Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 18 of 37 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 36 37
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
While there is much to learn in the Bible, much of it is encoded on several levels, the more advanced available only to initiates. However, there exists a form of practical spirituality within the power of Jesus Christ, by practical I mean available to everyone as their natural heritage, wherein He reveals Himself to work wonders in our lives. I have posted this example in the past, and attempt to do so again. Please bear with me, the devil and his vanquishment is in the details.

My father died when I was ten-years old. He had become alcoholic, been in and out of hospital for most of my life between age five and his death from liver failure in 1955. The second to last time I saw him alive he was standing in the bedroom hemorrhaging blood from his mouth. After surgeons replaced a portion of his esophagus destroyed by cirrhosis of the liver, he wasted away and died. It was a period of riding the bus for miles so my mother could visit him, a disruptive and uncertain time. We were left impoverished, my mother had a few cents left in her purse and had to beg money from her sisters. She secured his Social Security and Veterans benefit, a grand total of $91.00 monthly, she sold off everything she could, and secured a job that week. He was reduced to a few broken watches and spectacles in a drawer and his Army discharge papers. I grew angry at him and alcoholics generally for their failures, their addiction, and the misery they caused for everyone around them.

Then, I forgot the pain and merely went on with my life. Then about 2005, my wife and I visited one of my cousins, the last remaining person who knew my father. We talked about another recently deceased cousin, who received treatment for alcoholism, PTSD from the Viet Nam War, and how he was able to straighten himself out, reenlist in the Navy Reserve and finish out his 20 years. I mentioned how I wish my father could have done the same, given he caused my dislike of alcoholics. My cousin asked if I thought his problem was related to his experience in World War I?

Having heard nothing of this, past knowing he had served in the U.S. Army Expedition Flying Service, I asked what she meant. Seems that my father had led a bombing raid on a French church where the Germans had set up an observation post in the steeple. When the first bombs fell, he saw nuns and children attempting to escape the church as the explosions ravaged the building. He signaled the remaining planes to call off the attack. For this he was not court marshaled, but was jammed up and transferred. No matter that children and nuns were killed or injured, the attack should have proceeded. Could that have been the trauma that was never mentioned? Was that the underlying cause of his drunken nightmares and screaming sleep demons? I realized that he was probably suffering from PTSD, something unidentified at the time. I felt ashamed, as the things we don't know are powerful evidence that cause us to misjudge and condemn. Now the ball was in my court.

Upon returning home, each night for three nights before bed, I prayed to Jesus Christ that he forgive my misjudgment of my father, and forgive him for whatever transgressions he made during his lifetime. I was asking for a reconciliation between us and Him.

One morning, after the conclusion of my supplications, my wife said she had a really strange and powerful dream. She found herself in a hospital corridor, facing a man dressed in a blue and white stripped robe, just on the opposite side of the threshold. She said she knew it was my father, and she knew that she could not step across the threshold. She asked if he was "John's father". He answered that he wanted her to tell "Jackie" that everything was fine there, and that he loved "Jackie" very much. She wanted to ask more questions, but the scene faded away, and she awoke. Strange as it seems, my wife did not know that my father referred to me as "Jackie", he never called me John, my given name. She did know that family referred to me as "Jack", but not Jackie as a child. So that an authentic detail was presented in her vision, as was the description of the robe he worn the one time they allowed him to visit with me in the lobby. We were both astounded, as I had never mentioned my prayers until she related her experience.

Now what can we say about this? First, no one ever dies, we are a soul personality loaded with the experiences of a lifetime. More, that if a father dead for over 50 years, can be summoned through sincere prayer to Jesus Christ, and reconciled with his son for misunderstanding, that is the power of Jesus Christ's practical power of forgiveness, and overwhelming love for us. That the vision of reconciliation was visited on my wife and not me, revealing hidden information only known to the father and son, that adds credence to the experience. As Christ rose, so can we all; while the body falls away, the soul remains, it is "saved", and that is the essence of all being, and the hope for a future bright beyond our understanding. It should also be known that I do not attend a church, but have an abiding faith in the power of Jesus Christ, He is exactly who he claimed to be, and quite alive this very moment.

