Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
FlaRick Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Spent a couple of hours out back working on my boat this morning. Came in so wet from sweat it looked like I fell in the canal.

Don't expect to see another cool day here in the Tampa Bay area until October.

I'm better when I move.
GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Yes, summer has arrived here in Florida.
Now if we can start getting those afternoon rains, it's still pretty dry around here (Pasco County).

Stay cool

StarchedCover

Semper Fi
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Nice here.......48* overnight......sunny & 82* for the high.......

Provo & SLC and northern Utah bracing for very high runoff this week.........

Steams are fast........cold........rising..........

more drownings..........

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=44443731&am...-year-old-girl-swept-away-by-provo-river

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by FlaRick
Spent a couple of hours out back working on my boat this morning. Came in so wet from sweat it looked like I fell in the canal.

here in North FL, it was 74 last night, and over 96 in the back yard right now. Summer is upon us. Humidity is above 57%.

Sam......

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I hate summer, always have, always will.

I've been impressed on how much that sun slows you down when you age.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B2

J
J23 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by FlaRick

Hey Rick,

If you don't mind me hijacking your thread and picking your brain for a few moments, I will be heading down in your direction the last two weeks of June; my parents bought a place in Hernando County, and I'll be helping them move down there and do some work to their new house. While I'm down there, I wanted to do some fishing. Their place is only a few miles from Hernando Beach, can you recommend any places for me to wet a line; I would like to do some inshore, or as much as I can from land and/or kayak, which I'll be bringing with me.

If you cant recommend any place in particular, could you educate me a bit on the fishing down that way? I'm not at all familiar with the species, techniques, what will be biting in the June heat, etc. My only saltwater experience is from the Maryland Shore area, and from what I understand, it's totally different.

...as a born and raised Appalachian that doesn't do well with the relatively mild heat we have here, I'm probably gonna have a hard time with that heat and humidity when I come down.. Ugh.

Last edited by J23; 05/30/17.

"Ignorance is acceptable, because you can remedy it with knowledge and research. Stupidity is when you guard your ignorance."
Ted Nugent

"Idolizing a politician is like believing the stripper really likes you."
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Steelhead

Wife and I were commenting on this yesterday.... when its cool seems like we can keep going like we are not 52... in the heat and humidity, feels like we might be 72....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Jeff, I think you and I are exactly the same age. In the past few years I've really noticed it. The sun seems to be as much a factor as the humidity.

I was working in the yard the other day in the early morning, no problem. Then I had to do some sheit one afternoon at about 1pm with the sun straight on me. I too thought I was 72.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H

Yankees don't complain about the summer!

Originally Posted by RJY66

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
64 here currently. I'm somewhere South of Canada and West of Argentina. grin Low 70's forecasted for the rest of the week.

One is alone in a land so vast, there is only the mountains, the wind, and the eyes of God.
IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Jeff, I think you and I are exactly the same age. In the past few years I've really noticed it. The sun seems to be as much a factor as the humidity.

I was working in the yard the other day in the early morning, no problem. Then I had to do some sheit one afternoon at about 1pm with the sun straight on me. I too thought I was 72.

I had to cut storm damaged limbs Friday afternoon in the sun and heat/humidity before we could leave for the coast... index was about 106.... 10 minutes with the saw was pretty rough, though I"d had a stomach virus 2 days prior and puked one day all day... none of that helped...

They laugh at me now when I go out, long pants, long shirt, UV face hood, big hat with flaps. Just can't deal with this crap anymore.

Used to be out all day fishing in my teens in that kind of heat...

Another reason trying to get headed north as quickly as we can to at least enjoy something before we are too old... you know what I mean...We didn't plan our lives as smartly as we could have... regardless we've lived it well!

I REALLY despise the pager saying structure or vehicle fire in this heat...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by HitnRun

Yankees don't complain about the summer!

Proving yet again that Yankees ain't bright.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
J23,
I live down the road from Hernando Beach and do a little fishing.
For respectable trout, snook and reds you can try Jenkins Creek, you can buy live shrimp nearby and you can put your kayak in at the boat ramp.
I've fished the grass flats off Hudson (a few miles south of Hernando Beach) and have caught a nice mixed bag of trout. reds, black drum, tarpon, snook, Spanish mackerel and cobia.
Snook season is closed right now.
At Bayport Park there is a fishing pier but I've not fished there.

