Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Bugger Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
What's the deal on the new powders from Shooters World?

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
GB1

Bugger Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Has no one seen these powders?

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Seen but know nothing. Yes, it is out there.

Society of Intolerant Old Men. Rifle Slut Division
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I've bought several of their powders, but haven't had a chance to shoot any yet.
They are small-kernel and should meter well.
Most of what I got are for pistol, but do have some for small rifles ;ie .222 Remington and 7.62x39.
I'll report my findings here as soon as I can get some downrange.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
If it was sold locally, I'd get some to try just because it's pretty inexpensive and from Explosia, a Czech company that manufactured Accurate Powders,so should be of decent quality.
They have some load data for Shooter's World and Lovex on their website.
http://shootersworldsc.com/reloading-guide/

The thing is, I can get 4# or 8# bottles of Hodgdon or Alliant products locally for what Shooter's World and Lovex would cost after HAZMAT and Shipping fees.

There's nothing special from what I've read, i.e. no mention of temp stability coating or anti-copper fouling components.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Mad
Campfire Ranger
I saw it on Graf's website and was wondering about it myself.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
L
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
Midsouth has it on sale now. I thought that may have been where the OP saw it. I have seen it in one shop, but I did not buy any. If there are Shooters World powders in the right burn range, I may try some if the price is favorable. The shop where I saw it had it priced right on the heels of Hodgdon and IMR. Midsouth shows it about $10 per pound cheaper.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Deflagrate
If it was sold locally, I'd get some to try just because it's pretty inexpensive and from Explosia, a Czech company that manufactured Accurate Powders,so should be of decent quality. . .

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ this* ^ ^ ^ ^

* that is with the exception of availability. i've tried some really great powders in the past, only
to find that they were hard to replace after the fact, or couldn't be found within a reasonable
driving distance, or at the same reasonable price i'd initially paid. if you spend money on
components, and spare time (the most valuable thing to me) working up loads, then can't
load any at the same price you'd started at, you're just as well off to stick to a better known
long "established" powder that you can find about anywhere close to same price you can get
it at with little or no trouble.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I can buy it locally for under 20 bucks a pound and have used some of the pistol powders. So far they are working well. They seem to be close to Accurate powders. Probably a good thing as I use lots of AA powders and they are hard to find around my area.
The one I use the most has a burn rate like AA#5

L
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
I drove to the shop where I saw the Shooters World powders and asked some questions. The staff could not verify whether the powders were identical to the Accurate powders they seem to share a burn rate with. This shop has a commercial reloading operation and they say they use Clean Shot (AA 2/WW 231 burn rate) and Match (AA2520 burn rate) by far the most in their reloads. Match is the slowest powder in their lineup. For some reason the Shooters World literature shows some Lovex powders that are not in the lineup here. The store clerk was putting together an order for more Shooters World powders, but confessed that she had never heard of the Lovex numbers. The powders were marked $24.95 across the board. Since Hodgdon/IMR/Accurate powders start at $29, I got a can of Match. I needed some powder for .308 loads. If it works I will buy in quantity online.

IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
AA had such horrible QC years back, that I"ve never bought any more. Though I need to make myself buy AA9 for Carolyns 10MM it seems.... but if the chance of QC lot to lot rears its head, even 10 bucks cheaper a pound ain't worth it.... OR you have to buy 50 or 100 pounds and just be done with it. 4 bucks or so less a pound I'd never take the chance personally.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
L
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
I need to build some .308 plinking rounds for a FAL and don't want to use up my Target or Tac doing it. This is a test run to see if the Shooters World powders are decent. I have used AA 2520 in the past and agree with you that lot to lot variation was often pretty bad. Mule Deer has said that Accurate is now more consistent since they are no longer buying surplus and pull down powders. If they work and I can save $10 a pound on powder, it will be worth it.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

621 members (12344mag, 1minute, 160user, 117LBS, 17CalFan, 1badf350, 58 invisible), 3,078 guests, and 1,234 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,966
Posts18,499,245
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.