Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 25 of 37 1 2 23 24 25 26 27 36 37
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by xxclaro
I should probably stay out of this.....but WTH, I got nothing else to do right now!

To my mind, the argument of irreducible complexity holds some merit. I was doing some spring cleaning in the shop today and was doing some thinking on this topic. I was thinking about archaeology and the discovery of lost cities and the like. Some of these sights are completely lost to history, we don't know who built them, only a rough idea of when and no idea why. Still, we can say with certainty that they were built by an intelligent species, presumably humans. Why can we be certain of that? Because they are put together and engineered in a way that we know cannot happen by accident. No one could argue with any credibility that these massive structures are the result of random chance, shaped by wind and water. Humans, animals, the earth and the entire universe are impossibly more complex than even the most impressive structure, so I find it highly improbable that there was no intelligence driving it.

The second point that I don't see discussed often is WHY? Even if we know HOW, the more important question is why. Even if evolution is totally correct, the question of why remains. Why should life have begun at all? Suppose it happened by accident, why did it then continue to evolve? Why would a simple single cell be dissatisfied with its current state and evolve into something else? The standard answer is that life evolves to better suit its environment and to better propagate its species. Fine, but why? Why should it want to do any of that? Why should any living creature care that another takes its place and carries on the species? Something must be driving it to do so, or else it would simply live out its life as best it could and die. I say this about the most basic of life forms, which really can't be said to possess the ability to think and reason, but when you begin to look at humans it becomes even more absurd.

Why do humans have things like emotions, wants and desires? Why do we crave fun and excitement? It doesn't make any logical sense at all, from a strictly scientific point of view. If we are simply a highly evolves species who's only real function is to propagate, then evolution did a piss poor job. All those extra abilities and functions we have are our undoing. Wanting to have fun kills us. It makes us do things that distract us from the task at hand, namely making babies. It would make far more sense for us to be like insects, for example ants or bee's. We would be born, grow quickly to maturity and immediately begin to breed. When not breeding we would work cooperatively as much as humanly possible to build our colonies and collect food for our young. That would make sense, from an evolutionary standpoint, if there is no intelligence that has programmed us, for lack of a better term, to act differently. In a sense we are like a cnc machine, we can do all sorts of cool stuff but if there is no data input, nothing comes out. Who programmed our DNA to act in ways that are not only unnecessary but potentially harmful to us? Obviously it is these very traits that make our lives as humans interesting and enjoyable, but who cares?

So, if we can see that in order or complex structures to be built and intricate parts to be machined, there must be an intelligent force at the controls, why does the same not apply to the universe?

I think a big part of the God problem comes from the limitations of our human mind. For example, try to think of a color you've never seen, something completely different than anything you've seen before. No matter how hard you try, you just end up mixing colors you already know into something that looks like something you've already seen. The same problem crops up when we try to think of a higher intelligence. Since humans are the highest form of intelligence that we know(SOME humans...) we have a really hard time trying to imagine what something vastly more intelligent might look like. We invariably end up with some sort of super human, bigger,smarter and with super powers, but still somehow human-ish. For a lot of people, that just seems absurd, and I agree. We try to explain that God must be an infinite being, not bound by the laws of the universe as we know them, not tied to a physical body etc but somehow that image of the big guy in the sky still creeps back in. Most people can't hope to follow the work of the best astrophysicist or understand string theory, myself included. Even those who can, and are at the top of their field, are constantly searching for answers and solutions to things that they still don't understand. Seems to me that if such a "God" being exists,and did indeed egineer all that is, the chances of us being able to wrap our heads around it and understand it completely are pretty small.

I also know that no matter how hard I try, I can never be completely objective or unbiased in my beliefs and views. Things that we are taught and believe as children are incredibly powerful, and many otherwise intelligent people can believe in utter nonsense, because questioning those beliefs is incredibly uncomfortable. Humans do not enjoy discomfort, and most will do anything they can to avoid it. Physical discomfort is easier to handle than what I guess you could call intellectual discomfort. With physical discomfort, we know what the problem is and generally have some idea of when it will end or how to bring it to an end. When faced with the discomfort of not the thread and it came knowing what to believe, or fearing that what you believe may be wrong, many people will rather grasp onto something that they find comfort in than to continue farther down rabbit hole, not knowing what they'll find or if they should believe it when they find it. When you add in the idea of an immortal soul, and the potential eternal torment of said soul, it becomes overwhelming for many. The easiest solution is to either find enough evidence, that you personally find believable, that no higher intelligence than the human exists, or that it does exist and you are in its good graces and will be taken care of.

