Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by PJGunner
"There has been a host of great .35s and the only one to really catch on is the 9 x 57... errr Whelen."

IIRC, the 9x57 is closer to the .358 Win. and I think a bit slower in velocity.
Paul B.

PJ I think you're spot on. I was thinking in terms of the 35's chronology and tht imo we've had so many good 35s. With so many good cartridges available now out it wouldn't make sense, but it would be interesting to see what the 9 x 57 could be cranked up to with a modern rifle and components.

Be Polite , Be Professional , but have a plan to kill everybody you meet
-General James Mattis United States Marine Corps

Nothing is darker than a mau mau's moo moo.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by CRS
Originally Posted by Asmartpollock
Ok starman, crs, and 007fj tell me what it is that you like about the 338 federal. I can get factory ammo (fusion) at cabelas and a couple other factory loads at gander mountain. I hear good things about the fusions out of the Fed. If I go with the Fed I would like to be able to push a 210 partition to about 2650 and other 200 grainers to 2700 or faster. Would that be possible with this cartridge? I haven't started reloading yet but I plan on it soon after getting the rifle. Whichever one I choose.

From your choices I would pick a 338 Federal for these reasons.
1. Main use is deer
2. A 180gr bullet at 2600-2700fps will absolutely pancake a deer.
3. I am thinking a 200-210gr bullet will handle everything else.
4. You are going to reload, uses less powder, and does not need premium bullets.
5. If you ever decide to get a suppressor, it would be real easy to develop subsonic loads.

I love reading the Whelen advocates posts. But I just cannot drink the cool aid. My 338-06 will do everything the Whelen will do. If I need to go bigger, the Whelen is not the answer.

If I was going to do a 35 caliber, it would be a 358 Win which is a niche/cult cartridge. Been there done that. Or a 358 Norma mag, which is not legal for DG in Africa. Why put up with that much recoil?

Maybe I am lucky that I have never been drawn into the 358 club.

And my .35 Whelen will do everything your .338/06 will do. wink

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You are correct.
grin

Arcus Venator
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Between a 338 federal and a 35 whelen which would you choose and why? I'm pretty much set on getting one of the 2 from Montana rifle company. I understand that it can take up too 20 weeks to get the rifle from them and I'm not worried about that. I do not reload but am seriously considering it. The game that I'll mostly be hunting is deer. Also is it difficult to get started reloading?

Now that your original question has been answered in spades. I urge you to take a step back and think about this.

Personally, I feel MRC's are too heavy. I know you handled them, but have you handled all the different rifles? Are you sure MRC is the rifle? The rifle is the most important part.

Cartridge choice truly is secondary. There are many cartridges that will serve your intended purpose, some that are more flexible than your two choices. In the end, either cartridge will serve you well. What do you want to shoot?

If you are dead set on becoming a rifle Looney... carry on. crazy It is a very slippery slope full of enjoyment. There are worse traits/habits that one can have.

Just be careful, you may end like some of us on here. wink

Arcus Venator
A
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
I am left handed so that really limits my choices. I liked the mrc rifles because they come left handed at no additonal cost. I did not mind the weight of them and I figure it can't hurt with the recoil either. I don't spot and stalk hunt in Michigan. Most of the hunting is done from a blind or tree stand. If we do deer drives I'll probably go with the 3030 for the quick follow up shots.

IC B2

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
For left handed, (I am, too) consider single shots, pumps, and bolt guns without a cheek piece. (I have a Remington 30 that I use lefty, with the right side bolt and love it).

Not having toa carry the thing does make a difference on weight, at the end of the day even 5 pounds is a lot.

A
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
I went to Cabela's about a month ago and I compared how a right handed bolt rifle felt vs a left handed one. I wasn't expecting to like how natural it felt to cycle the bolt with my left hand but I did. I know what your saying about lugging around a heavy gun while hunting. I used to bust brush going after rabbits in the snow with my Mossberg 500. Talk about being bushed after a day of hunting- that would be my definition of it. The single shot shot gun I have is much easier too carry.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I have a preference for a Whelen. Picked up a Model 700 Classic years ago and it has never let me down. Load development was easy. It's fairly light for a larger caliber but the recoil isn't that bad IMHO. Similar to my 7mag with 175's. You can always minimize recoil at the bench using sand bags, etc etc. When you touch one off at game you won't even notice it I assure you. Besides you aren't getting a rifle that you are going to shoot thousands of times at the range. Get a smaller caliber "understudy" rifle for that!