Last edited by WranglerJohn; 04/22/17.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Gus
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by Gus
Originally Posted by Gus
zounds to me like a bunch of space aliens traveled & networked over the earth, teaching and leading the inhabitants toward a civilized understanding? pyramids everywhere, statues that look "foreign?", superhuman building projects. things flying around...what was going on? were those ancient writers having a hallucination, or were they reporting what they were seeing, given their understanding as members of their culture?

Gus,

Do you really believe the Egyptians were incapable of building the Pyramids?

they finally did find a way to do so. it took a spell though. it didn't happen overnite, for sure. uh, and noone from over there has any direct knowledge of how they actually did it. the descendents don't know. why is that?

Gus,

It was completed around 2560 BCE. That about 4577 years ago, or 2000 generations ago.

What trade craft techniques were passed down to you from 4500 years ago? Can you weave grass moccasins?

why no, no i can't since you've asked. plenty of folks around the perimeter of modern culture can create useful bowls from long-leaf pine needles. not me, but they charge for such things as if they were unique, specialty products, and people buy them. good for everybody since the trees produce shed needles year after year.

honestly i don't even think we can replicate a cathedral built back in the middle ages. those skills seemed to have vanished? a modern day cathedral with a ton of details, what a concept. don't think many are coming up out of the ground these days. maybe all the sacred spots have already been taken? i don't know.

Gus,

With modern materials we could build a really spectacular cathedral for much less then it cost the old medieval cities, but it definitely would not be the same.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by curdog4570
Surely you know that when you rationalize God away, you've only removed Him from your mind, not from His Universe.

But......He won't even stay absent from your mind, will He?

The fact you post on these threads is proof of that.

Says he who admits he has not independently verifiable evidence for the existence of his alleged god.

Until you can present some real evidence, none of the rest of your assertions regarding your god hold any water.

Refer to my OP on this thread.

If you were to invite Miles Patton to come see you, he might well make the trip and you could see for yourself that he is a real person.

But.... even if I asked him, he surely would not make the trip.

You don't know Miles for the same reason you don't know Jesus.......you won't invite him.

And neither of them answer to me.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for the "pearl"......we're not all swine.

X
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
X
Originally Posted by WranglerJohn
While there is much to learn in the Bible, much of it is encoded on several levels, the more advanced available only to initiates. However, there exists a form of practical spirituality within the power of Jesus Christ, by practical I mean available to everyone as their natural heritage, wherein He reveals Himself to work wonders in our lives. I have posted this example in the past, and attempt to do so again. Please bear with me, the devil and his vanquishment is in the details.

My father died when I was ten-years old. He had become alcoholic, been in and out of hospital for most of my life between age five and his death from liver failure in 1955. The second to last time I saw him alive he was standing in the bedroom hemorrhaging blood from his mouth. After surgeons replaced a portion of his esophagus destroyed by cirrhosis of the liver, he wasted away and died. It was a period of riding the bus for miles so my mother could visit him, a disruptive and uncertain time. We were left impoverished, my mother had a few cents left in her purse and had to beg money from her sisters. She secured his Social Security and Veterans benefit, a grand total of $91.00 monthly, she sold off everything she could, and secured a job that week. He was reduced to a few broken watches and spectacles in a drawer and his Army discharge papers. I grew angry at him and alcoholics generally for their failures, their addiction, and the misery they caused for everyone around them.

Then, I forgot the pain and merely went on with my life. Then about 2005, my wife and I visited one of my cousins, the last remaining person who knew my father. We talked about another recently deceased cousin, who received treatment for alcoholism, PTSD from the Viet Nam War, and how he was able to straighten himself out, reenlist in the Navy Reserve and finish out his 20 years. I mentioned how I wish my father could have done the same, given he caused my dislike of alcoholics. My cousin asked if I thought his problem was related to his experience in World War I?

