Print Thread
Hop To
Page 33 of 37 1 2 31 32 33 34 35 36 37
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
It may not be that simple Miles. The earlier life of Paul the Apostle may tell us something.

As you said, simply asking is always good.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
GB1

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Starman

[quote=CCCC]

such Christians understand the importance of defending their faith.

Defending what christians claim to be spiritual through a carnal form of defensiveness?
you have your wires crossed.

Originally Posted by CCCC

Those who attack and decry Christianity and Christians here are not bothersome or upsetting,

People who claim to be not at all bothered would not find the need to defend. [/quote

And, why do some rush to attack?

Defending is more understandable than is attacking.

If you think that my starting this thread was an "attack" on non-believers, I refer you to Miles' comment about snowflakes.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Men study science to disprove God who made it.
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Men deny God to convince themselves they do not have to account to Him.

Here are the first two stones thrown on this thread.

If you live in a glass theology, perhaps you shouldn't be throwing stones.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

And your reason to open this thread in the beginning? miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by milespatton

And your reason to open this thread in the beginning? miles

Are you trying to tell me what threads I can and cannot read?

Everytime a thread on religion or philosophy is started on this forum I will join it. And when Christians start throwing rocks, I will throw them back.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A S ......have you ever considered the fact that individual conceptions of God are practically endless, so it would take a lot of dialogue to understand, and then refute, each claim.?

It's easier just treat all believers as Ringman and paint us into his narrow little 6000 year old world.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

Everybody was wishing their Easter well-to-do, and you post this:

First Sunday, after the first full moon, after the Spring Solstice. And Christmas is 3 days after the Winter Solstice.

Either way, the Lamb and homemade Merlot today will be great!

Don't play Coy.! You think the rest of us can't spot your childish attempts to antagonize? You're always itching for a fight and can't wait to poke Christians in the eye, and you've found this is the easiest to do it. It's what you live for.

So do us all a favor and stop with your "innocence" routine.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by curdog4570
A S ......have you ever considered the fact that individual conceptions of God are practically endless, so it would take a lot of dialogue to understand, and then refute, each claim.?

Gene,

That's why when someone asks me to disprove a god I first ask them to define the god in question.

As an example, you have more deist tendencies, and really don't seem to care all that much what the scriptures actually say. That is a much different position the Ringmans.

It's also why I'll ask participants if they believe in a young earth. There answer will tell me a lot about where they stand on the Curdog to Ringman continuum.

Also Curdog,

Think about where you and I've been debating lately. It's this very narrow piece of grounds around the reliability of internal personal experience as evidence. You don't throw many rocks, so I have nothing to throw back.

Others are quick to impune the motives and ethics of those of different beliefs, which is often followed with a thread of eternal torture, so yes, those rocks get tossed back.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444

Everybody was wishing their Easter well-to-do, and you post this:

First Sunday, after the first full moon, after the Spring Solstice. And Christmas is 3 days after the Winter Solstice.

Don't play Coy.! You think the rest of us can't spot your childish attempts to antagonize? You're always itching for a fight and can't wait to poke Christians in the eye, and you've found this is the easiest to do it. It's what you live for.

So do us all a favor and stop with your "innocence" routine.

How about we put this in context:

Originally Posted by kingston
I always found it interesting that Easter coincides with the coming of Spring, but I'm up North.

Could someone post about the pope that changed the pagan holidays to Christian?

The date changes nothing from the fact however.

And further down the page:

No.

The Scientific method is the best method to discover truth, what ever that may be.

Jesus is the Word and the Word is Truth.

Easter Truce.

We can pick this up another day.

But of course that doesn't fit your victim narrative.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Starman

such Christians understand the importance of defending their faith.
Defending what christians claim to be spiritual through a carnal form of defensiveness?
you have your wires crossed.
Those who attack and decry Christianity and Christians here are not bothersome or upsetting,
People who claim to be not at all bothered would not find the need to defend.

Starman - you're the one with crossed wires if you even begin to think that Christians do not realize that we live in a carnal world and will encounter carnal issues every day - our natural state is as carnal humans. Get real.

And, have you any concept of the difference between one not being internally bothered or upset by nasty attacks, but deciding to defend something very important on the basis of principle. If you can grasp that, you may be able to see why your post comes across as deliberate and devious nastiness. If you can't grasp the difference, your posts are even more worthless.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Are you trying to tell me what threads I can and cannot read?

Where did you get this idea, as I said nothing similar? I was just curious as to your reason, and now I know. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
So, AS, i am involved in a thread of Christians discussing Easter and the Lord among ourselves and i screwed the pooch by saying men use science to try to disprove the story of Easter and the Lord, thus causing you to intervene in our discussion and cause you to try to use science to disprove the story of Easter and the Lord, right? Ha. How unreal and disingenuous.

You just had to prove me correct and couldn't resist interrupting our little fantasy party.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

Gene,

That's why when someone asks me to disprove a god I first ask them to define the god in question.