A
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Thanks for the info on the recoil westernmassman. I've read all sorts of crazy stuff on other forums about the recoil being horrible and then other people say that it's comparable to the 30-06. Your right, it's not going to be something I shoot all the time. Maybe just during load development and if some buddies want to go target shooting. It'll primarily be for hunting.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
If you get into reloading you can tailor the ammunition to whatever you want it to be.
It is comparable to a 7mm Magnum or a 30-06 with 220 gr bullets.
An ultra light 30-06 with 180 grain bullets can be unpleasant too.
Once your 35 Whelen is sighted in you won't need follow up shots when hunting. It is normally one and done.

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
IC B3

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
prm, I recently looked at a 338 federal reloading forum and I'm pretty sure you were on it and I think it was from 2011 or 2012. A lot of the guys talked about tac, leverevolution, 8208, and mr2000 powders. I was just wondering if you've figured out some good loads for the federal. Some of the velocities, bullets, and accuracy seemed pretty good to me. Are compressed loads hard to do? The 35 whelen seems like it would be easy to reload for without having to compress the majority of loads. It all depends on powders I guess.

I have many loads for the 338 Fed. Hard to pick just one... Probably a favorite is the 160 TTSX at ~3050fps using AA2230. I've shot elk to impala with excellent results.

Many, many good bullets for whitetails. 180 Accubond, 200 Hot Cor and others. 8208 is a great powder for 180-200gn bullets. AA2230 is really fast with lighter bullets, but more temp sensitive.

A
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
I still haven't decided which caliber to go with. prm, if I go with the 338 federal I will be looking to duplicate some of the loads that you have come up with. So to start reloading, should I start with some sort of reloaders kit or should I buy everything separately? Also I'm thinking a 3-9 power scope will work well with either caliber, what's everyone's opinion on brands? I would like to keep it at 600$ or less, and with a good warranty if possible?

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Have an old Weaver 3x on my .35 Whelen.

Just my .02,but start small i.e. buy separately.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
I still haven't decided which caliber to go with. prm, if I go with the 338 federal I will be looking to duplicate some of the loads that you have come up with. So to start reloading, should I start with some sort of reloaders kit or should I buy everything separately? Also I'm thinking a 3-9 power scope will work well with either caliber, what's everyone's opinion on brands? I would like to keep it at 600$ or less, and with a good warranty if possible?

Start with an RCBS kit.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
A
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Does the rcbs kit come with all the jazz that I'll need to get started? Calipers, scale, and drop tube ( whatever the hell that is)? Thanks for the suggestion antelope_sniper, I'll check it out.

Last edited by Asmartpollock; 04/26/17.
A
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
I know I'll need dies, powder, bullets, primers, and a press. What is fire forming for reloading? Is that using a case from once fired brass in the caliber you want to reload?

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Does the rcbs kit come with all the jazz that I'll need to get started? Calipers, scale, and drop tube ( whatever the hell that is)? Thanks for the suggestion antelope_sniper, I'll check it out.

Something like this is fine to get a guy started.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/937051/rcbs-rock-chucker-supreme-master-single-stage-press-kit

It's a good basic kit to get you started. Don't get distracted by all the internet dream set-up. Start basic as you work up and our skill improves enough that your loads actually benefit from the additional cost. It doesn't come with calipers, but you can pick those up at Harbor Freight for $10, or a little more at one of the big-box gunstores.

Granddad bought something similar to that about 50 years ago and I'm still using it today.

Last edited by antelope_sniper; 04/26/17.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
I know I'll need dies, powder, bullets, primers, and a press. What is fire forming for reloading? Is that using a case from once fired brass in the caliber you want to reload?

That's an advanced technique for making cases when you can't buy the one's you need.

For now, just buy brass with the same headstamp as what printed on the side of the barrel, and you won't have to worry about fire forming.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
The kit comes with a Manual.

Step one is to read it a few times before you begin loading.

Then go down to the reloading forum and ask your clarifying questions down there. Lots of great knowledgeable guys who are happy to help.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Fire forming is taking a parent case and firing it with pistol powder and a wad to make it into the desired case. In your case a 30-06 will blow out to a .35 whelen, only a tad short; a .270 will be slightly longer. A .308 will form to the .338 Federal. The downside is the headstamp is wrong, and sometimes they split. Now you will want to know about annealing. The dies will expand the necks without the fireforming. Other than buying brass with the proper headstamp, you can buy ammo and use it until you save enough brass. That $1.50 to $2.00 per shell wears on you pretty quickly. Don't get Hornady Superformance, it is thin brass, and you cannot duplicate the load.

As said, go to the reloading forum, every one of us had to start. Some of those guys spend way too much time worrying about seating depths, crimps, concentricity &tc. You probably are like me, and just want minute of deer more or less. If you can find someone close who loads, see if you can sit in.

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

598 members (160user, 1beaver_shooter, 1936M71, 204guy, 1badf350, 69 invisible), 2,981 guests, and 1,298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,195
Posts18,503,558
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.