Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
T
TomM1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by JamesJr
I consider a number of my rifles to be "walking varmint" rifles, because I hunt coyotes, and do a lot of walking. I have 3 Bushnell Elite 3200's in 5X15 that I have on a 223. and a pair of 243's. I also have a couple of 4X12's, 3.5X10, and 3X9's that I have on other rifles. I prefer the higher power, simply because I have old eyes, but when I'm on a stand calling, I usually have those higher powered scopes set on 8-10 power if I'm in the open, less if I'm in the woods. I just like having the option of as much magnification as possible, but everyone is different.

Thats pretty much where Im at. The 4 power for any calling I might do (havent been in years), 6-9 power for groundhogs. I like the option of going higher than 9 for target work, which is what this rifle is primarily used for. Ive always favored low power variables and 4, 6x. Never owned a scope over 9x, so kinda an itch I want to scratch.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I'm a pretty big fan of the Weaver scopes also. For the money they are hard to beat! They tend to have a little less forgiving eye relief or sweet spot in them compared to some of your higher end scopes but the glass and appearance of the reticle are pretty decent.

==================================================

I'm a proud member of the BGE cult ... yes, I consider myself an EGGHEAD
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
A 4-12 RedField Revolution would also be a solid choice.

... there's lots of options

T
TomM1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by RickyBobby
I'm a pretty big fan of the Weaver scopes also. For the money they are hard to beat! They tend to have a little less forgiving eye relief or sweet spot in them compared to some of your higher end scopes but the glass and appearance of the reticle are pretty decent.

I hear ya, I was a 2-7 guy for a lot of years, usually a Leupold VX-1 or II, then I tried a weaver classic V7, wow. Still my favotite short tube scope. I've always wanted a V16, but not sure they are worth twice the cost of so e of the other 4-12/14 options. Natchez had a sale on then which I missed out on, might wait a while and see if they run it again.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Have you ever had the chance to look through or use a RedField Revolution? I run several on rifles and rate them about same as my Weavers ... maybe even a touch better. They tend to be a bit heavier overall and the power adjustment seems a little harder or stiffer to turn but that would be my only minor complaints or opinions. Glass, reticle, eye relief, and FOV are all nice!

IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by TomM1
Ive got a Tikka 222 that I use for groundhogs and range work. It currently wears a sightron S1 3-9, but the image gets a bit hazy out past 100 yds and the crosshairs are too thick for detailed target work. I was thinking about going to a 4-12, or possibly a weaver classic V16. I do carry it some while hunting and dont want anything too big. Any ideas? Curious what others are using on their 222's, Hornets and 223's?

Fixate the things that steer boolits and forget the Fluff.

The 6X MQ Fixed Fhuqker has no equal and is at ease at spittin' distances,or at a mile or better.

I do it daily.

Hint.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Feel free to regale us with lies of "varmint" killin...... laffin

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dave_in_WV
I suggest buying better glass than more magnification. In my experience less magnification with better resolution trumps more magnification with poor resolution.

More magnification with good glass trumps less magnification with good glass.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Ringman
Originally Posted by Dave_in_WV
I suggest buying better glass than more magnification. In my experience less magnification with better resolution trumps more magnification with poor resolution.

More magnification with good glass trumps less magnification with good glass.

To make a blanket statement like that is just simply trolling or you just simply are that naive...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My rifles are all walking varminters 223...2-222's....17Rem...17FB. They all wear Leupolds with plex reticules.

VX3 2.5-8 is my favorite but if I'm shooting any kind of distance my old peepers like a 3.5-10 or 4.5-14.

Anything over 14X is too heavy and mirage becomes a problem.

IC B3

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Last 3 walking varmint rifles wore:

Leupold 3-9X EFR
Redfield Revolution 4-12X
Leupold 4-12X AO VX2.

Wish the Gold Ring Boys made the full size 3-9X AO again.

I have a 2.5-8X but it's going on a deer rifle. Think it a little small up front in looks, for a chuck/yote zapper.

Last edited by hookeye; 06/04/17.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Hard to beat the SWFA 6x. Fast reticle, clear glass, great internals, unbeatable price. I use a SWFA 10x because they never show up close for me.

How do you know a Trump hater? They'll tell you.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
SWFA 6x42 works for me......

[Linked Image]

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Leupold 3x-9x works very well for me.
This coyote was about 65 yards away when I killed it.
[Linked Image]

This was around 200 yards away. Killed it up in Northern New Mexico,January 2016.
[Linked Image]

I leave the scope on 6x and have no problems with coyotes near or far.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
TomM1: I am a "Leupold kind of guy" through and through and have "walking" type Varminters with BOTH the power ranges you mention.
My advice is this buy a quality scope in either power range but be sure it has the adjustable objective feature.
And my first choice in brands is a toss-up between the wonderful Weaver V-16 and the ever trustworthy and American made Leupold 4x12 with A/O both with the Du-Plex style reticle.
Best of luck with whichever you choose - DON'T though skimp on scope power - there WILL be times when your "walking Varminter" will need that 12 or 16 power top end!
I know, I been there.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Two things that have virtually disappeared from the market that were very useful IMHO are 8x scopes and crosshair reticles. Way back when, I had a Garcia Sako .223 with a Lyman 8x scope. The fine crosshair (crosswire) reticle in that scope was perfect for the purpose. I bitterly regret trading that little jewel for something else that was soon gone with the wind.

I think that a fine reticle is worth a couple of Xs of power for shooting that requires close holding and keeps the flexibility of a lower power for shooting up close and offhand and other less-than-steady positions. For your use, I'd think about one of the fixed 6 Leupys with the wide duplex or better, a Custom Shop crosshair.

Or just find an older fixed 8 somewhere.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T3 in 223 VX3 2.5-8 with a M1 elevation turret.

V
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
V
Received 2 weeks ago the SWFA3-15x42 Great quality FFP scope, illuminated reticle, glass coating, also got the lever. Expensive but excellent smirk

Last edited by Volatil; 06/10/17.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I topped my sporter 22-250 with a Redfield 3-9. Before that, it was a Leupold fixed 4. I may go back to the 4.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Any good 3-9 or 4-12 scope of your favorite brand.

What I don't get is those who advise an adjustable objective (AO). What is the point? Most scopes are parallax free at 100 - 150 yds, if the varmint is closer then just shoot it, you will not have time to adjust the AO anyway. If it is a further then just shoot it - parallax will be a minimal, if any, issue.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

140 members (35, arky65, 240NMC, 10Glocks, afisher, 11 invisible), 1,508 guests, and 817 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,603
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.