As an example, you have more deist tendencies, and really don't seem to care all that much what the scriptures actually say. That is a much different position the Ringmans.

It's also why I'll ask participants if they believe in a young earth. There answer will tell me a lot about where they stand on the Curdog to Ringman continuum.

Also Curdog,

Think about where you and I've been debating lately. It's this very narrow piece of grounds around the reliability of internal personal experience as evidence. You don't throw many rocks, so I have nothing to throw back.

Others are quick to impune the motives and ethics of those of different beliefs, which is often followed with a thread of eternal torture, so yes, those rocks get tossed back.

I'll correct errors in your thinking as it pertains to me:

That "internal personal experience " you mention is evident ONLY to the person with the experience.

The improvement in the person's outlook on life, and his behavior is evident to all who knew him before and after. And unless you are willing to lay aside your prejudice and approach their stories with an open mind, you lack the one true ingredient of the scientific approach.

You should give as much credibility to Jung as to Freud, and you really should read "Varieties of Religious Experience" by William James since you seem to have an interest in the topic.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A

Gene,

Also Curdog,

I'll correct errors in your thinking as it pertains to me:

That "internal personal experience " you mention is evident ONLY to the person with the experience.

The improvement in the person's outlook on life, and his behavior is evident to all who knew him before and after. And unless you are willing to lay aside your prejudice and approach their stories with an open mind, you lack the one true ingredient of the scientific approach.

You should give as much credibility to Jung as to Freud, and you really should read "Varieties of Religious Experience" by William James since you seem to have an interest in the topic.

Curdog,

People make equal claims about a wide variety of religions. I know people who credit their personal improvements to hearing their dead ancestors. Should I accept that as "Scientific Evidence"?

How about the contra position of non-believers making improvements in their life. Is it your position that only Christians can make improvements in their lives, and if not how does that reflect upon your claim?

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
The Dale Carnegie course can help a person improve his life, but deep, vital,Spiritual experiences which result in a rearrangement of the forces which drive a man's mind cannot be explained by medical science.They cannot be brought about by synthetic methods, though many Doctors have tried.

Jung and his followers attempted it in the 'twenties and 'thirties, calling it " moral psychology", but it was a hit and miss affair. Jung was honest enough to admit that it seemed to be the province of some Higher Power beyond his ability to define.

And...... if a man found inner peace and a better life by communing with his ancestors, who am I to denigrate it?

The important things which add to our daily lives lie outside the province of proper science. The "scientific rope" is not long enough to fashion a loop which will encompass the whole of the Universe.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
The Dale Carnegie course can help a person improve his life, but deep, vital,Spiritual experiences which result in a rearrangement of the forces which drive a man's mind cannot be explained by medical science.They cannot be brought about by synthetic methods, though many Doctors have tried.

Jung and his followers attempted it in the 'twenties and 'thirties, calling it " moral psychology", but it was a hit and miss affair. Jung was honest enough to admit that it seemed to be the province of some Higher Power beyond his ability to define.

And...... if a man found inner peace and a better life by communing with his ancestors, who am I to denigrate it?

The important things which add to our daily lives lie outside the province of proper science. The "scientific rope" is not long enough to fashion a loop which will encompass the whole of the Universe.

Curdog,

The 20's were almost a 100 years ago. We've learned a whole lot since then.

As for what can we "science". You can science anything:
[img]https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0...a54a-7ba8c1ce4554_large.jpg?v=1453220244[/img]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Starman - you're the one with crossed wires...If you can't grasp the difference, your posts are even more worthless.

reminder , You are the crazy irrational one that stated my reading of and listening to christians is 'mind reading'

its a pity the less educated christians often have the loudest voice of the christian fraternity.
this might help you with your ignorance:

listen (def.) give ones attention to a sound

read(def.)comprehend the meaning of written or printed matter.

mind read(def.) a person who can supposedly discern what another person is thinking.

have you any concept of the difference between one not being internally bothered or upset by nasty attacks...

internal or external, fact remains you are bothered.. otherwise you would have no cause to mount a defence.

to pretend otherwise is imbecilic.

you may be able to see why your post comes across as deliberate and devious nastiness.

Anything that doesn't suit you, you take offence to, proves my previous point about precious christians playing the victim card.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Thats a lie. You cant science the missing link and you never will, truthfully or honestly.

No 1. You cant science life.

I Dindo Nuffin
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Thats a lie. You cant science the missing link and you never will, truthfully or honestly.

No 1. You cant science life.

Yea,

We can:

[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Make some life from the elements. I dare ya.

As R Reagen told Sam Donaldson, your ancestors may have come from monkeys, not mine. Same here.

Last edited by jaguartx; 04/30/17.

I Dindo Nuffin
Page 33 of 37 1 2 31 32 33 34 35 36 37

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

614 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 160user, 12344mag, 16penny, 01Foreman400, 59 invisible), 2,369 guests, and 1,213 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,823
Posts18,477,875
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.