Send me a PM

StarchedCover

Semper Fi
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I feel for you down there. I've never been a summer guy. I spend two weeks in Florida at Camp Blanding Joint Training Center about 15 years ago. During our FTX, sweat would be running down the outside of my BDUs by 10:00 a.m. every day. It was more miserable, due to humidity I suspect, than the 18 days straight I spend in the box at NTC. At NTC, for 18 days, our lowest high was 106 degrees and I still thought, and think, Camp Blanding was worse.

Last edited by TheBigSky; 05/30/17. Reason: I corrected a spelling error.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Just got in from walking 18 holes of golf. It's 82° headed for about 88° but the humidity is 22% so I never felt damp the whole round.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
As a gardening type of guy, I like summer. Plants don't grow to well at -26F like we had this winter.

Summer is so different depending on location. Certain sections of coastal California can be downright gray during summer unless one heads inland a few miles. We had what's referred to as the June Gloom in the San Diego area and coastal N CA where I lived for 8 years was nice enough to get ripe tomatoes at my place 10 miles inland but it was not good right on the coast. Friends actually harvested tomatoes green and tried to get them to ripen indoors.

NW PA was nice enough but the humidity was not pleasant for a SoCal, desert loving guy. Not horrible humidity like you folks have down south, but bad enough it made sleeping without and A/C unpleasant. Temps were great and it sure beat 2' of snow on the ground and salt on the roads eating away at our vehicles.

SW AK, Juneau to be precise, was OK in the summer, it usually meant a day or two of sun before the clouds and drizzle came back. I think the summer I was there was the wettest July ever, August had 8-9" more rain than normal, and September was just a normal wet September. Certain plants don't do well there either.

Where I live now during the work year (soon to end in retirement!) summers are pretty sweet. Gets up over 100F a few days a year, humidity is low, I'm right near the river so nights seem to cool down quicker, most of the time it's high 80's to lower 90's. The place in NorCal we have is at about 4200' elevation and summers there are supposed to be similar to what we had at 7000' in AZ, 95 is considered a HOT day there. Sunny, so plants will grow, at least between Memorial and Labor days.

Now, for a REAL summer, nothing beats the canyons of the Colorado River between AZ and NV, except perhaps Death Valley. That was about the only location on the news that beat us for the hottest temp in the US on any given day. This was not an "average" day, just one that was quite a regular occurrence, sometimes multiple days in a row, and it was not even the hottest we had there. I just happened to have the camera handy that day and took a pic of the thermometer in the shade of the carport. Ranger at the station a half mile down the road said the "official" temp one day was 128!

[Linked Image]

My strawberries are getting ripe, tomato plants doing well, so I ain't gonna complain about summer too much.

Geno

PS, I don't mind winter too much either, I love going for walks in the woods when there's snow on the ground.

Last edited by Valsdad; 05/30/17.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Thankfully We've not seen the 120s in the shade here in quite a few years. I think it was 2011 to be precise....

I"m fairly sure that those temps would actually kill me if I had to deal with them again, other than just styaing inside for 3-4 months of the worst of summer.

I"m not sure I"ll like -50. I KNOW I don't like anything above 80 anymore. And despise anything over 90 and HATE anything over 100.....

Although if our humidity would be single digits I could be just a bit happier...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This is my 41st Florida summer, I love it. Hell, I thrive in it. Heat index over a hundo the past three or four days, makes the grass grow which puts food on the table.

Long Live The Judge

Thinking of moving to Florida? Don't........
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by billy336
This is my 41st Florida summer, I love it. Hell, I thrive in it. Heat index over a hundo the past three or four days, makes the grass grow which puts food on the table.

Heat index? What's that? confused

Where I live/have lived, when it's 105, or 115, or 122+

It's 105, or 115, or 122+

No indexing needed, it just is.

Geno

PS, I do know what the heat index is wink

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
FlaRick: Its a sunny, windless, balmy, beautiful and comfortable 76 here in SW Montana at 3:00 PM (MST)!
Aaaahhhh....
I think I am going to have a Snapple.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

635 members (10gaugeman, 10ring1, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 62 invisible), 2,050 guests, and 1,360 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,185
Posts18,523,843
Members74,030
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.