If I had to bet, I would put my money on everyone being wrong. I don't think anyone has it all figured out, or understand a fraction of whats really out there. I have my beliefs, and I'm pretty sure many of them are wrong. I hope I can get a lot more answers before its all over.

Best post in the thread. And it comes from a Canuck.😀

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[quote=xxclaro]
WHY? Even if we know HOW, the more important question is why.
..what makes you think humans are entitled to know?, just because we have curiosity or enquiring minds
doesn't mean we have an entitlement.

Why should life have begun at all?
better still why not?, regardless of what the 'odds' are.

Suppose it happened by accident, why did it then continue to evolve? Why would a simple single cell be dissatisfied with its current state
and evolve into something else?
dissatisfied?..it may well be an involuntary auto process.

The standard answer is that life evolves to better suit its environment and to better propagate its species. Fine, but why?
Why should it want to do any of that?
again how does anyone know it has personal desire or 'wants' to?

Why do we crave fun and excitement? It doesn't make any logical sense at all, from a strictly scientific point of view.
To break the drudgery of life...we are only human and some relief may be beneficial.

then evolution did a piss poor job. All those extra abilities and functions we have.. Wanting to have fun kills us.
That would really depend on what kind of fun one chooses to have

So, if we can see that in order or complex structures to be built and intricate parts to be machined, there must be an intelligent force at the controls,
why does the same not apply to the universe?
why must it be a FORCE?....how do you know the same influence doesnt operate across the greater vast universe?

we have a really hard time trying to imagine what something vastly more intelligent might look like.
why does it even have to look like anything or take a form?..why does it even have to be visible by defined limits?
may well be blatantly obvious and visible, but not through the primitive human senses...may well be in everything and everywhere.

many otherwise intelligent people can believe in utter nonsense, because questioning those beliefs is incredibly uncomfortable.
Or simply down right dangerous, because throught the millennia people have annihilated,totured,ostrised, condemned, etc
for attempting to question the status quo or express their free mind.

When faced with the discomfort of not knowing what to believe, or fearing that what you believe may be wrong,
why can't people accept that not knowing is actually OK?..believing just for the sake of having something to believe in sounds dumb,
and just something one is going to trip up over...usually a result of peoples pride and ego getting the better of them.

I don't think anyone has it all figured out, or understand a fraction of whats really out there.
OUT there?...maybe outward seeking is the problem, what about the possibility of a universe within that may hold
all the answers of true value to us?

maybe the kingdom of God within is the universe within

LUKE17:21

"Neither shall they say, Lo here! or, lo there! for, behold, the kingdom of God is within you."

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
So, according to you, "why not" is superior to "why".

Sort of a meaningless phrase.

Like,"Things might have turned out differently".

Actually, things always turn out like they do.

Every why contains its own why not.

But.....your post winds up in a good place and does not contradict anything our Canadian friend said, even though you were attempting to be argumentative.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
You are still avoiding the question of why you chose to be an Atheist.

Your claim of "no evidence to support it" is B.S.

The default position regarding God is Agnosticism, not Atheism.

Why did you choose Atheism, not Agnosticism?

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
I should probably stay out of this.....but WTH, I got nothing else to do right now!

To my mind, the argument of irreducible complexity holds some merit. I was doing some spring cleaning in the shop today and was doing some thinking on this topic. I was thinking about archaeology and the discovery of lost cities and the like. Some of these sights are completely lost to history, we don't know who built them, only a rough idea of when and no idea why. Still, we can say with certainty that they were built by an intelligent species, presumably humans. Why can we be certain of that? Because they are put together and engineered in a way that we know cannot happen by accident. No one could argue with any credibility that these massive structures are the result of random chance, shaped by wind and water. Humans, animals, the earth and the entire universe are impossibly more complex than even the most impressive structure, so I find it highly improbable that there was no intelligence driving it.

The second point that I don't see discussed often is WHY? Even if we know HOW, the more important question is why. Even if evolution is totally correct, the question of why remains. Why should life have begun at all? Suppose it happened by accident, why did it then continue to evolve? Why would a simple single cell be dissatisfied with its current state and evolve into something else? The standard answer is that life evolves to better suit its environment and to better propagate its species. Fine, but why? Why should it want to do any of that? Why should any living creature care that another takes its place and carries on the species? Something must be driving it to do so, or else it would simply live out its life as best it could and die. I say this about the most basic of life forms, which really can't be said to possess the ability to think and reason, but when you begin to look at humans it becomes even more absurd.

