Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Snake River Marksman
When they privatize the Post Office, stamps will go to a buck and a half at least and customer service won't get any better.
Hopefully that would apply to bulk mail and cut down on the junk mail.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by gunswizard
. . . My pet peeve is those who show up with packages totally unprepared to ship. The clerks help these dolts pack (using P.O. supplys) while the line of those waiting stretches out the door. Why can't customers like that be required to step to the back of the line while preparing their packages?

this happens any place there is a line to stand in. the tax office
here used to have a desk you had to pass to get in line, and if you
didn't have your ducks in a row, you didn't get in line until you did.
they no longer do this unfortunately. i guess someone with a low degree
of intelligence and no common sense complained about having to go to
the back of the line with the rest of the pinheads and the common
sense practice of triage was abolished.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Our rural PO setup does a good job, and, overall, we experience few problems. But the larger picture seems messy. The USPS of today is NOT designed to be efficient or logical. And, a good 80% or more of our mail is junk we do not want. The USPS was not designed as an advertising service - could make some $$ and cut down on volume if they would raise the price for junk mail.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Like most Government agencies.....the US Post Office desperately needs another tax-payer bail-out.

..it is not likely that USPS will be able to make all of its required payments in fiscal year 2017

The U.S. Postal Service (USPS) faces a serious financial situation that is putting its mission of providing prompt, reliable, and efficient universal mail services at risk.1 It reported a net loss of $5.6 billion in fiscal year 2016—its 10th consecutive year of net losses. Additionally, it continues to face unfunded liabilities that have grown from 99 percent of USPS revenues in fiscal year 2007 to 169 percent of revenues in fiscal year 2016. These unfunded liabilities—totaling about $121 billion at the end of fiscal year 2016—consist mostly of retiree health and pension benefit obligations for which USPS has not set aside sufficient funds to cover. For example, since September 2010, USPS has not made almost $34 billion in required prefunding retiree health payments, which has led to an unfunded liability of about $52 billion.2 USPS's ability to make payments to cover its unfunded liabilities is challenged due to (1) continued expected declines in mail volumes; (2) growing expenses; (3) expiration of a temporary rate surcharge3(which generated $4.6 billion in additional revenue from its January 2014 inception to its April 2016 discontinuation); and (4) no planned new major cost-savings initiatives. As a result, it is not likely that USPS will be able to make all of its required health and pension payments in fiscal year 2017.4
USPS's inability to make these payments may ultimately place taxpayers and the health care and pension benefits of USPS employees, retirees, and their beneficiaries at risk. Funded benefits protect the future viability of USPS by not saddling it with bills after employees have retired. USPS retirees participate in the same health and pension benefit programs as other federal retirees. Thus, if USPS ultimately does not adequately fund these benefits and if Congress wants these benefits to be maintained at current levels, funding from the U.S. Treasury and hence the taxpayer would be needed to continue the benefit at the same levels. Alternatively, unfunded benefits could pressure USPS to reduce benefits or pay for postal workers. In July 2009, we added USPS's financial condition to the list of high-risk areas needing attention by Congress and the executive branch to achieve broad-based restructuring.

"Those that think they know everything are annoying those of us that have Google." - Dr. D. Edward Wilkinson

Note to self: Never ask an old Fogey how he is doing today.
Revised note to self: Keep it short when someone asks how I am doing.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Postal Service 'Unlikely' to Make Health and Pension Payments

A new report profiling the U.S. Postal Service's tenuous financial situation finds it "unlikely" that the government body "will be able to fully make its required retiree health and pension payments in the near future," and its mounting debts and liabilities could threaten its existence and taxpayers' wallets going forward.
A report published Thursday by the Government Accountability Office suggests the postal service's expenses "began consistently exceeding revenues in fiscal year 2007," which ultimately contributed to a net loss of $56.8 billion over the subsequent eight years.
"USPS is a critical part of the nation's communication and commerce, delivering 154 billion pieces of mail in fiscal year 2015 to about 155 million delivery points, and with more than 620,000 employees," Lori Rectanus, director of physical infrastructure issues at the GAO, said in a statement Thursday presented to the Senate Committee on Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs. "USPS, however, faces a serious financial situation and does not have sufficient revenues to cover its expenses, putting its mission of providing prompt, reliable, and efficient universal services to the public at risk."
Rectanus said the service's "unsustainable" deficits are likely to prevent it from providing adequate compensation to retirees going forward. In fact, the GAO found that the USPS only paid $6.7 billion of the $12.6 billion in retiree health and pension payments that were due in fiscal 2015. In last year's 10-K report, the service cited "declines in mail volume" and "statutory and regulatory restrictions" as reasons for defaulting on billions of dollars due to a USPS retiree health benefits fund.
"Moreover, at the end of fiscal year 2015, USPS had about $125 billion in unfunded liabilities and debt, most of which were for retiree health and pension benefits," Rectanus said Thursday. "These unfunded liabilities and debt are a large and growing financial burden, increasing from 99 percent of USPS revenues in fiscal year 2007 to 182 percent of revenues in fiscal year 2015."

