Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Was able to pick the Roberts up today, I would love to post some pictures to the forums for your opinion's but can not get Photo bucket to work. Any direct attachments always say file too large.. I have always had a hard time judging %, but I really think this one is 95+ perhaps even 98%. Bluing is still on the bolt face for the most part. Anyone willing to post pictures for me?

GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Sounds like an awesome rifle. I love that 257 Roberts. The parent case is one of my favorites.

Semper Fi
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
I hate photo bucket... You got a free picture of a late 20's Hand Ejector 6" I frame in 32 Long.. Only half or the 257 pictures. LOL

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Looks very nice to me. Congratulations on a nice snag.

If your a leftist, whatever Donald Trump says or does, that pisses you off rest assured, I am a Happy Camper!
IC B2

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Very, very nice....

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nice.....

"By the time you realize your father was a smart man, you have a teenager telling you just how stupid you are."
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Rather poor pictures, just a slight drag line on the receiver from the bolt. My 300H&H was without bluing there. Not a mark on the top of the receiver and blanking screws still in place. I have a mount, a scope, dies, brass and bullets coming. Wondering if I should shoot this one. Or just put in the safe for a later date..

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Learning a few things, first time I had a shorter round in the long action. The rotating bolt stop is something I've never seen. The magazine also has an insert at an angle for the shorter Roberts round. I've always called the 7X57 a Medium action round..

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Also the first time I have seen bluing on the bolt face, as well as the feed ramp. Is that normal? It's either a really good example or a very professional redo. I don't have enough knowledge to know for sure. Have too see if I can find an expert in the area that can look it over in person.

IC B3

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Looking at pictures is tough, but the finish on everything looks very even. The Wood, the metal condition all match very well from what I see.

If your a leftist, whatever Donald Trump says or does, that pisses you off rest assured, I am a Happy Camper!
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Smithrjd: In my opinion that Rifle is way to valuable as is, to shoot or modify it.
Want to shoot a nifty Rifle in caliber 257 Roberts go buy a Remington 700 Classic!
They are VERY accurate.
In decades past I have shot pre-64 Model 70's in caliber 257 Roberts and it was fun but nothing that differed from shooting a Remington 722, a Remington 700, a Ruger Model 77 or a Ruger #1 in the same caliber.
I would keep your Rifle in the condition it is today.
Just my humble opinion - its YOUR Rifle, but I would not consider shooting ANY of my pre-64 Model Model 70's in caliber 257 Roberts.
Enjoy your cool Rifle.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
I really appreciate all of the feedback. This one scares me, everything I know says it is original and in a condition not often seen. Going to clean it oil it and not shoot it for now. First firearm I have had that I may not shoot. I can send the complete set of High Resolution pictures to anyone as well..
Thanks,
Ron

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Looking at the sites as in aiming the rifle noticed another odd thing, it appears the front sight has a sliver dot at the top. Have not seen that on others I have had. Actually very easy to set the sight in the rear notch.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Man, that rifle is beautiful! Congrats on such a great looking rifle!

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
That's a beauty. You did very well on that one. You will always be able to make your money back on that one, plus some. Even if you shoot it. Take good care of it, like I do mine and it will continue to rise in value.... wink

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Congrats on a fine looking .257 Roberts M/70, besides being a low production caliber it has been my experience that .257 M/70's can be found in two categories excellent like the rifle that is the topic and well used/modified.
It is harder to fine shooter grade .257's in my experience.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Everyone has an opinion, but I believe good rifles are meant to be used. I have posted similar before, but here goes:
Imagine you have two rifles to choose from. One is virtually new in box, and has never been fired, or even loaded. The other is gently used, well cared for, and is known to feed well, eject well, and drive tacks. It is a proven gun. Which would you take? I guess the answer depends on why you picked it. The first is worth more as an "artifact", but the second is known to be a good "rifle."

My point is shoot/not shoot is a purely monetary decision. It is not your kid sister's virginity. Down the road, someone who asks "What's the big deal about Pre '64 M70's?" will get more "education" handling and shooting the second rifle than they will from handling the first with white cotton gloves. So while gentle use does lower the value of the "artifact", it doesn't lower the value of a "rifle."

Having said all that, and everyone has an opinion, I make two more comments:
First, I don't like to see people change a historical rifle by rebarreling, restocking, etc. Using my example above, when someone asks that "What's the big deal . . ." question, I want to hand them an unaltered example to handle and shoot. There are enough shot out barrels, ruined stocks, etc. to do that stuff to, so leave the remaining "good" ones alone. Again, my opinion only, but it bothers me more to see someone mess with a "good" one than it does to see someone shoot a "new" one. "Parting one out" makes my soul hurt. I know that is just money too, but it still bugs me.

Second, I will be the first to admit that the more rare the rifle, the less inclined I would be to shoot it. If nothing else, it is a bigger money decision. But hey, if you have a new-in-box African, you want to shoot it, and you are willing to take the $ hit, I won't call you a Philistine for doing so.

Again, my opinion only.

Last edited by GunDoc7; 05/02/17. Reason: Changed "bought it" to "picked it."

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
http://s1243.photobucket.com/user/smithrjd/media/20170501_180704_zpsjabdgg8j.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1

A couple of the missing pictures, I am going to wait and see as to if I will shoot it. I don't really need too, I have other rifles. I seriously doubt it would ever be hunted. I do however shoot everything I own. Some pistols are rare and they get shot. I am pretty sure even if I do shoot it I will not lose any money on it, as I got it for a good price.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Several years ago when I was visiting Randy Shuman at his shop in Pennsylvania he told me "use with care doesn't hurt" and I won't own a rifle Win M/70 or other that I cannot shoot and hunt with.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

84 members (808outdoors, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 907brass, 14 invisible), 15,034 guests, and 1,083 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,107
Posts18,541,911
Members74,057
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.