Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Don't take much heat to make you snowflakes melt does it.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I also suspect, but don't know for sure, that friction adjustments are cheaper and less complicated than clicks, so when click adjustments were added to scopes built to a price point, reliability may have been compromised. A lot of the Leupold toughness reputation was built on friction models. For set-and-forget use, an older friction model still makes sense to me, and makes seeking out nice used ones worthwhile, as well as keeping the ones I've got.

What fresh Hell is this?
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
You are spot on I believe.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by jorgeI
I'm still waiting. Close to 1000 rounds each rifle (and the ain't no 223AIs either), 416 Rigby and 375 H&H and no failures. Guess I'm lucky..

That's pretty much how most people go about it. Unless/until a product craps out on you, no problem.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by smokepole
I'm still waiting. Close to 1000 rounds each rifle (and the ain't no 223AIs either), 416 Rigby and 375 H&H and no failures. Guess I'm lucky..

That's pretty much how most people go about it. Unless/until a product craps out on you, no problem.

But to qualify, I did have one VXII 1X4 break something loose inside on a 458WM years ago. Leupold naturally fixed it. In turn, I've had TWO Zeiss Victorys go tits up yet I still own them and would buy another, but Leupolds just give me what I want for much less cost. And just because the Victorys went bad I don't make blanket idiotic statements condemning ALL Zeiss'

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by fredIII
If one shoots! Leupolds go bad

Truth. wink

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Don't take it so seriously wink

Obviously saying a particular brand or model is more prone to failure than others does not mean that every scope they make is garbage or will break in the first 20 shots. It just means that the failure rate is higher, so your chances of having a scope fail on you are higher than certain other brands or models. You clearly have a couple of good ones on those rifles, but of all the scopes I've owned, I've had a higher percentage of Leupolds fail than any other brand (excluding the actual garbage like Simmons), so I tend to avoid them except on set and forget rifles, or when absolute minimal weight is required.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Your experiences and mine as well as EVERYONE here, save maybe for Mule Deer, are all anecdotal. I've had one Leupold in over fifty fail, yet two out of four Zeiss'. So unless there are valid statistics out there with valid methods of effectiveness to accurately track, it's all unreliable. Not doubting your issues w Leupold, just addressing the "all Leupolds are junk" "profundity"...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you consider the experiences from a single individual, I'd agree with you. But when looking at the experiences of dozens of users as a single sample, the results become statistically meaningful. The number of NF scopes I've used is very limited, but based on the experiences of hundreds of other users I'd feel confident that you'd get a very durable and reliable scope if you bought one.

Another person whose work has given him statistically significant experiences with various scopes is Formidilosus.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
True, but for every Leupold hater, there is arguably a proportionate number of "lovers". As to NF scopes, no doubt they are bomb proof, but as a pure hunting scope, I find them needlessly heavy and their reticles was too complicated. Full disclosure I own only TWO "knob turners" a VX3I 3.5X10X40 on my 300 Browning Safari that works as advertised and an inexpensive Nikon 22 Rimfire that also works well. I also tried the B&C reticle this past fall for the first time on an elk hunt and it worked as advertised. 330 yards, put the second ladder on the bull's shoulder and it hit as advertised. That's another scope on a hard kicking rifle that I put well over 200 rounds of practice prior to the hunt and no failures.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I'm 100% in agreement with you. My VX6 was really free I would not buy one. I'm trying to break 3x15 SS's right now. With no luck.

IC B3

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by smokepole
Are you implying that Fred's not a white man?

I'm a sensitive! delicate butterfly 🦋 smoke. LOL.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Starsky, It's great Comedy that a guy who can't afford his own place has such refined taste in optics.
Even funnier that anyone who pins the tail on the free loader is drunk.
Judd says your a good kid at least you don't have those stupid gauges in your ears. Maybe he's right I'll stay open minded. LOL.
You can stop sobbing I will ease up.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I try not to be a "hater" or a "lover", but simply look at my own experiences as well as those of others to decide what scopes to use and buy. Emotions sometimes get in the way of facts, which is detrimental to progress. I'm not implying NF scopes are perfect for hunting, but am simply looking at one aspect of riflescope performance compared between different brands and models- durability and reliability. When looking at a vast sample of different experiences among various individuals, you can cut through the bias and anecdote, and formulate a pragmatic trend of what has low failure rates and what doesn't. This is how we can all agree that NF scopes are bombproof, even though some of those very people have never used one. When a scope proves to be reliable and hiccup-free for 1000+ rounds (I suppose this number should be lower for big-bore DG rifles), I start to think of it as durable and reliable. A couple hundred rounds doesn't tell me much, as that is about when most of my scope failures have occurred.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm 100% in agreement with you. My VX6 was really free I would not buy one. I'm trying to break 3x15 SS's right now. With no luck.

Haha, not surprised. SS scopes are not easy to break. They're one of the hardest, IMO.

O
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
O
I have had a 2x12 VX6 on the rifle I use the most. It is a 375 and it has traveled to Namibia, Botswana, and Zim a few times with me with no problems whatsoever. One of my PH's had the lower power VX6 model on the 458 Lott that he uses every day. VX6 scopes are also on my favorite elk rifle and favorite deer rifle.

I also like the Swarovski scopes and use them.

Surely there have been occasional defects in every product made by man. Some guys must simply like to bash.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Omega51
Surely there have been occasional defects in every product made by man. Some guys must simply like to bash.

Yes, there have. But it's the rate of defects in different brands and models that we should be looking at.

Your statement is like saying that there are some Lada cars that have been perfectly reliable, and every car made by man has the odd failure, so some people must just like to bash Lada. I think most people would agree that this is a silly statement. Just because Toyota has a defect here and there, and Lada also has defects, that doesn't make them equally reliable or durable.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Anyone of the opinion that Leupold reliability went down at the Vari-X III to VX-III transition?

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
😎

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by mathman
Anyone of the opinion that Leupold reliability went down at the Vari-X III to VX-III transition?

It's as simple as pressure from the big box retailers to deliver larger margins. Quality goes down cost stays the same or increases.
It's the reason SS and others. Flourish no middle man means better product at said price point.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Starsky, It's great Comedy that a guy who can't afford his own place has such refined taste in optics.
Even funnier that anyone who pins the tail on the free loader is drunk.
Judd says your a good kid at least you don't have those stupid gauges in your ears. Maybe he's right I'll stay open minded. LOL.
You can stop sobbing I will ease up.

I'm guessing with a year or two post-college, he'll be out-earning you in no time. smile
And, unlike you, likely in a career where his spelling and grammar will be a reflection upon him.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

87 members (7mm_Loco, 338Rules, 6MMWASP, Amos63, 11 invisible), 1,446 guests, and 834 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,083
Posts18,501,664
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.