Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Looking at Dallas, perhaps Austin, Tx. Also, Tampa Area, perhaps the panhandle of Florida.

Anyone want to comment - Pros/Cons? Thanks.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You need to work?

Love the Panhandle, but things can be slow.

Tampa is not my favorite

Austin is liberal.

Dallas/FW not bad, but big and beaucoup traffic.

Give us your criteria.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Yes, looking to relo for work. Criteria: A good paying stable career would be nice. Is Austin as bad as say CA? Yes, traffic in Dallas is nuts, but if I lived close the commute might not be too bad. What's the scoop on Tampa area? Thanks much.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I am an hour N of the Tampa airport in Homosassa. Depends on where you want to be. Dunedin is nice but a hot spot now. Are you looking for beaches or hunting and fishing? What do you do for work?

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you currently live in a metropolitan area, Austin won't seem that bad. There is a lot going on there, both economically and culturally. If you currently live in a rural or semi-rural area, it will probably be a bit overwhelming. My only brush with the Panhandle of Florida was Pensacola back when I was in the Navy--no current info or insight. Probably should PM some of the campfire members that live in both areas and ask specific questions. If I were looking to relocate to Texas, I would take a hard look at San Antonio. It is a culturally diverse city with a lot of charm and amenities. Both of my daughters and their families migrated there, by their own choice.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
PM me if you have specific questions about the Austin area.

Yes, it's run by a bunch of liberal fruitcakes. It's also got more jobs than you can shake a stick at and nearly noncrime that you'll notice.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 65BR
Is Austin as bad as say CA?

No but it's probably 60%. Traffic is terrible. Summer lasts 6 months and it's really hot. Property taxes have skyrocketed as have housing prices. Politics are ridiculous at the city level for liberal reasons and ridiculous at the state level for conservative reasons. Despite these things the absolute worst thing about Austin is the allergies. Something caustic blooms 9 months of the year(Ragweed in the fall, Cedar in the winter, Oak and Grasses in the spring, and mold year round) and if you have a small allergy it will become debilitating.

The good things are crime is very low, there are lots of jobs, lots of single women, the people are polite and friendly(compared to where I came from), there are lots of restaurants, and it's fairly scenic...for Texas.

Quando omni flunkus moritati
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Austin is a pretty cool town and the panhandle of Florida is one of my favorite areas in the south east.

Austin will have more jobs, entertainment, restaurants, etc......The panhandle has great beaches and is pretty relaxed. Definitely more "southern".

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Austin is FUBAR for traffic. The I 35 parking lot, MO-PAC or more-pac. Williamson and Travis counties are getting expensive i.e. Rent, taxes. Hey, but it is weird and I guess people love that.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
I'm 25 miles east of Austin. We are becoming extremely cosmopolitan here in the creek bottom so you get the mix of say Los Angeles with just the right touch of banjo pickin' inbreds to make it all interesting!!!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
The panhandle is nice. Plenty of work, especially if you like building / fixing stuff. World class fishing, and the hunting is better in N. Fl. than most who live there realize. We go to P'cola on a regular basis and are headed that way today. Quite a bit of retired military in the area "with just the right touch of banjo pickin' inbreds to make it all interesting!!!" Thanks kaywoodie!

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Anytime Bama! 😁

Founder

WS

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Spend a long evening down on 6th street in Austin before you make up your mind... wink

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Spend a long evening down on 6th street in Austin before you make up your mind... wink

Everyone in town who owns a guitar is a musician! Even if they really can play it!!

Founder

WS

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

Everyone in town who owns a guitar is a musician! Even if they really can play it!!

The rooster heads come out of the woodworks after dark there on 6th street...

Some of the "musicians" only play a meat flute...

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
And we ALL know about the piccolo player!!!!

😉

Founder

WS

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I think it depends on what you are looking for. You should have good access to deer hunting in any part of Texas. You can also do that in the Panhandle of Florida, either in Florida proper or into Alabama. Great saltwater fishing along the panhandle. I have caught big azz Red Snapper six miles off the beach.

Tampa will have good saltwater fishing and good fresh water fishing near-by, but you will be a long ways from any really good deer hunting. I had a guy in my deer club in SC last year that lived in Tampa and drove 9 hours up on the weekends to hunt deer.

Remember, if you have kids and move to Austin, they will be exposed to all the liberal kids.....I'd not want that.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Go to Florida

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
If it's any kind of barometer, there is no one from the south moving here to this county. Excluding Mexico. Whole Lots From there. Three top states appear to be California, Minnesota, and Wisconsin. Least that's where they tell me where the're from. Smartest ones I know who moved here like 15-35 years ago are all the retired Air Force staff NCO's from just about all over who stayed here after Bergstrom AFB shut down. Reason I know they are smart is because they have no issues telling you just how damn smart they are! 😂

Founder

WS

65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Good stuff, a little amusement as well. Work - Past mostly healthcare sales, stint as a Financial Consultant that began the week before 9 11.........and an MBA in 2014 that I want to put to good use. As much as I like hunting, work is the primary consideration, single ladies next. My children are grown so it's just me looking to make a change.

Saltwater fishing is very alluring, and might trump deer hunting. Crime, as in low crime is important. As to the heat, well being here in La, it's what I know, though have entertained moving to northwest Ar, Bentonville/Rogers, Fayetteville area where the Ozarks helps to qwell the summer heat. Traffic will be an adjustment in a metro, been thru Dallas not long ago, and heard about Austin. Yes, it seems Taxes keep increasing, but the property values do to, I guess it's a by-product, perhaps a wash if you don't sell in a downturn. That said, not keen of paying MORE taxes, but if the salary offset...........and the Music piece of Austin would be nice. Not looking for trouble on 6th but here it's something to see. Perhaps I need to make a trip to Austin just to take a look.

Appreciate the input by all, enjoyed the info, and a few laughs smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

80 members (01Foreman400, blackhawk44, Big1bud, BALLISTIK, 5sdad, 11 invisible), 1,399 guests, and 762 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,207
Posts18,503,872
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.