"Those that think they know everything are annoying those of us that have Google." - Dr. D. Edward Wilkinson

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
USPS is top heavy to the extreme. You have the Postmaster General and his lackeys at L'Efant Plaza, The Postal Regulatory Commission, The Postal Board of Governors and The US Congress all with their finger in the pie.
I don't blame the rank file carriers or clerks unless they can't count or read English.

It's all about the numbers, customer service be damned.

Whom the gods wish to destroy they first make mad.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Mail carrier makes dumpster delivery in Lee Co.

[Linked Image]

Agents with the inspector general's office are trying to identify the woman caught dumping hundreds of pieces of mail into a Lee County dumpster.

What's even more shocking is that woman is a postal worker. The entire incident was captured on a surveillance camera.

It happened Saturday behind Luigina's Pizza & Grill off US-41 in San Carlos Park.

In the video, the postal worker is seen driving her truck right up next to the dumpster before dumping an entire bin full of mail into the trash.

"I called down to my wife. I said check the garbage can, I just saw something really bizarre," said Louie Rondao, the owner of Luigina's Pizza.

"Sure enough, she confirmed there was mail here from people and a lot of postcards," he added. "Somebody's missing checks and payments. There were bills, and I think there were some personal letters."

Also among the dumped mail were about 400 business fliers belonging to local realtor Hudson Warren.

"It's not free, it's not cheap, and it's a big part of my business. And so it's pretty frustrating to know that they're not getting to people," Warren said. "We're doing everything we can do to keep ourselves busy, and somebody's literally throwing our money in the trash."

Rondao says he reported the incident to the postal service on Saturday, but special agents didn't show up to investigate until Monday morning.

The postal service told us they've already contacted the intended recipients of that mail. The letters will be processed and then placed back into the regional mail system.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've had a couple parcels disappear for a couple weeks. Frustrating, but not the end of the world.

My biggest bitch is junk mail. I swear the post office is in the garbage business. They just move trash from one place to the next. The local P.O. has 4 large cans overflowing every evening. It's hilarious.

For most things, USPS is still a bargain.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
.....the tax-payers don't need their mail, anyway.

Mailman fired after Pleasant Grove woman discovers dumpster of undelivered mail

PLEASANT GROVE — Most people don't think twice when mailing a letter. The deal has always been if you put the proper postage on it, the government will deliver it to the address you put on the front.

There’s a good chance, though, no one has ever addressed their mail to a Pleasant Grove dumpster.

A Pleasant Grove woman got a big surprise last week when she discovered hundreds, if not thousands of pieces of unopened, undelivered mail dumped inside a dumpster in her neighborhood.

“Oh, I was totally shocked. When I first looked in, I first saw a package on the top, and underneath a big clack rug was all the mail,” said the woman who asked not to be identified because she said she doesn't want the man suspected of trashing the mail to know what she saw.

That man was a mailman.

“I looked outside and saw the mail truck parked by the dumpster and thought it was really odd because our mail had already been delivered for the day by a complete different mail carrier and mail vehicle,” the woman said.

Once he left, she went over and peeked to see what was inside. She saw much more than plastic bags, cardboard, and other trash.

“There was mail from the state of Utah, personal cards, checks, utility bills — and it was addressed to people in Pleasant Grove and the Lindon area,” she said.

She took pictures of the stacks and stacks of mail she took out of the dumpster. Then, she put them in bags and delivered it all back to the Pleasant Grove Post Office.

“One of the guys that talked to me said he has worked there for 36 years and has never seen anything like this before,” she said. “Lots of people in this area have been complaining about missing mail for months. One lady I know is a business owner and she told me she’s been missing mail for up to six months.”

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What happened to the zero defects concept. Do it right every time and you do not have to do it again.

IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
For most things, USPS is still a bargain.

Pricing is easy when you expect to lose $5 billion each year.

