Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
OT but a Jiffy Jack is the schit for a tandem axle flat tire.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
GB1

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I have sold all my trailers and trailerables. The next ones I get will still have bias ply tires and not radials..

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Well then, there are trailers, and, there are trailers. Most everything is hauled on a trailer, big truck trailer. It's the light trailers that give the grief.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Another advantage to trailer tires is they are made from compounds that resist dry rot/cracking from extended exposure. Most trailer tires spend more time sitting exposed to the elements and UV than they do on the road. Use trailer tires on trailers. Buy the best quality radial trailer tires you can find.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by watch4bear
Radials have thin sidewalls and are prone to punctures. On pavement they're alright.

Yes...I have 8 ply radials on my trailer and shall be replacing them with light truck tyres when they are done.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Truck tires on trailers suck. If you need a heavier tire for your trailer, get a heavier trailer tire. In your case go to an E rated radial tire from your current D rated radial.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by kingston
Truck tires on trailers suck. If you need a heavier tire for your trailer, get a heavier trailer tire. In your case go to an E rated radial tire from your current D rated radial.

Road work isn't the problem, and I am more concerned with staking a sidewall.

[Linked Image]

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I run Maxxis radial trailer tires on my 20 ft (14,000 lbs) twin axle PJ trailer.My friend owns a tire shop and told me to make sure to balance my trailer tires when I had them installed.Big difference in the way it rides/pulls now.

Last edited by coobie; 05/06/17.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I run the same wheels and tires on my trailer as my truck
Makes a lot of sense, makes logistics easier, a spare for each and I never get any trouble with the BFGs I always run anyhow

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My tire guy laughed at me when I told him I wanted a set of trailer tires balanced. I've since called him with requests to balance wheelbarrow tires, backhoe tires, manure spreader tires, etc. Initially he was speechless. Anymore, I get a hearty GFY, followed by a click.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JSTUART
Originally Posted by kingston

Road work isn't the problem, and I am more concerned with staking a sidewall.

[Linked Image]

Nice truck!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Originally Posted by gregintenn
If car tires work well on a car, what would be different about a trailer to make them unsuitable for it?

Because car tires don't get drug sideways on a regular basis. They're more plausible for single axle trailers.

I've heard this for a long time. But I can't see how it could be true... every time a car turns the front tires are subjected to some pretty substantial sideways forces. Dragged, pushed, however you want to describe it, its surprising they don't roll off the rim. Daily.

44henry

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Turn a tandem axle trailer around on gravel and it will leave marks on the gravel. Pavement would be harder on the tire because of added Gription.

Tire places charge for mount and balance. I get horse trailer tires balanced.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
With tandem axles, the less forward distance you travel during the turn, the more sideways stress on the tire. Turning sharp in a small space really drags the tires sideways. Car tire sidewalls aren't made for that kind of stress. It's also a good part of the reason that you can't get 50k miles out of a set of trailer tires. On corners, you're dragging rubber off the tread.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by 44henry
If car tires work well on a car, what would be different about a trailer to make them unsuitable for it?

Because car tires don't get drug sideways on a regular basis. They're more plausible for single axle trailers.

I've heard this for a long time. But I can't see how it could be true... every time a car turns the front tires are subjected to some pretty substantial sideways forces. Dragged, pushed, however you want to describe it, its surprising they don't roll off the rim. Daily.

44henry

Tow a tandem or triple wheel trailer for a while and get back to us again.........

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Tom264

44henry

Tow a tandem or triple wheel trailer for a while and get back to us again.........

I've seen dual wheels on tandem axle trailers pop the tires off the rims on concrete or asphalt.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

44henry

Take a troll through your local RV park, especially one with paved streets , and look at the tire tracks made by folks backing in their big 5th wheels..

[Linked Image]
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by jnyork

Take a troll through your local RV park, especially one with paved streets , and look at the tire tracks made by folks backing in their big 5th wheels..

Which troll would you take through an RV park?

Jeffo? Starman?

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

Because car tires don't get drug sideways on a regular basis.

Ok... I'll bite. Why would you drag them sideways?

When you back a tandem axle trailer one of the axles will turn and one will be drug sideways on the tight turns.
Even more when the trailer has triples, like my Raptor toy hauler... And I carry two spares and wheels every time I pull it and invariably use one on every trip.

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Carry two good spares, the right tools, and hope for nice weather when you have to change a blowout.
Sort of like Bob Uker on catching a nuckleball, "wait till it stops rolling, and pick it up."

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

586 members (160user, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 1OntarioJim, 204guy, 10Glocks, 67 invisible), 2,568 guests, and 1,163 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,812
Posts18,477,605
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.