Eagles may soar, but a weasel never got sucked into a jet turbine!
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by whelennut
I was just on the phone with a friend who travels pulling a big trailer. I was considering an older motor home because I don't enjoy pulling trailers.
He told me not to buy anything over 15 years old because some places won't let you in with the older rigs.

I was unaware of that. One has to wonder if it's a safety thing whether rv parks don't want the potential of ugly, older motor homes in their parks...

IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by weaselsRus

[Linked Image]

Wow, what a snag!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
found a website about 6 months ago where a guy , in detail, showed how to build a tear drop camper, insulated, LED lighting, pull out kitchen in the back. Seems to be no shortage of DIY kits and how to guides.

It was interesting to me and I briefly considered it.

I had a nice pop up camper for years, and even though putting it up and taking it down only took about 15 minutes, I just didn't like having to deal with it.

I decided if I was ever going to have another camper , it would be one that I could park and go.

With the ultra-lite models out there, you can pull the small ones with SUVs.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
R
RickcNY Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
One of my main reasons for shying away from bigger trailers is currently driving a smaller pickup and I've seen a few too many issues ie leaks with many of the newer full size trailers ,especially with slide outs and the kids are grown and on their own

R
RickcNY Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
One of my main reasons for shying away from bigger trailers is currently driving a smaller pickup and I've seen a few too many issues ie leaks with many of the newer full size trailers ,especially with slide outs and the kids are grown and on their own

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
We had 2 popups, 1 hybrid and a travel trailer. The hybrid was the best way to go. Ours had a door on each end that opened and the beds pulled out like a popup so you pulled a 19" camper. When you set it up, you had about a 26' camper. Kind of best of both worlds. Light weight and easy to pull.

The trick to the popups and hybrids is to put a silver tarp over the canvas. It keeps the moisture off, the heat out (in the summer) and the cold or heat in depending on if you are heating or cooling it inside. We learned this after spending a week in a popup at the beach in record heat.

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dsink
...The trick to the popups and hybrids is to put a silver tarp over the canvas. It keeps the moisture off, the heat out (in the summer) and the cold or heat in depending on if you are heating or cooling it inside...

I just can't imagine buying a trailer so poor that it requires a tarp. Or dicking around with slide-outs before you can go to sleep.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

I
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
I
Find an older Nash 16T or 17B and you'll thank me for it later.

-Dual axle
-Well insulated constructed
-Practical
-Relatively LW

I flipped the axle on my 16T and drug that thing all over the wilds of Idaho with my young family. I still miss it.

If you're not burning through batteries in your headlamp,...you're doing it wrong.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
My wife and I bought an R-Pod 179 last summer and really like it. Very easy to pull with our 2500 Suburban. It will comfortably sleep two adults and has room for two more adults plus anyone who will sleep on the floor. The slide-out is GREAT. The bathroom and microwave were very important to my wife. grin

If we had it to do over again we would get a Lance similar to EdM's. My brother has one similar and loves it. Lances are much more expensive than R-Pods but worth it, I believe, and the interest on the loan is tax deductible as a second home if you don't already own one.

I've no experience with teardrop campers but my other brother had one but got rid of it very quickly.

JMHO.

and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God? (Micah 6:8)

d.v.

Musings on TDS
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[quote=OSU_Sig rv parks don't want the potential of ugly, older motor homes in their parks... [/quote]

This. There are some really trashy RV's out there with the owners mostly in the same category.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
Originally Posted by weaselsRus

[Linked Image]

Wow, what a snag!

I am quite attracted to the smaller like this Airstreams (or smaller) but I have the impression that they normally are rather pricey for what they are.

Your experience seems different . What did you do in terms of fixing up?

Norman Solberg
International lawyer, lately for 25 years in Japan, now working on trusts in the US, the 3rd greatest tax haven. NRA Life Member for over 50 years, NRA Endowment (2014), Patron (2016).
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

591 members (1lessdog, 160user, 17CalFan, 222Sako, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 61 invisible), 2,269 guests, and 1,290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,281
Posts18,486,813
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.