Having heard nothing of this, past knowing he had served in the U.S. Army Expedition Flying Service, I asked what she meant. Seems that my father had led a bombing raid on a French church where the Germans had set up an observation post in the steeple. When the first bombs fell, he saw nuns and children attempting to escape the church as the explosions ravaged the building. He signaled the remaining planes to call off the attack. For this he was not court marshaled, but was jammed up and transferred. No matter that children and nuns were killed or injured, the attack should have proceeded. Could that have been the trauma that was never mentioned? Was that the underlying cause of his drunken nightmares and screaming sleep demons? I realized that he was probably suffering from PTSD, something unidentified at the time. I felt ashamed, as the things we don't know are powerful evidence that cause us to misjudge and condemn. Now the ball was in my court.

Upon returning home, each night for three nights before bed, I prayed to Jesus Christ that he forgive my misjudgment of my father, and forgive him for whatever transgressions he made during his lifetime. I was asking for a reconciliation between us and Him.

One morning, after the conclusion of my supplications, my wife said she had a really strange and powerful dream. She found herself in a hospital corridor, facing a man dressed in a blue and white stripped robe, just on the opposite side of the threshold. She said she knew it was my father, and she knew that she could not step across the threshold. She asked if he was "John's father". He answered that he wanted her to tell "Jackie" that everything was fine there, and that he loved "Jackie" very much. She wanted to ask more questions, but the scene faded away, and she awoke. Strange as it seems, my wife did not know that my father referred to me as "Jackie", he never called me John, my given name. She did know that family referred to me as "Jack", but not Jackie as a child. So that an authentic detail was presented in her vision, as was the description of the robe he worn the one time they allowed him to visit with me in the lobby. We were both astounded, as I had never mentioned my prayers until she related her experience.

Now what can we say about this? First, no one ever dies, we are a soul personality loaded with the experiences of a lifetime. More, that if a father dead for over 50 years, can be summoned through sincere prayer to Jesus Christ, and reconciled with his son for misunderstanding, that is the power of Jesus Christ's practical power of forgiveness, and overwhelming love for us. That the vision of reconciliation was visited on my wife and not me, revealing hidden information only known to the father and son, that adds credence to the experience. As Christ rose, so can we all; while the body falls away, the soul remains, it is "saved", and that is the essence of all being, and the hope for a future bright beyond our understanding. It should also be known that I do not attend a church, but have an abiding faith in the power of Jesus Christ, He is exactly who he claimed to be, and quite alive this very moment.

Thank you for posting that.

IC B2

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Surely you know that when you rationalize God away, you've only removed Him from your mind, not from His Universe.

Says he who admits he has not independently verifiable evidence for the existence of his alleged god.

Until you can present some real evidence, none of the rest of your assertions regarding your god hold any water.

If you were to invite Miles Patton to come see you, he might well make the trip and you could see for yourself that he is a real person.

You don't know Miles for the same reason you don't know Jesus.......you won't invite him.

If Jesus wants to show up at my house tonight, that would be great. We have great water here. I imagine he could make some really great wine out of it, if he decides to show.

I'm guessing the results of this experiment will be the same as the "Time Traveler Party" Experiment.

Last edited by antelope_sniper; 04/22/17.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

If Jesus wants to show up at my house tonight, that would be great. We have great water here. I imagine he could make some really great wine out of it, if he decides to show.

He doesn't ask permission......He asks for an invitation.

And He doesn't respond to demands, but does respond to requests.

Is "humble" in your vocabulary?

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Modern Tyre is no more the rebuilt same Tyre as Paris, F is the same Paris as is in east Texas.

Ancient Tyre was on 2 islands 700 m from shore.

