Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
Gregdoo Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
Didn't see this posted yet. Looks like Sportsman's Warehouse is considering buying much of Gander Mountain.

Gander

GB1

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Gregdoo
Didn't see this posted yet. Looks like Sportsman's Warehouse is considering buying much of Gander Mountain.

Gander

I wish we had a Sportsman's warehouse nearby ..we have a Ganders in WInston Salem and Greensboro. I have not been in either store in eons

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I prefer to go to the Sportsman Warehouse in Idaho Falls as opposed to the Cabelas. SW buying Gander sure couldn't hurt the Gander Stores. The couple I've been in really sucked.

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Snake River Marksman
I prefer to go to the Sportsman Warehouse in Idaho Falls as opposed to the Cabelas. SW buying Gander sure couldn't hurt the Gander Stores. The couple I've been in really sucked.

+1 I still like Cabelas but would not go out of my way to shop one anymore. I much prefer SW

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by Snake River Marksman

On the other hand, Gander could sure hurt SW and drag it down. Too many of these stores with too much junk in them at prices that are just too high. Cabelas is the best of the bunch of them, Gander is the worst, closely followed by Bass Pro.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I hope a SW expansion goes better this time than it did the last time. I'd shop and buy at their stores in Rogers, AR, Wichita, KS, and Round Rock, TX, but they all closed a few years after opening. There are a few Gander's that are on my travel routes I wouldn't mind seeing converted.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I am a Sportsman's fan too. They beat every other big store I have to choose from.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We dont have a SW in our area and the GM in Texarkana is one of the ones they are closing. It would be nice to have a SW nearby, but with Academy just across the interstate, I dont know if it would make it at that GM location.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
hopefully, who ever ends up with them will
take a lot of that casual clothing out and
replace it with honest hunting/fishing/camping
gear. (but deep down i know they won't)

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Ranger99
hopefully, who ever ends up with them will
take a lot of that casual clothing out and
replace it with honest hunting/fishing/camping
gear. (but deep down i know they won't)

They won't because that is the higher margin product which is easy to private label and therefore isn't as easy to comparison shop.

Wasn't it just a few years ago that SW went under and was purchased by a Canadian company? I know the ones here in Minnesota closed up.

Jerry

Minnesota; Land of 10,000 Taxes
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Gregdoo

Gander

Good, and get rid of Gander's inept management immediately. Gander is pathetic.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I would welcome that.Big time.
We had a SW about 30 miles from us that closed in the crash....Gander Mountain opened up in the same building about 5 years ago. I miss SW and would love to see them back.
Sportsmans Warehouse had their credit line choked back in the crash which made them close some stores. It's a 100 miles to the nearest Cabelas , and it's in Chicagoland which I prefer to avaoid.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
We have a Sportsmans here. It's nowhere near as big as a Cabelas, of course, but it's not a bad store. They have a lot of things online that aren't in the store. This particular store gets their freight every Friday. If you order something to be delivered to the store, freight is free and you'll get it Friday. A number of times I've ordered bullets or powder that they don't have on the shelf. I also ordered a pellet grill a couple years ago. Usually I don't mind waiting a couple days for something.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Jerryv
Wasn't it just a few years ago that SW went under and was purchased by a Canadian company? I know the ones here in Minnesota closed up.

Jerry

Wholesale Sports

Originally Posted by Bristoe
It's about like this:

"Do you puff peters?"

"Hell no!"

"NAZI!!!"

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I can't understand how expanding brick and mortar stores is a wise financial decision.

Why do it? Online is kicking the crap out of brick and mortar.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Before the crash, SW was a privately held company. When the economy tanked and sales slowed, they sold several stores and closed other locations. The bank pretty much took over the remaining operation and the owner went away.

After the economy improved, they went public and have a lot more capital and have been expanding rapidly. I heard they are opening something like 20 new stores this year, not counting the Gander Mountain deal.

The first great thing is to find yourself and for that you need solitude and contemplation. I can tell you deliverance will not come from the rushing noisy centers of civilization. It will come from the lonely places. Fridtjof Nansen
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Our local SW closed over a year ago. Perhaps if they buy our local GM, they can close it also.

Last edited by Badgerloader; 04/26/17.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
SW is ok - nothing special. Rarely have deals like Cabelas does. I liken the merger to Sears and Kmart - meh. What I really don't understand is that most days there are more people working there than shopping.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I can't imagine the upside.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Everyone trashing Gander, yet they were the ONLY ones I could find locally, who had no trouble ordering in the pistol I wanted. Cabela's couldn't do it, field and stream failed me, but Gander said "no problem" and even dropped the price a few bucks below what I had found on line.
I'll see if there is an SW near me for comparison, but Gander did fine by me.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

96 members (300_savage, 308xray, 7mm_Loco, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 69sportfury, 9 invisible), 17,067 guests, and 895 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,879
Posts18,538,165
Members74,050
Most Online20,796
04:44 PM

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.