Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I've never found light to be a significant problem with either ProChrono or Oehler light-screen chronographs. It had been in at least one other brand, but not those.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by mudhen
I suspect that you are overthinking this.

No doubt. It sounds like, outside of the elevation, we live in the same light conditions. I'll go back and re-read this thread. As I said, by the time the Labrador is completely outfitted, it is somewhere in the neighborhood of $700 (unit, case, tripod, bench stand, etc). That can buy several of what y'all have recommended here.

And Ken, I'll be careful and not put an Interlock through a screen!

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
laugh

IIRC,I shot the two chronographs with Nosler Partitions,they did over penetrate. grin

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I've never found light to be a significant problem with either ProChrono or Oehler light-screen chronographs. It had been in at least one other brand, but not those.

Thanks, John. Those are the two names that keep coming up in the chronograph threads.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by RevMike

Thanks, John. Those are the two names that keep coming up in the chronograph threads.

The prochrono is the Toyota Camry of chronographs, inexpensive & it just works. The Oehler is the Lexus, lots more expensive & works well too but the Camry gets you there just as reliably.

I've been using the prochrono for years, light isn't an issue with it, it works on cloudy days, bright days, & days in between. The only time light's a factor is late in the evening as the sun goes down. I can pretty much tell you to the minute when it'll quit reading as I watch the sun go behind the trees. That's not a design flaw, as long as the sun is just a few degrees above the horizon it's gonna read. It's got a pretty big shooting area & I can't figure out how guys manage to shoot them, but some do obviously.

$100 for a prochrono digital & $20 for a cheap tripod and you're set. If I were running a ballistics lab I'd have something fancier, but you really don't have to go crazy to get a reliable chronograph today.

IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
The prochrono is the Toyota Camry of chronographs, inexpensive & it just works. The Oehler is the Lexus, lots more expensive & works well too but the Camry gets you there just as reliably.

I've been using the prochrono for years, light isn't an issue with it, it works on cloudy days, bright days, & days in between. The only time light's a factor is late in the evening as the sun goes down. I can pretty much tell you to the minute when it'll quit reading as I watch the sun go behind the trees. That's not a design flaw, as long as the sun is just a few degrees above the horizon it's gonna read. It's got a pretty big shooting area & I can't figure out how guys manage to shoot them, but some do obviously.

$100 for a prochrono digital & $20 for a cheap tripod and you're set. If I were running a ballistics lab I'd have something fancier, but you really don't have to go crazy to get a reliable chronograph today.

Most of my range time is mid morning or mid afternoon, and then it's generally only to check loads and scope zero, since the rest is practicing different positions and distances for hunting. I expect the ProChrono will be fine. I might even splurge for the Bluetooth connection for my phone. It's about the same price as the Labradar carrying case!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Pro Crono is a good way to go for about $100.00

I have had mine for years with no problem. It is simple and easy to use.

Nifty-250

"If you don't know where you're going, you may wind up somewhere else".
Yogi Berra
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I use the Pro Chrono. It's not fussy in the least. I bought their Bluetooth module, which instantly sends data directly to my iPad or iPhone for display, evaluation and storage. It's a great little unit.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I've been using a PACT for 15 years or so. It's very reliable. I've seen tests that indicate it's not quite as accurate as some other units, especially Oehler and CED. I'm considering a Lab Radar at some point so I don't have to deal with sky screens, but they're pretty expensive.

Do people use chrono's with sky screens in the rain? I've avoided that, and since we get a lot of rain in this area, it limits the when I can use my chrono.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

I suspect that "at least one other" would include Shooting Chrony. Been very happy with ProChrono.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
IC B3

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I recently plugged a skyscreen that belongs to the club where I shoot, so I was on the hook for replacing it. Instead of replacing an old system, I just forked out the cash for a Magneto Speed. It's much faster and easier to set up and you don't hold up all the other shooters dicking around with a tripod in front of the firing line.

If you have your own place to shoot then I'd go with something more conventional, but the Magneto Speed rules for public range use.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I bought a CED Millennium about 8 or 9 years ago. It still works perfectly and I couldn't be happier.

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bought a Shooting Chrony from Midway about 30 years ago. Works great. Says on the box "Diamonds last forever, Shooting Chrony is working on it". I believe them.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Just ordered a ProChrono Pal off Amazon for under 90 bucks shipped.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.

John Wayne
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You should get the Blue Tooth module!

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I've tried the regular chronos with screens and now have a magneto speed. I don't like the fact that setting up screens is a problem on a range and lighting seemed to be a problem. One area I shot had trees and the light coming through the leaves seemed to mess with the chrono. The magnetospeed almost never misses a shot, but it does change POI and accuracy. Going to try a lab radar next. On paper it seems like the best of all worlds. We'll see.

For the Magnetospeed, there ought to be a way to attach the sensor to the forward sling connection similar to how a bipod attaches. If a stiff, I-beam ran forward to attach the magnetospeed with at most, a very soft foam bumper to insure it could not deflect into the bullet flight path, it might alleviate the POI and accuracy changes enough.

Last edited by prm; 05/02/17.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I'm must be one of the few here that didn't have a good experience with the Magneto. I thought the concept was good but the attaching to the barrel not, and particularly how it attaches which in my case required constant fiddling between shots. It looks like Dirtfarmer circumvented that problem but I didn't bother -- that's not how they sold it.

Went to a ProChrono and haven't looked back. To be fair, I shoot on a private, makeshift range so don't have to worry about others or getting in front of the line to make adjustments.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

615 members (10gaugeman, 007FJ, 160user, 10Glocks, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 60 invisible), 2,702 guests, and 1,171 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,791
Posts18,477,334
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.