Regardless, the prediction that at a certain time Jerusalem would be rebuilt by jews freed at a certain time by a king named Cyrus 200 yrs later and that Jerusalem would be in bitter conflicts for its control many years later by the jews after being dispersed to the world from it again and the prophecy that they would later become a country again and the prophecy that it would occur in one day and the prophecy that it would be struggled over for control that we see occurring today gives empirical proof the writers of the prophecy were directed by a higher source-one who knew He could make a king be born and name him Cyrus and make him become benevolent as Cyrus did and that He could make Israel be voted into existence buy a group of nations He controlled the votes of can only be ignored by those who themselves prove another bible prophecy: There are none so blind as those who would not see.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Modern Tyre is no more the rebuilt same Tyre as Paris, F is the same Paris as is in east Texas.

Regardless, the prediction that at a certain time Jerusalem would be rebuilt by jews freed at a certain time by a king named Cyrus 200 yrs later and that Jerusalem would be in bitter conflicts for its control many years later by the jews after being dispersed to the world from it again and the prophecy that they would later become a nation again and the prophecy that it would occur in one day and the prophecy that it would be struggled over for control that we see occurring today gives empirical proof the writers of the prophecy were directed by a higher source/power who knew He could make a king be born and name him Cyrus and make him become benevolent as Cyrus did and that He could make Israel be voted into existence buy a group of nations He controlled the votes of can only be ignored by those who themselves prove another bible prophecy: There are none so blind as those who would not see.

Last edited by jaguartx; 04/22/17.

I Dindo Nuffin
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
[quote=TF49]AS,

So was this event the end of the Phoenician Empire or not?

You still don't want to understand. You choose to remain in your shell.

If you care to, look at history and see a distinction between the island of Tyre where the governing capital was and the mainlands.

Did Neb come against the mainlands and ALexander against the island city.

So, again, was the prophecy against the Phoenician Empire or the real estate?

Alexander was never mentioned in your alleged prophecy, nor the Phonetician Empire, and Nebuchadrezzar failed.

Let me give you a modern equivalent of the game of bait-and-switch you are playing.

Imagine that in 1763 someone predicted that Catherine the Great would take Bagdad, salt the earth, and no one would ever live there again, then claimed their prediction came true when under George The Younger, 3rd ID Marched into Bagdad.

Would you really say that was a fulfilled prophecy?

Really?

AS,

More weasel words from you. The fact is that the prophecy was against Tyre, the Phoenician Empire.

You won't even answer the question I asked. It's bob and weave time for you.

The fact is that many waves came against it and it was destroyed. Like Ezekiel prophesied.

Prophecy fulfilled and you cannot let yourself believe it as it would challenge your pride. So, when challenged, you bring your friend "eisegesis" in and contort and offer some bizarre and likely irrelevant objection.

But, I am not surprised, you seem to think like that liar, "Magic Larry" and that "Everything came from Nothing."

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”

IC B3

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by WranglerJohn

This post is about your Father.
I'm glad you've reached a state of peace with him.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by jaguartx

Regardless, the prediction that at a certain time Jerusalem would be rebuilt by jews freed at a certain time by a king named Cyrus 200 yrs later and that Jerusalem would be in bitter conflicts for its control many years later by the jews after being dispersed to the world from it again and the prophecy that they would later become a country again and the prophecy that it would occur in one day and the prophecy that it would be struggled over for control that we see occurring today gives empirical proof the writers of the prophecy were directed by a higher source-one who knew He could make a king be born and name him Cyrus and make him become benevolent as Cyrus did and that He could make Israel be voted into existence buy a group of nations He controlled the votes of can only be ignored by those who themselves prove another bible prophecy: There are none so blind as those who would not see.

Jax,

Give us the chapter and verse so we can discuss it.....or do you not know it?

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
[quote=curdog4570]Surely you know that when you rationalize God away, you've only removed Him from your mind, not from His Universe.

It will be.

But I tell you, it will be more bearable on the day of judgment for Tyre and Sidon than for you.

They shall destroy the walls of Tyre and break down her towers, and I will scrape her soil from her and make her a bare rock.

Tyre was scraped down to a rock island made well for stretching nets.

I Dindo Nuffin
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by TF49
[quote=TF49]AS,

So was this event the end of the Phoenician Empire or not?

