Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Seafire
Sadly, the second of the BEST James Bonds has left the building.

Have to agree. Sean Connery will always be "Bond, James Bond", but Moore did a pretty good job as well. He was also played as a cousin on the old Maverick TV show.

21 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Jane Seymour as Solitaire: "Do we have time for lesson number three"?
Roger Moore as Bond: "Of course, no sense going off half cocked".

"Never force anything, just get a bigger hammer".
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
He was James Bond when I was a kid. Only years later did I discover that Sean Connery was James Bond too.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Sean Connery and Roger Moore are IMHO the best of those whom played "James Bond."

R.I.P. Mr. Roger Moore aka "Bond,James Bond."

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
for some reason I can't use my name as 007

Bond , James Bond
Dog , Persian Dog

doesn't sound cool.

P.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Maybe it's because the first Bond movie I watched was with Roger Moore, but I always thought he did a good job, even if some of the story lines he had to deal with were not up to par can't fault the actor.

I need to watch the Saint series, been a long time since I've caught any of them, and they were old then.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
He was a good James Bond, but nobody could touch Sean Connery.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
All the Bonds have their plusses. I don't see a huge difference between them.

Moore had probably the worst scripts to work with but managed well. Personally I prefer Brosnan over the others for the smartass humor.

After watching every one of the movies multiple times in recent years I'm convinced Connery is way overrated, but people are afraid to challenge the group think.

RIP Mr. Moore

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I thought he was pretty good.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by hatari
He was a good Bond when he had a good plot. The trouble the franchise had was not as much losing Connery, but the "Americanization" of Bond that started with Diamonds are Forever. That was such a hit with an American theme, then you have Live and Let Die, which had an American theme, that the whole franchise leaned that way. Man with the Golden Gun had to weave Sheriff Pepper into it, and really none of the Bonds until Daniel Craig recatured that British "tweed" to them. For your Eyes Only was decent as was the Spy Who Loved me, but it was very much geared to American audiences. I can't watch Moonraker. Don't mention Timothy Daltons horrible scripts. Pierce Brosnon did s decent job, but those scripts, though better than Dalton's never felt British. Stallone or Arnold could have been cast in the same role. We can thank the producers for bringing back the Brit feel with Craig. I'll excuse Quantum of Solace because of the writer's strike delaying that.

Sorry, Seafire, I have to agree with Hatari on this one. Roger Moore was a good enough actor and leading man, but his Bond films were pretty awful.

No doubt the stupid scripts had much to do with it, but he joked his way through them. Perhaps he was simply giving them the little respect they deserved.

Connery and Craig are the only ones in my opinion who have held up the level of the franchise.

Lucky for me, I eventually started watching them again after a long absence, when Craig started getting great reviews.

Norman Solberg
International lawyer, lately for 25 years in Japan, now working on trusts in the US, the 3rd greatest tax haven. NRA Life Member for over 50 years, NRA Endowment (2014), Patron (2016).
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I always post the same thing in response to these Bond threads.

The actors were just actors reading lines, whether it was Connery or Moore or even lacey cravated George Lazenby. What I can't agree with is how the studio execs, producers and directors turned Ian Fleming's cold war assassin and flawed human being into a cartoon character, all fancy gadgets and humorous quips after killing multiple people. Fleming's Bond was an alcoholic who smoked too much and was eventually troubled by the deaths of the people he killed. He wasn’t some judo/karate expert but would have used the hand to hand techniques taught to British commandos in WWII. The gadgets and toys – which were fairly limited and low-tech in the ‘50’s and early 60’s when he was created - were just means to an end and never the stars of the show.

Read the opening to Goldfinger as Fleming wrote it:

James Bond, with two double bourbons inside him, sat in the final departure lounge of Miami Airport and thought about life and death.

It was part of his profession to kill people. He had never liked doing it and when he had to kill he did it as well as he knew how and forgot about it. As a secret agent who held the rare double-O prefix—the licence to kill in the Secret Service—it was his duty to be as cool about death as a surgeon. If it happened, it happened. Regret was unprofessional—worse, it was death-watch beetle in the soul.