Poor UPS and FedEx.....they have to worry about actually operating in the black.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Out here in the country, It seems they may have finally figured out, it doens't pay to make mail runs daily, sometimes for VERY little mail a certain direction, I don't see nearly as many bulk mail trucks coming and going as I used to, and I work next to the PO...

I do see a lot of other trucks though... UPS, some kind of yellow one etc.... wonder if its not them that are slowing some of this down...

I often wondered at the size of the trucks that came and picked up our mail to send it to Houston or Austin to start its journey.

Regardless, I'm trying to get my mind wrapped around not being part of the Mc Donalds society and if it can't get here fast enough, my fault for not thinking ahead... In some places that might be in our future, if you don't think ahead it could cost you your life...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
*sigh* They must have heard me praise them. Package today I wasn't home to sign for.

"Left notice" on the tracking website - No you didn't.

Call local PO to ask what my wife needs to claim tomorrow. 5 phone calls in an hour. No one answers.

Great customer service asshats.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by colorado bob
Originally Posted by Certifiable
Originally Posted by Snake River Marksman
When they privatize the Post Office, stamps will go to a buck and a half at least and customer service won't get any better.

Yep. People don't seem to realize how good the PO does 99% of the time

I agree. I like the USPO over them all. I've been paying my bills via the mail for 40+ years. Never had a problem with the check getting there on time.

I'm glad you have all the luck.

My Feb. credit card payment got lost in the mail. Didn't realize anything was wrong until I got the March statement. No payment made in Feb. I called the CC company, told them the check # and date the payment was mailed. They understood and dropped the penalty and interest. I cancelled payment on the lost check and sent them a new one for both months. I received notice the lost check showed up about 2 weeks after I made the payment for the 2 months. That means it took approx. 2 months to get to the CC company from the time I mailed it.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Part of the problem at USPS stems from their hiring practices.....practices put into place by the feds. When I was hired in almost 35 years ago, the local postmaster asked me if I'd be interested in working part time. No tests, no application form, no points system, just got trained and started working. Then things changed....veterans preference, minority preference, test scores, people being hired that no local connection, and the such. My last 4 substitutes were a Puerto Rican guy, and 3 Black girls. The Puerto Rican spoke just enough English to get by, training him was a chore. The first 2 Black women were ex-military as was the man. The received preferential hiring because they were veterans and minorities. The last Black girl was by far and away the best one. She was a local girl, not a vet, and now is full time. I saw dozens and dozens of people hired, and I'd say at least 75% didn't work out. Most of the worst USPS employees that I dealt with were vets and minorities, and usually a combination of both. Some of these people had the attitude that they were "owed", and you better not mess with them. But, by and large, USPS does a good job. They are not going to please everyone.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
First world problems.

Think about the fact that someone will come to your house, pick up a letter and deliver it to someone else's house all the way across the country for $.50 and then get back to me.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Haha!

I am MAGA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
way to go Midway! [bleep]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
My local post office has had three different "supervisors" in the last 5 years. I only go there because it's a lot closer than any other shipper. I get someone else's mail about once per month. They won't drive to my house to deliver anything if it won't fit in the mailbox. So yeah, I agree the hiring practices are subpar.

For efficiency, it's bad too. I was leaving a nearby city in rush hour one day. I'm getting out of town finally and getting on the interstate where it's 65 mph speed limit. Traffic is not that bad. The passing lane is clear. I'm going 45 mph stuck behind a pretty large box truck. What the hell? I go to pass and yep it's a mail carrier truck taking mail from a satellite city to the major city close by. That's right, a female USPS contractor? carrying mail. Don't worry about it! No rush, right ?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Knowing what I know about the Postal System, I don't have the personal dissatisfaction issues that many of you gents have.

Worked in the Postal System, once in College and once right after getting off Active Duty in the Army and going to the Reserves. Both times, getting assigned to the loading dock due to my size and being able to lift heavy weights.

People who complain about how long it takes to get a letter delivered, or package...consider the logistics...

it goes from your local PO to that Sectional Center...
From there it is transported to the Sectional Center or the delivery point... and then out to the local Post Office..

this is regardless if it is across town, two counties away or cross country...

your item spends the most time sitting in Que waiting to get transported from point A to Point B, just due to the volume handled.

Everyone experiences screw ups, but that is strictly by the volume of mail the PO is handling... its a numbers game...
and is actually a small percentage of the volume of mail that is handled.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (10gaugemag, 11point, 16penny, 10gaugeman, 160user, 1936M71, 67 invisible), 2,921 guests, and 1,326 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,383
Posts18,469,596
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.