-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I've finally had enough of the entertainment industry. I've spent the last 10 years traveling the planet setting up stages for concerts, corporate events and television programs. I'm over it, it's time to walk away for a moment and do something I've always talked about. Tomorrow I'm calling American Airlines and using my frequent flyer miles to book a flight to Alaska.

My question to the residents is where do I go to get a boat job right now as a total greenhorn?

If I show up in Dillingham a couple of days into the sockeye season am I too late? I don't want to get stuck on the slime line at Peter Pan.
If I show up a day or two before, so this Thursday or Friday, is there a realistic chance of me getting on a boat?

Should I aim for a different location?

I'm looking to get off the plane with a backpack full of gear and find work immediately. Is this a real life option?

I'd appreciate any advice I can get. Thanks everyone.

Last edited by Stick1330; 06/04/17.

If it was easy, everybody would do it.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good boats are concerned with their profit and safety, so they have their crew setup in advance and hence they aren't going to risk both profit and safety by hiring a total greenhorn. That leaves the boats that no one wants to work on because they won't make money and may get killed and IMHO you probably don't want to crew on such boats. You're also competing against people from the Philippines, SE Asia and Eastern Europe that don't mind working long hours at dangerous jobs for low pay.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I enjoy reading books about the old Alaska of the 20's and 30's, but I think the days of just showing up and getting hired are over. I moved to Kodiak without a job, but my wife had one. I took what I could get, and soon found myself working 7 days a week. But it takes a little time to get connected in a new place. JMO

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The boat I fished on was out of Naknek. There were a couple of people per year in your situation going from boat to boat in the yards before the season. I know some of them got picked up. Some had to work in the cannery for a while before someone's crew member got hurt or fired and the captain was looking for a replacement. I'd suggest printing up a lot of "business cards" or just pieces of paper with your contact info to hand out.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Look to Kodiak for longer term work. Bristol Bay is mostly just reds and finishes early and far more expensive to get to and live.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I worked one summer in the early 90's on a set-netting operation out of Kenai. I drove to AK and found work with the owner along the way. Unfortunately, they guy turned out to be a real bastard and was dishonest as hell about the catch - we knew he was shorting us on the catch.

IMHO, You might try to find other work until you've made sufficient contacts to find boat work. As I'm sure you're aware, this is very dangerous, backbreaking work. It sounds like you've spent a lot of time thinking about this, but I would honestly recommend that you make sure you are truly ready to do this. It can be very rewarding work, but the personal costs can sometimes be very high.

Good luck.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Walking the docks sometimes work if you find a Boat that will take you on as crew ,understand the contract.The Tenders in the fleet would be a good bet especially if you have engineering,Hydraulic,electrical,refrigeration background .

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
Good boats are concerned with their profit and safety, so they have their crew setup in advance and hence they aren't going to risk both profit and safety by hiring a total greenhorn. That leaves the boats that no one wants to work on because they won't make money and may get killed and IMHO you probably don't want to crew on such boats. You're also competing against people from the Philippines, SE Asia and Eastern Europe that don't mind working long hours at dangerous jobs for low pay.

Yes. With the money involved, very few good boats will have a crew opening at last minute. But, you never know and you might have to eat [bleep] for a season to get on a good boat next year.

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I've done it on Kodiak. Hit the docks everyday and found some odd jobs until I got on a good boat.

Be sober and willing to work.

Used to have a decent homeless shelter there. Wasn't horrible unless you got stuck sleeping next to the crazy chronic masturbater. Lol.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

321 members (10gaugemag, 1lesfox, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 26 invisible), 1,747 guests, and 1,079 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,456
Posts18,508,101
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.