And yet there had been something curiously impressive about the death of the Mexican. It wasn't that he hadn't deserved to die. He was an evil man, a man they call in Mexico a capungo. A capungo is a bandit who will kill for as little as forty pesos, which is about twenty-five shillings—though probably he had been paid more to attempt the killing of Bond—and, from the look of him, he had been an instrument of pain and misery all his life. Yes, it had certainly been time for him to die; but when Bond had killed him, less than twenty-four hours before, life had gone out of the body so quickly, so utterly, that Bond had almost seen it come out of his mouth as it does, in the shape of a bird, in Haitian primitives.

What an extraordinary difference there was between a body full of person and a body that was empty! Now there is someone, now there is no one. This had been a Mexican with a name and an address, an employment card and perhaps a driving licence. Then something had gone out of him, out of the envelope of flesh and cheap clothes, and had left him an empty paper bag waiting for the dustcart. And the difference, the thing that had gone out of the stinking Mexican bandit, was greater than all Mexico.

Bond looked down at the weapon that had done it. The cutting edge of his right hand was red and swollen. It would soon show a bruise. Bond flexed the hand, kneading it with his left. He had been doing the same thing at intervals through the quick plane trip that had got him away. It was a painful process, but if he kept the circulation moving the hand would heal more quickly. One couldn't tell how soon the weapon would be needed again. Cynicism gathered at the corners of Bond's mouth.

That's James Bond, not some clown driving a submersible car out of the water with a corny joke.

Craig has brought a lot of the grittiness back to the role but I’d love to see a James Bond movie set in the Cold War of the late 50’s and true to the tone of Fleming’s Cmdr. Bond, a paid assassin. It could be dated and corny if they weren’t careful or it could be something as true to its time as the Godfather movies.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Bout the same thing they did with all the old Matt Helm books I use to read when kicked back in the service. The few movies they made of them were all made to be comedy's, Dean Martin played the part in at least a few of them, can't remember ever seeing any of them though!

Phil

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I liked Roger Moore and Timothy Dalton the best, All of the actors who have played Bond did a good job.

Gerry.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
RIP Sir Roger...My least favourite Bond, more down to the actual films being a travesty compared to the original books. Never read any of the books The Saint was based on, so enjoyed Moore in that without having any expectations but I guess my favourite of that genra was The Persuaders with Curtisbeing the perfect foil to Moore...

As for Connery, he was my favourite Bond, but the hypocrisy of him being rabidly anti-gun spoilt it for me...

Last edited by Pete E; 05/23/17.
O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by CharlieFoxtrot
SIR Roger Moore. May not be my favorite Bond, but he gave us enjoyable movies none-the-least.

Correct, he was knighted, I believe.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I can appreciate the posts of those that did....

but the theme I put forth here was the sad news of Roger Moore's passing...

NOT who was the BEST Bond... I enjoyed the Bond Movies with Roger Moore,
strictly because he was an actor I learned to enjoy, when young...

from The Saint TV show, which was actually well written.

I think the latest Bond movies are much better written than the scripts given
to Roger Moore when he played Bond.... but then so was so many other movie
and TV scripts during that period... they were almost all pretty Hokey...

My point, is we lost a very good actor in Roger. Certainly when Actors were respectful
people.. not the trash that occupies Hollyweird nowadays.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U can't for get .. Dr Holly Goodhead...lol

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
RIP Sir Roger.

I think Sir Roger was the 3rd best Bond with Daniel Craig in the #1 spot followed by 2nd place Connery.

Sir Roger did possess a good aggregate of the gentleman spy - emphasis on gentleman. Connery was more of the spy with a gentleman's panache.

However, Daniel Craig is a phoucking tiger in a suit which is more of what that really role is - not the phoucking Nancy that Brosnan made it into nor the in-bred looking [bleep] with the azz-chin Dalton.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Roger Moore was Bond when I was growing up. I love Moonraker and For Your Eyes Only for the same reasons I love Smoky and the Bandit and Flash Gordon. It is not because they were great movies, but they were great fun and remind me of a simpler time.

Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My favorite Moore scene was in Cannonball Run. He comes up to his adversary, declares "My name is Bond, James Bond" and promptly gets laid out.

The man must have had a great sense of humor to pull that scene off.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

539 members (1badf350, 1234, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 56 invisible), 2,457 guests, and 1,256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,557
Posts18,491,741
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.