You still don't want to understand. You choose to remain in your shell.

If you care to, look at history and see a distinction between the island of Tyre where the governing capital was and the mainlands.

Did Neb come against the mainlands and ALexander against the island city.

So, again, was the prophecy against the Phoenician Empire or the real estate?

Alexander was never mentioned in your alleged prophecy, nor the Phonetician Empire, and Nebuchadrezzar failed.

Let me give you a modern equivalent of the game of bait-and-switch you are playing.

Imagine that in 1763 someone predicted that Catherine the Great would take Bagdad, salt the earth, and no one would ever live there again, then claimed their prediction came true when under George The Younger, 3rd ID Marched into Bagdad.

Would you really say that was a fulfilled prophecy?

Really?

AS,

More weasel words from you. The fact is that the prophecy was against Tyre, the Phoenician Empire.

You won't even answer the question I asked. It's bob and weave time for you.

The fact is that many waves came against it and it was destroyed. Like Ezekiel prophesied.

Prophecy fulfilled and you cannot let yourself believe it as it would challenge your pride. So, when challenged, you bring your friend "eisegesis" in and contort and offer some bizarre and likely irrelevant objection.

But, I am not surprised, you seem to think like that liar, "Magic Larry" and that "Everything came from Nothing."

The prophecy was very specific, and now you are trying to push to goal posts to the general.

Did Nebuchadrezzar perform these actions or not?

26:9 And he shall set engines of war against thy walls, and with his axes he shall break down thy towers.

26:10 when he shall enter into thy gates, as men enter into a city wherein is made a breach.

26:11 With the hoofs of his horses shall he tread down all thy streets: he shall slay thy people by the sword, and thy strong garrisons shall go down to the ground.

26:12 And they shall make a spoil of thy riches, and make a prey of thy merchandise: and they shall break down thy walls, and destroy thy pleasant houses: and they shall lay thy stones and thy timber and thy dust in the midst of the water

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Ancient Tyre, an island city...

http://www.middleeast.com/tyre.htm

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
The city of Tyre was located on 2 islands....

https://biblicalstudies.org.uk/article_tyre.html

I Dindo Nuffin
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by jaguartx
[quote=curdog4570]Surely you know that when you rationalize God away, you've only removed Him from your mind, not from His Universe.

It will be.

But I tell you, it will be more bearable on the day of judgment for Tyre and Sidon than for you.

They shall destroy the walls of Tyre and break down her towers, and I will scrape her soil from her and make her a bare rock.

Tyre was scraped down to a rock island made well for stretching nets.

please forgive me, but my calvinistic tendencies do show through from time to time. i'm sure god would love an invitation as the first step. on the other hand god in his infinite capacity can and will save whomever he so chooses. that's a power granted to god, and comes with the territory. hard to accept by some, even many. but one can't minimize the power of god to have his way in the final analysis.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Calvin got off in the weed patch, as did Wesley,etal. Too much study of the Bible will lead a man there.

Does it matter if Jesus knows ahead of time who will answer the door when he knocks?

More importantly, SHOULD it matter?

To you?

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Gus, He gives us all the choice. Knock and the door will be opened, seek and you shall find. It isnt up to Him. He made a covenant He cant go back on. He doesnt pick and choose who to save.

We make that choice. You wanna live forever? Believe. How? Ask Him to come into your heart. Ask Him to give you faith. Study His word to show yourself worthy. Then He will open your eyes so you can see.

Dont study to find fault, as some. Study to find truth. Study to find the Word. Study to find Jesus, what He did and why.

Then, turn from sin as much as you can. Become a friend of Him.

Your name will be put in the Book of Life, by YOU.

In the end, that book will be read. Some will be found alive, others will be found dead.

Last edited by jaguartx; 04/22/17.

I Dindo Nuffin
Page 18 of 37 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 36 37

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

266 members (12344mag, 01Foreman400, 160user, 280rem_cm, 35, 2UP, 22 invisible), 1,736 guests, and 1,055 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,244
Posts18,485,985
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.