Why do humans have things like emotions, wants and desires? Why do we crave fun and excitement? It doesn't make any logical sense at all, from a strictly scientific point of view. If we are simply a highly evolves species who's only real function is to propagate, then evolution did a piss poor job. All those extra abilities and functions we have are our undoing. Wanting to have fun kills us. It makes us do things that distract us from the task at hand, namely making babies. It would make far more sense for us to be like insects, for example ants or bee's. We would be born, grow quickly to maturity and immediately begin to breed. When not breeding we would work cooperatively as much as humanly possible to build our colonies and collect food for our young. That would make sense, from an evolutionary standpoint, if there is no intelligence that has programmed us, for lack of a better term, to act differently. In a sense we are like a cnc machine, we can do all sorts of cool stuff but if there is no data input, nothing comes out. Who programmed our DNA to act in ways that are not only unnecessary but potentially harmful to us? Obviously it is these very traits that make our lives as humans interesting and enjoyable, but who cares?

So, if we can see that in order or complex structures to be built and intricate parts to be machined, there must be an intelligent force at the controls, why does the same not apply to the universe?

I think a big part of the God problem comes from the limitations of our human mind. For example, try to think of a color you've never seen, something completely different than anything you've seen before. No matter how hard you try, you just end up mixing colors you already know into something that looks like something you've already seen. The same problem crops up when we try to think of a higher intelligence. Since humans are the highest form of intelligence that we know(SOME humans...) we have a really hard time trying to imagine what something vastly more intelligent might look like. We invariably end up with some sort of super human, bigger,smarter and with super powers, but still somehow human-ish. For a lot of people, that just seems absurd, and I agree. We try to explain that God must be an infinite being, not bound by the laws of the universe as we know them, not tied to a physical body etc but somehow that image of the big guy in the sky still creeps back in. Most people can't hope to follow the work of the best astrophysicist or understand string theory, myself included. Even those who can, and are at the top of their field, are constantly searching for answers and solutions to things that they still don't understand. Seems to me that if such a "God" being exists,and did indeed egineer all that is, the chances of us being able to wrap our heads around it and understand it completely are pretty small.

I also know that no matter how hard I try, I can never be completely objective or unbiased in my beliefs and views. Things that we are taught and believe as children are incredibly powerful, and many otherwise intelligent people can believe in utter nonsense, because questioning those beliefs is incredibly uncomfortable. Humans do not enjoy discomfort, and most will do anything they can to avoid it. Physical discomfort is easier to handle than what I guess you could call intellectual discomfort. With physical discomfort, we know what the problem is and generally have some idea of when it will end or how to bring it to an end. When faced with the discomfort of not knowing what to believe, or fearing that what you believe may be wrong, many people will rather grasp onto something that they find comfort in than to continue farther down rabbit hole, not knowing what they'll find or if they should believe it when they find it. When you add in the idea of an immortal soul, and the potential eternal torment of said soul, it becomes overwhelming for many. The easiest solution is to either find enough evidence, that you personally find believable, that no higher intelligence than the human exists, or that it does exist and you are in its good graces and will be taken care of.

If I had to bet, I would put my money on everyone being wrong. I don't think anyone has it all figured out, or understand a fraction of whats really out there. I have my beliefs, and I'm pretty sure many of them are wrong. I hope I can get a lot more answers before its all over.

The answers you need are in the Bible.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The answers you need are in the Bible.

Not arguing the point but if everybody got the same message from reading the bible, there would be only one organized religion. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
You're right, Miles. But what really exacerbates the problem is the insistence, from all sides, that the Bible be inerrant.

Better by far to admit to the contradictions in it and point out that they do not detract from its core message, summed up in John 3:16.

Preachers and Teachers seldom answer a bible question properly. They should respond;"Ask Jesus".

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Better by far to admit to the contradictions in it and point out that they do not detract from its core message, summed up in John 3:16.

Yeah, I pointed to that verse earlier, in this thread I think. miles

Last edited by milespatton; 04/23/17. Reason: copy/paste missed quote marks

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

https://www.kingjamesbibleonline.org/Bible-Verses-About-Studying-The-Bible/

I Dindo Nuffin
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
"Preachers and Teachers seldom answer a bible question properly. They should respond;"Ask Jesus"."

How would you know whether they answered a Bible question properly? You talk to Jesus a lot?

IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

Good summation.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That post by xxclaro seemed very good, at least to this untrained reader. I always have believed that there is still a whole bunch to be learned with regard to our creation, our development and infinity, and that we are not likely to learn it all until we experience some masterstroke. I believe that stroke will be done by the Master.

We are instructed to be striving - a work in progress - but that does not mean that we are intended to get it all, or be all, through our own efforts. No matter how hard we try.

Some seem to see glory in the effort, and many seem to place great confidence and credence in the scientific method. That may be excellent striving. That process and the "rules" that guide it are human-centered, which also means that scientific exploration is human-limited. Those who worship there very well may have an existence quite limited by what they are not able to know - possibly that which they prevent themselves from knowing.

Along with other pursuits - artistic, social, technical, etc. - I have enjoyed working in and with science and have great appreciation for some outcomes of human scientific endeavor. And, certain of those outcomes seem to be further developing in an exponential manner. That's interesting, even exciting.

Humans can be powerful, often in excellent ways, and it is interesting - even rewarding - to witness such. But, exploration and pursuit of proof for hypotheses does not equate with finding of truth, particularly truth regarding the immeasurable - such as love, faith and eternity.

Just a simple thought.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Yeah, God threads are, in great part, debates on ideas that are less wrong.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by victoro
"Preachers and Teachers seldom answer a bible question properly. They should respond;"Ask Jesus"."

How would you know whether they answered a Bible question properly? You talk to Jesus a lot?

Explain how it properly concerns you and I'll answer.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by carbon12

Good summation.

I've long thought the Gnostics were headed in the right direction in questioning Paul's theology in that it was too limited and simplistic. But, as with all human endeavors, they came up with an inferior substitute.

Any "answer" I get from God is intended for me alone. All I am to do is point a questioner to the Source where answers are found. And it certainly is not he Bible nor a Preacher.

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Originally Posted by curdog4570
Originally Posted by victoro

Explain how it properly concerns you and I'll answer.

I don't care if you answer or not. Any answer you come up with will be irrelevant anyway. You are only fooling yourself.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by curdog4570
You are still avoiding the question of why you chose to be an Atheist.

Your claim of "no evidence to support it" is B.S.

The default position regarding God is Agnosticism, not Atheism.

Why did you choose Atheism, not Agnosticism?

Gene,

The modern use of Agnostic and Atheist have evolve since the term agnostic was coined by Thomas Huxley in 1869.

Today it's common to separate the two categories to belief and knowledge to better explain a persons position.

When doing so,

atheist/theist deals with believe,
agnostic/ gnostic deals with knowledge.

So as an example, a gnostic atheist is someone who knows there is no god, where an agnostic theist is someone who has a belief in theistic claims, but does not claim knowledge. In other words, this is the state of a good many Christians in this country who believe in God, but cannot tell you why, and probably haven't even read their Bible. This is probably the actual default position for most Americans. We live in a Christian dominated society where "everyone knows there is a God", so most grow up believing before they've every really studied or examined the issue. Some begin as an agnostic who does not automatically accept the theistic influences around them. Since they have not accepted the theistic claims, they begin as agnostic atheist. In other words, the true default position is one of atheism, not theism.

So when I say I'm an atheist, all that means is I reject theist claims. Since it is the Theist making the positive claims, it is they who have the burden of proof, and and this point, to me, all theist claims, Christian or other wise have failed to meet this burden of proof.

I can't say I'm Agnostic, because I'm very knowledgeable on the subject, so you could classify me as a gnostic atheist. One with knowledge who does not accept any theistic claims.

For me, the question is all about reason and evidence, an to date, you have presented no independently verifiable evidence to support your theistic claims, let alone any extraordinary evidence to match your extraordinary claims.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Ask Jes u s.

I Dindo Nuffin
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Ask Jes u s.

Thousands, or billions of years.

Which is closer?

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Agnostic is one who believes the question of a god's existence is unsettled.

Maybe, maybe not.

Atheist position is that there is no God and is an advocate for that position....... which makes him a member of a religious sect.

Page 25 of 37 1 2 23 24 25 26 27 36 37

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (160user, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 59 invisible), 2,805 guests, and 1,285 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,853
Posts18,478,484
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.